PDA

View Full Version : Game grades - Raptors @ Spurs, October 23rd, 2017

Cry Havoc
10-24-2017, 06:39 PM
(2-0) Raptors at (2-0) Spurs – October 23rd, 2017

Venue: AT&T Center, San Antonio

The Story:

Early season clashes between teams are usually part of a feeling out process for the NBA season. Healthy teams are usually trying to integrate new players, finding where the pieces fit as new players and lineups are integrated.

Not so for the Raptors and Spurs, who arrived in the regular season with injured starters and 2-0 records. The Raptors were without Jonas Valanciunas, (ankle), and the Spurs without Kawhi Leonard (knee) and Tony Parker (AARP benefits expired).

In a match that was close throughout featuring a pretty healthy level of slop, the Spurs finally kicked it into gear early in the 4th quarter and completely dismantled the Raptors on both sides of the ball. Despite numerous defensive lapses that allowed the Raptors to get layups, this was the most impressive Spurs regular season win in some time, featuring standout performances from multiple players.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/story_main_photo/public/screen_shot_2017-05-30_at_11.34.40_am.png?itok=ssSw8y8w

Game Ball: Dejounte Murray – A+

If his late-season performances weren’t enough, this game serves to put the rest of the league on notice: The kid has arrived. Murray was a complete player on the court tonight, in fact, if there’s one thing I found that shows room for improvement, it’s that he wasn’t even greedier. Murray scored 16 points on 12 shots, showcasing some truly impressive ball-handling. Even greater is his penchant for finding the rim while moving in traffic, which is a hugely underrated quality amongst guards. Murray flashed excellent control, and led the team not only in assists with 6, but had a game-high 15(!!!) rebounds. And that might not even have been the most remarkable aspect of his game Monday night. On a typical day when the Raps are struggling mightily on offense, they would turn to their vaunted point guard, Kyle Lowry, to shoulder some of the load. But Murray held him to 8 points on 3-11 shooting. The Spurs podcast Spurs82+ called Murray “The Oracle”, because when you look at him, you see the future.

Danny Green – A+

On paper, a 6-15 performance from the Spurs 3 & D guy might not be worthy of a top grade. However, Danny brought it tonight. This was the marquee defensive performance in recent memory for Green. On one possession, he got two blocks in a row, first on DeMar DeRozan, and then on Raptors 7’er Jakob Poeltl. He arguably added a 3rd block a possession later that wasn’t credited to him in the stats column, so his 5 block performance might be selling him a bit short. Danny was a terror this night, getting his hands on the ball no matter where the Raptors tried to put it, and breaking up at least two fast-breaks, which almost seem to be automatic now for the North Carolina standout. Even more encouraging long-term: Danny’s ball handling appears to have shot through the roof this season. Last season he appeared to be somewhere between Brian Scalabrine and Matt Bonner with his handles – the year is early, but is Danny a competent, nay, a GOOD ball-handler now? We can only hope, as him adding that wrinkle to his game would cause defenses to truly have to make some tough choices in guarding his deadly long range shooting.

Rudy Gay – A

Let’s make this simple: Rudy needs the ball more. Every single time he touched the rock tonight, he was aggressive, smart, and made good plays happen. Whether it was taking an open jumper with no hesitation or backing a smaller guard down, Rudy appeared in control, and never seemed to force the issue. What’s encouraging is that he’s also playing some of the best defense I’ve ever seen from him. It’s clear that he’s motivated, and already feeling comfortable in the Spurs system. He could give the Spurs that one extra offensive option they need when the playoffs come round.

Manu Ginobili – A

Lackluster 2nd half aside, the only reason the Spurs were in the game in the first half was because Manu completely terrified the Raptors every time he touched the ball. Honestly, I will take this Manu 10/10 times these days. He was aggressive, he made some absurd moves to the rim, and overall just performed for about 15 minutes like a 28 year old, with a full head of hair. He was hands down the best player on the court for the Spurs in the first half. What a pleasure to see this 40 year old school the young guys.

Kyle Anderson – B+

Very solid outing from Slo-mo. While he doesn’t always show up in the stat column, Anderson was very good on defense tonight and gives the Spurs a super important option at PF. That’s all the more valuable given that Davis Bertans has evidently started the season in Popovich’s doghouse. Kyle will likely never score 30 points in a game, but he plays smart basketball and his positional awareness on defense is improving noticeably from last year. He also shot more willingly Monday night, which was great to see, going 4-9 from the field and making some buckets when the Spurs really needed them.

LaMarcus Aldridge – B+

I’ll be honest, LMA’s play this game probably deserves a B or a B-. But the tenacity and heart he showed in the 4th quarter gets him a bonus. After going through the motions for the first 3 quarters, LMA stepped up his play, and then he and Ibaka collided under the hoop. LaMarcus stood his ground, and when Ibaka approached him, the Dallas native let him know he ain’t about dis life and gave him a rough shove. Double techs were awarded, and LaMarcus demanded the ball on the next play and promptly fouled Ibaka out of the game, further deflating any ideas the Raps had about running back the score. The highlight of the early Spurs season has to be the immediate aftermath of the Aldridge shove, as he walks back to the bench and is intercepted by Pop. Pop, far from wringing him out about the confrontation, gives LMA a sly smile before being cut off by the 7 foot wingspan of DeJounte Murray, who took it upon himself to settle down LA after the heated play. There are simply too many positive takeaways from this to list, but it’s hard not to be ecstatic seeing the fire and leadership intertwining on the Spurs roster, especially with their MVP still recovering from injury.

Joffrey Lauvergne – B

I’d really like to give King Joff a higher grade here. He certainly produced more in this game than I ever thought possible of him. He looked VERY aggressive with the ball, maybe overly so, but it was great to see him making quick decisions as soon as he caught it. He even had some nice scores and grabbed 7 boards in 16 minutes of play. But on the defensive side he needs a LOT of work, because as of now he does not appear to be a reliable inside presence on D for the Spurs. He was a team worst -15 in Monday night’s game, as the Raps went into rim-attack mode whenever he set foot on the floor. Still, the fact that he looks like he might be an NBA player is a massive uptick in his value over his last two performances. He’s a mobile big and can RUN the floor, he just needs a ton of polish and several months of coaching him into his role to be a factor night-in and night-out.

Patty Mills – D

Worry time? Maybe not quite yet. The season is still very young, but Patty is definitely not in sync with this offense. He normally thrives as the sparkplug off the bench, but right now looks more ready for the G-League than the 6th man the Spurs have come to rely on. 0-3 from downtown including one forced shot is just not going to get it done. With Murray rising to the moment, Patty’s playing time in the Spurs rotation may be drastically shortened in the future as Tony returns from injury.

Pau Gasol – D

Oof. Gasol looks rough with the ball in his hands. He shot 0-6 from the game and was clearly out of sorts with the pressure the Raptors were putting on him. However, he saved himself from a failing grade by posting 7 rebounds and 3 blocks. Still, that is precious little upside to a guy the Spurs just dropped a mint’s worth of cash on. At this point one has to hope that he’s just pacing himself a la Robert Horry for the post-season.

Forbes and Paul

Hard to say much in a combined 11 minutes of play from the two youngsters. Paul found a couple of dimes in 7 minutes, including a fantastic alley-oop that was bang on target to Aldridge in the 2nd quarter. Forbes looks to be relegated to mop up minutes – if he can’t find time on the court with Kawhi out, it’s doubtful he’ll get minutes when the All-NBA Forward returns.

Pop – A

I got the sense that Pop was just letting the game naturally develop without trying to change up too much. But giving 28 minutes to Murray and letting Danny play 34 is a very encouraging sign on a night that the Tarheel was such a vicious defender. Pop earns an A if nothing else for his handling of the Aldridge-Ibaka confrontation and his seriously nasty defensive lineup at the end of the game featuring LMA, Murray, and Anderson – that sparked a huge Spurs run that took them from down 81-75 to up 96-87.

News & Notes from around the league:

Eric Bledsoe has played his final game for the Suns. This coming directly from the Suns GM after Bledsoe told his team that he was at a “hair salon” instead of a team function. Where he goes is a mystery, and certainly a gamble given his past relationships with teams, but plenty of squads need a capable guard, and the 27 year old is certainly that, when motivated.

If you aren’t watching the Greek Freak, you are missing out on some truly incredible basketball. Giannis is averaging 37 points per game in the first 4 games of the season, and has already demonstrated better passing, ball-handling, and is a terror in both the steals and blocks department.

The 76ers “process” appears to be bearing fruit behind the steady hand of Ben Simmons, who posted the league’s first triple double of the season by a rookie. Philly is expected to contend for a playoff spot this season for the first time since 2012.

tonight...you
10-24-2017, 06:41 PM
Very nice. Good job bruddah.

Cry Havoc
10-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Very nice. Good job bruddah.

:lol you read fast, dude.

tonight...you
10-24-2017, 06:45 PM
:lol you read fast, dude.
That's what people with a sharp brain do.

You shouldn't be surprised by this, but if it's a shock... right on.

Cry Havoc
10-24-2017, 06:48 PM
That's what people with a sharp brain do.

You shouldn't be surprised by this, but if it's a shock... right on.

I prefer my brain to be nice and round. :hat

tonight...you
10-24-2017, 06:53 PM
I prefer my brain to be nice and round. :hat
Lol... coolio. I enjoy reading you homie. Like I said- good stuff.

K...
10-24-2017, 07:09 PM
Thanks, I'm really excited about this team. Hopefully they can win on the road too when it counts

sasaint
10-24-2017, 07:11 PM
:tu I am in substantial agreement with your grades - especially relative to one another. However, on a night when we had +/- 20 turnovers in the first 3 quarters, you don't seem to have taken them much into account. Pau was an early turnover machine, and his grade seems to kind of reflect that. While I share your enthusiasm for Rudy's play, he committed the turnover on the turrible in-bounds pass at the end of the first half which, fortunately, didn't cost us. I haven't looked at the box score, so I don't know who the other main culprits were. As a team, though, it was (as you noted in your Premble) a pretty sloppy effort. Thanks a lot for the time and effort and excellent commentary. :toast

RD2191
10-24-2017, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the grades OP.

Leetonidas
10-24-2017, 07:48 PM
Nice write up OP :tu

alfahdlan
10-24-2017, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the grades

Uriel
10-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Great read. Thanks OP :tu

lefty20
10-24-2017, 08:45 PM
AARP benefits :rollin

Amuseddaysleeper
10-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Good stuff

TheDoctor
10-24-2017, 09:01 PM
Killer write-up OP. Disagree on Pau and Mills grades. Should be Fs.

SAGirl
10-24-2017, 09:19 PM
Great Review as always Cry Havoc. I Enjoyed reading it.
:bobo

Laughing Gravy
10-24-2017, 09:19 PM
Pop deserves no more than a B. Damn near cost us the game in the 4th.

BackHome
10-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Rudy started off slow I was a little concerned he was hurting from last game. He played good but not as well as last game he might e a little dinged up but still love this pick up.

Agree with Pop almost cost them game taking Murray and Manu out for so long

DarrinS
10-24-2017, 09:41 PM
Well done

SAGirl
10-24-2017, 09:53 PM

Slippy
10-24-2017, 10:10 PM
Not liking Joffrey so far although it's early days .

Not enough of dirty work , too often looking for his own on offense & not finishing . Need to see more picks set, banging for rebounds & less demanding of the ball in the post. His defense aint that much better . Opposing players got around him too easily on the drive or dribble.

Slippy
10-24-2017, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the grades. Pretty much agree on all

Cry Havoc
10-24-2017, 10:13 PM
Killer write-up OP. Disagree on Pau and Mills grades. Should be Fs.

To get an F in my book you need to be actively hurting the team. Argument for Pau but he did have some defensive presence at times and got 7 boards, so there were SOME positives.

Patty was pretty non-existent, but I felt like his energy was a little better. I did question it though, but I'm starting to lower my expectations of both so that's probably a net equalization.

Cry Havoc
10-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Pop deserves no more than a B. Damn near cost us the game in the 4th.

Pop gets a pass because he smiled at the nasty. Also his lineup in the 4th won the game, FWIW.

rastaspur
10-24-2017, 10:24 PM
Nice write up, havoc. I appreciate it and thank you for the effort you put into it. Good stuff.

daledondale
10-24-2017, 10:26 PM
Great writeup OP.

TheDoctor
10-24-2017, 10:38 PM
To get an F in my book you need to be actively hurting the team. Argument for Pau but he did have some defensive presence at times and got 7 boards, so there were SOME positives.

Patty was pretty non-existent, but I felt like his energy was a little better. I did question it though, but I'm starting to lower my expectations of both so that's probably a net equalization.
Fair enough :tu

Spur|n|Austin
10-24-2017, 11:12 PM
Solid grades and great write up, thanks Cry Havoc

DAF86
10-24-2017, 11:21 PM
Brandon Paul played enough to deserve a grade, imho. And he did pretty good, tbh. Solid on D and showed glimpses of very good playmaking.

Cry Havoc
10-24-2017, 11:33 PM
Brandon Paul played enough to deserve a grade, imho. And he did pretty good, tbh. Solid on D and showed glimpses of very good playmaking.

Usually it's 8-10 minutes minimum before I give them a grade. So hard to really judge in such limited action especially from a player I've seen less of, although I did watch him at the UofI.

tbdog
10-24-2017, 11:37 PM
You can't give that many A's and B's when we turned the ball over that many times.

bdictjames
10-24-2017, 11:37 PM
Loving the news and notes around the league!

Cry Havoc
10-25-2017, 02:30 AM
You can't give that many A's and B's when we turned the ball over that many times.

Sure I can. We were without our two PRIMARY ball-handlers, considering Kawhi runs point forward half the time, and still beat a top team in the East.

It's also really early in the season. Teams turn it over a lot in the first 10-15 games of the year before they settle back into their groove.

The defense looked solid considering, so that makes me more inclined to go higher on grades.

SAGirl
10-25-2017, 06:06 AM
The main TO culprits were Gasol and Murray. Murray zipped some passes off the mark and high with too much sauce. He added so much to the team in every area that’s tough to dock him for that but there’s room for improvement so that perhaps only an A- is appropriate to acknowledge room for improvement in that area. With less TO perhaps that game isn’t as close. The team stopped with the TO in the 4th Q and thus were able to make a run to win the game.

Gasol added 4 TO of his own and hardly did enough to offset that but his grade already reflects the bad game he had.

Pocho La Pantera
10-25-2017, 06:16 AM
Great read, thanks!

LaMarcus Bryant
10-25-2017, 07:44 AM
"The Oracle" hahaha, got an esoteric ring to it. I like it. Now he just needs some outlandish tats.

superbigtime
10-25-2017, 09:36 AM
What a great write up. Can you please do all of them? This is why I log into Spurstalk, not for the absurd childish banter. thumbs up.

look_at_g_shred
10-25-2017, 09:46 AM
I prefer the Spider-Man comparison tbh

raybies
10-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Good read. Thanks for the contribution.

Seventyniner
10-25-2017, 11:04 AM
The Oracle actually sees the future. To fit "when you look at him you see the future" we would have to call Murray 'The Crystal Ball' or some such. Not quite as cool.

LittleCriminal
10-25-2017, 11:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5hfAGelME

these two people cover a number of threads on ST.
i like what they are doing.

Rocalcio
10-25-2017, 11:50 AM
I don't know if you'll post that after each game of the season but it's always a pleasure to read it, and also to check if we had the same vision of the game.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Nice job on the grades...again! :)

Once again, Pau and Mills disappointed. Loving what I'm seeing from Murray, Gay, and Aldridge. THIS is the LMA I was hoping for when the Spurs signed him!!

SpursforSix
10-25-2017, 12:02 PM
Shit...this was a good writeup. Was ready to post some childish shit but nice job nigga.

SpursforSix
10-25-2017, 12:03 PM
I don't know if you'll post that after each game of the season but it's always a pleasure to read it, and also to check if we had the same vision of the game.

No one views the game like you do Rob. Through your boyfriend's legs.

Rocalcio
10-25-2017, 12:07 PM

Rob is R2D2, right ? Sorry I'm new here...

Cry Havoc
10-25-2017, 12:11 PM
What a great write up. Can you please do all of them? This is why I log into Spurstalk, not for the absurd childish banter. thumbs up.

Thanks. I'll make an attempt to do as many as I can this year. Last year we had a schedule for game grades that worked pretty well.

SpursforSix
10-25-2017, 12:18 PM
Rob is R2D2, right ? Sorry I'm new here...

Whoops. My sincerest apologies sir.

sananspursfan21
10-25-2017, 12:24 PM
This is cool. It seriously looks like PATFO came through for us at times unappreciative fans. I'll admit I questioned the moves (or lack thereof) but other than that weird Pau signing, it looks like all is well so far. Of course, Nov. 2 is the day we all have marked.... true judgement day

RD2191
10-25-2017, 01:03 PM

LMAO

Splits
10-25-2017, 01:41 PM

faggot

RD2191
10-25-2017, 01:58 PM

:jack

PopTheGOAT
10-25-2017, 01:59 PM
inb4 stolen by ESPN columnist

could be too late tbh