View Full Version : James returns to practice after hospital stay

ducks
10-17-2005, 03:10 PM
James returns to practice after hospital stay

By JOE MILICIA, Associated Press Writer
October 17, 2005

AP - Oct 17, 3:26 pm EDT
More Photos

CLEVELAND (AP) -- LeBron James was tired but happy to be back at practice Monday, less than one week after the Cleveland Cavaliers star was hospitalized for a virus.

The 20-year-old forward is taking antibiotics and still has some chest pain but is feeling better daily. He participated in the entire three-hour practice but was listed as doubtful for Wednesday night's exhibition game against Memphis as a precaution by coach Mike Brown.

``It was a little tiring,'' James said. ``My chest got stopped up a little bit, but for the most part it was fun to get back on the floor with my teammates.''

Team physicians initially thought James strained a pectoral muscle, but tests revealed pleurisy, an inflammation of the thin layers of tissue covering the lungs and chest cavity.

``I know what a plural is,'' James joked. ``But I've never heard of pleurisy.''

James felt chest pain last week. The pain worsened after practice the next day and he was admitted to the Cleveland Clinic. He was released Friday following a two-night stay.

James said he was never sacred but is relieved to be recovering.

ADVERTISEMENT

``It was difficult,'' James said. ``It was a feeling I never felt before. I thought it was serious at first.''

James has missed three preseason games because of the illness. He said he'll let his body tell him when it's time to play his next preseason game. Brown said there's no reason to rush him.

``LeBron is back to himself,'' Brown said. ``He's leading the team. He's running the team from whatever position he's at and he's playing hard at both ends. It didn't look like he missed a beat at all.''