PDA

View Full Version : BCS Rankings

NoMoneyDown
10-17-2005, 01:25 PM
BCS Rankings (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bcs.htm)

1. USC
2. Texas
3. VTech
7. Texas Tech

I wonder if UT will move up WHEN they beat TT? Nah - what am I thinking.

Marcus Bryant
10-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Well, what matters is that UT's strength of schedule has improved while Va Tech won't have the prospect of facing a highly ranked Florida State to give them the opportunity to leapfrog Texas in the rankings.

The only way Texas is going to end up 1 is if they win out this season.

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 01:46 PM
That Tech/UT game is going to be huge.

I don't get into College Football much, but I'm pumped about that game.

samikeyp
10-17-2005, 01:46 PM

and SC loses.

SWC Bonfire
10-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Strength of schedule only affects the induvidual polls, and is no longer figured into the BCS formula directly.

NoMoneyDown
10-17-2005, 01:53 PM
I'd rather Texas hold the #2 slot, so when they pound the crap outta USC, the pollsters can look even more ridiculous for riding on the Trojan bandwagon. If you look at THIS year's games alone, it isn't hard to see Texas is the better ball club. The ONLY team USC has beaten this year with any significance is ND, and that was with seconds to go. BTW, ND is one slot behind tOSU in the BCS.

Willinsa
10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Well, what matters is that UT's strength of schedule has improved while Va Tech won't have the prospect of facing a highly ranked Florida State to give them the opportunity to leapfrog Texas in the rankings.

I think you are right, USC still has to play Cal in Berkeley and anything can happen in that game.

slayermin
10-17-2005, 02:28 PM
SC should and deserves to be number one until they lose. They have won 28 straight. Any team that is on that type of streak should be the top dawg until they get knocked off. I don't care if their point differential isn't as good as the teams below them.

samikeyp
10-17-2005, 02:30 PM
I think you are right, USC still has to play Cal in Berkeley and anything can happen in that game.

True and UCLA is better this year also.

FromWayDowntown
10-17-2005, 02:39 PM
I'd rather Texas hold the #2 slot, so when they pound the crap outta USC, the pollsters can look even more ridiculous for riding on the Trojan bandwagon. If you look at THIS year's games alone, it isn't hard to see Texas is the better ball club. The ONLY team USC has beaten this year with any significance is ND, and that was with seconds to go. BTW, ND is one slot behind tOSU in the BCS.

Man, some of you guys blast on the Pac-10 like it was District 26-AAAAA or something. SC has beaten several ranked teams this season (more than can be said for UT at this point) including wins over Oregon and Notre Dame on the road (ASU was also ranked with SC beat them in Tempe -- if Colorado counts as a win over a ranked team for UT, then ASU serves the same purpose for USC). If you go on current rankings, SC's win in Eugene is about the same as UT's win in Columbus, (Oregon is #13 in the BCS rankings; Ohio State is #15) though USC won big in Eugene and UT barely got it done in Columbus.

The Pac-10 has 4 teams that are ranked in both major polls and 4 teams in the BCS top 25. The Big XII has 2 teams that are ranked in both major polls (1 excluding Texas -- and most Orangebloods think that other ranked team sucks) and 3 teams in the BCS top 25 (though Texas doesn't play Nebraska this year).

I have a very hard time seeing that Texas is the "better ball club," since UT hasn't played

IceColdBrewski
10-17-2005, 02:45 PM
The ONLY team USC has beaten this year with any significance is ND, and that was with seconds to go. BTW, ND is one slot behind tOSU in the BCS.

Take off the burnt orange glasses ya homer. USC has played a much tougher schedule than Texas.

Dre_7
10-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Man, some of you guys blast on the Pac-10 like it was District 26-AAAAA or something. SC has beaten several ranked teams this season (more than can be said for UT at this point) including wins over Oregon and Notre Dame on the road (ASU was also ranked with SC beat them in Tempe -- if Colorado counts as a win over a ranked team for UT, then ASU serves the same purpose for USC). If you go on current rankings, SC's win in Eugene is about the same as UT's win in Columbus, (Oregon is #13 in the BCS rankings; Ohio State is #15) though USC won big in Eugene and UT barely got it done in Columbus.

The Pac-10 has 4 teams that are ranked in both major polls and 4 teams in the BCS top 25. The Big XII has 2 teams that are ranked in both major polls (1 excluding Texas -- and most Orangebloods think that other ranked team sucks) and 3 teams in the BCS top 25 (though Texas doesn't play Nebraska this year).

I have a very hard time seeing that Texas is the "better ball club," since UT hasn't played

Thank you FWD! Finally, a non-homer post. No way UT should be number one at this point.

NoMoneyDown
10-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Take off the burnt orange glasses ya homer. USC has played a much tougher schedule than Texas.

Yeah, including a come-from-behind 10pt win vs. unranked ASU. Impressive.

Like I said, I hope USC stays at #1 and UT is #2 when the RS is over.

samikeyp
10-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Thank you FWD! Finally, a non-homer post. No way UT should be number one at this point.

Look again.

and SC loses.

FromWayDowntown
10-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Yeah, including a come-from-behind 10pt win vs. unranked ASU. Impressive.

Well, ASU was ranked #14 at the time that game was played. That's right about where OSU is ranked right now. Plus, SC has beaten Oregon and Notre Dame on the road -- both of which are ranked right about where Ohio State is.

If a 3 point win in Columbus counts as an impressive win for Texas, then a 32 point win over Oregon on the road and a 3 point win over Notre Dame on the road must be equally impressive, given where all of those teams are ranked. The difference, of course, is that USC has 2 such wins, while Texas only has 1. And if USC runs the table, they will have done so against a much, much tougher schedule than UT. (I think the same will be true if Virginia Tech runs the table -- the Hokies will have at least beaten Miami and perhaps Florida State, both of which are at least as good as anyone UT and USC will have beaten).

dmac
10-17-2005, 03:11 PM

1. USC
2. Texas
3. VTech
7. Texas Tech

I wonder if UT will move up WHEN they beat TT? Nah - what am I thinking.

I thought it was the BS not the BCS Rankings...

Dre_7
10-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Both USC and Va Tech have a tougher schedule than UT.

samikeyp
10-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Va Tech (6-0):
opponents played combined record: 18-19
opponets still to play combined record: 21-9
ranked opponents (ranking at the time played): Ga Tech #15
ranked opponents still to be played (current ranking...subject to change):
BC #13, Miami #6, UVA #23

FromWayDowntown
10-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Va Tech (6-0):
ranked opponents (ranking at the time played): None

Not true. Virginia Tech beat then #15 Georgia Tech 51-7 on September 24.

Marcus Bryant
10-17-2005, 03:57 PM
and SC loses.

Well, that's the idea. Same date, same field and same time.

samikeyp
10-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Not true. Virginia Tech beat then #15 Georgia Tech 51-7 on September 24.

My bad...will edit.

Mr Dio
10-17-2005, 05:34 PM

1. USC
2. Texas
3. VTech
7. Texas Tech

:lmao

This has got to make some ladies very made. :lol
It'd be cool to see TxTech win out though, they're the only other school with at least more than a handful of classy fans & they don't have a boat full of bandwagoners. :lol

Marcus Bryant
10-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Tech has "classy fans"? I think I've heard it all.

hussker
10-17-2005, 05:41 PM

Texas will play Nebraska this yr..., in the Big XII Championship. And they better hope they do because both really have to win out to get there. If Texas loses, they will be out. If Nebraska loses, it means that the Horns play a weaker ranked team in the BCS Standings at the time of the game.

Make no mistake, I am not saying the Huskers will win the Big XII, but it does seem in the best interest of Texas is both of those teams win out.

hussker
10-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Here is the updated BS poll...Just for your enjoyment.

deleted link...OUTDATED...

samikeyp
10-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Someone is going to get screwed in all this.....that is why we need a playoff.

KewlKat00
10-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Someone is going to get screwed in all this.....that is why we need a playoff.

part of me wants a playoff, but the other part of me doesn't. i don't think the season would be as exciting.

Jdspur20
10-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Tech has "classy fans"? I think I've heard it all.

yes and texas fans are saints :rolleyes