View Full Version : NBA: NBA attendance so far

InRareForm
10-24-2017, 02:51 PM

how is your team doing?

10-24-2017, 02:54 PM
:lol today's NBA

JamStone
10-24-2017, 03:11 PM
It's sad because the City of Detroit should be celebrating the team's return to downtown from the snobbish suburban confines of Auburn Hills. Couple things stand out. The Pistons are second class citizens, tenants not owners, to the new arena. It's a hockey arena for the Red Wings and was built as such. The Pistons sharing the new place felt like it was last minute when the building was like 90% finished. They added some amenities to accommodate the Pistons but it's first and foremost a hockey arena. Additionally, the team sucks and really has no likable players right now. The only guy I even remotely like on or off the court is Tobias Harris. I may end up liking Avery Bradley but not yet. He's been a Piston for all of four games so far. A new arena doesn't change that.

In partial defense to the lack of fans, the new arena was built as a full fledge entertainment venue with a crapload of stuff outside the actual court/rink. And it's being said around here in Detroit that plenty of fans that are attending the games are spending a lot of time checking out all the bars and restaurants and other stuff and walking around exploring the entire place while the games are being played. I mean still not coming close to selling out, but some of those empty seats are precisely because it's a new arena.

Mr. Body
10-24-2017, 09:38 PM
Boring team no one wants to watch. No big surprise.

Fabbs
10-24-2017, 09:49 PM
The only guy I even remotely like on or off the court is Tobias Harris.
Has Van Grunty commented on why he is still sitting Boban?
Fan favorite with the Spurs.
I would assume the Piston fans like him too.
Hell if even for getting a rise out of the crowd you'd think ownership would pressure Van Grunty to give him some run.
4 minutes total in 4 games :lmao

lefty
10-24-2017, 10:23 PM
:lol today's NBA

Mitch
10-24-2017, 10:28 PM
There's low starpower in the NBA right now, players might be good but not interesting.

Mark Celibate
10-24-2017, 10:56 PM
I figured the attendance would plummet as casual fans start to realize that their team won't matter for a few years if they're not Cleveland or Golden State.

DarrinS
10-24-2017, 11:02 PM
Downtown Detroit

That’s all you need to know.

lefty
10-24-2017, 11:15 PM
There's low starpower in the NBA right now, players might be good but not interesting.

Spurtacular
10-25-2017, 07:43 AM
Market forces at work.

Killakobe81
10-25-2017, 08:59 AM
Low, lack of starpower is why we should root for the last two rookie classes
Simmons, Tatum, fultz etc need to "hit" Chris paul melo wade etc aging quick.
Giannis kat unibrow are under 25 and potential superstars but only giannis has a big personality.
league has talent but they are low key like kawhi or kat playing in small markets. .
nba wanted this ...

hater
10-25-2017, 09:41 AM
Looks like the ATT center in San Antonio early in the 3rd quarter tbqh

10-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Meanwhile, in :wow yesterday's NBA :wow...

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/an-overall-shot-of-hubert-h-humphrey-metrodome-during-the-chicago-picture-id585827668

hater
10-25-2017, 11:05 AM
^ to be fair that was before the 2008 economic meltdown

Clipper Nation
10-25-2017, 11:47 AM

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/an-overall-shot-of-hubert-h-humphrey-metrodome-during-the-chicago-picture-id585827668
Also in :lol yesterday's NBA:

https://i.imgur.com/tZmvIC0.jpg

Dex
10-25-2017, 11:53 AM

There is starpower in the NBA...it's just all with the Warriors, Thunder, or Cavaliers.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-25-2017, 02:33 PM
Most of those seats are probably sold, but the corporations that own them can't give away the seats to these early season games. Probably lots of real Pistons' fans that would love to fill those seats.

Those corporate seats should have to be confirmed for attendance or they go back into the available ticket pool 48 hours before game time.

Chillen
10-25-2017, 03:37 PM
When you have the same teams play in the NBA Finals for 3 straight seasons people are going to lose interest so this is no surprise. The only markets that benefit are San Francisco and Cleveland. If there is another Warriors/Cavs NBA Finals I would expect ticket sales to go down even more. People want to see something competitive not go to a game and see a blowout or know only 2 teams have a shot at the NBA title, so naturally interest in the sport will go down.

midnightpulp
10-25-2017, 03:47 PM
The product is crap. Not surprised.

DeadlyDynasty
10-25-2017, 04:35 PM
The product is crap. Not surprised.
When you market it to the lowest common denominator you end up with a product of the same.

StrengthAndHonor
10-25-2017, 04:39 PM
The only guy I even remotely like on or off the court is Tobias Harris. I may end up liking Avery Bradley but not yet. .
Therein lies the problem. Your best draw for fans are journeymen types with no star appeal. IIRC, the Pistons offered free tickets and still had 9,000 seats available by tip-off. That’s embarrassing :lol Customers are not seeing the value of season tickets anymore.

10-25-2017, 05:08 PM

they needed american football stadiums in :wow yesterday's NBA :wow

https://i.imgur.com/XdKN6uc.jpg

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

Clipper Nation
10-25-2017, 05:28 PM
:lol Yesterday's NBA

https://i.imgur.com/d7VNHzQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DQ63VZP.jpg

lefty
10-25-2017, 05:38 PM
:wow Michael Adams would average 50 ppg in today's NBA

midnightpulp
10-25-2017, 06:12 PM
When you market it to the lowest common denominator you end up with a product of the same.

Yeah, the whole marketing strategy around the NBA currently is to push silly storylines, "personalities," and twitter beefs over the sport itself. Been that way since Jordan, I suppose. And as I've said before, the game is broken. 3 pointers are too easy relative to their value.

Some other irritating things:

- Preferential treatment for stars

- Inconsistency in how the game is called in the 1st quarter vs. the 4th quarter

- Terrible end game (i.e. intentional fouling. Though, I don't see how this can be fixed)

- Getting to inbound the ball from the front court after calling a T.O.

Never really thought about how stupid that rule is, but in a game where every half-second can be crucial, arbitrarily awarding a team a second's worth of distance when they haven't earned it is fuckin' dumb. It's totally contrived to manufacture last second shot attempts. It would be like if you gave a team an extra 20 yards in the NFL for calling a time out just so you can create a few more last second "dramatic" Hail marys.

spursistan
10-26-2017, 08:14 PM

Pistons first game in their new arena in downtonw Detroit :lol

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--rwxq5pZk--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/gu7ttgnnhi57pj5zxsbk.png

Today's NBA ,tbh :lol

InRareForm
10-26-2017, 08:29 PM
:lol

midnightpulp
10-26-2017, 08:40 PM
The Nets shot 46 threes last night :lmao

Xevious
10-30-2017, 05:14 PM
I'm surprised Detroit can even support a professional team anymore.

lefty
10-30-2017, 06:29 PM

Pistons first game in their new arena in downtonw Detroit :lol

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--rwxq5pZk--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/gu7ttgnnhi57pj5zxsbk.png
They have a new arena?

:lol I thought it was the Palace tbh
Today's NBA ,tbh :lol

The Nets shot 46 threes last night :lmao

:lmao today's NBA

10-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Seriously son, it's reaching such low levels that it's getting harder and harder for me to laugh at it tbh. It's turning into :depressed today's NBA:depressed

midnightpulp
10-30-2017, 07:19 PM

You didn't see the Rockers shoots 56 threes the other night :lol

JamStone
10-31-2017, 08:14 AM
I'm surprised Detroit can even support a professional team anymore.

I wonder why you would think that. Detroit is one of the few major cities in the country that has consistently supported four major professional sports teams for like forever. When those teams win, the stadiums are full. When they're even moderately good, fans support with attendance, ratings, and merch sales. When they suck, fans don't. Clear and simple correlation.

For all the bashing Detroit gets, the national image is severely overstated and overplayed. The city itself is still not in great economic shape. But, one, it has gotten better in recent years. And, two, there are a lot of extremely affluent nearby suburban areas that allows the city to support major sports teams. If the city couldn't support the sports teams, they wouldn't have them, much less have four of them.

Still a sorry state of affairs as it relates to attendance in a brand new building. It has more to do with the product on the court than the city of Detroit. If the Pistons start winning again, we'll see the attendance go up.

DAF86
10-31-2017, 08:17 AM
I wonder why you would think that. Detroit is one of the few major cities in the country that has consistently supported four major professional sports teams for like forever. When those teams win, the stadiums are full. When they're even moderately good, fans support with attendance, ratings, and merch sales. When they suck, fans don't. Clear and simple correlation.

For all the bashing Detroit gets, the national image is severely overstated and overplayed. The city itself is still not in great economic shape. But, one, it has gotten better in recent years. And, two, there are a lot of extremely affluent nearby suburban areas that allows the city to support major sports teams. If the city couldn't support the sports teams, they wouldn't have them, much less have four of them.

Still a sorry state of affairs as it relates to attendance in a brand new building. It has more to do with the product on the court than the city of Detroit. If the Pistons start winning again, we'll see the attendance go up.

You beat the last two finalsts son.

JamStone
10-31-2017, 08:39 AM
You beat the last two finalsts son.

Pistons haven't played Cleveland this season. If they continue to play well, more fans will show up.

The Pistons made the playoffs once over the past eight seasons. Aside from that one time a couple years ago where they got swept in the first round, the last time they were really relevant and legitimately contending was 2007-08. They led the league in attendance that season. The economy wasn't better back then.

The team has sucked for nearly a decade. More than anything, that's the reason for the empty seats.