View Full Version : The Forbes conundrum

TD 21
10-08-2017, 05:27 PM
Logically: Wait until mid season, when Parker will be back and Forbes will have had a few months to further prove himself, to shop Mills, a significantly older and more expensive version.

Realistically: Mills is a card carrying member of Spurs University, replete with his PhD and because of that, along with his ability to be a bridge or sorts, imparting their culture to the next generation, he's not going anywhere.

Conclusion: Start shopping Forbes around mid season, with the intention being to turn him into a legit 2nd. It's either that or likely lose him for nothing in the off season. Either some smart team will take a flier with a modest offer sheet (2-3 years, $9-12M) or, seeking greater opportunity, he'll probably want them to pull the qualifying offer. There's too much overlap between him and Mills for them to be a fit together, plus they won't want to bury Murray, White and Paul.

RD2191
10-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Mills is trash. I'd rather move mills TBH

BillMc
10-08-2017, 05:32 PM
With his contract you can't get much for Forbes anyway in a trade. Patty is too ingrained in the culture.

But if Forbes really does have a breakout year, the Spurs will re-sign him. It's pretty rare they lose someone they actually want to keep.

SAGirl
10-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Too difficult to tell. He reminds me of Seth Curry some (steph's bro), an older player than him, who also was a summer league sensation and who is similarly sized and basically a scorer. Also reminds me of CJ Mcollum the way he can score off the dribble. Gary Harris just got paid a pretty penny and might be similar just has had more opportunity to play in a different team. He would have to repeat these performances, but if he does, he will be costly and if he isn't he will ask the Spurs to pull their offer to elope elsewhere. Like Nando DeColo there is only so much time you can stay in a team in which you are blocked from playing time.. so he will put the Spurs in the spot to have to make a choice. But they do like him a lot. Based on what Pop has said, he's been doing this in practices too. He will be interesting to keep track of.

Chinook
10-08-2017, 05:44 PM
The Spurs can afford to keep him after this year. It's one of the few advantages of them punting on cap space. With two guards on rookie deals and likely three more on big deals, it won't make a ton of sense. But there's no reason to give him up.

Also, he needs to break into the rotation and perform well before it makes sense to think about him replacing Patty. Bryn scored well today, but Patty's game on Friday was more impressive.

SAGirl
10-08-2017, 05:49 PM
The Spurs can afford to keep him after this year. It's one of the few advantages of them punting on cap space. With two guards on rookie deals and likely three more on big deals, it won't make a ton of sense. But there's no reason to give him up.

Also, he needs to break into the rotation and perform well before it makes sense to think about him replacing Patty. Bryn scored well today, but Patty's game on Friday was more impressive.
He would need to get opportunities to break into the rotation. If you aren't dressing, or in the dleague and behind entrenched guys.. there is only so much he can do. I don't have the crystal ball on him... but one cannot complain about a guy who doesn't get enough chances frankly. He will have to get them and then we can say, yea that was just a tease or he's the real thing.

SAGirl
10-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Keep shooting Bryn:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/YI5tVdfmfdq_kukSByN-bBVVnkY=/0x0:5577x3717/1200x800/filters:focal(1906x817:2798x1709)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/57058321/usa_today_10336002.0.jpg

TD 21
10-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Seth Curry is definitely the most applicable comparison. Harris isn't a combo guard and he's more of a spot up shooter, cutter and has a much higher ceiling defensively.

Answered why I don't believe Spurs would match in initial post, but even if they were inclined, I believe his representation would attempt to dissuade them and they'd oblige. Besides, every player plucked from obscurity, who goes on to get paid elsewhere, looks good on them and increases the odds of them having the inside track to getting future ones, if there's interest elsewhere.

When you consider the age/salary difference and the solid trade value Mills possesses, all Forbes would have to do is be something like 2/3 as good.

SAGirl
10-08-2017, 06:40 PM
He's going to have the green light to keep shooting.

I'd really like the Spurs to use this season to REALLY plant the seeds for the future. By that I mean, play your young guys. What good is it to leave them benched, get to the playoffs and have Tony and/or Manu going scoreless for 4 or 5 games in a row or tearing body parts out bc they are ancient and these guys didn't get enough experience through the season.

Chinook
10-08-2017, 06:47 PM
$9M/3 is perfectly fine to have for an 11th or 12th man. The team has had guys at that salary many times. I doubt they'd let Forbes go for that price just like they held onto Mills. It can't be overstated how cheap such a contract would be. If Forbes is so obsessed with his third contract that he wants to go to another club, he wouldn't accept a long-term cheap deal. It makes no sense. If the Spurs let him go it will either be because they don't want him or because he's getting a bigger deal than that. The team very purposefully put themselves into this guard surplus; they won't give up on the best thing that comes from it.

Obviously, this is assuming Forbes isn't the fringe player I still expect him to be (in terms of performance, not just rotation). If the dude becomes a consistent offensive option, they'll keep him.

TD 21
10-08-2017, 07:07 PM
With a decent regular season showing, Forbes will probably command something like 2 guaranteed years and maybe a partially guaranteed 3rd or player option for between $3-5M annually.

Spurs are likely higher on Murray, White and to a lesser extent Paul or at least their fit with Green, Mills and to a lesser extent Parker, who are entrenched.

Asset retention is one thing, but I doubt they'll stand in his way if he's seeking greater opportunity elsewhere.

SAGirl
10-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Asset retention is one thing, but I doubt they'll stand in his way if he's seeking greater opportunity elsewhere.

Great point. I agree TD:toast

BillMc
10-08-2017, 07:52 PM
If the dude becomes a consistent offensive option, they'll keep him.

This is it in a nutshell. He plays well, he stays.

MaNu4Tres
10-08-2017, 08:04 PM
If only they just let Mills walk.

SAGirl
10-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Obviously, this is assuming Forbes isn't the fringe player I still expect him to be (in terms of performance, not just rotation). If the dude becomes a consistent offensive option, they'll keep him.
If dude becomes a consistent offensive option the 9mill/3 year offer won't be enough.

But the season is early and that was a preseason game.

SAGirl
10-08-2017, 08:09 PM
If only they just let Mills walk.
It won't happen. He's basically the team leader, Kawhi is the best player but Mills is the glue that holds it together.

BillMc
10-08-2017, 08:32 PM
It won't happen. He's basically the team leader, Kawhi is the best player but Mills is the glue that holds it together.

This

duncan2k5
10-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Not sold on Forbes until he does it in the season... His defense last year was some of the worst I've ever seen from a spur, and he can't drive and create for others... He is simply a worse Patty mills

spurs1990
10-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Out of the 15 man roster are the Spurs carrying five 'smalls' - Parker, Mills, Murray, Forbes and White?

Seems like one won't make the final cut..

Chinook
10-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Out of the 15 man roster are the Spurs carrying five 'smalls' - Parker, Mills, Murray, Forbes and White?

Seems like one won't make the final cut..

So all of those guys are going to make the cut. They might be traded to get someone, but they won't be traded away. The team is only carrying three "legit" bigs, so there's room. Plus White, Paul and probably even Murray can play some SF.

TheGreatYacht
10-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Was onboard the Forbes bandwagon since Day 1, despite all of you thinking he was training camp fodder.

Anything Mills can do, Forbes can do better. Plus he costs $49,000,000 less.

peacemaker885
10-08-2017, 09:20 PM
I think White being the rook will be g league bound.

Chinook
10-08-2017, 09:50 PM
I think White being the rook will be g league bound.

That's possible, but remember that that doesn't affect roster spots.

ginobilized
10-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Forbes has that shooters focus that could be very valuable.
Pop seems to really like him, which is not a given.
Bryn's shooting form is about as good as it gets, too.
I think he'll contribute and might hit a big shot or two this season.

marinoman
10-09-2017, 01:24 AM
Mills is trash. I'd rather move mills TBH
Post of the year nominee

spurs10
10-09-2017, 01:32 AM
Forbes has that shooters focus that could be very valuable.
Pop seems to really like him, which is not a given.
Bryn's shooting form is about as good as it gets, too.
I think he'll contribute and might hit a big shot or two this season. Good post! About says it all. He can shoot!

phxspurfan
10-09-2017, 01:40 AM
Gary Neal deux. Solid shooter but needs to contribute defensively otherwise will be net negative when his shot isn't falling. Or become a true PG and slide there, but as mentioned there isn't PT there with Mills, Parker Murray etc.

cjw
10-09-2017, 09:47 AM
If a big goes down for any stretch, Forbes is likely cut or sent out in a trade. Simply a roster size constraint issue.

Chinook
10-09-2017, 09:55 AM
If a big goes down for any stretch, Forbes is likely cut or sent out in a trade. Simply a roster size constraint issue.

Would make more sense for Costello to be called up. That's what he's there for.

Ice009
10-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Forbes is a darn good shooter, and I don't say that lightly. I don't normally give props to shooters unless they're legit, and I think Forbes is a phenomenal shooter, so personally, I'm willing to give him a decent chance. If he can prove to be able to shoot like he is capable of against legit NBA players, and also not be a total liability on defense which in turn could negate his offense, then I think he is someone the Spurs should invest more time in due to his elite shooting ability.

If he can also improve in other areas on offense, then I really don't that his shooting ability is something that should be passed up on. One of the only ways I'd give up on him is if he remains one dimensional on offense and can't hit shots consistently at the NBA level, and his defense never improves at all. I wouldn't be cutting him and throwing him into trade packages until they give him a really good chance to see if he can prove he's capable of doing it in the NBA.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-09-2017, 12:49 PM
The Mills signing and hanging onto Forbes and drafting so guard heavy on top of a Parker injury is going to bite us in the asshole this season.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-09-2017, 12:50 PM
He's going to have the green light to keep shooting.

I'd really like the Spurs to use this season to REALLY plant the seeds for the future. By that I mean, play your young guys. What good is it to leave them benched, get to the playoffs and have Tony and/or Manu going scoreless for 4 or 5 games in a row or tearing body parts out bc they are ancient and these guys didn't get enough experience through the season.

LOL broken record. Pop gonna pop. Just like Hill sitting so long, just like Splitter sitting against Memphis, etc, etc, etc

Chinook
10-09-2017, 01:12 PM
The Mills signing and hanging onto Forbes and drafting so guard heavy on top of a Parker injury is going to bite us in the asshole this season.

I'm not sure. The Spurs aren't smaller than they were in 2012-2013. They had four PGs (plus Neal, because that's where he was playing most of the year) and eight guys 6-6 or under and only three guys 6-9 or over to start the year. Eventually, they swapped out Baynes for Anderson, but we don't know if something similar will happen this year. Assuming Perrantes and Brimah are let go and not counting the two-way guys, you have eight players 6-6 and under and four players 6-10 and over (five guys 6-9 and over).

tholdren
10-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Why let forbes go. Hes literally the only perimeter only player who can create a jumper with or without the ball.