PDA

View Full Version : Will any Spurs kneel during the national anthem?

Big Empty
10-12-2017, 10:48 AM
The Spurs have already received backlash from Pop and his opinions on Trump. I assume most of the people who are disappointed and plan to boycott the Spurs are already accounted for. But what are the implications if the most respected coach and NBA franchise take a knee during the anthem?

dabom
10-12-2017, 10:54 AM
They don't.

SpursforSix
10-12-2017, 10:55 AM
So tired of this. I don't really care if someone stands, kneels...whatever. This isn't fucking North Korea.

duncan2k5
10-12-2017, 11:00 AM
So tired of this. I don't really care if someone stands, kneels...whatever. This isn't fucking North Korea.

Thank u!

Budkin
10-12-2017, 11:01 AM

Amen.

cd98
10-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Half the team is not even from the US

Chucho
10-12-2017, 11:34 AM
If anyone does, Pop is my bet.

Dex
10-12-2017, 12:09 PM
The Spurs have already received backlash from Pop and his opinions on Trump. I assume most of the people who are disappointed and plan to boycott the Spurs are already accounted for. But what are the implications if the most respected coach and NBA franchise take a knee during the anthem?

What backlash? Most media outlets with half a brain applauded Pop for sharing his opinions.

TheRemix
10-12-2017, 12:34 PM
This, no one outside of pop cares much about politics

hater
10-12-2017, 12:37 PM

Its more like NK than you think

Proxy
10-12-2017, 12:45 PM
This, no one outside of pop cares much about politics

team went to see Chi-Raq and had John Carlos come in. Team went together to see Birth of a Nation too iirc

SnakeBoy
10-12-2017, 12:49 PM
They should do handstands during the anthem. It's a win-win, they're standing & they're protesting.

hater
10-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Spurs will kneel after starting whistle is blown

spurs50_
10-12-2017, 01:02 PM
No, because they're not dumbasses

ducks
10-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Silver will fine or make them sit out games
Against rules

ducks
10-12-2017, 01:22 PM
They should do handstands during the anthem. It's a win-win, they're standing & they're protesting.

Protesting what ?

SpursforSix
10-12-2017, 01:26 PM

No...it's not. I'm not oblivious to what's going on.

Darius Bieber
10-12-2017, 02:33 PM
There's a rule in the NBA rulebook prohibiting this. They can get fined and/or suspended for breaking that rule.

It is also noteworthy to note that before 2008ish, the NFL did not have teams come out during the national anthem. The Department of Defense paid the league to come out during the National Anthem as a sort of advertisement for the Military. It was a multi-million dollar deal.

bic50
10-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Doubt it. Pop put his opinion out there already and will leave at that I hope. Don't need any distractions this season.

Galileo
10-12-2017, 03:21 PM
I hope not. I just got rid of all my Spurs stuff. Pop was funny the first times, but not anymore.

buttsR4rebounding
10-12-2017, 04:15 PM
No one did anything at the Orlando game. I think this has run it's course. An example of the lack of forethought in all of this is that dumbass broad from ESPN who went off on Jerry Jones and called for a boycott of some specific Cowboy sponsors. Some of which sponsored her OWN SHOW. :bang

Atl Spur
10-12-2017, 07:09 PM

This^. Thank you!

Atl Spur
10-12-2017, 07:12 PM
No one did anything at the Orlando game. I think this has run it's course. An example of the lack of forethought in all of this is that dumbass broad from ESPN who went off on Jerry Jones and called for a boycott of some specific Cowboy sponsors. Some of which sponsored her OWN SHOW. :bang

Dumbass broad? Please explain.........

Spurtacular
10-12-2017, 10:07 PM
No, because they're not dumbasses

Spur|n|Austin
10-12-2017, 10:13 PM

spurs10
10-13-2017, 12:40 AM
So tired of this. I don't really care if someone stands, kneels...whatever. This isn't fucking North Korea. Hear, hear!

What backlash? Most media outlets with half a brain applauded Pop for sharing his opinions. Yes, as they well should!

offset formation
10-13-2017, 01:26 AM

Yep. Yet if you're black our police often certainly treat black men like they were in NK.

cd021
10-13-2017, 05:35 AM

Has there been a backlash? Haven't heard of anything if true. Heard far more people give props to pop for his comments.

cd021
10-13-2017, 05:38 AM
Doubt it. Pop put his opinion out there already and will leave at that I hope. Don't need any distractions this season.

Is it a really a distraction? People use that world all the time. Taking a knee during the anthem probably isn't going to change the outcomes of games that would be an distraction.

Seventyniner
10-13-2017, 07:27 AM
Is it a really a distraction? People use that world all the time. Taking a knee during the anthem probably isn't going to change the outcomes of games that would be an distraction.

Hypothetical: if the center snaps the ball to the QB and then both teams just stand there and do nothing, does the clock just keep running or will the refs call the play dead? I can just imagine two teams coordinating to bleed an entire quarter on one play. If they want a real shitstorm that would do it.

baseline bum
10-13-2017, 07:31 AM
Against rules

So Pop could use this to his advantage to rest players?

cd021
10-13-2017, 09:14 AM
Hypothetical: if the center snaps the ball to the QB and then both teams just stand there and do nothing, does the clock just keep running or will the refs call the play dead? I can just imagine two teams coordinating to bleed an entire quarter on one play. If they want a real shitstorm that would do it.

Cool, tell me what that has to do with a player taking a knee minutes before a game?

No one has ever accused the players who chose to take part in non violent protest to have played less hard or sabotaging their teams chances of winning so I don't get the point of your hypothetical.

cd021
10-13-2017, 09:16 AM
Against rules

I'd seriously doubt that silver would suspend players, a fine is probably it. Considering NBA players make far more money than the average NFL player, it is probably chump change and no real disincentive.

davidbowie
10-13-2017, 01:35 PM

DeadlyDynasty
10-13-2017, 01:39 PM
It's trending, and blacks are slaves to trends, so you can expect a lot of kneeling.

Play Boban
10-13-2017, 06:16 PM
There's a rule in the NBA rulebook prohibiting this. They can get fined and/or suspended for breaking that rule.

It is also noteworthy to note that before 2008ish, the NFL did not have teams come out during the national anthem. The Department of Defense paid the league to come out during the National Anthem as a sort of advertisement for the Military. It was a multi-million dollar deal.

This is a falsehood that needs to stop being perpetuated. The NFL only changed that for primetime games. They were already out on the field before that.

gospursgojas
10-13-2017, 06:21 PM
I hope not. Manu is old and a 50 year old bare knee on hardwood isn't the same as a padded knee on grass.

Seventyniner
10-13-2017, 08:17 PM
Cool, tell me what that has to do with a player taking a knee minutes before a game?

It would be a much more extreme version of protest, actually hitting the league where it hurts. Can you imagine a whole quarter without commercial breaks?

I admit that it's a silly thought, and in football it would throw off the balance of the game.

DMC
10-14-2017, 12:33 AM

You couldn't even post that in North Korea.

cjw
10-14-2017, 09:42 AM

It would be a much more extreme version of protest, actually hitting the league where it hurts. Can you imagine a whole quarter without commercial breaks?

I admit that it's a silly thought, and in football it would throw off the balance of the game.

Yes, but the players care too much about their stats for that. Not to mention bonuses that kick in on performance / snap count.

Floyd Pacquiao
10-14-2017, 09:45 AM
Question is will pop ever get off his knees?

UZER
10-14-2017, 10:04 AM
Pops wants to have uncomfortable conversations...unless you ask him a legitimate question about his rotations is a playoff series.

SupremeGuy
10-14-2017, 12:44 PM
San Antonio is a pretty big military city. That wouldn't be wise. And what backlash have they received? The seasons hasn't even started.

Play Boban
10-14-2017, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Poop kneel and click off the flag during the anthem tbh.

Play Boban
10-14-2017, 12:54 PM
You can bet your ass Poop would stand at attention and salute for the playing of the Internationale tbh.

Arcadian
10-14-2017, 01:12 PM
I usually say, "I don't give a fraction of a fuck."

At this point, I give negative fucks (i.e. less than zero).

Play Boban
10-14-2017, 01:27 PM
I've read there's a video out there of pop pissing on the flag while praising Che.

Rocalcio
10-14-2017, 01:34 PM
That would just be stupid. I don't get why people who are complaining about Trump's shitty ideas or declarations should kneel during the national anthem or spit on the flag. Trump is a dumbass but he doesn't stand for USA, despite being the president, he just stands for his crap ideas.

Rocalcio
10-14-2017, 01:36 PM
I've read there's a video out there of pop pissing on the flag while praising Che.

I knew that ! Popovich is a Russian spy who managed to stay under the radar since the Cold War. Send him to Guantanamo !

cd021
10-14-2017, 01:38 PM

The players are using their platform to call attention to racial injustice during the national anthem. Carrying it over to the actual game isn't just silly it goes against the actual point of protesting during the national anthem thats why it would never happen.

Play Boban
10-14-2017, 02:01 PM
I knew that ! Popovich is a Russian spy who managed to stay under the radar since the Cold War. Send him to Guantanamo !
:bobo