28 Days Later
The Devil Inside

DeadlyDynasty
10-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Deliverance
Jacob's Ladder

Avante
10-09-2017, 08:35 PM
I always get....just a movie.....with one exception...The Exorcist. No movie ever made that kind of impact on me. Totally ruined my well being for weeks.

I saw it the weekend it came out at the theater, have never and will never watch it again.

That is the one and only scarey movie, the others....nay~~~

SpursforSix
10-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Good thread.

This isn't any order. May fix it later.

The Shining
Burnt Offerings
Conjuring
Sinister
Blair Witch Project
Exorcist
Fire in the Sky
Prince of Darkness
Fourth Kind
Rosemarys Baby

Chucho
10-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Really good thread. I dunno if I can crank out ten tbh. I saw the Exorcist as a small child and then 20 years later and it didn't age well to me then, altho I can respect it's place in cinema history.

Definitely Conjuring. Best horror movie of the century thus far, hands down.

Insidious was great...

The Shining

I guess it depends onnwhaf scares you. The first Scream and Halloween movies scared me, so did Child's Play 2.

Silver&Black
10-09-2017, 10:46 PM
https://i.giphy.com/media/Nnme1as6J8Fva/giphy.webp

Big Empty
10-10-2017, 08:11 AM
I always get....just a movie.....with one exception...The Exorcist. No movie ever made that kind of impact on me. Totally ruined my well being for weeks.

I saw it the weekend it came out at the theater, have never and will never watch it again.

That is the one and only scarey movie, the others....nay~~~ha very true. There is the exorcist and then everything else. The shining, poltergeist, halloweens & friday the 13s were more entertaining than giving me the creeps

lebomb
10-10-2017, 08:48 AM
The shining
Poltergeist
Conjuring
The thing
Texas chainsaw massacre
The fly
Eraserhead
Alien/Aliens
Pumpkinhead
Jaws

............ in no particular order. I just know these movies freaked me out a bid. Not all are necessarily scary. :claw

lebomb
10-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Deliverance
Jacob's Ladder

Absolute worst movie ever. I left the theater like "WTF" was that all about. Still confuses me.

Darth_Pelican
10-10-2017, 08:59 AM
The Exorcist
The Shining
Poltergeist
Blair Witch Project (the birth of the found footage genre which has since been ruined)
The Conjuring
The Silence of The Lambs
Sinister
Cape Fear
The Ring
Alien

lebomb
10-10-2017, 09:59 AM
I saw Jaws when I was about 7-8yrs old. I had a hard time taking a bath afterwards. I thought Jaws was in the plumbing I guess. :lol

SpursforSix
10-10-2017, 10:09 AM
ha very true. There is the exorcist and then everything else. The shining, poltergeist, halloweens & friday the 13s were more entertaining than giving me the creeps

Man...the Shining gave me the creeps. Maybe not the whole movie but a few scenes for sure. Particularly the one with the twins in the hallway.

benefactor
10-10-2017, 12:13 PM
No order

The Thing
The Fog
Poltergeist
The Exorcist
Candyman
The Shining
Jaws
Event Horizon
An American Werewolf in London
Something Wicked This Way Comes

Some of these haven't held up over time, but at different times in my life they all scared the fuck out of me at one point or another.

lebomb
10-10-2017, 12:41 PM
The Fog

Sleeper movie........this was a really good flick.

timtonymanu
10-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Off the top of my head:

The Exorcist
The Shining
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Conjuring
The Ring
Halloween
Insidious
When A Stranger Calls
The Innocents
Henry

SpursforSix
10-10-2017, 04:15 PM
I almost included the Ring. Not a great story but those videos were creepy as shit.

SpursforSix
10-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Speaking of Blair Witch. About a month before it came out, there was a "documentary" on TV about the story. It was scarier than the actual movie.

Big Empty
10-10-2017, 04:27 PM
I almost included the Ring. Not a great story but those videos were creepy as shit.
Ha me too! There was another jewel that's underrated with that chick from Dexter. She's a reporter in a firehouse. I remember that was pretty creepy but I forget the name.

SpursforSix
10-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Ha me too! There was another jewel that's underrated with that chick from Dexter. She's a reporter in a firehouse. I remember that was pretty creepy but I forget the name.

I just Googled that. Is it "Quarantine"?

Big Empty
10-10-2017, 04:34 PM
I just Googled that. Is it "Quarantine"?
Ha that's it!! I was too lazy

chunticakes
10-10-2017, 10:59 PM
In no particular order:

28 Days Later
The Grudge
The Blair Witch Project
Paranormal Activity
The Ring
The Descent
The Fourth Kind
The Conjuring
The Strangers
Sinister

chunticakes
10-10-2017, 11:08 PM
Another one I forgot to mention: The Woman In Black.

And it's not that they're terribly frightening or anything, just that at some point these movies made me feel a little uneasy for some reason.

pookenstein
10-11-2017, 01:37 AM
Sister Act. Whoopi Goldberg in a tight Dress is as scary as it gets.

The Gemini Method
10-11-2017, 12:29 PM
In no particular order:

The Fog
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Wrong Turn
The Boogeyman
Hellraiser
Phantasm
IT (2017)
Phantasm
Halloween
Serpent and the Rainbow (Vodoo was pretty scary)

JMarkJohns
10-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Some good ones already named. A few more:

The Hills Have Eyes (original)
Rosemary’s Baby
Fire Walk With Me
The Descent
The VVitch

I’m all about dread and terror, not just gore. These five plus the classics like The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Shining, The Thing, all fit that bill.

Edit: Several already mentioned Rosemary’s Baby and The Descent.

Surprised nobody has mentioned The VVitch. I found it pretty unsettling in that way you get the creeps from a movie. Great cast. Strong visuals. The religious paranoia and fallout amongst the children was almost disturbing. Based on folklore of colonial times.

Big Empty
10-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Some good ones already named. A few more:

The Hills Have Eyes (original)
Rosemary’s Baby
Fire Walk With Me
The Descent
The VVitch

I’m all about dread and terror, not just gore. These five plus the classics like The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Shining, The Thing, all fit that bill.

Edit: Several already mentioned Rosemary’s Baby and The Descent.

Surprised nobody has mentioned The VVitch. I found it pretty unsettling in that way you get the creeps from a movie. Great cast. Strong visuals. The religious paranoia and fallout amongst the children was almost disturbing. Based on folklore of colonial times.
Im gonna check out vvitch ive never seen it

pgardn
10-11-2017, 06:27 PM
These are all really good choices above by the board.

I would add:

Suspiria (The Italian version 1977)

I had no idea what this was and it caught me off guard. Felt like I got injected with some sort of panic fluid. So Fckn weird. And the music.

Phantasm (1979)

Like the above, I got caught without being prepared. Remember some weird darting ball drilling into a guys forehead in a mortuary.

Its the before my time sneaky weird flicks that get me.

Silence of The Lambs was fantastic. A good movie and scary.

RD2191
10-11-2017, 06:51 PM
I don't have a top 10 but that movie the strangers always freaks me out.

hater
10-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Babadook
Lost Highway
Audition
Inside
Exorcist
Goodnite Mommy
Conjuring 2
Wickerman (original)
Suspiria
The Tenant

JMarkJohns
10-11-2017, 07:09 PM

Highly recommend. Entire film is naturally lit, so every seen has a darker than usual ambiance to it. Spine-grating score that pairs perfectly with visuals. Just beautiful and weird enough to keep you engrossed when all hell breaks loose.

iQXmlf3Sefg

Minimalist. Just them and the shit that goes bad.

Trill Clinton
10-11-2017, 07:09 PM
salute to all of the conjuring and insidious love. insidious wasn't really scary to me. the music was what really made it scary.

i think exorcism of emily rose was the scariest movie of all time to me. it had a young thug shook. i only like supernatural scary movies or scary movies based off true stories.

JMarkJohns
10-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Babadook
Lost Highway

Love Lost Highway. Doesn’t scare me, but it’s a weirdly disturbing film. Inland Empire takes it even further.

lebomb
10-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Eraserhead is the most disturbing of all disturbing movies bar none.:claw

JMarkJohns
10-11-2017, 07:46 PM
Eraserhead is the most disturbing of all disturbing movies bar none.:claw

I wouldn’t necessarily disagree.

But for many, myself included, Disturbing doesn’t equal scary.

I find Fire Walk With Me far more “scary” with actual fright and dread than Eraserhead, or even Inland Empire. FWWM is sadistically voyeristic in the terrifying last days of Laura Palmer, climaxing in a brutal murder. Has some fucked up imagery too.

hater
10-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Inland empire was just boring. Couldnt finish it

And I loved Eraserhead and watched it like 30 times. It is disturbing but agree not super scary

JMarkJohns
10-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Inland Empire is what happens when horror meets art meets a horrifically artistic director who was given free reign on an idea and it needed people to tell him “no”.

And I say that as a Lynch devotee.

It has its moments. Some truly crazy, disturbing imagery and ideas. But it’s his weakest feature by far, including the epically awfully goodly awful Dune.

hater
10-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Man I love Dune for some reason.

Wish I could see Lynchs 4 hour version which never made it

But I do wish Jodorowsky had gotten a shot at Dune

JMarkJohns
10-11-2017, 09:41 PM
I, too, enjoy Dune. I openly admit its flaws. But it’s so much fun.

Anyways, rating Lynch films based on “scare” factor:

1. Fire Walk With Me
2. Inland Empire
3. Erasurehead
4. Lost Highway
5. Blue Velvet
6. Mulholland Drive

Last 4 aren’t really scary so much as disturbing in scenes.

hater
10-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Just watched the new twin peaks. What did u think?

I thought it was great 8/10 imo

JMarkJohns
10-11-2017, 09:55 PM
It was a beautiful nightmare. I’m happy, though I would love more.

Mother is a creature that definitely inspires terror.

timtonymanu
10-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Love Lost Highway. Doesn’t scare me, but it’s a weirdly disturbing film. Inland Empire takes it even further.

Both are great. That one scene in Inland Empire though. That alone almost put this in my top 10.

DMC
10-12-2017, 06:32 PM
That one scene in Bone Tomahawk fucked me up.

chunticakes
10-14-2017, 07:16 AM

Be sure to watch it with subtitles on. Some of the dialogue is hard to make out...with it being in old school English and all. Super slow moving film that comes across as a time piece more than anything but I enjoyed it. I had to watch it a second time around once I learned about legit witch folklore. Definitely enjoyed it more the second time around.

Someone mentioned the movie mother!

Also a good movie. I got a anxious/claustrophobic vibe from it, tbh...

AaronY
10-15-2017, 12:16 AM
Highly recommend. Entire film is naturally lit, so every seen has a darker than usual ambiance to it. Spine-grating score that pairs perfectly with visuals. Just beautiful and weird enough to keep you engrossed when all hell breaks loose.

iQXmlf3Sefg

Minimalist. Just them and the shit that goes bad.
That Witch movie was great. A lot of religious people were offended by it on message boards for some reason from what I saw

JMarkJohns
10-15-2017, 06:54 PM
I mean, I get why. The religious fervor led to paranoia led to almost villainous atrocity.

That said, same religious folks should brush up on Salem Witch Trials. If they aren’t scared shitless.

The church literally mirrored the parents in the film with their descent to madness in name of religion and righteousness.

DJR210
10-16-2017, 09:26 PM
No order..

Exorcist - Easy

Insidious - As mentioned, this one should be played at loud volumes over a sound system as the music and jump scares are top notch. The way they intertwined the first and second one from real world perspective and the perspective from the further when the front door kept opening and setting off the alarm was genius IMO. Part 2 and 3, meh.

Paranormal Activity - The first one was creepy af I thought.. details like hoof prints in the powder and Katie standing over him for hours were pretty twisted.

Fire in the Sky - Not technically a horror movie, but the experiment scenes and shit scared the hell out of me as a kid.

IT (1990) - The first half of the movie specifically.. I was really young at the time so that played a role in how scary I thought the movie was.

The Intruders - Made for CBS mini-series about alien abduction.. pretty good for low budget

Storm of the Century - "Give me what I want and I'll go away"

Blair Witch - the first time I saw this shit I just remember the feeling of dread it gave me.. I can't say it aged well, but I still think it earns a spot for creating the genre.

The Omen - Not sure which one I think is better, but I thought releasing the latest on 6/6/6 was a nice touch.

SpursforSix
10-16-2017, 11:03 PM
I also want to add Prince of Darkness. The dream sequences were scary as fuck.

SnakeBoy
10-17-2017, 12:31 AM
Anything starring Melissa McCarthy is pretty terrifying tbh