PDA

View Full Version : baseline bum, pgardn, Agloco, Fabbs, etc - Book advice plz

Mark Celibate
09-26-2017, 06:51 PM
sorry to any other Physics buddies out there who I forgot, but these four are the mt rushmore here on spurstalk.

have any of you guys read modern physics vol 1 by Singh? tbh it seems like it's down my alley w/ an intro to the mathematics of quantum theory but also pretty introductory on statistical mechanics of basic chemical processes. I've been gaining more interest in the latter since learning how chemistry REALLY works will help shake off my disgust for the retarded order that American education teaches it. I have the rudimentary precepts down so I think my brainlet self can handle the material.

what do you guys think? anybody read it?

spurraider21
09-27-2017, 04:01 PM
I've found "everybody poops" to be a nice primer on gravity

baseline bum
09-27-2017, 05:49 PM

Interesting. I have yet to find a book I like on GR tbh. Carroll is alright I guess but god damn MTW is a slog.

Avante
09-27-2017, 08:37 PM

Dude............grow the fuck up.....ok?

monosylab1k
09-27-2017, 09:30 PM
Dude............grow the fuck up.....ok?

Too bad you didn’t say that to all the young Olongapo girls.

pgardn
09-27-2017, 10:44 PM
sorry to any other Physics buddies out there who I forgot, but these four are the mt rushmore here on spurstalk.

have any of you guys read modern physics vol 1 by Singh? tbh it seems like it's down my alley w/ an intro to the mathematics of quantum theory but also pretty introductory on statistical mechanics of basic chemical processes. I've been gaining more interest in the latter since learning how chemistry REALLY works will help shake off my disgust for the retarded order that American education teaches it. I have the rudimentary precepts down so I think my brainlet self can handle the material.

Nope.

I can't handle the math in most of the modern stuff unless I'm actively engaged with it daily. I'm satisfied with reading mechanics again when my cohort's kids take AP Physics I. I looked at the practice tests and such and it looks like they have made a very nice course out of this compared to Physics B. There is a lot of stuff on that practice exam that has made me realize I had some misconceptions concerning some very fundamental concepts. Not as easy as I remembered. I applaud the College board for a really neat course. Now maybe they will start grading it easier because they are just killing these kids.

pgardn
09-27-2017, 10:46 PM

O

Avante
09-27-2017, 10:55 PM

Too bad you're so damn dumb ya think young girls worked in bars. Dude, 18 was the drinking age ya dumb fuck, ok?

My God we have some idiots here.

Does anyone here get this at all? BARS....DRINKS....and little kids...really? THINK...ok?

TimDunkem
09-28-2017, 01:56 AM
https://i.imgur.com/FqbakJj.jpg

Mark Celibate
09-28-2017, 07:47 PM
Nope.

I can't handle the math in most of the modern stuff unless I'm actively engaged with it daily. I'm satisfied with reading mechanics again when my cohort's kids take AP Physics I. I looked at the practice tests and such and it looks like they have made a very nice course out of this compared to Physics B. There is a lot of stuff on that practice exam that has made me realize I had some misconceptions concerning some very fundamental concepts. Not as easy as I remembered. I applaud the College board for a really neat course. Now maybe they will start grading it easier because they are just killing these kids.

What exactly is Physics B? In my area, there's AP Physics I, II and C. I figured it's probably the same as II (fluids, thermo, e&m) but called B in certain places

SnakeBoy
09-29-2017, 02:56 AM
What exactly is Physics B? In my area, there's AP Physics I, II and C. I figured it's probably the same as II (fluids, thermo, e&m) but called B in certain places

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_Physics_B

pgardn
09-29-2017, 09:03 AM

Its the old version of what is now two courses, AP Physics I and AP Physics II.
AP physics B was clearly a mile wide and an inch deep. And is officially no longer in existence. All are Algebra based.

AP Physics C is still intact and is calculus based. I imagine, after seeing what has been done with AP B, the College Board remakes the AP Physics C to involve more writing and conceptual stuff. Not just come up with a stepwise math identity in variable land. I imagine the kids will now have to explain, using English sentences, their conceptual reasoning of their thinking.

But I could be wrong, they may leave it alone. The teachers will most likely throw a fit as they might have to change their tried and true teaching methods of a course that has apparently remained much the same since 73 or so...

It appears that All these changes come about because professors claim the incoming students don't have a good conceptual background. But they can do math. Or maybe it has something to do with too many kids placing out, and the colleges need them to take the intro courses for $. I don't know. Lots of in's and out's for the dude to consider.

Back to the real job. I must flee.

Mark Celibate
09-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Its the old version of what is now two courses, AP Physics I and AP Physics II.
AP physics B was clearly a mile wide and an inch deep. And is officially no longer in existence. All are Algebra based.

AP Physics C is still intact and is calculus based. I imagine, after seeing what has been done with AP B, the College Board remakes the AP Physics C to involve more writing and conceptual stuff. Not just come up with a stepwise math identity in variable land. I imagine the kids will now have to explain, using English sentences, their conceptual reasoning of their thinking.

But I could be wrong, they may leave it alone. The teachers will most likely throw a fit as they might have to change their tried and true teaching methods of a course that has apparently remained much the same since 73 or so...

It appears that All these changes come about because professors claim the incoming students don't have a good conceptual background. But they can do math. Or maybe it has something to do with too many kids placing out, and the colleges need them to take the intro courses for $. I don't know. Lots of in's and out's for the dude to consider.

Back to the real job. I must flee.

tbh I actually was able to tutor one student privately in Physics C after I talked to you that one time. I had to quickly refresh myself on a few things (nonuniform density) but I wanted to see what the main difference between that and Physics I was. Surpisingly, it was not much other than the Calculus. The conceptual questions were largely the same but I think they delved a deeper with capacitors and gravitational fields. They didn't have much trouble with the Newtonian Mechanics semester, but most of the F.R.Q's were just deriving formulas using basic integration (moment of inertia formulas, gravitational force inside sphere with uniform density, etc), which took some practice. Obviously the E&M stuff is much harder.

The main struggle, IMO, was switching variables of integration, especially with the E&M material (i.e. dq --> dtheta). That took a lot of practice and I don't think the Cal AB/BC courses do a good job at all of applying those concepts. All the Calculus textbooks have is just a unit on 'u-substitution' but I haven't seen many word problems that show it's importance. You just kinda have to 'know it', it seems, in Physics C.

I'm like you in that I work a completely different job (tech field) but Physics/Math has always been fun. Starting to get into philosophy especially the postmodernism stuff. Always good to be well read, IMO

baseline bum
09-29-2017, 06:44 PM
tbh I actually was able to tutor one student privately in Physics C after I talked to you that one time. I had to quickly refresh myself on a few things (nonuniform density) but I wanted to see what the main difference between that and Physics I was. Surpisingly, it was not much other than the Calculus. The conceptual questions were largely the same but I think they delved a deeper with capacitors and gravitational fields. They didn't have much trouble with the Newtonian Mechanics semester, but most of the F.R.Q's were just deriving formulas using basic integration (moment of inertia formulas, gravitational force inside sphere with uniform density, etc), which took some practice. Obviously the E&M stuff is much harder.

The main struggle, IMO, was switching variables of integration, especially with the E&M material (i.e. dq --> dtheta). That took a lot of practice and I don't think the Cal AB/BC courses do a good job at all of applying those concepts. All the Calculus textbooks have is just a unit on 'u-substitution' but I haven't seen many word problems that show it's importance. You just kinda have to 'know it', it seems, in Physics C.

I'm like you in that I work a completely different job (tech field) but Physics/Math has always been fun. Starting to get into philosophy especially the postmodernism stuff. Always good to be well read, IMO

You ever heard of Kleppner & Kolenkow's book on mechanics? It's freshman physics on steroids. It's a really tough book with a bunch of interesting problems and it has probably the best explanation of Newton's laws I have ever read. It's a straight freshman book but targeted at someone who has a good background in vector calculus. I think what makes E&M so tough at HS/freshman level is you're constantly making symmetry arguments because most people don't have the math background to set up the integrals in spherical coordinates and such at that level. Those integrals sometimes require a lot of cleverness to set up if you only know how to do them in 1D.

baseline bum
09-29-2017, 06:56 PM

Never read it. If you want a good intro to QM though check out MIT OCW's 8.04. Both the course by Adams and the course by Zwiebach are awesome. If you know just the basics of probability and linear algebra you should have no problem with either since you obviously have the background in E&M and waves. For special relativity I don't think there is anything that compares to Taylor & Wheeler's book Spacetime Physics. Though I'd get the first edition from the 1960s, as the book seems like it got dumbed down some in the second edition. The book is cheap as hell too, I think I got my copy for $15 used off Amazon.

Mark Celibate
09-29-2017, 09:57 PM
:tu thanks for the recommendations, bb. The only Physics book I have is the common college textbook one by Jewett which is not that great. I'll look into the K&K book for sure

koriwhat
09-29-2017, 10:14 PM
to name a few... the alchemist, anything by gary vee, 48 laws of power.

baseline bum
09-29-2017, 10:15 PM
:tu thanks for the recommendations, bb. The only Physics book I have is the common college textbook one by Jewett which is not that great. I'll look into the K&K book for sure

Here's Kleppner & Kolenkow in djvu format:

https://libgen.pw/view.php?id=144412

And here's Spacetime Physics by Taylor & Wheeler

https://libgen.pw/view.php?id=764589

Another really cool mechanics book is Classical Mechanics from another Taylor (agloco recommended this one to me). This one is more upper division undergrad, though I think a bit easier than Kleppner & Kolenkow.

https://libgen.pw/view.php?id=520784

UNT Eagles 2016
10-01-2017, 07:19 PM
who reads textbooks except for a class?

Mark Celibate
10-03-2017, 06:47 PM
who reads textbooks except for a class?

lolwut?

>interested in subject
>sees that it's also something he learned in school
>"Oh no! IT's a textbook! I'm out of college now so I guess I'm not supposed to read it, aw shucks"

gr8 b8, m8

tbh don't you work in the tech field?

>works in Tech industry
>refuses to continue learning new skills

pick one

????

BD24
10-05-2017, 09:34 AM
He did though, said he was going to make them a woman.

Mark Celibate
10-14-2017, 09:46 PM
Fairly pleased with the QM book by Griffiths . Explains things pretty well and surprisingly straightforward so far. I've forgotten a lot of my PDE's so I'm having to cross reference Strauss's book a lot while reading.

The Modern Physics by Singh has been a little rough tho