PDA

View Full Version : Murray has been amazing, tbh... but...

ElNono
10-24-2017, 02:18 AM
Gotta hand it to dabom, underrated poster that called it a while ago, tbh... he saw Murray's potential before anyone else... one of the low-key, better posters lately...

The question now is what do we do with Tony coming back? Do you deflate DJ's momentum, or you ask Tony to take Patty's mins off the bench, and the ensuing ego bruise...

Does it even make sense pulling the corporate knowledge card with the kid playing at this level? Kid already sat down for a year, and you can tell he's been working hard on his game.

Also, will he and LMA be as effective once Kawhi returns and commands a lot of the ball? I really like what I see from this kid, and unlike other prospects (see: Fathead), I think he looks pretty ready for a bigger role.

Fireball
10-24-2017, 02:20 AM
low key :lol

ElNono
10-24-2017, 02:21 AM
low key :lol

:lol

outmap
10-24-2017, 03:17 AM
The Brodie Lite!

Spurtacular
10-24-2017, 03:19 AM
:lmao "called it"
:lmao dafag/apalifag throws darts at everything!

nyspurguy
10-24-2017, 04:05 AM
I was thinking when T.P. comes back and Murray is playing solid, slide the kid over to the 2guard...but hold up now Danny Green's playing awesome (he's actually putting it on the floor) guess it's not a bad situation to have.

vander
10-24-2017, 05:25 AM
doesn't mater who starts, TP's minutes will be limited, Murray will get the rest. just send Mills to DLeague to work on his game, needs to learn 1 or 2 PG abilities

TheGreatYacht
10-24-2017, 05:49 AM
Simple. You trade Mills when Parker comes back.

Might have to lose a pick or two though... smh PATFO

DocDoc
10-24-2017, 06:03 AM
Who is this "Tony" person you are referring to?

AFBlue
10-24-2017, 06:25 AM
It's a good thing the Spurs culture breeds professionals that only care about the W (outside of one guy). If Parker and Patty take a backseat in role get less minutes, I expect them to handle it with class.

Brazil
10-24-2017, 06:32 AM
Depth is a good problem to have

Mr. Body
10-24-2017, 06:56 AM
Have Parker and Mills fight for minutes like any team does with bench players.

Dingle Barry
10-24-2017, 07:05 AM
I'd start Murray if he keeps this up.

But the more salient question is what will Pop do? And the answer is start Parker.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-24-2017, 08:02 AM
There is no fucking way Parker is coming back soon at a reasonable level. He tore his fuckin quad tendon

MaNu4Tres
10-24-2017, 08:07 AM
Depth is a good problem to have

Not when expendable depth gets paid 50 million the next 4 years.

DAF86
10-24-2017, 08:09 AM

Just wait to see what Tony will get paid on his contract extension. :lol

tmtcsc
10-24-2017, 08:43 AM
Gotta hand it to dabom, underrated poster that called it a while ago, tbh... he saw Murray's potential before anyone else... one of the low-key, better posters lately...

The question now is what do we do with Tony coming back? Do you deflate DJ's momentum, or you ask Tony to take Patty's mins off the bench, and the ensuing ego bruise...

Does it even make sense pulling the corporate knowledge card with the kid playing at this level? Kid already sat down for a year, and you can tell he's been working hard on his game.

Also, will he and LMA be as effective once Kawhi returns and commands a lot of the ball? I really like what I see from this kid, and unlike other prospects (see: Fathead), I think he looks pretty ready for a bigger role.

I've been a harsh critic of Murray's and deservedly so. He was abysmal in the Summer and played as though he was entitled. He also spent more time in the gym taking selfies and talking about greatness rather than working on his still non-existent jump shot.

For three games, THREE GAMES, he has played very well and shut people like me up. --> A fact that makes me very happy. I will gladly eat crow and be quiet if he continues to improve, hit the boards and contribute.

However, its way too early to talk of him taking over this team. Let's talk about this after a couple of months and see what type of numbers he is putting up.

SAGirl
10-24-2017, 08:46 AM
They can't be overly generous. They will have to pay Kawhi, and also have some guys who will be FA. (Danny, Rudy Gay, Anderson, Joff, Bertans, Forbes). Not all of them will be back sure, but the Spurs also can't replace all of them with cheap prospects in order to pay Tony.

So, something's going to have to give next summer.

SpurOutofTownFan
10-24-2017, 08:50 AM

If Murray is the future of the franchise at that position then they should let him start and have TP take bench minutes while he fully recovers. Murray knows this is his moment if he's to play starting minutes going forward. I can see TP mentoring him.

eric365
10-24-2017, 08:54 AM
First see if tony is still a nba level player when he comes back.

If he still is and Murray keeps up then give the starting job to Murray with 20 mpg and split the the rest between tony and mills and maybe give them some minutes at the 2 off the bench

SAGirl
10-24-2017, 08:55 AM
I think PATFO has had a rough time mentally dealing with Tims retirement and Manu's potential retirement as a yearly thing at this point. Tim retired and they gave out the Pau deal, which they have doubled down on. And Tony getting injured with Manu potentially retiring over the summer, made them overvalue the importance of Mills as a glue guy and chemistry leader. PATFO couldn't face the prospect of Manu retiring, on top of Tony being injured and out for a good chunk of the season and then losing Mills. they just couldn't do it, that is why they resigned him...

TheChillFactor
10-24-2017, 08:55 AM
I've been a harsh critic of Murray's and deservedly so. He was abysmal in the Summer and played as though he was entitled. He also spent more time in the gym taking selfies and talking about greatness rather than working on his still non-existent jump shot.

For three games, THREE GAMES, he has played very well and shut people like me up. --> A fact that makes me very happy. I will gladly eat crow and be quiet if he continues to improve, hit the boards and contribute.

However, its way too early to talk of him taking over this team. Let's talk about this after a couple of months and see what type of numbers he is putting up.

he's a kid. they all take selfies. He's working, getting good marks from the vets on the team, etc.

We don't know how much he is working on his jumper. There's no use in being a harsh critic of someone if you don't know all the facts.

SAGirl
10-24-2017, 08:56 AM
First see if tony is still a nba level player when he comes back.

If he still is and Murray keeps up then give the starting job to Murray with 20 mpg and split the the rest between tony and mills and maybe give them some minutes at the 2 off the bench
good reasonable plan.

RD2191
10-24-2017, 09:19 AM
Deport OP

Truth4sale$
10-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Too early to say what happens when Parker comes back, Murray has to be consistent, can he truly continue to get 7 rebounds a game. His jumpshot sill needs work,but his efforrt and energy is very impressive. I would suspect the coaching staff takes their time with activating Parker. He believes can return in late Nove/early December. I would bet if Muray I still playing well, he will be pushed back to late December/early January.

sasaint
10-24-2017, 10:03 AM

I have been thinking (hoping?) - especially at his age coming off a serious injury that Tony was ON his last contract. You guys who talk about ANY extension scare me. If Murray continues to play at a high level, with the plethora of other "smalls" on this team, I gag at the idea of extending Tony - especially at anything over a minimum deal.

SAGirl
10-24-2017, 10:34 AM
I have been thinking (hoping?) - especially at his age coming off a serious injury that Tony was ON his last contract. You guys who talk about ANY extension scare me. If Murray continues to play at a high level, with the plethora of other "smalls" on this team, I gag at the idea of extending Tony - especially at anything over a minimum deal.
Tony wants to keep playing so it's a puzzle.

Until we see the state of his game coming from that injury, this is all speculation. I could see a future where Mills is traded though. He also can't rest easy on that contract. He got paid and if he isn't living up to that contract he isn't safe either.

baseline bum
10-24-2017, 10:37 AM
If this is truly the player Murray is, then you gotta trade Parker or Mills by the deadline. If Murray can consistently be the player he has been these first three games there is no way you can take his starting job away.

tmtcsc
10-24-2017, 10:40 AM
If this is truly the player Murray is, then you gotta trade Parker or Mills by the deadline. If Murray can consistently be the player he has been these first three games there is no way you can take his starting job away.

Huh? IF Murray continues to play well, then you let Mills do what he's best at - shooting. He's not a PG and has been playing out of position for a while now.

Prose
10-24-2017, 10:43 AM
I was at the game and I looked up and the dude was like 4 assist away from a triple doub. He had 15 rebounds! Amazing first gaurd to do that since the legendary Manu ginobili

rjv
10-24-2017, 10:48 AM
but murray is a bust, but murray only talks the talk, but murray had an awful summer league, but murray pouts, but murray got lucky in the playoffs. and this doesn't mean that murray has passed all tests with flying colors but he is passing the eye test. mainly because he puts in tremendous effort on the defensive end and lets his offense come through that. he reminds me of a kid that is growing too tall too quickly and is just clumsy at first. it seems as if murray still hasn't completely meshed his body with his mind just yet and he looks awkward sometimes as a result. but as he continues to figure it out and gets more comfortable with his shot, this kid will get to the next level. he has all the physical attributes.

baseline bum
10-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Huh? IF Murray continues to play well, then you let Mills do what he's best at - shooting. He's not a PG and has been playing out of position for a while now.

Mills isn't getting 30 minutes a night at the two, and if he isn't playing 30 minutes a night that contract is an albatross. Move Mills for a big to eat some minutes up if Murray consistently plays like this, because you're going to be playing Murray and Green 30 minutes a night then, Parker 15 minutes, and Manu 15 minutes, leaving a whole six minutes a game for Mills. Even playing Green a few minutes at the three while Kawhi is on the bench only gets to 15 minutes a night at best.

Brazil
10-24-2017, 11:08 AM

you work with what you have, no point crying about the 50 M it has already been done... now we have Tony close to come back, Murray playing solid ball, Manu is looking good, Gay has been great and we still have Mills who is having a rough start but we know he can improve.. that's solid depth

duncan2k5
10-24-2017, 11:10 AM

i deserve some credit too, tbh...i was one of the earliest ones calling it on Murray, and took a LOT of flak for it too

duncan2k5
10-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Murray needs to start for the sake of the defense...especially if he keeps up his leadership and rebounding...his offense will work itself out

rjv
10-24-2017, 11:17 AM
bertans is going to be the odd man out when the rotation gets TP and leonard back. maybe mills will benefit from playing with murray in the backcourt if that becomes the backcourt for the 2nd unit. and murray may be on the brink of breaking into the HEB rotation next year.

TheDoctor
10-24-2017, 11:20 AM
First see if tony is still a nba level player when he comes back...

One-legged Tony is double the player Fatty is.

TheDoctor
10-24-2017, 11:26 AM
i deserve some credit too, tbh...i was one of the earliest ones calling it on Murray, and took a LOT of flak for it too

And you're still here. You're either a champion or suffering from some mad battered person syndrome tbh.

Brazil
10-24-2017, 11:28 AM

:lmao

dabom
10-24-2017, 11:31 AM
:lmao

dabom
10-24-2017, 11:46 AM

Thanks elnono. Good to see some recognition. :tu

watch out for the haters. :lol

itzsoweezee
10-24-2017, 12:31 PM
I was full in on Murray being the Spurs' permanent starting point guard this year and didn't go chicken little when he had an underwhelming summer league stint. Anyway ...

I'm not sure what Tony has to offer at this point. This team needs to focus on where it has an advantage: defense. Parker is obviously not a better defender than Murray.

His offensive contributions are also questionable given his lack of three point shooting. I could see him playing with Mills off the bench, but I really don't see the point.

This team needs to play really big. I'd give up some size for shooting occasionally, but that's Patty's time, not Parker's.

coachmac87
10-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Lmao at people patting themselves on the back after 3 games...

"Player Fans" are the worst..we should all want what's best for Spurs and not individuals...

But hey if SpursTalk approves you're coming up in life...

Splits
10-24-2017, 03:24 PM

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--v26aue76--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/prgsogox8avymwyfmkjm.gif

DJR210
10-24-2017, 03:26 PM
With having enough issue trying to squeeze a TP back in, we can pretty much forget about seeing Derrick White this year especially with Paul already ahead of him..

kuato
10-24-2017, 03:40 PM
Murray is ok, Fathead needs to go, Forbes is not convincing me, Derrick White and Brandon Paul? not enough playtime to decide, Pau Gasol is too old, Manu is too old but he can still defend.

cd021
10-24-2017, 05:11 PM
He was a bit sloppy ,especially early on but really impressed.s. :
I love when non bigs board, he's averaging almost 10 per game in 206 minute :wow

dbreiden83080
10-24-2017, 07:58 PM

At this level he will keep the starting job for sure. But I don’t see Tony getting traded either. It’s not like he has any real value at this point anyway. He will come off the bench and see some minutes but that’s about it.

Ice009
10-24-2017, 10:17 PM
Lmao at people patting themselves on the back after 3 games...

"Player Fans" are the worst..we should all want what's best for Spurs and not individuals...

But hey if SpursTalk approves you're coming up in life...

Man, I've never seen so many posters come out of the woodwork and give themselves props. Do people really need to give themselves a pat on the back to feel good?

I don't give a shit if I'm wrong (when being negative towards a player or the FO), because most of the time being wrong is good/great for the team, and I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Anyway, since people are giving themselves props, I was one of the main antagonists in regard to re-signing Mills and Gasol for big money contracts (I had cooled down by the time Gasol got his contract, but if he got it early in FA, there would have been a lot more posts from me about how bad it is/was). I also wanted Simmons back if the contract was right, and the money/contract Orlando gave him was more than OK. Not sure if the Spurs could have gotten him for that amount of money due to not being able to offer the same amount of playing time the Magic can, but either way, they should have went with Simmons over either/or both of those guys.

r0drig0lac
10-25-2017, 05:09 AM
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--v26aue76--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/prgsogox8avymwyfmkjm.gif

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

gambit1990
10-25-2017, 11:41 PM
The question now is what do we do with Tony coming back?
trade him & pau.

Cry Havoc
10-26-2017, 02:34 AM
trade him & pau.

Great solution.

Murray with a beast 0/3/3 line tonight.

DAF86
10-26-2017, 02:43 AM
Great solution.

That looks like a lot of Parker's lines last season, minus the defense, tbh.

TheGreatYacht
10-26-2017, 05:30 AM
You're confusing him with your boy, the balding scrub with a vacuum nose. No one does donuts like him. Playoffs proved that

tholdren
10-26-2017, 06:09 AM
Great solution.

Dunkan2k5 and daboom will tell you it was the greatest 033 night of all time. Quick pat them on backs

SASdynasty!
10-26-2017, 06:24 AM
Great solution.

Only 10/7/7 away from a triple double, tbh

Cry Havoc
10-26-2017, 04:08 PM

List the games Parker played in and scored 0 points in last season. I'll wait.

DAF86
10-26-2017, 04:14 PM
List the games Parker played in and scored 0 points in last season. I'll wait.

Last season he had 2. Against New York and against the Warriors.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parketo01/gamelog/2017/

He also has a bunch of 1, 2 and 3 pts games.

Do you even watch Spurs games?

DAF86
10-26-2017, 04:24 PM
I'll wait the response.

raybies
10-26-2017, 04:26 PM
:lol Yeah his playoff performance changed the perception of him a lot last year. But his play during the season was putrid.

Cry Havoc
10-26-2017, 04:42 PM
Last season he had 2. Against New York and against the Warriors.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parketo01/gamelog/2017/

He also has a bunch of 1, 2 and 3 pts games.

Do you even watch Spurs games?

:lol that's the best you can fucking so? Good lord.

Cry Havoc
10-26-2017, 04:42 PM
I'll wait the response.

0/3/3. AMAZING.

:lol Yeah his playoff performance changed the perception of him a lot last year. But his play during the season was putrid.

I'll take better playoffs every single time. That's just me though. I don't need to shit on my favorite team's players to feel good about my Fandom.

tonight...you
10-26-2017, 04:54 PM
0/3/3. AMAZING.

I'll take better playoffs every single time. That's just me though. I don't need to shit on my favorite team's players to feel good about my Fandom.
But you just did... unless it was not about your fandom.

Cry Havoc
10-26-2017, 05:04 PM
But you just did... unless it was not about your fandom.

Except I fucking love Murray and hope the spurs wrap him up for 10 years. I don't need to denigrate him as a player to criticize a poor game even by his 2nd year standards. My identity is not wrapped up in hating a player to be cool on fucking Spurstalk. :lol

tonight...you
10-26-2017, 05:08 PM
Except I fucking love Murray and hope the spurs wrap him up for 10 years. I don't need to denigrate him as a player to criticize a poor game even by his 2nd year standards. My identity is not wrapped up in hating a player to be cool on fucking Spurstalk. :lol
That's my bruddah...
Too bad you felt the need to bring up his numbers and make a remark, but overall: Cool bro!

Cry Havoc
10-26-2017, 05:19 PM
That's my bruddah...
Too bad you felt the need to bring up his numbers and make a remark, but overall: Cool bro!

It was in response to someone stating that the Spurs should trade Parker, for perspective.

Murray is the future. But there's no way to know he's the present especially in the playoffs.

tonight...you
10-26-2017, 05:22 PM
It was in response to someone stating that the Spurs should trade Parker, for perspective.

Murray is the future. But there's no way to know he's the present especially in the playoffs.
Ah. Gotcha. Although I think we might be seeing a lot of Murray in the PO's this year.

dabom
10-26-2017, 05:22 PM

So he proves you wrong and you laugh at him? Wtf? :lol

dabom
10-26-2017, 05:23 PM
0/3/3. AMAZING.

Porker can't even make it past the first rounds without getting injured. :lol

That's why he sucks when we play the good teams. The grizz and a couple games vs the rockets doesn't cut it. :lmao

dabom
10-26-2017, 05:25 PM
Parker is a POS player. Has been for a few years now. Even worse now that he had major injury. :lol

Not even better than Dejounte right now or for the foreseeable future. :lol

cd98
10-26-2017, 05:33 PM
I hope Murray keeps it up, but some players go off early, and then teams start game planning for them, and then come up with game plans to minimize their strengths and accentuate their weaknesses. Parker as a rookie was killing teams by driving and using his speed and above average finishing skills. So teams turned him into a jump shooter. And he was completely marginalized for a few years until he learned how to make mid range jumpers. I think Murray has the length to keep his consistent rebounding numbers, but he has a horrible jump shot at this point, and if teams don't let him get to the rim, his ability to shoot midrange is a serious question. And while he has shown some nice finishing ability, he is far from an elite finisher at the rim. Again, we'll see how he is by midseason. Four games is not near enough to know if he is or should be the starter when Parker gets back.

And that said, who knows if Parker can still play after the last injury. He was already getting slower and that injury couldn't help. With players his size, losing just a little bit of speed can make a huge difference.

tonight...you
10-26-2017, 06:25 PM
Parker is a POS player. Has been for a few years now. Even worse now that he had major injury. :lol

Not even better than Dejounte right now or for the foreseeable future. :lol
My boi like a rabid Rott...
Dude bites, no bark.

dabom
10-26-2017, 07:00 PM
My boi like a rabid Rott...
Dude bites, no bark.

There's a saying, I don't know the actual wording but something like this..

"to not say anything is basically condoning/agreeing with an act/idea"

You have to pick the buds before they grow. :lol

tonight...you
10-26-2017, 07:02 PM
There's a saying, I don't know the actual wording but something like this..

"to not say anything is basically condoning/agreeing with an act/idea"

You have to pick the buds before they grow. :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1EaUCZCW80&index=15&list=RDo5GKbpi7UbY

picnroll
10-26-2017, 07:18 PM
Murray has some nice tools but simple fact is if he doesn’t develop a midrange and outside shot, particularly off the dribble, it’s going to be easy to gameplay against him. Never an all star without a shot. 15 foot floaters won’t cut it. Way unreliable.

sananspursfan21
10-26-2017, 07:22 PM
Murray has some nice tools but simple fact is if he doesn’t develop a midrange and outside shot, particularly off the dribble, it’s going to be easy to gameplay against him. Never an all star without a shot. 15 foot floaters won’t cut it. Way unreliable.

This. The Heat played great defense last night but if his shooting were better, he'd of scored.

DAF86
10-26-2017, 08:49 PM

It's OK son. You don't have to answer just because. You can take the L and just walk away, tbh.

DAF86
10-26-2017, 08:52 PM
it was in response to someone stating that the Spurs should trade Parker, for perspective.

Who?

DAF86
10-26-2017, 08:53 PM

0/3/3. AMAZING

In the same fucking post. :lol

RD2191
10-26-2017, 09:02 PM
In the same fucking post. :lol

tholdren
10-26-2017, 10:13 PM

Killer emoji