Pages : [1] 2

bklynspursfan
10-16-2017, 12:13 PM

Ron Swanson
10-16-2017, 12:15 PM
RIP SpursTalk

rjv
10-16-2017, 12:18 PM
3...2...1...https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4Hzciiu3aPazA36eZiOsX7nRoU4fgA EhCz6wPZxnhqvNe0v9x

LakerHater
10-16-2017, 12:19 PM

sananspursfan21
Ohhhhhh boy.... I was hoping a little of this season would play out before committing. He’s looking great but the most frustrating thing about LMA is that he flashes from time to time of superstardom among mid-level play the majority of his time. I’m a proponent of Aldridge feeling as though there’s too much investment to trade him now, but whatever happened to assessment of the situation????

Chinook
Happy to hear this. Zach Lowe pulling all kinds of strings to find a big enough dick to suck.

Joseph Kony
Tbh this is a good thing, it likely means both sides are over whatever drama they had and see eye to eye now. If LMA plays the way we know he can, we might be much better than some people expect. and with us re-signing Pau and fucking our cap up for next year, might as well try and retain the core at this point

sananspursfan21
10-16-2017, 12:20 PM
I suppose if it’s a good deal money wise for both, I wouldn’t oppose. I like Aldridge. Just not for tons of money.

LkrFan
10-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Happy to hear this. Zach Lowe pulling all kinds of strings to find a big enough dick to suck.

:lol

spursince#99
10-16-2017, 12:23 PM
What does this mean cap space wise?

Chinook
10-16-2017, 12:25 PM
What does this mean cap space wise?

Could mean a lot, actually. He has to opt out to be extended, so next year could be significantly cheaper.

LakerHater
10-16-2017, 12:26 PM

BatManu20
10-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Pop and LMA becoming bff through all the drama :cry

Chinook
10-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Pop and LMA becoming bff through all the drama

Or the only way to get LMA not to whine is to extend him. If they do do that, they can't trade him until next off-season unless he receives less than an 8-percent raise.

BillMc
10-16-2017, 12:33 PM
Tbh this is a good thing, it likely means both sides are over whatever drama they had and see eye to eye now. If LMA plays the way we know he can, we might be much better than some people expect. and with us re-signing Pau and fucking our cap up for next year, might as well try and retain the core at this point

I suppose if it’s a good deal money wise for both, I wouldn’t oppose. I like Aldridge. Just not for tons of money.

raybies
10-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Any realistic options would be hard to pull off and can't lose him for nothing and even more can't lose him without a suitable replacement which looks unlikely. I was hoping we did do this, tbh. Sorry ST.

In the past the Spurs looked for reasons to extend players like Tony and Manu. For example Manu was injured one year before an extension and came back and played lights out; the Spurs quickly extended him. My point is LMA gives reason to believe for PATFO to extend him. He's showing improvement with passing out of the double team, even Manu mentioned it in the last interview, and the fact he has been underutilized. In my estimation he'll be an All Star again, and after the "heart to heart" and extension things will look more stable, reason why Paul didn't choose the Spurs.

LMA leaving San Antonio could doom the Spurs future and eventually cause Kawhi to leave in 2019, but if we lock him up and with one of these picks doing well, we could be in good position in the future. The big thing here is to not pay crazy money and after Patty and Pau I have no clue what an extension might look like.

These leads to my personal master plan, and that's to make a compelling offer to Klay Thompson. Murray/Thompson/Leonard/LMA would be exceptional. Just wanted to throw that out there cause I desperately want klay with Leonard.

BillMc
10-16-2017, 12:34 PM

So, if it doesn't get done before midnight tonight what does that exactly mean?

itzsoweezee
10-16-2017, 12:35 PM
Why? Is this the team the Spurs want for the future? Why waste Kawhi's prime like this?

raybies
10-16-2017, 12:35 PM
Good post.

BillMc
10-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Any realistic options would be hard to pull off and can't lose him for nothing and even more can't lose him without a suitable replacement which looks unlikely. I was hoping we did do this, tbh. Sorry ST.

In the past the Spurs looked for reasons to extend players like Tony and Manu. For example Manu was injured one year before an extension and came back and played lights out; the Spurs quickly extended him. My point is LMA gives reason to believe for PATFO to extend him. He's showing improvement with passing out of the double team, even Manu mentioned it in the last interview, and the fact he has been underutilized. In my estimation he'll be an All Star again, and after the "heart to heart" and extension things will look more stable, reason why Paul didn't choose the Spurs.

LMA leaving San Antonio could doom the Spurs future and eventually cause Kawhi to leave in 2019, but if we lock him up and with one of these picks doing well, we could be in good position in the future. The big thing here is to not pay crazy money and after Patty and Pau I have no clue what an extension might look like.

These leads to my personal master plan, and that's to make a compelling offer to Klay Thompson. Murray/Thompson/Leonard/LMA would be exceptional. Just wanted to throw that out there cause I desperately want klay with Leonard.

Good post.:toast

Didn't Klay recently go on record saying he wants to stay in Oakland and will take some less money to do it? Some talking pundit said that.

itzsoweezee
10-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Spurs fans using one terrible mistake, the gasol contract, to justify another one is mind boggling.

ducks
10-16-2017, 12:40 PM
wonder what leonard thoughts are on this

BillMc
10-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Could mean a lot, actually. He has to opt out to be extended, so next year could be significantly cheaper.

You say opt out for an extension but Adrian's twitter post says opt in. I'm confused.

DJR210
10-16-2017, 12:43 PM
:lmao goodbye Kawhi

NASpurs
10-16-2017, 12:43 PM
That thread about Kawhi being worried about the team's future makes a lot more sense now.

raybies
10-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Good post.:toast

Didn't Klay recently go on record saying he wants to stay in Oakland and will take some less money to do it? Some talking pundit said that.
Yeah he did. But a couple years is a long time. He'll be deeply invested but it's worth a shot lol

Chinook
10-16-2017, 12:45 PM
You say opt out for an extension but Adrian's twitter post says opt in. I'm confused.

I don't think Woj is right. In fact, he should be very wrong, given that the longest extension you can get after a rookie deal or DPE is three years. I don't know enough about the new CBA to know for sure, but that would be the case under the old agreement, and I've yet to see anything that goes against that.

Chinook
10-16-2017, 12:45 PM
Spurs fans using one terrible mistake, the gasol contract, to justify another one is mind boggling.

LMA is an order of magnitude better than Pau. If they sign for the same money, it's a great deal.

BillMc
10-16-2017, 12:47 PM
Yeah he did. But a couple years is a long time. He'll be deeply invested but it's worth a shot lol

I agree. I'd be a great pairing.

I don't think Woj is right. In fact, he should be very wrong, given that the longest extension you can get after a rookie deal or DPE is three years. I don't know enough about the new CBA to know for sure, but that would be the case under the old agreement, and I've yet to see anything that goes against that.

Thanks. :toast

BillMc
10-16-2017, 12:47 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/ad/ad6c154ca1f4107e0581ec40e2e30e6085fe925657dfcc7958 1253aa416ef78d.jpg

NASpurs
10-16-2017, 12:50 PM
:lmao imagine in 3 years how sexy the contracts of Gasol, Aldridge and Mills are going to be when they're all on the wrong side of 30 and one on the wrong side of 40; also all of their games going to shit because of Father Time. And don't fucking tell me they'll trade them because the Spurs rarely trade anyone. Bye Kawhi. :(

Chinook
10-16-2017, 12:52 PM
:lmao imagine in 3 years how sexy the contracts of Gasol, Aldridge and Mills are going to be when they're all on the wrong side of 30 and one on the wrong side of 40; also all of their games going to shit because of Father Time. And don't fucking tell me they'll trade them because the Spurs rarely trade anyone. Bye Kawhi. :(

Au contraire, Kawhi knows he'll be set into his late 30s and early 40s if he stays in SA.

TimDunkem
10-16-2017, 12:53 PM
:vomit:

Chinook
10-16-2017, 12:55 PM

It's okay, I'm sure the Spurs are just working out that good old extend-and-trade maneuver.

NASpurs
10-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Au contraire, Kawhi knows he'll be set into his late 30s and early 40s if he stays in SA.

:lol yeah I guess that's one way to think about it.

BillMc
10-16-2017, 12:56 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21043191/san-antonio-spurs-lamarcus-aldridge-engaged-serious-discussions-contract-extension

There's an 11:59 deadline on Monday for Aldridge to reach an agreement with San Antonio that would allow him to opt into the $22.3 million player option on his 2018-'19 contract, and extend his deal for a maximum of three additional years.Aldridge is set to make $21.4 million in the 2017-'18 season.
If no deal is reached by midnight, Aldridge could amend his contract during the season to eliminate his 2018-'19 player option and extend for an additional four seasons.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Paying all that money for a playoff choker is bad business. LMA is soft as hell and who's to say he won't whine or sulk again to the detriment of the team?

Kawhi is 100% going to bolt, in this league you need a big 3 and the Spurs have a big one and a half at best.

itzsoweezee
10-16-2017, 01:03 PM
LMA is an order of magnitude better than Pau. If they sign for the same money, it's a great deal.

It is not a great deal. LMA cannot get that kind of money in the rest of the league. No one is going to pay that dude $20 mil/year for multiple years. Gtfoh

Chinook
10-16-2017, 01:15 PM
It is not a great deal. LMA cannot get that kind of money in the rest of the league. No one is going to pay that dude $20 mil/year for multiple years. Gtfoh

We don't know what LMA is going to get. We do know that a team gave Ryan Anderson (who's also significantly worse) $20 Million a year and that someone will give skilless DeAndre $30 Million.

look_at_g_shred
10-16-2017, 01:20 PM
We don't know what LMA is going to get. We do know that a team gave Ryan Anderson (who's also significantly worse) $20 Million a year and that someone will give skilless DeAndre $30 Million.
Hey cmon leave Jordan alone! Those lobs he catches keeps the asses in those seats.

BillMc
10-16-2017, 01:21 PM
Anyone want to try and handicap this? What are the odds it gets done before the deadline? I'm guessing better than 50 percent if the word is getting out.

cjw
10-16-2017, 01:22 PM

Uh, yes they will. The list of bigs who just signed for $20mm+ and multiple years over the past few off-season a includes guys like Ibaka, Adams, Whiteside, Horford, Drummond, Dwight, Ryan Anderson, Gobert, Millsap and Blake. Guys like Kanter and Noah are making close to $20.

For all his faults, Aldridge is much more well rounded than almost every player listed up there. Millsap is a better defender and Blake is great, when healthy.

You're a fool or a troll to think otherwise

NASpurs
10-16-2017, 01:22 PM
I mean, the guy is a freaking HOF'er against the Rockets and that's good enough for a trip to the WCF if the Spurs met the Rockets in the 2nd round. I guess that's something. *shrug*

BillMc
10-16-2017, 01:24 PM
Uh, yes they will. The list of bigs who just signed for $20mm+ and multiple years over the past few off-season a includes guys like Ibaka, Adams, Whiteside, Horford, Drummond, Dwight, Ryan Anderson, Gobert, Millsap and Blake. Guys like Kanter and Noah are making close to $20.

For all his faults, Aldridge is much more well rounded than almost every player listed up there. Millsap is a better defender and Blake is great, when healthy.

And yet poor David Lee cannot even get a contract. :depressed

Chinook
10-16-2017, 01:24 PM
Anyone want to try and handicap this? What are the odds it gets done before the deadline? I'm guessing better than 50 percent if the word is getting out.

I can't imagine they just started on this. Maybe LMA's camp approached them about it when Aldridge had a strong pre-season. Maybe Kawhi's hurt more than we know, and the team knows it needs LMA completely zen to weather the storm. Maybe PATFO just found out the new CBA rules (I just did). But failing all that, I think it's been in talks for a while and getting close. The Spurs don't have a history of negotiating against a deadline, though. So I am not sure how they're going to fare here.

BillMc
10-16-2017, 01:27 PM
I can't imagine they just started on this. Maybe LMA's camp approached them about it when Aldridge had a strong pre-season. Maybe Kawhi's hurt more than we know, and the team knows it needs LMA completely zen to weather the storm. Maybe PATFO just found out the new CBA rules (I just did). But failing all that, I think it's been in talks for a while and getting close. The Spurs don't have a history of negotiating against a deadline, though. So I am not sure how they're going to fare here.

I wonder with all the factors you and others have mentioned, if PATFO thinks locking him means (since his financial future is secured) that he'll worry less about numbers and All NBA teams, and do more dirty work the team needs.

Spurs have averaged 64 wins with LMA. Can't be all bad.

itzsoweezee
10-16-2017, 01:27 PM

That is a useless statement. We don't know the sun will rise tomorrow, but we can make a pretty educated guess.

Based on the cap situation of nearly every nba team over the next 2 to 3 years, which is not very hard to determine, the market for the specific services offered by LMA is very small. The market is certainly not going to pay $20 million plus for those services.

The fact that you used Ryan Anderson as an example makes it pretty clear that you have not considered the cap constraints for the vast majority of the league over the next few years.

baseline bum
10-16-2017, 01:30 PM
I mean, the guy is a freaking HOF'er against the Rockets and that's good enough for a trip to the WCF if the Spurs met the Rockets in the 2nd round. I guess that's something. *shrug*

???

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201705010SAS.html

baseline bum
10-16-2017, 01:31 PM
That is a useless statement. We don't know the sun will rise tomorrow, but we can make a pretty educated guess.

Based on the cap situation of nearly every nba team over the next 2 to 3 years, which is not very hard to determine, the market for the specific services offered by LMA is very small. The market is certainly not going to pay $20 million plus for those services.

The fact that you used Ryan Anderson as an example makes it pretty clear that you have not considered the cap constraints for the vast majority of the league over the next few years.

Aldridge should easily pull that kind of money.

itzsoweezee
10-16-2017, 01:31 PM

You're a fool for using examples of guys who signed years ago. No one is giving those guys money in the next couple of years, especially when cap space will be almost non-existent.

NASpurs
10-16-2017, 01:32 PM
???

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201705010SAS.html

The game the Spurs got skull-fucked?

I could counter that one with this one:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201705110HOU.html

Chinook
10-16-2017, 01:32 PM

The sun has risen literally a trillion times. That's an incomprehensibly large sample size. LMA has signed only one contract with SA, and everyone is heading into uncertainty. We don't know.

This is getting overstated. There are a number of teams with cap space. It just so happens that most good teams don't have it. Phoenix, Utah, Brooklyn, probably Milwaukee, Atlanta, LAL. A lot of teams will have space and nothing better to spend it on that a guy who can give you good points as a first option.

itzsoweezee
10-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Aldridge should easily pull that kind of money.

What team has the kind of cap space to pay him that much?

baseline bum
10-16-2017, 01:34 PM
The game the Spurs got skull-fucked?

I could counter that one with this one:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201705110HOU.html

He is feast or famine. Pretty much his story against every other team.

itzsoweezee
10-16-2017, 01:35 PM
The sun has risen literally a trillion times. That's an incomprehensibly large sample size. LMA has signed only one contract with SA, and everyone is heading into uncertainty. We don't know.

This is getting overstated. There are a number of teams with cap space. It just so happens that most good teams don't have it. Phoenix, Utah, Brooklyn, probably Milwaukee, Atlanta, LAL. A lot of teams will have space and nothing better to spend it on that a guy who can give you good points as a first option.

If you think Phoenix, Utah, Brooklyn, probably Milwaukee, Atlanta, LAL are going to give LMA $20+ million pet year, you are a moron.

NASpurs
10-16-2017, 01:37 PM
He is feast or famine. Pretty much his story against every other team.

I guess but he owned the Rockets pretty bad even back in his Portland days. He has a history against them which was the point of my post.

I don't even know why I'm defending Aldridge btw, I don't like him. :lol

sasaint
10-16-2017, 01:38 PM
wonder what leonard thoughts are on this

Hard to imagine that Kawhi wasn't in the loop. He must approve...?

Killakobe81
10-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Paying all that money for a playoff choker is bad business. LMA is soft as hell and who's to say he won't whine or sulk again to the detriment of the team?

Kawhi is 100% going to bolt, in this league you need a big 3 and the Spurs have a big one and a half at best.

agree with all this except Kiwi will definitely bolt ...
but LmA for 3 years better than him for 4 ...
maybe to knockoff the extra year on back end its worth it if his preseason isnt fool's gold.

baseline bum
10-16-2017, 01:40 PM
What team has the kind of cap space to pay him that much?

Utah, Orlando, Indiana, Phoenix, Dallas, Sacramento, LA2, Chicago, and Philly will all have enough capspace to sign him to that kind of deal in the summer if he opts out, so the Spurs aren't going to be able to extend him by lowballing.

Chinook
10-16-2017, 01:41 PM
If you think Phoenix, Utah, Brooklyn, probably Milwaukee, Atlanta, LAL are going to give LMA $20+ million pet year, you are a moron.

https://media.giphy.com/media/OazoCyXHeGyDm/giphy.gif

BillMc
10-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Maybe Kawhi's hurt more than we know, and the team knows it needs LMA completely zen to weather the storm.

God, I hope that's not a real possibility.

loveforthegame
10-16-2017, 01:44 PM

rjv
10-16-2017, 01:44 PM
God, I hope that's not a real possibility. there is no substantial reason to think that from all that i have seen and read.

Kool Bob Love
10-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Why? Is this the team the Spurs want for the future? Why waste Kawhi's prime like this?

At least LMA plays. Fucking weak ass Kawhi can't even get on the court without his pussy hurting.

apalisoc_9
10-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Goodbye Kawhi.

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 01:59 PM
I am thinking Chinook is ready for some run of the mill Zach Lowe humiliation.
I'd welcome him being resigned personally. At this rate, Spurs were at risk of losing him with nothing to show for it next season.
If they resigned Mills and Pau... resigning Lamarcus is a no brainer.

That billboard now comes into context for everyone right?
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/66/41/27/14292469/3/920x920.jpg

BillMc
10-16-2017, 02:03 PM
Went from trying to trade him on draft night to trying to extend him on the eve of the season. What a difference a few months (and one sit down with Pop) make.

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 02:04 PM
I don't understand what you mean here.

BillMc
10-16-2017, 02:05 PM
That billboard now comes into context for everyone right?
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/66/41/27/14292469/3/920x920.jpg

Another piece in the puzzle. :lol

RD2191
10-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Awesome, this is the same guy that admitted he pretty much quit on the Spurs, right?

baseline bum
10-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Another piece in the puzzle. :lol

Presti playing chess while Buford plays with his poop

TheGreatYacht
10-16-2017, 02:19 PM
Hope Kawhi wins multiple championships somewhere else.

Poop knows he's retiring soon, so at least he has an excuse to not giving a shit.... but Drunkford? This faggot virgin is fucking over this team with shitty contracts and trash youth.

Chinook
10-16-2017, 02:27 PM
I don't understand what you mean here.
BillMc

Apparently I was wrong, because you can extend four-year deals after two years now. It didn't used to be the case. And you can extend for four years now, when before you could only go three.

cjw
10-16-2017, 02:27 PM
You're a fool for using examples of guys who signed years ago. No one is giving those guys money in the next couple of years, especially when cap space will be almost non-existent.

Ibaka, Millsap, Blake were all last offseason. The others were the season prior after the cap jump, some of whom got extensions that kicked in big this year.

Aldridge is worth that kind of money (low 20s). But if he's in the high 20s... And I'm not a PATFO apologist - thought the Gasol deal was wretched.

BillMc
10-16-2017, 02:31 PM
BillMc (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=16431)

Apparently I was wrong, because you can extend four-year deals after two years now. It didn't used to be the case. And you can extend for four years now, when before you could only go three.

Thanks for the clarification. Good to have the resident cap/contract expert on ST to keep it all straight. :toast

DPG21920
10-16-2017, 02:31 PM
Hi All.

I'm good with this. Spurs are doing the same thing they have for a long time now; doing their best to re-tool while still trying to be a viable contender. This jives with that in a major way. Despite the drama and "lack" of production, this team with LMA has been to a WCF and had tremendous success in the regular season.

Any improvement in comfort from LMA results in a big time boost as long as some of the younger guys produce.

SA has had a top notch defense with LMA/Kawhi/Danny and were truly one of a couple teams that actually showed a legit pulse vs GS (both in regular season and playoffs).

For all the griping about LMA quitting/production he busted his a** on defense and that is not something that quitters do.

Also, why does Chinook hate Lowe? Lowe seemed to call this one in his last article.

Fireball
10-16-2017, 02:36 PM
I am ok with this as well ... but a part of me thinks LMA would bust his ass a little more if he fights for a new contract through the whole season ...

Seventyniner
10-16-2017, 02:38 PM
I am ok with this as well ... but a part of me thinks LMA would bust his ass a little more if he fights for a new contract through the whole season ...

It could also be that having more long-term security could make him play better. Different people have different motivations.

TheGreatYacht
10-16-2017, 02:47 PM
We won't even get to have contract Aldridge now :lmao

Mills 4/50M
Gasol 3/48M
Aldridge 3/90M

:lmao all this waste of Cap while Kawhi is still on a cheap contract
:lmao don't even want to think of Green, Fathead, and Parker's extensions

Killakobe81
10-16-2017, 02:53 PM

:rollin

Chinook
10-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Also, why does Chinook hate Lowe? Lowe seemed to call this one in his last article.

Lowe played the "I love the Spurs, but they really need to tank" card too much for me. Plus people started to think of him as an insider when he used to just be a columnist.

TD 21
10-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Ibaka got 3/$65M, so I'm guessing Aldridge gets about 3/$70M.

Like it or not, been saying for a while, that's it's in both sides interests to work out their differences, get him playing to his potential and commit long term.

They would have downgraded in free agency or trade and so long as Aldridge maintains the work ethic he apparently had this past off season, his game should age well.

This should actually increase the odds of Leonard re-signing. It's bad enough that they can't attract a superstar, but losing an incumbent star, without a clear path to another one, would have been worse.

TheGreatYacht
10-16-2017, 02:57 PM
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:lmao

Dex
10-16-2017, 03:00 PM

Like it or not, been saying for a while, that's it's in both sides interests to work out their differences, get him playing to his potential and commit long term.

They would have downgraded in free agency or trade and so long as Aldridge maintains the work ethic he apparently had this past off season, his game should age well.

This should actually increase the odds of Leonard re-signing. It's bad enough that they can't attract a superstar, but losing an incumbent star, without a clear path to another one, would have been worse.

Agreed 100%. Everyone assumes that if Aldridge leaves, the Spurs are going to use that contract space to bring in a star of equal or lesser value.

If you look at the Spurs history in free agency, that is far from gauranteed. Unless Lebron surprises us all and decides to come over next season, the Spurs still aren't a premiere FA destination...probably even less so now with the emergence of Houston and OKC.

Like it or not, the odds of the Spurs turning Aldridge into a valuable piece and maintaining continuity in the lineup bode better than trying to scrap the current team and rebuild from scratch around Kawhi in the next season or two.

Joseph Kony
10-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Lol at retards on this forum thinking most GMs wouldn't give LMA 20 million a season. :lol

TheGreatYacht
10-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Agreed 100%. Everyone assumes that if Aldridge leaves, the Spurs are going to use that contract space to bring in a star of equal or lesser value.

If you look at the Spurs history in free agency, that is far from gauranteed. Unless Lebron surprises us all and decides to come over next season, the Spurs still aren't a premiere FA destination...probably even less so now with the emergence of Houston and OKC.

Like it or not, the odds of the Spurs turning Aldridge into a valuable piece and maintaining continuity in the lineup bode better than trying to scrap the current team and rebuild from scratch around Kawhi in the next season or two.
Tldr;

"Spurs don't sign star FA's, so might as well not even try and settle with being average. RC let me drink your bath water baby I'll never question a move"

NASpurs
10-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Meanwhile in Fathead's world:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Sources-No-extension-for-Kyle-Anderson-12282116.php

Sources: No extension for Kyle Anderson

Chinook
10-16-2017, 03:07 PM
Unless it was for really cheap, I didn't want SA to extend Anderson. He needs to change his attitude, and facing NBA mortality might do that. It's a shame though that if he shows well, Brooklyn may Crabbe him.

BillMc
10-16-2017, 03:07 PM
Meanwhile in Fathead's world:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Sources-No-extension-for-Kyle-Anderson-12282116.php

Sources: No extension for Kyle Anderson

No reason to do so. He hasn't proven anything. And he'll still be an RFA.

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 03:08 PM

What I bolded was really my worry.
Once they signed Pau and Mills they showed they committed to this team... the better players of which are Kawhi and Aldridge. If Lamarcus walked they would be in a bad situation. I never thought Lebron or whomever was coming here next summer.

RD2191
10-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Tldr;

"Spurs don't sign star FA's, so might as well not even try and settle with being average. RC let me drink your bath water baby I'll never question a move"

The great yacht dropping nukes.

raybies
10-16-2017, 03:24 PM
LMA has agreed to extension per Woj

raybies
10-16-2017, 03:24 PM

Robz4000
10-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Welp, let's see the numbers on it before we cut our wrists.

raybies

raybies
someone called 3/70 kudos

NASpurs

raybies
10-16-2017, 03:28 PM

touche

Robz4000
10-16-2017, 03:28 PM
All things considered, not bad. Should be very tradeable unlike Gasol's albatross.

BatManu20
10-16-2017, 03:30 PM
It's official.

raybies
10-16-2017, 03:31 PM
about 24 mill per year with a partial guarantee. Not bad at all if he continues his production, aging well, and actually did learn to pass out a double team.

SupremeGuy
10-16-2017, 03:36 PM
All things considered, not bad. Should be very tradeable unlike Gasol's albatross.This. I can live with this.

BillMc
10-16-2017, 03:36 PM

So, as this is an "opt out" extension as Chinook postulated, we have him for 4 years. This year +3. Not 5 (if it were an "opt in" extension that started after 2018-19 season, then +3).

BillMc
10-16-2017, 03:37 PM
I said it all along. Spurs almost never lose players they truly want to keep.

Russ
10-16-2017, 03:40 PM
I wonder if an agreement (informal) to play the 5 if needed was a part of the deal.

raybies
10-16-2017, 03:40 PM
BillMc

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Hard to imagine that Kawhi wasn't in the loop. He must approve...?
For all we know Kawhi's concern for the roster was precisely that Aldridge wasn't secured to come back and he'd be stuck with Gasol as his best big tbh.... I have been critical of Lamarcus but one has to look around and wisen up.

Russ
10-16-2017, 03:43 PM
This may eliminate the need for LMA to accumulate a bunch of empty stats to secure his future.

Hopefully now LMA can concentrate on the things that help the team win.

BillMc
10-16-2017, 03:44 PM
BillMc (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=16431)

Cheers.:toast

So we have him locked in for 5 seasons.

BillMc
10-16-2017, 03:45 PM
This eliminates the need for LMA to accumulate a bunch of empty stats this year to secure his future.

Hopefully now LMA can concentrate on the things that help the team win.

Exactly.

Here's your money now get your ass to center and rebound. :lol

BillMc
10-16-2017, 03:46 PM
Should be his last big contract as he will be what 37? when this over?

vy65
10-16-2017, 03:47 PM
I now know how people can delude themselves so much into thinking Donald J. Trump would make a good president.

RIP Spurs

raybies
10-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Cheers.:toast

So we have him locked in for 5 seasons.
yup

Current contract:
2017-2018
2018-2019 (Opted In)

3 year Extension:
2019-2020
2020-2021
2021-2022 (correction*)

If it starts in 2019-2020 then it should end 2021-2022. Where's Sham at lol. Woj shooting brainfarts out here

Holden_Caulfield
10-16-2017, 03:49 PM
your move Golden State!

turkish spurs fan
10-16-2017, 03:50 PM
how much will popovich be paid by lma? i think %15.

tonight...you
your move Golden State!
Lol... Check and mate.

Russ
I now know how people can delude themselves so much into thinking Donald J. Trump would make a good president.

RIP Spurs

Look at the bright side.

Popovich never deluded himself about Trump and he engineered this deal.

Chinook
10-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Should be his last big contract as he will be what 37? when this over?

Only if you don't count his upcoming 2022 $50M/3 deal a "big contract".

vy65
10-16-2017, 03:52 PM
$170 MM for Pau, Patty, and LaMarcus.

Let that sink in.

raybies
3/48*

Chinook
3/48*

Gotta count for inflation, broheim.

raybies
10-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Gotta count for inflation, broheim.
:toast:lol

Russ
10-16-2017, 03:54 PM

LMA's next contract won't be for money -- just a piece of the team. :lol

marinoman
10-16-2017, 03:55 PM
All things considered, not bad. Should be very tradeable unlike Gasol's albatross.
It’s sad to that the team is in a state where we’re well it’s not as bad as other shit we did. Btw don’t forget about mills who made Livingston look like a basketball god

TheGreatYacht
10-16-2017, 03:55 PM
2020 Spurs 4th quarter lineup:

40yr old Pau Gasoft
35yr old Lamarsha Softridge
34yr old Rudy Gay
44yr old Manure Ginose
38yr old Tony Parker

2020 residential Spurstalk fluffers:
"Yay PATFO! 2025 was the plan anyways! :cheer"

NASpurs
10-16-2017, 03:57 PM

40yr old Pau Gasoft
34yr old Rudy Gay
44yr old Manure Ginose
38yr old Tony Parker

All for the low price of $200 million :wow

marinoman
10-16-2017, 03:58 PM

Let that sink in.
The shit 3

Robz4000
It’s sad to that the team is in a state where we’re well it’s not as bad as other shit we did. Btw don’t forget about mills who made Livingston look like a basketball god

Agreed, but it is what it is. At least LMA has the potential to play like an All Star unlike the other two.

TheGreatYacht

Let that sink in.
Jesus fucking Christ. North Korea can't come for our asses soon enough.

cd98
LMA with the loyalty contract without needing to be loyal.

RD2191
10-16-2017, 03:59 PM

40yr old Pau Gasoft
34yr old Rudy Gay
44yr old Manure Ginose
38yr old Tony Parker

Crofl. Kawhi packing his bags as we speak.

vy65
So this move effectively closes any shot of a meaningful FA signing over what? The next 2-3 years?

This is the team that is supposed to compete in the west? And people are saying this is a good signing?

TheGreatYacht
All for the low price of $200 million :wow
Our players stayed loyal :cry ..... after we overpaid

raybies

40yr old Pau Gasoft
34yr old Rudy Gay
44yr old Manure Ginose
38yr old Tony Parker

:rollin

Chinook
Pop just giving LMA some cash to buy a new house is all.

tonight...you
10-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Crofl. Kawhi packing his bags as we speak.
All the good stuff is already out of the house. He filled his SA home with Big Lots furni just to fill space during the season.

Poor guy has to sit on Big Lots furniture...

cd98
10-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Did Chris Paul say he choose Rockets over Spurs because of LMA situation appeared to cast a shroud of uncertainty?

phxspurfan
10-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Spurs happy to be mediocre

NASpurs
10-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Our players stayed loyal :cry ..... after we overpaid

:lol All this loyalty and overpaying talk reminds me of this:

http://nbatrades.tumblr.com/post/35016395902/san-antonio-spurs-sign-and-trade-derek-anderson-to

Derek Anderson on his dissatisfaction with Spurs management (via Pocono Record (http://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.poconorecord.com%2Fapp s%2Fpbcs.dll%2Farticle%3FAID%3D%2F20010726%2FSPORT S90%2F307269979%26cid%3Dsitesearch&t=N2Y5NDJiZDQ0YzIzNzk1MWVhZjUyOWI0ZDEyZjEyZDZmOTlk ZWRmMCxJaGZLcjNVMA%3D%3D&b=t%3A_tL86fM7Xb6DjhoRv8faiw&p=http%3A%2F%2Fnbatrades.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F35016 395902%2Fsan-antonio-spurs-sign-and-trade-derek-anderson-to&m=1)):
“My loyalty is with the people who are going to be loyal to me. I just think they’re in a situation where they have to look at themselves in the mirror and say, ‘What in the world were we thinking?’ Because I did nothing negative to them. I don’t buy into the 'Aw, it’s a business, people lie to you.’ You don’t have to lie to me; tell me the truth and move on.”

On Spurs coach Gregg Popovich saying that he reneged on a deal:
“They just lied. Your word is your word, but I didn’t give it to anybody. But like I told him, 'We are Christians. We have to forgive each other.’ He has to deal with his mistakes. This is a business. You can’t take it personally.”

Steve Kerr on the trade (via Arizona Daily Star (http://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newspapers.com%2Fnews page%2F221114692%2F&t=MmE1OTdiZTRjN2RmNWJkZDA2YWMwMzNmNWIxMTQ2OGM5MzY3 NWQ1MyxJaGZLcjNVMA%3D%3D&b=t%3A_tL86fM7Xb6DjhoRv8faiw&p=http%3A%2F%2Fnbatrades.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F35016 395902%2Fsan-antonio-spurs-sign-and-trade-derek-anderson-to&m=1)):

“I’m not thrilled with it, because I was just a throw-in. It’s tough at this stage of my career. I’ve got three kids, two of them are in school, and now I have to pack up and go. But it’s part of the job. You just have to live with it.”

How he felt that he initially didn’t react well to the trade (via Blazers.com (http://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2Fweb%2F20 011208103742%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.nba.com%2Fblazers% 2Ffeatures%2FA_Veteran_of_Terrorism-30483-41.html&t=ZWM4Y2M1Y2M0Zjc3YTU0MzgxY2EwMjhkYzJkZmQ5OWFlODRi N2JkMixJaGZLcjNVMA%3D%3D&b=t%3A_tL86fM7Xb6DjhoRv8faiw&p=http%3A%2F%2Fnbatrades.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F35016 395902%2Fsan-antonio-spurs-sign-and-trade-derek-anderson-to&m=1)):

“I probably shouldn’t have reacted the way I did. I was a little upset at the trade, mainly because my family was settled in San Antonio. It’s just hard with kids in school to have to pack up and go.”

dabom
10-16-2017, 04:06 PM
Good value deal tbh. Really great actually

tonight...you
10-16-2017, 04:10 PM

http://nbatrades.tumblr.com/post/35016395902/san-antonio-spurs-sign-and-trade-derek-anderson-to

Derek Anderson on his dissatisfaction with Spurs management (via Pocono Record (http://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.poconorecord.com%2Fapp s%2Fpbcs.dll%2Farticle%3FAID%3D%2F20010726%2FSPORT S90%2F307269979%26cid%3Dsitesearch&t=N2Y5NDJiZDQ0YzIzNzk1MWVhZjUyOWI0ZDEyZjEyZDZmOTlk ZWRmMCxJaGZLcjNVMA%3D%3D&b=t%3A_tL86fM7Xb6DjhoRv8faiw&p=http%3A%2F%2Fnbatrades.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F35016 395902%2Fsan-antonio-spurs-sign-and-trade-derek-anderson-to&m=1)):
“My loyalty is with the people who are going to be loyal to me. I just think they’re in a situation where they have to look at themselves in the mirror and say, ‘What in the world were we thinking?’ Because I did nothing negative to them. I don’t buy into the 'Aw, it’s a business, people lie to you.’ You don’t have to lie to me; tell me the truth and move on.”

“They just lied. Your word is your word, but I didn’t give it to anybody. But like I told him, 'We are Christians. We have to forgive each other.’ He has to deal with his mistakes. This is a business. You can’t take it personally.”

Steve Kerr on the trade (via Arizona Daily Star (http://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newspapers.com%2Fnews page%2F221114692%2F&t=MmE1OTdiZTRjN2RmNWJkZDA2YWMwMzNmNWIxMTQ2OGM5MzY3 NWQ1MyxJaGZLcjNVMA%3D%3D&b=t%3A_tL86fM7Xb6DjhoRv8faiw&p=http%3A%2F%2Fnbatrades.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F35016 395902%2Fsan-antonio-spurs-sign-and-trade-derek-anderson-to&m=1)):
“I’m not thrilled with it, because I was just a throw-in. It’s tough at this stage of my career. I’ve got three kids, two of them are in school, and now I have to pack up and go. But it’s part of the job. You just have to live with it.”

How he felt that he initially didn’t react well to the trade (via Blazers.com (http://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2Fweb%2F20 011208103742%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.nba.com%2Fblazers% 2Ffeatures%2FA_Veteran_of_Terrorism-30483-41.html&t=ZWM4Y2M1Y2M0Zjc3YTU0MzgxY2EwMjhkYzJkZmQ5OWFlODRi N2JkMixJaGZLcjNVMA%3D%3D&b=t%3A_tL86fM7Xb6DjhoRv8faiw&p=http%3A%2F%2Fnbatrades.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F35016 395902%2Fsan-antonio-spurs-sign-and-trade-derek-anderson-to&m=1)):
“I probably shouldn’t have reacted the way I did. I was a little upset at the trade, mainly because my family was settled in San Antonio. It’s just hard with kids in school to have to pack up and go.”

And then the Spurs got Herpes. Not just the Herpy Herp, but HITA! How's that for instant karma, huh?

cd98
10-16-2017, 04:11 PM

40yr old Pau Gasoft
34yr old Rudy Gay
44yr old Manure Ginose
38yr old Tony Parker

This bodes well for our chances of signing Lebron and CP3 when they are so old no one else will want to sign them.

tonight...you
10-16-2017, 04:11 PM
Good value deal tbh. Really great actually
I ain't frowning, big dog.

look_at_g_shred
10-16-2017, 04:12 PM
Agreed, but it is what it is. At least LMA has the potential to play like an All Star unlike the other two.

Russ
10-16-2017, 04:13 PM

You had me until Derek Anderson . . .

NASpurs
10-16-2017, 04:21 PM
You had me until Derek Anderson . . .

All this loyalty talk just triggered my memories and I remembered all that shit he talked back then, and how he later came out with his "Loyalty" brand of clothing with that word glued on to everything. :lol

tonight...you
10-16-2017, 04:23 PM
All this loyalty talk just triggered my memories and I remembered all that shit he talked back then, and how he later came out with his "Loyalty" brand of clothing with that word glued on to everything. :lol
Probably can't even GIS that hot garbage anymore...

vy65
10-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Jesus fucking Christ. North Korea can't come for our asses soon enough.

The Spurs just re-upped a player whom they were actively trying to trade 4 months ago — without a single, meaningful game being played in that intervening 4 month timeframe. They re-upped a player who admitted to not having played as hard as he could. Someone who admitted to being disgruntled/questioning his fit within the team. All of this because of what? He had some wine with Pop?

I didn’t know so many people in San Antonio drank bleach on a regular basis ...

apalisoc_9
10-16-2017, 04:24 PM
So in two years this is the starting lineup.

Gasol 39 years old
Aldridge 35 years old
Kawhi 28 years old
Danny Green 33 years old
Parker 38 years old.

:lmao

cjw
10-16-2017, 04:26 PM

Gasol 39 years old
Aldridge 35 years old
Kawhi 28 years old
Danny Green 33 years old
Parker 38 years old.

Gasol and Parker won't be starting - definitely coming off the bench at that point. Mills as a starter does scare the crap out of me though.

Likely will be Murray and an unknown fourth guy by then.

sasaint
10-16-2017, 04:27 PM
Exactly.

Here's your money now get your ass to center and rebound. :lol

:tu

tonight...you
10-16-2017, 04:28 PM

Gasol 39 years old
Aldridge 35 years old
Kawhi 28 years old
Danny Green 33 years old
Parker 38 years old.

Yup. That will be the SL. Guaranteed. 100%. Have fun.

apalisoc_9
10-16-2017, 04:30 PM
In two years..

Rudy gay 33
Mills 32
Parker 39
Gasol 39
Aldridge 35
Green 35

Yeah sounds like a plan :lmao

but kawhi gets so much help :lmao

bklynspursfan
10-16-2017, 04:30 PM
Gasol and Parker won't be starting - definitely coming off the bench at that point. Mills as a starter does scare the crap out of me though.

Likely will be Murray and an unknown fourth guy by then.

Yea there's no way that's the starting 5..

Chinook
10-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Yea there's no way that's the starting 5..

Yeah, I'm assuming Manu starts at the two. He will still be able to give a good 15 seconds.

TimDunkem
10-16-2017, 04:39 PM
Tldr;

kjhip1
10-16-2017, 04:42 PM
All I would like to see is a fair matchup between GS and SAS. We almost got that last year until well you know... it's funny how everyone becomes dismissive of spurs when we have consistently shown the ability to push GS around (with a healthy Kawhi) Having LMA locked up for the next 4 years is encouraging especially at below market value. I believe this year's season can do a lot for Spurs going forward. I'll be interested in seeing the numbers LMA puts up to begin the season.

vy65
10-16-2017, 04:44 PM
Tldr;

Pop and RC could murder a 60 year old woman on public television Vietnaman War style, and ST posters would find a way to claim its a good move: “they won 60 games, hear them out on why they sprayed her brains all over the street ...”

apalisoc_9
10-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Pop and RC could murder a 60 year old woman on public television Vietnaman War style, and ST posters would find a way to claim its a good move: “they won 60 games, hear them out on why they sprayed her brains all over the street ...”

vy65
10-16-2017, 04:49 PM
Houston Rockets point guard Chris Paul was "seriously interested" in joining the San Antonio Spurs this offseason but was influenced by questions regarding LaMarcus Aldridge's future.

Lol, “trust the FO, they know what they’re doing”

ducks
10-16-2017, 04:49 PM
In two years..

Rudy gay 33
Mills 32
Parker 39
Gasol 39
Aldridge 35
Green 35

I thought he was the best what is his issue

DeRozan m8
10-16-2017, 04:52 PM
I just have no words for patfo anymore.

Lma doesn't deserve shit right now.

Make him fucking earn it.

Now he'll have no urge again and will be a passive fuck for 2 more years.

Just what we need.

This guy can't get anything done without an alpha above him

RD2191
10-16-2017, 04:53 PM

:lmao bold this man

bklynspursfan
10-16-2017, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I'm assuming Manu starts at the two. He will still be able to give a good 15 seconds.

Ha.. Manu magic is always a good thing.

tonight...you
10-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Houston Rockets point guard Chris Paul was "seriously interested" in joining the San Antonio Spurs this offseason but was influenced by questions regarding LaMarcus Aldridge's future.

I always smile when you're in a good mood. It's a warm feeling I just like to hang on to as long as I can.

vy65
10-16-2017, 04:55 PM
I always smile when you're in a good mood. It's a warm feeling I just like to hang on to as long as I can.

Oh great, slightly-more-creepy Cubby is posting ...

Chinook
10-16-2017, 04:56 PM

Really think you're reading that first part wrong.

vy65
10-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Really think you're reading that first part wrong.

How so?

Chinook
10-16-2017, 04:59 PM
How so?

Paul most likely wanted LMA on the team and was turned off by PATFO trying to move him. Say what you want, but LMA would have been the third member of a Big Three. It made much more sense to have him than move him.

vy65
10-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Paul most likely wanted LMA on the team and was turned off by PATFO trying to move him. Say what you want, but LMA would have been the third member of a Big Three. It made much more sense to have him than move him.

If we were keen on Paul, then why would we have actively shopped LMA? Did they shop him without first feeling out how Paul felt about the situation? How is that anything but more incompetence on the part of the FO?

tholdren
10-16-2017, 05:03 PM
In two years..

Rudy gay 33
Mills 32
Parker 39
Gasol 39
Aldridge 35
Green 35

Youre not smart.

Chinook
10-16-2017, 05:03 PM
If we were keen on Paul, then why would we have actively shopped LMA? Did they shop him without first feeling out how Paul felt about the situation? How is that anything but more incompetence on the part of the FO?

They needed cap space and seemingly had no desire to get it from Patty or Tony. Once you locked those guys in and wink-winked with Pau, you could only create the room with LMA and DG.

TheGreatYacht
10-16-2017, 05:04 PM

vy65
10-16-2017, 05:06 PM
They needed cap space and seemingly had no desire to get it from Patty or Tony. Once you locked those guys in and wink-winked with Pau, you could only create the room with LMA and DG.

That’s fascinating, but also irrelevant to the question I asked: if they were in the hunt for Paul, why do something that — in your opinion — alienated him from coming to SA? Particularly when there was, as you said, a wink-wink deal with Pau for the cap space?

They had Pau opt-out to create room for a guy on whom they had done no due dilligence on?

Russ
10-16-2017, 05:06 PM

Dang, we could've had LMA and CP3?

Seriously, SA is just too small for Paul -- he was just mouthing an excuse to deflect.

Plus, no team that Chris Paul is on will win a ring. Ever.

TimDunkem
10-16-2017, 05:08 PM

"I personally wouldn't have murdered a woman on live television, but I'm sure this is all part of a bigger picture we're not seeing. This is a team that just had back-to-back 60 win seasons after all. CIA Pop and RC know what they're doing. Go Spurs Go!" - Dex

Chinook
10-16-2017, 05:11 PM
That’s fascinating, but also irrelevant to the question I asked: if they were in the hunt for Paul, why do something that — in your opinion — alienated him from coming to SA? Particularly when there was, as you said, a wink-wink deal with Pau for the cap space?

They had Pau opt-out to create room for a guy on whom they had done no due dilligence on?

Why do you do that? It's clearly relevant to the situation that they needed cap space for Paul. That's why they put LMA and Green on the market. No cap space, no ability to sign Paul, alienated or no. Maybe you're asking why they didn't sell out on Paul, but of course, that would have been silly. Pop had a plan on how he wanted to play this rotation, and it involved multiple PGs. He was going to try to play at least three of Parker, Paul, Patty and PDeJounte.

SuperCam
10-16-2017, 05:12 PM

40yr old Pau Gasoft
34yr old Rudy Gay
44yr old Manure Ginose
38yr old Tony Parker

:wow

PATFO suckers can't :downspin: this :lol

Zero WCF wins the last three seasons says it all tbh.

:cry det culture setting up los Spurs as the team of the 2020s :cry

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 05:12 PM
Unless it was for really cheap, I didn't want SA to extend Anderson. He needs to change his attitude, and facing NBA mortality might do that. It's a shame though that if he shows well, Brooklyn may Crabbe him.
He’s local from NY and popular there. It might even be a dream for him to play for the home crowd. Like Cojo, his home team is a threat. I don’t know what their situation is but the Knicks are also a threat. I wish him well. I think he’ll get paid maybe not by the Spurs but he’s hungry and will likely play well. Spurs will be fine without him obviously. Like JSimms he’s going to be east bound I think.

tbdog
10-16-2017, 05:13 PM
6mil less than Millsap per year. And far less than Griffin.

TimDunkem
10-16-2017, 05:17 PM
:wow

PATFO suckers can't :downspin: this :lol

Zero WCF wins the last three seasons says it all tbh.

:cry det culture setting up los Spurs as the team of the 2020s :cry

"But we won 60 games! We're still good enough to lose in the conference finals every year!" - PATFO slurpers who Golden State has turned into Mav/Suns fans content with cute RS records

vy65
10-16-2017, 05:17 PM
Why do you do that? It's clearly relevant to the situation that they needed cap space for Paul. That's why they put LMA and Green on the market. No cap space, no ability to sign Paul, alienated or no. Maybe you're asking why they didn't sell out on Paul, but of course, that would have been silly. Pop had a plan on how he wanted to play this rotation, and it involved multiple PGs. He was going to try to play at least three of Parker, Paul, Patty and PDeJounte.

So the spurs targetted Paul without doing their due dilligence on what it would take to sign him by shopping LMA and compounding that mistake by having Pau opt out? Is that evidence of FO competence or incompetence?

Does the FO look competent or incompetent signing the guy who’s up-in-the-air status was cited as the reason for Paul not coming here?

tonight...you
10-16-2017, 05:20 PM
Oh great, slightly-more-creepy Cubby is posting ...
Sensitive... You've been fondled, haven't you.
I don't blame you then.

TimDunkem
10-16-2017, 05:20 PM
So the spurs targetted Paul without doing their due dilligence on what it would take to sign him by shopping LMA and compounding that mistake by having Pau opt out? Is that evidence of FO competence or incompetence?

Does the FO look competent or incompetent signing the guy who’s up-in-the-air status was cited as the reason for Paul not coming here?

Doesn't matter. LMA got a relatively good deal so all is forgiven about handing out other bad contracts and possibly mismanaging the Paul situation. We're going to win a lot of regular season games, bro!

tonight...you
10-16-2017, 05:22 PM
Doesn't matter. LMA got a relatively good deal so all is forgiven about handing out other bad contracts and possibly mismanaging the Paul situation. We're going to win a lot of regular season games, bro!
Yeah... only chance they have is for some fortuitous injuries, I think, but stranger things have happened...
Look at the injuries during the Warriors 1st championship run.

vy65
10-16-2017, 05:23 PM

I dunno about you, but I’m pretty pumped about hoisting up that SW Division Champs Banner.

Splits
10-16-2017, 05:23 PM
your move Golden State!

https://media.giphy.com/media/lU496i6IKSs5G/giphy.gif

baseline bum
10-16-2017, 05:25 PM
So this move effectively closes any shot of a meaningful FA signing over what? The next 2-3 years?

This is the team that is supposed to compete in the west? And people are saying this is a good signing?

And it pretty much forces them to bring Parker back next summer :lol

TimDunkem
10-16-2017, 05:26 PM
I dunno about you, but I’m pretty pumped about hoisting up that SW Division Champs Banner.
I remember how this used to be a thing most of the old timers here would laugh at other franchises about. How ironic that, now that GS has the reigns on the league, this is what the PATFO slurpers point to as a successful season now.

tonight...you
10-16-2017, 05:27 PM
Hope Parker comes back and burns out like a meteor in the atmosphere to force this team's hand.
Nothing left, but a cinder. Jesus... They might still give him a sick contract!

God Dammit!!!

vy65
10-16-2017, 05:28 PM

Are you tired of all this winnning yet or what?

TimDunkem

"The Pau signing is giving us flexibility to make a big trade later! Don't worry about the cap, LMA and DG will opt out anyway!" - PATFO slurpers just a month ago

Can't wait for Danny's loyalty extension next.

baseline bum
I remember how this used to be a thing most of the old timers here would laugh at other franchises about. How ironic that, now that GS has the reigns on the league, this is what the PATFO slurpers point to as a successful season now.

Meh I think last year was a successful season. There is no move the Spurs could do to catch Golden State short of Green for LeBron.

tonight...you
10-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Okay, I can't keep this bitchfest up with ya'll.
You guys do yeoman's work on here.

It's good that this site is filled with ditch diggers. Fitting, really.

TheGreatYacht
http://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/styles/marquee_large_2x/public/videos/2157889318001_5328458981001_5328441673001-vs.jpg?itok=fg_4Tbzw

TimDunkem
Meh I think last year was a successful season. There is no move the Spurs could do to catch Golden State short of Green for LeBron.
Being really good and not winning it all is one thing, but hamstringing the team with bad contracts given out to losers and killing your chances of competing with the teams that matter is what's upsetting.

TimDunkem
10-16-2017, 05:32 PM
http://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/styles/marquee_large_2x/public/videos/2157889318001_5328458981001_5328441673001-vs.jpg?itok=fg_4TbzwHow many layups and fadeaways do you think LMA misses over Green if these teams meet in the WCF? :lol

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 05:35 PM

Let that sink in.
I already complained all summer about 12:01 Mills and the Gasol overpay. This is the icing on that cake. Lamarcus has a better chance of living up to the deal.

baseline bum
10-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Hope Parker comes back and burns out like a meteor in the atmosphere to force this team's hand.
Nothing left, but a cinder. Jesus... They might still give him a sick contract!

God Dammit!!!

They're pretty much forced to though. They're not getting a starting point guard with the $12.5 million or so they'll have under the cap (assuming Green opts out). So expect something like 3 years, $65 million unless Parker can't walk.

Chinook
10-16-2017, 05:36 PM

Pau opted out with the idea that he might take less if they could get Paul. He would have been cheaper than LMA, so they could move Aldridge, sign Paul, and run CP3/Simmons/Leonard/Gay/Gasol. In reality, that's worse than they're going to run right now, but eventually, Tony would be back, and you'd have:

Paul, Mills
Parker, Simmons
Leonard, Ginobili
Gay/Lee, Anderson/Bertans
Gasol, Lauverge or whomever

Pop could finally live his dream of Tony as the starting two-guard. With the exception of Pau, the starting unity would be pretty dynamic offensively. Defensively, with Paul and Kawhi, you hope it still holds up. If they could unearth a new Dedmon, then you could really have something. But it didn't work out, because Paul was more interested in getting a stacked roster, and Houston promised to go after Melo while SA was trying to dump Aldridge. The Rockets just looked more committed to winning.

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 05:37 PM
How many layups and fadeaways do you think LMA misses over Green if these teams meet in the WCF? :lol
I am hoping Kyle comes out balling since he wasn’t afraid of Raymond. I want Kyle to get paid and get a real roster spot. He needs to ball out that series

Chinook
10-16-2017, 05:38 PM
"The Pau signing is giving us flexibility to make a big trade later! Don't worry about the cap, LMA and DG will opt out anyway!" - PATFO slurpers just a month ago

Did anyone actually like the Pau deal? Anyone at all? It's funny though, that you're trying to act like others are idiots for saying LMA was going to leave, when that was your hill during the off-season.

jjktkk
10-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Hope Kawhi wins multiple championships somewhere else.

Poop knows he's retiring soon, so at least he has an excuse to not giving a shit.... but Drunkford? This faggot virgin is fucking over this team with shitty contracts and trash youth.

Well if the great boat faggot thinks its a bad move, its gotta be the right move. :lol

TimDunkem
10-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Did anyone actually like the Pau deal? Anyone at all? It's funny though, that you're trying to act like others are idiots for saying LMA was going to leave, when that was your hill during the off-season.
It actually wasn't. I knew LMA wouldn't opt out. That was one of my gripes with giving out huge contracts. I was only hoping he'd be moved.

And, yes, people here were saying the Pau contract was opening the doors to a game changing trade down the road. I'm not optimistic about that one.

xellos88330
10-16-2017, 05:40 PM
Let's hope that Aldridge will play with a chip on his shoulder this year towards the rest of the league for passing up on him during trade talks. If he can do that, then I will be satisfied.

vy65
10-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Pau opted out with the idea that he might take less if they could get Paul. He would have been cheaper than LMA, so they could move Aldridge, sign Paul, and run CP3/Simmons/Leonard/Gay/Gasol. In reality, that's worse than they're going to run right now, but eventually, Tony would be back, and you'd have:

Paul, Mills
Parker, Simmons
Leonard, Ginobili
Gay/Lee, Anderson/Bertans
Gasol, Lauverge or whomever

Pop could finally live his dream of Tony as the starting two-guard. With the exception of Pau, the starting unity would be pretty dynamic offensively. Defensively, with Paul and Kawhi, you hope it still holds up. If they could unearth a new Dedmon, then you could really have something. But it didn't work out, because Paul was more interested in getting a stacked roster, and Houston promised to go after Melo while SA was trying to dump Aldridge. The Rockets just looked more committed to winning.

None of this comes close to addressing the fact that the FO totally fucked up their pursuit of Paul. But, in fairness, I think you gave up trying to argue otherwise, so good on you.

tonight...you
10-16-2017, 05:46 PM
I am hoping Kyle comes out balling since he wasn’t afraid of Raymond. I want Kyle to get paid and get a real roster spot. He needs to ball out that series
I hope he comes out like his ass hair is on fire.

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 05:52 PM
I hope he comes out like his ass hair is on fire.
:lmao:flag:

tbdog
10-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Gasol's final year is 6.5mil. It's a retirement bonus and about 5% of the cap. The problem is it's 32mil for 2 years.

Chinook
10-16-2017, 05:53 PM
None of this comes close to addressing the fact that the FO totally fucked up their pursuit of Paul. But, in fairness, I think you gave up trying to argue otherwise, so good on you.

I never said PAFTO did well trying to get Paul. If you recall, I never wanted Paul, so I don't care one way or another if they could have gotten him. I do think Pop had a plan for the roster and wasn't going to ask CP3 to pick the personnel, which makes a ton of sense. That turned off Paul, though, not the team not getting rid of Aldridge, which seems to have been your original belief. They could have dumped him if they really wanted to.

Chinook
10-16-2017, 05:54 PM
Gasol's final year is 6.5mil. It's a retirement bonus and about 5% of the cap. The problem is it's 32mil for 2 years.

The final year is the problem. They should have given him $39M/2 instead. Can't keep having dead money on the cap. It's insane an NBA team has as much as the Spurs and Blazers do as it is.

NASpurs
10-16-2017, 05:55 PM

The Jeff McDonalds of this world, "it's OK to let someone else have a turn", fucking losers:

TimDunkem
10-16-2017, 05:58 PM
The Jeff McDonalds of this world, "it's OK to let someone else have a turn", fucking losers:

Disgusting that this is our inside man. Not only does he not have any real insider info, but he's completely indifferent about the team he covers.

vy65
10-16-2017, 06:04 PM
I never said PAFTO did well trying to get Paul. If you recall, I never wanted Paul, so I don't care one way or another if they could have gotten him. I do think Pop had a plan for the roster and wasn't going to ask CP3 to pick the personnel, which makes a ton of sense. That turned off Paul, though, not the team not getting rid of Aldridge, which seems to have been your original belief. They could have dumped him if they really wanted to.

So everything you posted was irrelevant to the point I was making — that PATFO miserably fucked up in their pursuit of Chris Paul?

Awesome, thanks.

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 06:07 PM
I am done predicting he will retire. He's doing another season after this one. :toast

tdominate21
10-16-2017, 06:11 PM
In two years..

Rudy gay 33
Mills 32
Parker 39
Gasol 39
Aldridge 35
Green 35

So who would you rather have the spurs sign? And you're an idiot if you don't think the spurs tried to get cp3. So who would have made us better?

Chinook
10-16-2017, 06:18 PM
So everything you posted was irrelevant to the point I was making — that PATFO miserably fucked up in their pursuit of Chris Paul?

Awesome, thanks.

That wasn't your point. Your point was that the uncertainty with Aldridge hurt the team's chances with Paul. Presumably, you thought that Paul didn't want LMA, because you tried to make that point in this thread after bitching about Aldridge's contract over and over. The truth is, if this extension had happened earlier (which it legally couldn't have happened before Paul decided to go to Houston), it may have helped get Paul, not hurt. It's one thing to not admit you were mistaken. I get that. I don't get you always acting dismissive about it, though.

My point was totally relevant to yours. I said you didn't know why Paul made the statement about Aldridge, and you didn't. 99 percent of the folks on here didn't like the off-season. Trying to act like that was your thesis is silly.

tonight...you
10-16-2017, 06:20 PM
That wasn't your point. Your point was that the uncertainty with Aldridge hurt the team's chances with Paul. Presumably, you thought that Paul didn't want LMA, because you tried to make that point in this thread after bitching about Aldridge's contract over and over. The truth is, if this extension had happened earlier (which it legally couldn't have happened before Paul decided to go to Houston), it may have helped get Paul, not hurt. It's one thing to not admit you were mistaken. I get that. I don't get you always acting dismissive about it, though.

My point was totally relevant to yours. I said you didn't know why Paul made the statement about Aldridge, and you didn't. 99 percent of the folks on here didn't like the off-season. Trying to act like that was your thesis is silly.
Don't worry about him. He's Sensitive.

Russ
10-16-2017, 06:21 PM
One thing is for damn sure -- none of this smacks of desperation.

The FO seems smugly confident in these moves.

So, as the old labor anthem goes, which side are you on?

I'll tentatively side with the FO -- they probably know almost as much about this stuff as I do.

Chinook
10-16-2017, 06:23 PM
I have little doubt that SA will remain a relatively competitive for the life of LMA's deal, barring injury. In that regard, it will be hard to rag on PATFO. But they could have done so much more and didn't.

coachmac87
10-16-2017, 06:27 PM

I think PATFO underestimated Houston as a legit threat to lure him away..and once they jumped on board Spurs were fucked..As we all said Spurs needed to make moves in order to fit in Paul..

Houston really didn't and had a better immediate roster to sell..:plus Harden being a friend..So Paul pulled the trigger.

Spurs couldn't be as aggressive as Houston because they weren't gonna make major changes and risk it all for nothing..waaay different then the situation with Tiago/LMA

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 06:36 PM

I am thinking Danny may sign for more years in a moderate contract similar to the one he has now.

All these guards in the team lately, and all these loyalty contracts, I am sure PATFO would love to have Danny back in a similar contract. If he wants to go higher I have doubts.

vy65
10-16-2017, 06:37 PM

No, my point was that re-signing the guy who’s uncertain status 4 months ago was cited as being the reason Paul didn’t choose the Spurs is pretty spectacular evidence of incompetence. That’s why I quoted an article saying that Paul didn’t choose the Spurs because of uncertainty over LMA. You should use your words next time and ask what I thought that meant instead of — to use your word — dismissively presuming you know what I meant.

You suggested that LMA was trade bait to make room for Paul — which also is pretty spectacular evidence of incompetence as the Spurs should have done dilligence on what sort of roster they’d need to entice Paul and learned he’d want LMA there. Compounding this issue is the fact that the Spurs seriously thought they had a chance at Paul (despite apparently not having done their homework) as evidenced by the whole Pau fiasco.

That has been the one and only point I made - the Spurs didn’t do their homework on Paul, which is pretty good evidence on incompetence on their part. Your presumption that I meant “Paul didn’t want LMA” — when I never said nor meant as much — is a pretty good indicator why your posts are fascinating but irrelevant.

John B
10-16-2017, 06:40 PM
I don't get it. Is this strategy that Spurs value LMA so much to build his stock for better trade value?

NASpurs
10-16-2017, 06:44 PM

Nathan89
10-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Contract year Lma ended in the preseason.:lmao

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 06:48 PM
They're pretty much forced to though. They're not getting a starting point guard with the $12.5 million or so they'll have under the cap (assuming Green opts out). So expect something like 3 years, $65 million unless Parker can't walk.
Not only Danny, but Rudy Gay is also a FA next season.

... Sometimes I think this is Danny's last season in the team with as many cheap guards as the team has... Others I just think Spurs will take care of the two of them, then they see what they can do about others with their potential to walk if someone falls in love with them, or of them breaking out with a great postseason showing being very real. All these others are aged 24-26, continuing the narrative when they walk in the offseason that the Spurs are an old team.

Nathan89
10-16-2017, 06:50 PM
This isn't a bad deal at all tbh. I've done my fair share of lma hating but he is a solid player. Also after Pau's deal this doesn't even register on the seismograph.

Chinook
10-16-2017, 06:53 PM
No, my point was that re-signing the guy who’s uncertain status 4 months ago was cited as being the reason Paul didn’t choose the Spurs is pretty spectacular evidence of incompetence. That’s why I quoted an article saying that Paul didn’t choose the Spurs because of uncertainty over LMA. You should use your words next time and ask what I thought that meant instead of — to use your word — dismissively presuming you know what I meant.

They could not have extended LMA four months ago, so re-signing him now is not relevant to not re-signing him in June. KD's uncertain status made Horford not commit to OKC, but obviously, if KD had been extended, it would not have been a sign of incompetence. Paul wanted LMA; the Spurs saw it as an either or and picked Paul. Paul went elsewhere; the Spurs stayed the course. Not much incompetence there. Plenty of questionable actions in other parts, but not there.

You suggested that LMA was trade bait to make room for Paul — which also is pretty spectacular evidence of incompetence as the Spurs should have done dilligence on what sort of roster they’d need to entice Paul and learned he’d want LMA there. Compounding this issue is the fact that the Spurs seriously thought they had a chance at Paul (despite apparently not having done their homework) as evidenced by the whole Pau fiasco.

The Spurs did nothing but encourage Pau to opt out. Other than that, they hedged their bets pretty well. If they had actually traded LMA only to find out that pushed Paul away, that would have been one thing. But instead they set themselves up for contingencies and were able to pivot when those didn't happen. Only issue is that they should have just let Paul opt in and work on dumping him. I question their motivations, but their planning wasn't bad.

That has been the one and only point I made - the Spurs didn’t do their homework on Paul, which is pretty good evidence on incompetence on their part. Your presumption that I meant “Paul didn’t want LMA” — when I never said nor meant as much — is a pretty good indicator why your posts are fascinating but irrelevant.

If you're going to stand up here and go, "I think the FO is incompetent because they didn't commit to keeping LMA sooner", I'm going to call you a liar. You very much don't think that, if your complaints in this thread and apparent soreness over Paul not being a Spur is any indication. Maybe by some miracle you didn't mean, "I think the FO is incompetent because they didn't get rid of LMA in time to sign CP3". Maybe. The greater point, though, is that you're assuming PATFO were willing to do whatever it took to get Paul but fucked it up rather than then knowing full well that Paul wanted LMA over the other options and just decided to disregard it. They could have "done their homework" while also deciding that Paul only made sense if they ran a certain type of roster. Whether they're right or not is something we may never know. But to be honest, CP3 had no place in this conversation any more than KD would.

vy65
10-16-2017, 07:01 PM
They could not have extended LMA four months ago, so re-signing him now is not relevant to not re-signing him in June. KD's uncertain status made Horford not commit to OKC, but obviously, if KD had been extended, it would not have been a sign of incompetence. Paul wanted LMA; the Spurs saw it as an either or and picked Paul. Paul went elsewhere; the Spurs stayed the course. Not much incompetence there. Plenty of questionable actions in other parts, but not there.

If you think being told “A” means “not A,” then we’re going to disagree on what the word incompetence means. And I’ll take the Pepsi challenge on my definition being the right one.

And regardless of whether the extension could have been given in July, assurances to Paul that LMA would be extended along with not actively shopping him around the draft would have been good. That they did the opposite — and assumed “A” meant “not A” — is incompetence.

The Spurs did nothing but encourage Pau to opt out. Other than that, they hedged their bets pretty well. If they had actually traded LMA only to find out that pushed Paul away, that would have been one thing. But instead they set themselves up for contingencies and were able to pivot when those didn't happen. Only issue is that they should have just let Paul opt in and work on dumping him. I question their motivations, but their planning wasn't bad.

If you're going to stand up here and go, "I think the FO is incompetent because they didn't commit to keeping LMA sooner", I'm going to call you a liar. You very much don't think that, if your complaints in this thread and apparent soreness over Paul not being a Spur is any indication. Maybe by some miracle you didn't mean, "I think the FO is incompetent because they didn't get rid of LMA in time to sign CP3". Maybe. The greater point, though, is that you're assuming PATFO were willing to do whatever it took to get Paul but fucked it up rather than then knowing full well that Paul wanted LMA over the other options and just decided to disregard it. They could have "done their homework" while also deciding that Paul only made sense if they ran a certain type of roster. Whether they're right or not is something we may never know. But to be honest, CP3 had no place in this conversation any more than KD would.

Again, none of this is responsive to the point I’m making — the Spurs were incompetent in pursuing Paul because they clearly failed to do their due dilligence, only to do a complete 180 and fall backwards into the path that could/would have led them to Paul. Their moves with respect to LMA are schizophrenic — I seriously don’t know why this is so hard for you to understand?

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 07:01 PM
I hate those retirement bonuses. When the Spurs are penny pinching young players and players at the end of the roster, that doesn't look good to me. Timmy was Timmy... none of these other bigs even compare.

Seventyniner
10-16-2017, 07:02 PM
I think PATFO underestimated Houston as a legit threat to lure him away..and once they jumped on board Spurs were fucked..As we all said Spurs needed to make moves in order to fit in Paul..

Houston really didn't and had a better immediate roster to sell..:plus Harden being a friend..So Paul pulled the trigger.

Spurs couldn't be as aggressive as Houston because they weren't gonna make major changes and risk it all for nothing..waaay different then the situation with Tiago/LMA

Everyone did because the Rockets got Paul before free agency even started. That means either the Clippers gave the Rockets permission to talk to Paul, or the Rockets engaged in some hardcore tampering. The Spurs might very well have been waiting for July 1 to make their pitch to Paul, and even then it was too late.

Chomag
10-16-2017, 07:09 PM
I'm officially done with believing in this FO! So take the only thing that might motivate LA to play well this year...so freaking stupid.

Chinook
10-16-2017, 07:11 PM
If you think being told “A” means “not A,” then we’re going to disagree on what the word incompetence means. And I’ll take the Pepsi challenge on my definition being the right one.

And regardless of whether the extension could have been given in July, assurances to Paul that LMA would be extended along with not actively shopping him around the draft would have been good. That they did the opposite — and assumed “A” meant “not A” — is incompetence.

The Spurs weren't really shopping LMA. They were shopping for a pick. It was probably to select one of the combo-forwards at the top of the draft, like Tatum or Jackson. Anyway, the Spurs shopped Parker only to extend him many years ago. It happens.

Again, none of this is responsive to the point I’m making — the Spurs were incompetent in pursuing Paul because they clearly failed to do their due dilligence, only to do a complete 180 and fall backwards into the path that could/would have led them to Paul. Their moves with respect to LMA are schizophrenic — I seriously don’t know why this is so hard for you to understand?

Yes, it is -- very directly. You keep assuming the Spurs were going to get rid of LMA because they didn't know Paul wanted to keep him. It seems very possible that the Spurs simply didn't care. They preferred Paul to LMA, but they weren't going to kowtow to Paul's roster demands. Once Paul backed off, they engaged the Cavs on Irving, whom they also preferred over LMA. Once that failed as well, they went with LMA long-term. It's like the Spurs failed to trade Hill for George, then failed to trade him for Valanciunas only to trade him for Kawhi. They had a set of priorities and contingencies.

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 07:13 PM
This isn't a bad deal at all tbh. I've done my fair share of lma hating but he is a solid player. Also after Pau's deal this doesn't even register on the seismograph.
Same for me. I have gripes with the FO, but this ain't one.
Also, they did try to do something last summer, it just didn't work like they thought. Now they are stuck with these guys though and LMA is the best of the guys they re-upped.

vy65
10-16-2017, 07:18 PM
The Spurs weren't really shopping LMA. They were shopping for a pick. It was probably to select one of the combo-forwards at the top of the draft, like Tatum or Jackson. Anyway, the Spurs shopped Parker only to extend him many years ago. It happens.

Yes, it is -- very directly. You keep assuming the Spurs were going to get rid of LMA because they didn't know Paul wanted to keep him. It seems very possible that the Spurs simply didn't care. They preferred Paul to LMA, but they weren't going to kowtow to Paul's roster demands. Once Paul backed off, they engaged the Cavs on Irving, whom they also preferred over LMA. Once that failed as well, they went with LMA long-term. It's like the Spurs failed to trade Hill for George, then failed to trade him for Valanciunas only to trade him for Kawhi. They had a set of priorities and contingencies.

The Spurs were actively soliciting Chris Paul — their #1 FA choice — only to do something that totally alienated him (shopping LMA) because they didn’t care that Chris Paul — their #1 FA choice — wanted to keep him? Or weren’t aware of his desire to keep LMA? Does that sound like intelligent moves on the FO’s part, yes or no?

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 07:18 PM
Contract year Lma ended in the preseason.:lmao
We have contract year Rudy Gay, Danny, Joffrey Lauvergne, Kyle, Bertans and Bryn Forbes to look forward to... Also when he gets back, contract year Tony.:wow He's been rehabbing like a madman and I wonder if the contract year has anything to do with it you know.

Mr. Body
10-16-2017, 07:23 PM
I'm fine with this. Not enamored with LMA's dour personality, but when he's on, he's a handful. The Spurs in this market aren't likely to fetch anything better and he's still one of the best posts in the game. Yeah, that says a lot about the game right now, but whatevs.

Chinook
10-16-2017, 07:31 PM
The Spurs were actively soliciting Chris Paul — their #1 FA choice — only to do something that totally alienated him (shopping LMA) because they didn’t care that Chris Paul — their #1 FA choice — wanted to keep him? Or weren’t aware of his desire to keep LMA? Does that sound like intelligent moves on the FO’s part, yes or no?

I imagine PATFO were planning on selling Paul on an idea similar to the one I laid out upthread (which would have had crazy good penetration potential may would have been shaky defensively). In fact, if you replace Gay and Pau with better bigs, it might have even been a good roster. They didn't get that chance, because Paul surprised everyone and forced a trade. I don't think the Spurs were ever in that market, at least not unless they could work out a three-team deal with LMA. But they could have decided against that, because Paul's next deal looks horrible.

Paul was the only guy they seemed to think was worth cap space. They tried to trade for Irving and get Iggy with the MLE. Rather than thinking the Spurs were desperate to get Paul, it makes more sense (given how the rest of the off-season played out), that Pop didn't think desperate changes were needed.

vy65
10-16-2017, 07:33 PM
I imagine PATFO were planning on selling Paul on an idea similar to the one I laid out upthread (which would have had crazy good penetration potential may would have been shaky defensively). In fact, if you replace Gay and Pau with better bigs, it might have even been a good roster. They didn't get that chance, because Paul surprised everyone and forced a trade. I don't think the Spurs were ever in that market, at least not unless they could work out a three-team deal with LMA. But they could have decided against that, because Paul's next deal looks horrible.

Paul was the only guy they seemed to think was worth cap space. They tried to trade for Irving and get Iggy with the MLE. Rather than thinking the Spurs were desperate to get Paul, it makes more sense (given how the rest of the off-season played out), that Pop didn't think desperate changes were needed.

Didn’t answer the question. Why is that?

vy65
10-16-2017, 07:34 PM

And if they were “never in the market,” does that make the Pau move better or worse?

Chinook
10-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Didn’t answer the question. Why is that?

And if they were “never in the market,” does that make the Pau move better or worse?

I would disagree with them, but there was intelligence there.

The Pau move is absolutely dreadful, but Gasol opted out before Paul made his move.

TheDoctor
10-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Ibaka, Millsap, Blake were all last offseason. The others were the season prior after the cap jump, some of whom got extensions that kicked in big this year.

Aldridge is worth that kind of money (low 20s). But if he's in the high 20s... And I'm not a PATFO apologist - thought the Gasol deal was wretched.

Let's hope that Aldridge will play with a chip on his shoulder this year towards the rest of the league for passing up on him during trade talks. If he can do that, then I will be satisfied.
More like a chip in his heart.

Chinook
10-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Apparently the deal was only for two years. They only gave him one additional season with $7 Million for the option of a third. Not bad at all.

Trainwreck2100
10-16-2017, 08:12 PM
:lol he gonna get fat again.

daslicer
10-16-2017, 08:29 PM
It's not a bad deal if he's motivated. Hopefully now with the touches he's getting that he will be motivated to play better.

sasaint
10-16-2017, 08:35 PM
For all we know Kawhi's concern for the roster was precisely that Aldridge wasn't secured to come back and he'd be stuck with Gasol as his best big tbh.... I have been critical of Lamarcus but one has to look around and wisen up.

Given all of the LMA bashing (especially my own) here on ST, that would be a great irony.

Your suggestion only highlights the fact that I have never heard a single word about Kawhi's relationship with LMA. If Kawhi values LMA that highly now, he never gave much indication of it before.

Last season, operating as a couple of isolationists, they hardly had any on-court relationship. If LMA has suddenly found the skill and willingness to pass the ball, and Pop has decided to moderate his isolationist policy, then perhaps they will not be so foreign to one another this season.

SAGirl
10-16-2017, 08:52 PM
Given all of the LMA bashing (especially my own) here on ST, that would be a great irony.

Your suggestion only highlights the fact that I have never heard a single word about Kawhi's relationship with LMA. If Kawhi values LMA that highly now, he never gave much indication of it before.

Last season, operating as a couple of isolationists, they hardly had any on-court relationship. If LMA has suddenly found the skill and willingness to pass the ball, and Pop has decided to moderate his isolationist policy, then perhaps they will not be so foreign to one another this season.

Kawhi and Lamarcus are both so reserved, it's possible there is hardly a relationship among them but work related. I doubt Kawhi meddles with the FO, but surely they asked him how he felt about Lamarcus being back. Considering the team stayed mostly the same, it made sense to bring him back. It's possible a better coached team with more chemistry and more shooters plays better than last season and they were already formidable with Kawhi in the game. We shall see.
:lobt:

cjw
10-16-2017, 08:53 PM
Apparently the deal was only for two years. They only gave him one additional season with $7 Million for the option of a third. Not bad at all.

Doesn't make sense with Gasol as he'll certainly be retired by then. But the partial guarantee in the last year gives the team some negotiating power to add an extra year. I wonder if there's offset language if cut and another team pays him.

Or can stretch with a $2.3mm hit each year for three if it's really bad.

Mugen
10-16-2017, 09:03 PM
This offseason:

Slight overpay for Patty, Pau deal was terrible, Kawhi possibly hurt for a while....well at least the season is starting....that's some good news at least.....

https://media.tenor.com/images/fbda12a779049afada90189d7a752908/tenor.gif