PDA

View Full Version : LMA at the 5- A new era?

spurs10
09-26-2017, 01:35 AM
Are we getting ready to witness a major shift in our approach? Will LMA play the majority of his minutes at the 5? I've been hoping we see Gay playing the 4 and on the court with Kawhi, and Bertans and Kyle can potentially do the same. With only Gasol and Lauvergne as tradition bigs, are the days of LMA at the 4 going to be limited? Times they are a'changing.....maybe.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-26-2017, 02:02 AM
How is this a major shift? He's been playing the 5 a lot since joining the Spurs and I imagine he'll continue to do so.

spurs10
09-26-2017, 02:34 AM
How is this a major shift? He's been playing the 5 a lot since joining the Spurs and I imagine he'll continue to do so.
He's been playing the 5 some,but not primarily. He was either playing with Dedmon or Gasol a lot of the time. I guess another way to look at it is ask if our small ball minutes will go up considerably. I've been thinking he might start with LMA playing with Gasol, but might not play as much with two traditional bigs as we've often done.

DeRozan m8
09-26-2017, 03:17 AM
Too soft.

And I thought Rudy said he's gonna be a gun off the bench?

It'll happen at times, but can't see it happening much more than it already has.

bklynspursfan
09-26-2017, 07:22 AM
Too soft.

And I thought Rudy said he's gonna be a gun off the bench?

It'll happen at times, but can't see it happening much more than it already has.

They've got 3 bigs, and 1 of which likely won't play much. With LMA/Pau as the only true bigs vs last year with those 2 + Dedmon, Lee, and even Anthony, it seems more small ball is very likely

SAGirl
09-26-2017, 08:00 AM
For sure. I also think it, among others, was a reason that LMA asked for a trade. He's accepted his new role bc he has to. He originally wanted out.

Anyways it may help his game if Pop's adjustments work out and he may end up better than last season.
Or he may not like it, still remain dissatisfied and move on. I am hoping things work out bc Spurs have been missing out on FA recently and they have to maximize what they have as a team. All these guards are meant to increase versatility and playmaking too which should help LMA who is not a playmaker and needs more around him (specially bc if rest and injuries to the old dudes).

John B
09-26-2017, 08:32 AM
With the type of players Spurs are signing this off season, for sure Spurs are running it. LMA will be playing 5 most nights, and 4 with Pau depending on the matchup. OKC/Clips/Pel can go big.

Seventyniner
09-26-2017, 09:30 AM
The Warriors, Rockets, and Thunder will all be starting perimeter-oriented PFs. Aldridge might prefer playing the 5 than having to keep up with Draymond/Ryan Anderson/Carmelo.

NameLess Scrub
09-26-2017, 10:37 AM
He should get in shape.

Thanks.

Also this makes sense.

The Warriors, Rockets, and Thunder will all be starting perimeter-oriented PFs. Aldridge might prefer playing the 5 than having to keep up with Draymond/Ryan Anderson/Carmelo.

hater
09-26-2017, 10:42 AM

Still a puss

cd021
09-26-2017, 10:45 AM
I think the SL stays the same with Murray being subbed in for Parker. Gasol plays the first five minutes of each half at center while LMA plays the first eight minutes of each half ( 5 minutes at PF and 3 at C). Aldridge then slides over to the five and plays the final 8 minutes of each half at Center.

Gasol 26 MPG ( all at center)

Aldridge 32 MPG ( 10 at PF/ 22 at C)

Gay 28 MPG ( all at PF, final 7 minutes of each quarter)

Bertans 10 MPG ( all at PF, first 5 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarter)

duncan2k5
09-26-2017, 10:46 AM
I rather us go big with gay or kawhi at the 2

cd021
09-26-2017, 10:49 AM
With the type of players Spurs are signing this off season, for sure Spurs are running it. LMA will be playing 5 most nights, and 4 with Pau depending on the matchup. OKC/Clips/Pel can go big.

Don't know why the Thunder are among those teams with Westbrook-Roberson-George-Melo-Adams likely being their SL. The Clips and Pelicans are the only teams that can really play big and hurts teams

spurs10
09-26-2017, 11:00 AM
I think the SL stays the same with Murray being subbed in for Parker. Gasol plays the first five minutes of each half at center while LMA plays the first eight minutes of each half ( 5 minutes at PF and 3 at C). Aldridge then slides over to the five and plays the final 8 minutes of each half at Center.

Bertans 10 MPG ( all at PF, first 5 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarter) This is about what I'm thinking. :toast

spurs10
09-26-2017, 01:04 PM
For sure. I also think it, among others, was a reason that LMA asked for a trade. He's accepted his new role bc he has to. He originally wanted out.

Anyways it may help his game if Pop's adjustments work out and he may end up better than last season.
Or he may not like it, still remain dissatisfied and move on. I am hoping things work out bc Spurs have been missing out on FA recently and they have to maximize what they have as a team. All these guards are meant to increase versatility and playmaking too which should help LMA who is not a playmaker and needs more around him (specially bc if rest and injuries to the old dudes). This is really interesting to me because there was speculation about LMA being unhappy here and statements he doesn't like playing the 5. I've just never heard it from him, so I wonder. I agree he will end up likely having a better season with the likely adjustments like you say. Also as Seventniner was saying, he surely doesn't want to be chasing a bunch of guys around the perimeter. His defense was pretty great last year and I expect improvement.

DAF86
09-26-2017, 01:18 PM
If Aldridge is unhappy playing the 5, then he better retire because he has no more place in the NBA playing the 4.

cd021
09-26-2017, 03:44 PM
If Aldridge is unhappy playing the 5, then he better retire because he has no more place in the NBA playing the 4.

Why would he be unhappy? Playing the 5 now is pretty much like playing the 5 four years ago. Seems fairly common now for for SFs and PFs to slide up.

cd98
09-26-2017, 03:58 PM
A big man that loves to shoot outside. Wasn't he a 5 last year?

RD2191
09-26-2017, 04:56 PM

tholdren
09-26-2017, 05:29 PM
The only real position in the nba is the 1, and that is slowly fading away.

itzsoweezee
09-26-2017, 06:30 PM
He could really extend his career is he plays the 5, especially if his fat ass gets in shape (no offense to LMA if he's out of shape because of the heart condition).

Leetonidas
09-26-2017, 06:56 PM
Yeah hopefully Aldridge has gotten the fuck over it because most of the spurs best lineups will be with him at C. And with the NBA trending smaller and smaller with traditional low post players being virtually extinct these days it shouldn't even be a big deal. Its obvious spurs best lineups will feature LMA at the 5 with Gay/Bertans/Anderson next to him at the PF spot

cutewizard
09-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Olajuwon would still thrive in todays NBA.....

DAF86
09-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Why would he be unhappy?

I don't know. Those are the reports.

spurs10
09-26-2017, 09:00 PM
Yeah hopefully Aldridge has gotten the fuck over it because most of the spurs best lineups will be with him at C. And with the NBA trending smaller and smaller with traditional low post players being virtually extinct these days it shouldn't even be a big deal. Its obvious spurs best lineups will feature LMA at the 5 with Gay/Bertans/Anderson next to him at the PF spot
Agree!

TD 21
09-28-2017, 05:24 PM
He's played 46 and 31% of C, respectively, the past 2 seasons. The number will inevitably go up some, but the bigger shift won't be in the designation, but in one big lineups. Last season, he played 89% of his minutes next to a true big. With his knees feeling better (for now, at least) and him appearing to be in better shape, hopefully his defensive rebounding bounces back to '12-'16 levels.

A lot has changed in the past 2 seasons, to the point where he's probably aware and accepts, that he's going to be playing plenty of C for the remainder of his career. He'll probably always chafe if referred to as one though.

Bertans 10 MPG ( all at PF, first 5 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarter)

Been saying pretty much this for a while.

In reality though, the only projected starting lineups where Aldridge would be more suited to start at PF are: Cavaliers, Clippers, Timberwolves, Knicks, Pelicans, Kings, Raptors, Jazz.

spurs10
09-29-2017, 08:26 PM
He's played 46 and 31% of C, respectively, the past 2 seasons. The number will inevitably go up some, but the bigger shift won't be in the designation, but in one big lineups. Last season, he played 89% of his minutes next to a true big. With his knees feeling better (for now, at least) and him appearing to be in better shape, hopefully his defensive rebounding bounces back to '12-'16 levels.

A lot has changed in the past 2 seasons, to the point where he's probably aware and accepts, that he's going to be playing plenty of C for the remainder of his career. He'll probably always chafe if referred to as one though.

Been saying pretty much this for a while.

In reality though, the only projected starting lineups where Aldridge would be more suited to start at PF are: Cavaliers, Clippers, Timberwolves, Knicks, Pelicans, Kings, Raptors, Jazz. Thanks for this. That's quite revealing that he played 89% of his time with a true big on the floor with him. I think your dead on about the biggest shift being the one big lineup. It certainly seem like this will be the case. Too bad we are playing ourselves tomorrow as there won't be much revealed. Looking forward to it though.

james evans
10-02-2017, 04:57 PM
as long as we don't see him and Gasol on the floor TOGETHER I don't give a damn what that bum does

BillMc
10-02-2017, 05:40 PM
He's played 46 and 31% of C, respectively, the past 2 seasons.

Thanks.

So, he played more time at center in 2016 than last year? (Or am I reading that backwards?) If he played more time at center his first year as a Spur, he should be happy as he had one of the most efficient years of his career, especially the second half of the season.

But, I think, he's chasing raw numbers (points per game regardless of efficiency)

spurs10
10-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Thanks.

So, he played more time at center in 2016 than last year? (Or am I reading that backwards?) If he played more time at center his first year as a Spur, he should be happy as he had one of the most efficient years of his career, especially the second half of the season.

But, I think, he's chasing raw numbers (points per game regardless of efficiency) Definitely have TP and the Wilburys on my mind today along with the other American tragedy.

BillMc
10-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Definitely have TP and the Wilburys on my mind today along with the other American tragedy.

Yeah, tragic day all around my friend.

Seventyniner
10-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Thanks.

But, I think, he's chasing raw numbers (points per game regardless of efficiency)

It's surprising that there was that big of a difference from 2016 to 2017 given that Duncan and Pau played nearly identical numbers of games and minutes.

I would expect LMA to go to 60% at C this year because playing alongside Pau or Joffrey will make rotations really difficult.

Chinook
10-02-2017, 06:02 PM
It's surprising that there was that big of a difference from 2016 to 2017 given that Duncan and Pau played nearly identical numbers of games and minutes.

I would expect LMA to go to 60% at C this year because playing alongside Pau or Joffrey will make rotations really difficult.

Duncan didn't come off the bench, though.

Seventyniner
10-02-2017, 07:07 PM
Duncan didn't come off the bench, though.

True. Duncan played 61 games and started 60, Pau played 64 games and started 39.

But those numbers would point to LMA playing more C in 2017 than 2016 and the reverse was true. I guess in 2016 LMA was the starting PF and basically the backup C, while in 2017 Pau and Dedmon took up more C minutes than Duncan and Boban did in 2016.

SAGirl
10-02-2017, 07:18 PM
True. Duncan played 61 games and started 60, Pau played 64 games and started 39.

But those numbers would point to LMA playing more C in 2017 than 2016 and the reverse was true. I guess in 2016 LMA was the starting PF and basically the backup C, while in 2017 Pau and Dedmon took up more C minutes than Duncan and Boban did in 2016.
No bc back when TD got hurt, DWEst started several games and the other guy to start games next to him even if it was just 15 minutes overall played was Kyle. Yup.

This time, Dedmon started instead. The others to occasionally get tagged for those minutes were Lee and Pau, who still closed games etc. Very rarely was there a few minutes of a Bertans or Kyle sighting with LMA. I could probably count those games in one hand.

Seventyniner
10-02-2017, 11:00 PM
No bc back when TD got hurt, DWEst started several games and the other guy to start games next to him even if it was just 15 minutes overall played was Kyle. Yup.

This time, Dedmon started instead. The others to occasionally get tagged for those minutes were Lee and Pau, who still closed games etc. Very rarely was there a few minutes of a Bertans or Kyle sighting with LMA. I could probably count those games in one hand.

West played basically half his minutes at PF and half at C in 2016, while Dedmon was a full-time C. That probably explains the difference. West at C and LMA at PF is like when Duncan was a C in all but name and would start at "PF" alongside the "C" Blair.