PDA

View Full Version : Rebecca Bredow Jailed 7 Days for Refusing to Vaccinate Son

ducks
10-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Rebecca Bredow didn't think her child needed vaccinations, but a circuit judge said otherwise, and the Michigan mother was sentenced to seven days jail time for her anti-immunization stance.

ABC News reported Bredow was sentenced for contempt of court after failing to comply with a judge’s order to get her nine-year-old son’s vaccinations up to date. She had appeared in Oakland County Circuit Court on Wednesday morning.

WXYZ Channel 7 reported she failed to comply with court orders going back to November 2016. Bredow’s opposition to vaccination was part of a custody battle with her ex-husband Jason Horne who wanted the child to be vaccinated.

Horne was to get temporary custody of the child while Bredow served her time.

This wasn’t the first time a court has sentenced a parent to jail time for failing to get their children vaccinated. An Alberta father, David Stephan was sentenced to four months in jail while his wife Collet spent three months under house arrest after their toddler died of meningitis, per the Huffington Post.

Speaking at the hearing on Wednesday, Bredow said it was not her intent to disrespect the court and that she is not a lazy mother.

“I’m a passionate mother who cares deeply about my children, their health and their well-being. … If my child was forced to be vaccinated, I couldn’t bring myself to do it,” she said.

ducks
10-05-2017, 12:53 PM
The mother told the The Washington Post that she’s not against vaccination, although it is against her religious beliefs. “This is about choice,” she said. “This is about having my choices as a mother to be able to make medical choices for my child.”

spurraider21
10-05-2017, 01:47 PM
She's making medical choices for all the children her son comes into contact with

rmt
10-05-2017, 04:32 PM
She's making medical choices for all the children her son comes into contact with

I guess those children shouldn't go to Disney World or ride a bus/train or sit in a movie theater/concert - heaven forbid they sit beside some tourist/visitor from some foreign country who's not vaccinated. Or sit in some class room with a homeless kid or one from some disaster area like earthquake in Haiti (who don't need to show immunization records). Don't go visiting any third world country either.

DMC
10-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Fuck her, she can live on an island with her doomed offspring.

DMC
10-05-2017, 04:34 PM
I guess those children shouldn't go to Disney World or ride a bus/train or sit in a movie theater/concert - heaven forbid they sit beside some tourist/visitor from some foreign country who's not vaccinated. Or sit in some class room with a homeless kid or one from some disaster area like earthquake in Haiti (who don't need to show immunization records). Don't go visiting any third world country either.
If they are vaccinated they should be fine. That's the entire issue. Would you want your unvaccinated child exposed to another child from one of those countries?

rmt
10-05-2017, 04:58 PM
If they are vaccinated they should be fine. That's the entire issue. Would you want your unvaccinated child exposed to another child from one of those countries?

My response is to spurraider21 that this mother is not making medical choices for all the children her son comes in contact with - no more than if parents take their children to Disney World, bus, train, etc. and sits beside some homeless/foreign person. That's her choice for her son and a risk she is willing to take - she's not making that choice for the other children. And my child is (partially) unvaccinated for chicken pox and measles because imo, the risk for harm from the vaccine is greater than him (possibly) catching chickenpox or measles.

Spurminator
10-05-2017, 05:06 PM
My response is to spurraider21 that this mother is not making medical choices for all the children her son comes in contact with - no more than if parents take their children to Disney World, bus, train, etc. and sits beside some homeless/foreign person. That's her choice for her son and a risk she is willing to take - she's not making that choice for the other children.

What risk is there in taking a vaccinated child to Disney World even if he's exposed to unvaccinated children?

rmt
10-05-2017, 05:13 PM
What risk is there in taking a vaccinated child to Disney World even if he's exposed to unvaccinated children?

If you think that there's no risk in taking a vaccinated child to Disney World even if he's exposed to unvaccinated children, then there's no risk regarding this woman's child too, right? My point is that she's not as Spurraider21 said making medical choices for all the other children her son comes in contact with.

SnakeBoy
10-05-2017, 06:30 PM

How so?

spurraider21
10-05-2017, 06:33 PM
How so?
Potentially exposing others to whatever disease her children are deliberately vulnerable to. Particularly those kids who have certain immune system issues that prevent them from getting vaccinated on the preferred schedule. Those kids are dependent on herd immunization.

SnakeBoy
10-05-2017, 06:43 PM
Potentially exposing others to whatever disease her children are deliberately vulnerable to. Particularly those kids who have certain immune system issues that prevent them from getting vaccinated on the preferred schedule. Those kids are dependent on herd immunization.

Oh okay. It's just like the argument that unvaccinated illegal aliens are spreading disease.

Seems like a stretch to me. I'd just say she is a shitty parent risking her kids health for no valid reason.

spurraider21
10-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Oh okay. It's just like the argument that unvaccinated illegal aliens are spreading disease.

Seems like a stretch to me. I'd just say she is a shitty parent risking her kids health for no valid reason.
Yeah I'm not suggesting it's gonna launch the bubonic plague. If 3% of kids don't have a certain vaccination, they are still protected by the 97% that are, as it minimizes potential exposure. The more unvaccinated people you add to the population, the more you endanger the others

DMC
10-05-2017, 07:27 PM
My response is to spurraider21 that this mother is not making medical choices for all the children her son comes in contact with - no more than if parents take their children to Disney World, bus, train, etc. and sits beside some homeless/foreign person. That's her choice for her son and a risk she is willing to take - she's not making that choice for the other children. And my child is (partially) unvaccinated for chicken pox and measles because imo, the risk for harm from the vaccine is greater than him (possibly) catching chickenpox or measles.

She doesn't need to make those choices. If her son is inoculated, those terrible diseases won't fuck him up.

What if she chooses to not use a child safety seat, or to burn him with cigarettes?

DMC
10-05-2017, 07:29 PM
If you think that there's no risk in taking a vaccinated child to Disney World even if he's exposed to unvaccinated children, then there's no risk regarding this woman's child too, right? My point is that she's not as Spurraider21 said making medical choices for all the other children her son comes in contact with.

Collectively each parent is making the decisions for every child, so should all children not be inoculated?

rmt
10-05-2017, 09:44 PM
If this woman is willing to be jailed for whatever reason she chooses to not vaccinate her child (whether religious, philosophical, etc), why is the court/school so insistent on pursuing her enough to jail her when there are homeless kids and disaster-related kids allowed in schools unvaccinated? This woman is probably an American citizen who pays taxes but homeless/Haitian kids/parents are allowed to do things she/her son are not? Why is there not an emphasis on tourists/visitors/etc. being vaccinated before they enter the country if it is such a public safety issue?

Do you know that if my child does Miami-Dade Virtual School (totally online) and never sets foot on school property, he still has to be vaccinated in order to enroll. There are just no other options short of homeschooling and trying to get into college without a high school diploma (meaning acing standardized tests/proving yourself in other ways) or getting a GED. I had to go to 3 allergists in order to get a medical exemption for my son to enroll in public school.

Home-educated students are eligible to participate in the public schools’ interscholastic extracurricular activities (not a word about immunizations/vaccines). Florida Statutes § 1006.15.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=1000-1099/1006/Sections/1006.15.html

Chris
10-05-2017, 09:46 PM
Pump your kid full of this shit, or you're going to the slammer bitch.

rjv
10-06-2017, 09:41 AM
she made an agreement with the court which she failed to comply and this non-compliance resulted in undue stress on the other parent. this violates the family law act, so the judge ruled her in contempt. pretty standard procedure.

Chucho
10-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Pump your kid full of this shit, or you're going to the slammer bitch.

Just stay out of a female's uterus, babies still need a'killin. Body autonomy my ass.

Trainwreck2100
10-06-2017, 10:20 AM

Wtf are you talking about, if her kids come in contact with vaccinated kids then the vaccinated kids would be fine because theyre vaccinated. Thats how vaccines work.

DMC
10-08-2017, 11:39 AM
If this woman is willing to be jailed for whatever reason she chooses to not vaccinate her child (whether religious, philosophical, etc), why is the court/school so insistent on pursuing her enough to jail her when there are homeless kids and disaster-related kids allowed in schools unvaccinated? This woman is probably an American citizen who pays taxes but homeless/Haitian kids/parents are allowed to do things she/her son are not? Why is there not an emphasis on tourists/visitors/etc. being vaccinated before they enter the country if it is such a public safety issue?

Do you know that if my child does Miami-Dade Virtual School (totally online) and never sets foot on school property, he still has to be vaccinated in order to enroll. There are just no other options short of homeschooling and trying to get into college without a high school diploma (meaning acing standardized tests/proving yourself in other ways) or getting a GED. I had to go to 3 allergists in order to get a medical exemption for my son to enroll in public school.

Home-educated students are eligible to participate in the public schools’ interscholastic extracurricular activities (not a word about immunizations/vaccines). Florida Statutes § 1006.15.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=1000-1099/1006/Sections/1006.15.html

He also has to be in a child safety seat if of age. Should that also be optional?

ElNono
10-08-2017, 02:26 PM
The lessons here:

1) Ignorance is never a judicial defense.
2) We live in a society where judicial rulings are binding, thus disregarding court orders is unwise

Now this person will likely also get fucked over in any future custody battles due to her own ignorance/negligence too. And it's all her own doing.

ElNono
10-08-2017, 02:30 PM

If your child is a special case, and you can prove it with expert testimony, you can always get a declaratory judgement about it. Every school is bound to it.

rmt
10-08-2017, 02:53 PM
No comment about special treatment for Haitian kids - oh, free breakfast and lunch too - foreign kids receiving special treatment over US citizens.

Pavlov
10-08-2017, 02:58 PM
No comment about special treatment for Haitian kids - oh, free breakfast and lunch too - foreign kids receiving special treatment over US citizens.Trump should fix this!

ElNono
10-08-2017, 03:41 PM
No comment about special treatment for Haitian kids - oh, free breakfast and lunch too - foreign kids receiving special treatment over US citizens.

I’m not familiar with Haitian kids, I suspect the US decided to lend a hand due to the catastrophe they suffered?

I don’t particularly see how that’s related to the OP...

Pavlov
10-08-2017, 03:47 PM
No comment about special treatment for Haitian kids - oh, free breakfast and lunch too - foreign kids receiving special treatment over US citizens.You're going to have to give us more information about this Haitian kid business.

If you are designated as a refugee, your eligibility for services begins on the date of your arrival. The information below details the services you may be eligible to receive.

Health Services
Upon arrival, you are eligible for eight months of Medicaid or Refugee Medical Assistance (RMA). Medicaid and RMA are free insurance programs designed to assist you with any medical problems you may have. If your spouse or children enter the United States with refugee status after your arrival, their eight months of eligibility begins when they arrive.. You must apply for Medicaid online in order to receive the service. It may take time for your application to be processed and to receive your Medicaid card.

While you are waiting for your Medicaid eligibility to be processed, you are eligible to receive a free health assessment at your county health department within 90 days from your date of arrival. They will test your blood and stool samples to determine if you have any medical problems. They will also provide immunizations which are required for adjustment to Lawful Permanent Resident status. If a medical problem is identified during your assessment, they will refer you for additional medical care. Your medical care will be paid by Medicaid or RMA for eight months from your date of arrival. After eight months, you will need to reapply for Medicaid and meet the eligibility criteria to receive those benefits again.

http://www.floridahealth.gov/programs-and-services/community-health/refugee-health/refugee-information.html

If it's because they aren't letting them apply for permanent resident status, maybe they should rethink that.

rmt
10-08-2017, 05:16 PM
I’m not familiar with Haitian kids, I suspect the US decided to lend a hand due to the catastrophe they suffered?

I don’t particularly see how that’s related to the OP...

That these Haitian kids can sit in public schools unvaccinated while US citizens can't. That they get free lunch and some US citizens don't. Ditto for homeless kids although they are probably US citizens.

ElNono
10-08-2017, 06:39 PM
That these Haitian kids can sit in public schools unvaccinated while US citizens can't. That they get free lunch and some US citizens don't. Ditto for homeless kids although they are probably US citizens.

Did you read the OP? The mother disobeyed a direct order from a judge. That has nothing to do with kids in extenuating circumstances.

There's no excuse for an ignorant mother to disobey a court order. She could've appealed the order, fight it in the proper venue (court), but instead made the wrong choice.

Has nothing to do with citizenship or not.