PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi to miss opening night

Amuseddaysleeper
10-13-2017, 07:44 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2017/10/13/spurs-leonard-expected-to-miss-season-opener/

Sounds serious as there is no timetable for his return :td

John Petrucci
10-13-2017, 07:53 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2017/10/13/spurs-leonard-expected-to-miss-season-opener/

Sounds serious as there is no timetable for his return :td

Let the cliff jumping commence. I, for one, am on board.

coachmac87
10-13-2017, 07:55 PM
If it's "tendinitis" it would be best to get it taken of now instead of rushing him back and it hamper him all year and get worst as season progresses...

Southwest Texas Fan
10-13-2017, 08:03 PM
Amused started this thread. We may not see the klaw until after allstar game.

SpurPadre
10-13-2017, 08:05 PM
0-1, tbh.

Mr. Body
10-13-2017, 08:07 PM
1996 again?

tholdren
10-13-2017, 08:08 PM
Lots of quad injuries...

Darius Bieber
10-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Game over tbh. Minnesota going to run train on us.

raybies
10-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Saving Leonard now so he can be productive for another team...............

Play Boban
10-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Kawhi's career may be coming to an end. Manu looks like a gladiator compared to this man of glass.

BillMc
10-13-2017, 08:16 PM
Amused started this thread. We may not see the klaw until after allstar game.

If they amputate his leg its confirmed.

UZER
10-13-2017, 09:41 PM
Lots of quad injuries...

But all that resting.

8FOR!3
10-13-2017, 09:44 PM
1996 again?

Crazy thing is we probably wouldn't be that bad.

Chinook
10-13-2017, 09:46 PM
Kawhi's career may be coming to an end. Manu looks like a gladiator compared to this man of glass.

Kawhi's injury history is concerning. On one hand, it's all the more reason to call for a second star. On the other, it should shut up the people who think the Spurs outside of Kawhi are horrible. They manage to be a top team despite Leonard not playing Westbrook minutes.

raybies
10-13-2017, 10:29 PM
Kawhi's injury history is concerning. On one hand, it's all the more reason to call for a second star. On the other, it should shut up the people who think the Spurs outside of Kawhi are horrible. They manage to be a top team despite Leonard not playing Westbrook minutes.
It might be crazy to think but we prolly a top 3 seed without Leonard. Easy to say though cause Houston has no answer for LMA but how many teams do?

Really tho, no need to rush him back. The ball has been moving and a team believing they can win without him is a team that believes they can win it all with him.

Ron Swanson
10-13-2017, 10:36 PM
Watch that dickhead Silver fine the Spurs for sitting Kawhi on opening night.

Russ
10-13-2017, 10:51 PM
It would be interesting to know Kawhi's thoughts on this.

Is he restless? Does he think he's ready or not?

Play Boban
10-14-2017, 12:45 AM
:bobo

YGWHI
10-14-2017, 01:26 AM
We don't have any proof that this team can be a top 2-3 seed without Kawhi.
https://i.imgur.com/dNVr1gX.jpg

Plus, the only one playoffs game the Spurs won without Kawhi in six years was against a team with many defensive issues.

But since Draft rules changed to avoid tanking, better the Spurs to be elite without him.

At least the schedule is on our side...Many non-playoffs teams in the first weeks like Wolves, Chicago, Orlando, Miami, Indiana, Charlotte, Phoenix, Dallas... :tu

YGWHI
10-14-2017, 01:33 AM
"His injury story...His career ended :cry "...Six years and he never missed a playoffs game until last postseason.

These ST trolls...

RD2191
10-14-2017, 01:40 AM
It might be crazy to think but we prolly a top 3 seed without Leonard. Easy to say though cause Houston has no answer for LMA but how many teams do?

Really tho, no need to rush him back. The ball has been moving and a team believing they can win without him is a team that believes they can win it all with him.

:lol drugs are bad

-21-
10-14-2017, 02:49 AM
CIA Pop gonna try to win without Kawhi to prove to him he shouldn't worry about our roster and future.

For real though, even if the team will be fine with Kawhi out, his health is very concerning. Hopefully they're just being extremely cautious.

BillMc
10-14-2017, 06:21 AM
Step 1: Rest Kawh for the beginning of the season

Step 2: Ride LMA and inflate his numbers until someone offers good value for him. Make trade.

Step 3: Kawhi returns refreshed with a now deeper supporting cast post trade.

Step 4: Win championship.

bic50
10-14-2017, 09:11 AM

Spurs are a top 3 seed without Kawhi? How?

ulosturedge
10-14-2017, 09:54 AM
CIA Pop written all over this. Teams playing good without Kawhi. Pop will continue to try and build confidence in a Kawhi-less lineup while it is working like recently.

Helps Kawhi get more rest, helps LMA play first banana, and helps the youngins grow some muturity.

I'm betting our schedule is fairly weak to start. Haven't looked. Of course if they start struggling then Kawhi slides back in.

They are looking pretty deep this year though. I think we got a steal with Rudy Gay. He looks like he lost nothing with that Achilles injury. I expected him to look worse.

Should be a good year for the Spurs.

blizz
10-14-2017, 10:10 AM
How the hell do you get injured like that during the summer? During the off season? C’mon man!

bic50
10-14-2017, 10:21 AM
How the hell do you get injured like that during the summer? During the off season? C’mon man!
Probably from training

Dex
10-14-2017, 10:54 AM
Well....fuck.

This season is built around Kawhi. If he misses significant time and/or is not healthy for playoffs...Spurs are fucked. As we saw against GSW last year.

That's not some big revelation...the same would go for any team in this league if they lost their MVP candidate.

Dex
10-14-2017, 10:55 AM

Pop said it's something that's been lingering since last season...which makes it even worse, tbh. If he wasn't able to get healthy during the summer...who knows what the timetable looks like.

Russo21
10-14-2017, 11:01 AM
No big deal so long as he plays in enough games to be in the mvp race again. I was really hoping it was his year.

tholdren
10-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Pop said it's something that's been lingering since last season...which makes it even worse, tbh. If he wasn't able to get healthy during the summer...who knows what the timetable looks like.

They probably label it some sort of tendonitis and over rest, rather than deal with the issue

jbspurs
10-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Do not include Wolves on the non playoff list. I think that team is solid.

Ice009
10-14-2017, 11:14 AM

I read an article which states he first sat out games in the 2012 season due to it, so I definitely think it's a big issue. After reading the article I thought it was all sorted out, that is, up until a couple of weeks ago when we found out Kawhi had to sit out the whole preseason because of it. I was able to find the article again so I'll put it in this thread too. It seems he's had it on and off since 2012. It's not sounding good at all to me if he's still having issues with it since then.

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/14763202/how-biometrics-turned-kawhi-leonard-star

It was a twist of the knee that helped Leonard fulfill that vision. During his second NBA season in 2012, Leonard was sidelined for 18 games with quadriceps tendinitis near his left knee. That offseason, the Spurs sent him to P3 to assess his vastus medialis, a teardrop-shaped muscle in the quads that powers the knee joint. "They focus on trying to balance out your body," Leonard explains. "You don't train there. I learned more about the body."

When P3's evaluation showed imbalances from his injury -- the particulars of which P3 refused to reveal to ESPN -- Leonard and Shelton devoted that summer to ensuring his quads weren't just strong but symmetrically and multidirectionally strong. "Most players are linear; they can run in a straight line and jump vertically," Shelton says. "But with Kawhi, we focus on perfecting change of direction.

Also, it's been stated in two separate articles the past two weeks where one says the right quad and another the left, so I/we don't even know which one it is that's currently bothering him.

Spur|n|Austin
10-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Watch that dickhead Silver fine the Spurs for sitting Kawhi on opening night.

League fined the Spurs for healthy scratches for rest. Kawhi is actually hurt.

dbreiden83080
10-15-2017, 05:11 PM

Exactly this is bad. He has been off since May and he is hurt??? WTF is going on?

dbreiden83080
10-15-2017, 05:12 PM
If he missing opening night, I would not really expect him back possibly in the first 5 games. Maybe longer. This could be a nightmare season.

raybies
10-15-2017, 05:29 PM
Spurs are a top 3 seed without Kawhi? How?

While I was drunk when I wrote this and it seemed logical as drunk take might be, I stand by it.
Here are my reasons:

1) Superior coaching (for the most part)
2) System (More ball movement since we are lacking star power)
3) Experience (Experience wins game during the season while talent generally wins out in the postseason)
4) Depth ( Even without Kawhi we are one of the deepest rosters from top to bottom imo)
5) All Star Aldridge (If he plays like one, we are enough to win vs. 90% of the teams in the league imo)
6) Continuity (The bulk of the rotation pieces know the system, and familiarity will lead to wins.)

All in all the league may be deeper but it is definitely very top heavy. Golden State, Cleveland, and OKC are the only teams I think we'd struggle to beat without Leonard, but everyone else I think even the oddsmakers would make us favorites to win. Edit: Oddsmakers would make Houston favorites...Maybe I'm just high on this team but this is what I see.

dabom
10-15-2017, 05:55 PM
While I was drunk when I wrote this and it seemed logical as drunk take might be, I stand by it.
Here are my reasons:

1) Superior coaching (for the most part)
2) System (More ball movement since we are lacking star power)
3) Experience (Experience wins game during the season while talent generally wins out in the postseason)
4) Depth ( Even without Kawhi we are one of the deepest rosters from top to bottom imo)
5) All Star Aldridge (If he plays like one, we are enough to win vs. 90% of the teams in the league imo)
6) Continuity (The bulk of the rotation pieces know the system, and familiarity will lead to wins.)

All in all the league may be deeper but it is definitely very top heavy. Golden State, Cleveland, and OKC are the only teams I think we'd struggle to beat without Leonard, but everyone else I think even the oddsmakers would make us favorites to win. Edit: Oddsmakers would make Houston favorites...Maybe I'm just high on this team but this is what I see.

You're dumb brah. Spurs 3rd seed without Kawhi? :lmao

Keepin' it real
10-15-2017, 06:12 PM
On the plus side, saw some sweet Kawhi jerseys at Marshalls in Austin on clearance for $8. If he misses extended playing time, they could drop to $5.

tholdren
10-15-2017, 07:09 PM
You're dumb brah. Spurs 3rd seed without Kawhi? :lmao

Go ahead and list the 8 seeds.... brah

dabom
10-15-2017, 07:26 PM
Go ahead and list the 8 seeds.... brah

What does that have to do with the other teams, faggot? :lol

benefactor
10-15-2017, 07:28 PM
I've never really understood why op chose this shtick. Who willingly wants to be the "everyone hates me for injuring players/emotional girl when things go wrong" poster? You have been here for a decade plus. You're a grown fucking man by now...and one that has gotten to see a lot of success from a sports perspective. But guess when you are part of the fabric of ST you just keep fucking that chicken no matter how odd it looks

tholdren
10-15-2017, 07:29 PM
What does that have to do with the other teams, faggot? :lol

So you cant? Thats all you had to say.

Ice009
10-15-2017, 09:42 PM
Have the SA Express News writers gotten off their asses yet and tried to get more info on his injury? Have they asked any more questions about it?

UZER
10-15-2017, 11:48 PM
Have the SA Express News writers gotten off their asses yet and tried to get more info on his injury? Have they asked any more questions about it?

Pop wants uncomfortable conversations, but not that one.

phxspurfan
10-16-2017, 12:23 AM
And I just got his jersey too WTF

Brazil
10-16-2017, 06:30 AM
At this path, Tony will be in the SL before Kawhi tbh

dbreiden83080
10-16-2017, 05:53 PM
Is he even practicing with the team at all or has he been sitting in a whirlpool since Training camp opened? This shit is scary. How did we go from him doing interviews talking about adding weapons to his game in the off-season, to he is hurt and has been hurt for like 6 months?

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 07:45 PM
Is he even practicing with the team at all or has he been sitting in a whirlpool since Training camp opened? This shit is scary. How did we go from him doing interviews talking about adding weapons to his game in the off-season, to he is hurt and has been hurt for like 6 months?
He has been in the training facility rehabbing and doing treatments. No practices with the team. His return is unknown. Pop didn't want to specify.

dbreiden83080
10-16-2017, 08:06 PM
He has been in the training facility rehabbing and doing treatments. No practices with the team. His return is unknown. Pop didn't want to specify.

Jesus Christ this is very worrisome. He shows up after his summer training regimen and he is so hurt he can't even practice. What the hell is going on? Did he do something to really aggravate the injury with his off-season regimen?

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 08:10 PM
Jesus Christ this is very worrisome. He shows up after his summer training regimen and he is so hurt he can't even practice. What the hell is going on? Did he do something to really aggravate the injury with his off-season regimen?
Pop said that it was something lingering from last season and that it took longer to heal than they thought.

YGWHI
10-16-2017, 08:39 PM
Is he even practicing with the team at all or has he been sitting in a whirlpool since Training camp opened? This shit is scary. [b] How did we go from him doing interviews talking about adding weapons to his game in the off-season, to he is hurt and has been hurt for like 6 months?/b]

He was working on his game in SDSU J.A.M Center during two months while still rehabilitating the injury. In fact, he was with his trainner Randy Shelton all summer, even in his trip to China.

When training camp opened doctors re-evaluated his quad and found it wasn't fine.

Also, Kawhi didn't expected the bad news, since he told his sister he would miss just one week of training camp
https://i.imgur.com/9WwaK1L.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ1jNUsHElB/?taken-by=kawhileonardofficialfanpage

But it seemed like the RMI showed it worse than him and the team thought.