PDA

View Full Version : Perception of Pop equals Spurs

rjv
10-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Interesting behind the scenes view on Paul's free agency decision where he indicates that the biggest wild card in going to SA is how long Popovich is there. He seemed to think Pop is done in two years and from his perspective, the Spurs are who they are because they have Pop. Doubt he is the only one who feels that way.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21064275

james evans
10-19-2017, 12:17 PM
the first games of houston and SA is why I didn't want Chis Paul. Paul can't play without the ball and is 32. Murray can play without the ball and is 21. simple as that really

rjv
10-19-2017, 12:20 PM
the first games of houston and SA is why I didn't want Chis Paul. Paul can't play without the ball and is 32. Murray can play without the ball and is 21. simple as that really don't get me wrong. i was never a fan of CP3 to SA, but I thought it was interesting that we hear him say that his biggest concern was Pop (and not so much LMA as many had speculated).

Chinook
10-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Pop has two seasons after this one at least. That's forever for a guy Paul's age. And it's weird that he would have reservations about Pop when he picked D'Antoni to carry the day.

rjv
10-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Pop has two seasons after this one at least. That's forever for a guy Paul's age. And it's weird that he would have reservations about Pop when he picked D'Antoni to carry the day. that is what i thought. what would paul care? he's on the same timeline, more or less. instead, he picks the less accomplished coach who has a history of getting fired once his teams fail to meet expectations. seems to me, from having watched the behind-the -scenes clips that CP had a crush on Harden. in fact, many of these FAs act like high school kids trying to join the popular cliques. either that, or they get too enamored with the concept of the more stars the better. we'll just see if it's a good fit or not later on.

Chinook
10-19-2017, 12:37 PM
I think Paul is scared of the Spurs. He'd have to take a back seat to Kawhi and would be limited by the system. And if he got into a dispute with Pop or had beef without culture, no one would take his side.

coachmac87
10-19-2017, 12:40 PM
I've stated this numerous of times and even made a thread Tiltled "2020"..

My issue with what Paul said is he didn't meet with PATFO before jumping on board with Houston..maybe he's right in his assessment regarding Pop but you'd think he'd want to confirm it with the guy himself.

Houston got aggressive and was willing to risk it all for Paul and with Harden being a BFF they jumped on the opportunity and so did Paul. At the end of the day there were too many moving parts on Spurs end for them to have the best sell at the beginning of FA...even though if the dust settled the Spurs could've been the best landing spot.

That's why it's important the Spurs took care of LMA..because he's locked in and they can manage themselves better going forward pursuing other roster moves via FA etc,.

PS: Don't think for a second Houston told Paul if he picked them they'd be willing to pursue Melo and liked their chances...that for was another factor on why Paul jumped on board so quick without taking meetings etc.

coachmac87
10-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Call me crazy but I'm almost positive Houston was on the verge of trying to get the Bannana Boat team together. They extended Harden..got Paul on board and desperately tried to get Melo..who was adamant on only waiving his clause to go there..

Wade was verge of being bought out as we saw and is a FA after this season. Both him and LeBron are FA's after this season..yes they would sacrifice a lot but it's still a hell of a selling point to attemp to pull it off..even if it's just one year together.

I still wouldn't count it out tbh.

rjv
10-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Call me crazy but I'm almost positive Houston was on the verge of trying to get the Bannana Boat team together. They extended Harden..got Paul on board and desperately tried to get Melo..who was adamant on only waiving his clause to go there..

Wade was verge of being bought out as we saw and is a FA after this season. Both him and LeBron are FA's after this season..yes they would sacrifice a lot but it's still a hell of a selling point to attemp to pull it off..even if it's just one year together.

I still wouldn't count it out tbh. at the very least, i'm sure they are all watching each others' teams and the degree of success they have on those teams.

coachmac87
10-19-2017, 01:34 PM
at the very least, i'm sure they are all watching each others' teams and the degree of success they have on those teams.

The odd man out right now is Melo..he got traded to OKC and I dunno what his contract is or if he can get out of it next year....

Paul, Wade, LeBron can all be FA this offseason..which is crazy tbh.

If GSW wins another title and in cakewalk fashion IMO this would make it more likely something like the Bannana Boat team happens..granted I think they could only afford to do it for ONE year but the narrative and story line would be epic...

Houston is the franchise crazy enough to do what it takes to make it happen..

SnakeBoy
10-19-2017, 02:16 PM
I'm just glad Paul didn't come to the Spurs, the reason why doesn't matter to me.

UZER
10-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Interesting behind the scenes view on Paul's free agency decision where he indicates that the biggest wild card in going to SA is how long Popovich is there. He seemed to think Pop is done in two years and from his perspective, the Spurs are who they are because they have Pop. Doubt he is the only one who feels that way.

Excuse of the week.

Every damn free agent floats the Spurs name out there, but when it comes to putting pen to paper they make up whatever reason fits in that off-season to not come here.

We've heard them all over the years

MultiTroll
10-19-2017, 04:46 PM
from his perspective, the Spurs are who they are because they have Pop.
Timmy Duncan made the Spurs.
Not Pop. :rolleyes

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Head coaching-wise the Spurs will be fine if he hands the keys off to Becky. She'll have to prove herself to cement her reputation in the team's identity. Hopefully Pop won't leave the cupboard empty when he decides to call it quits...I can't see him doing that.

It's easy to understand the Spurs success being attributable to Pop considering this 21 year run has come under his watch.

tonight...you
10-19-2017, 06:55 PM
Timmy Duncan made the Spurs.
Not Pop. :rolleyes
Tim did such a great job of making the team a 60 plus winner last year, right?
No Tim again this year. 40 minus a few this year?

Fuck off.

MultiTroll
10-19-2017, 07:03 PM
Tim did such a great job of making the team a 60 plus winner last year, right?
No Tim again this year. 40 minus a few this year?

Fuck off.
Playoffs Numb Nutts.

tonight...you
10-19-2017, 07:05 PM
Playoffs Numb Nutts.
Right on baby. gripe and sour on shit til then.
Now, until then, fuck off.

MultiTroll
10-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Right on baby. gripe and sour on shit til then.
Now, until then, fuck off.
Insert some of this into your fellow Poppers asses and enjoy munching.
http://www.orville.com/sites/g/files/qyyrlu146/files/styles/product_pack_shot/public/images/products/original-canister-76568.png?itok=KgXdBi1U
:lol Saying Duncan didn't make the Spurs.

dabom
10-19-2017, 07:11 PM
Head coaching-wise the Spurs will be fine if he hands the keys off to Becky. She'll have to prove herself to cement her reputation in the team's identity. Hopefully Pop won't leave the cupboard empty when he decides to call it quits...I can't see him doing that.

It's easy to understand the Spurs success being attributable to Pop considering this 21 year run has come under his watch.

Becky ain't gonna be the head coach. :lol

tonight...you
10-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Insert some of this into your fellow Poppers asses and enjoy munching.
http://www.orville.com/sites/g/files/qyyrlu146/files/styles/product_pack_shot/public/images/products/original-canister-76568.png?itok=KgXdBi1U
:lol Saying Duncan didn't make the Spurs.
That was pointless.

DMC
10-19-2017, 07:47 PM

Yet none of these overrated ass clowns cared to play under Pop.

It's just another excuse to front run and play the larger market vs being committed to win. I don't blame him, but don't blame it on Pop's prognosis as a coach.

bklynspursfan
10-19-2017, 10:04 PM
Yet none of these overrated ass clowns cared to play under Pop.

It's just another excuse to front run and play the larger market vs being committed to win. I don't blame him, but don't blame it on Pop's prognosis as a coach.

Like if you value a coach that much, wouldn't you want to spend any time you can playing for them? Even if it's 2 years?

I imagine he'll still have some influence when he's not coaching anyway. Just silliness and excuses. Hope he enjoys the 2nd round continuing to be his ceiling

tmtcsc
10-19-2017, 10:43 PM
Head coaching-wise the Spurs will be fine if he hands the keys off to Becky.

Becky? Ninja, please.

https://i.imgur.com/yNen4e9.gif

You realize there is a pecking order right? Hiring Becky F'N Hammond would be the biggest F-U to coaches like Messina and Borrego who have actually put in their time and earned the right to be head coaches.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Becky? Ninja, please.

https://i.imgur.com/yNen4e9.gif

You realize there is a pecking order right? Hiring Becky F'N Hammond would be the biggest F-U to coaches like Messina and Borrego who have actually put in their time and earned the right to be head coaches.

You're right, Pop wouldn't do that to those guys. But I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a shot as a head coach somewhere before either Borrego or Messina get another head coaching look. Coaching pedigree doesn't seem to matter in the NBA when it comes to the head coach position, only what the resident superstar wants or who management thinks might attract talent & attention and sell tickets. Both of those guys would already have head coaching jobs if hiring was based on talent and pedigree alone.

MultiTroll
10-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Becky? Ninja, please.

2015 Steve Kerr
2016 Ty Lue

CIA Pop has one Championship in the past 10 years and that was mainly due to Duncan player/coaching the team after Pops massive fuck up 2013.

Pedigree does not matter in todays NBA.