PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker's Rookie year stats...

duncan2k5
10-26-2017, 09:22 PM
Remember tony was given the reigns after Pop decided to take a leap of faith after 4 pr 5 games...ppl have been talking about Murray not being able to shoot, thus shouldn't start...and how amazing tony was as a rookie...he was good, but i think ppl are mixing up how good he was after his rookie season with his actual rookie season

9.2 ppg... 41%fg... 67%ft...1.4 stl... 4.3 Ast... 2to

DAF86
10-26-2017, 09:30 PM
Murray would easily best that if given the chance, tbh.

duncan2k5
10-26-2017, 09:33 PM

I agree

Play Boban
10-26-2017, 09:36 PM
Porker was garbage until the Spurs' first dynasty ended in 2007 tbh. I'll never forget how dreadful he was against LAL in 2004 tbh....

hater
10-26-2017, 09:42 PM

Dumb

duncan2k5
10-26-2017, 09:46 PM
Porker was garbage until the Spurs' first dynasty ended in 2007 tbh. I'll never forget how dreadful he was against LAL in 2004 tbh....

He was on fire the first 2 games, then completely disappeared the last 4

hater
10-26-2017, 09:48 PM

Still doesnt beat 8 turnovers in a
Championship clincher in miami

Even Timmy sat down thinking he won a ship even got congratulated by Blair on
The bench and Turdnobili became Lebrons MVP

Smh

dabom
10-26-2017, 09:55 PM
Still doesnt beat 8 turnovers in a
Championship clincher in miami

Even Timmy sat down thinking he won a ship even got congratulated by Blair on
The bench and Turdnobili became Lebrons MVP

Missing 30 shots in the last 2 games. :lmao
Smh

BSfromTX
10-26-2017, 09:55 PM
Murray is in his second year... could he have done that last year? It’s qustionable. Parker had no mid range and had a hard time finishing at the rim in his first year, but was more mature and use to professional basketball.

Murray was maybe more skilled in his first year, but not his mental game wasn’t quite as mature.

Rookie Parker over rookie Murray imho

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-26-2017, 09:58 PM

After game 2 Phil Jackson made adjustments to keep him out of the paint and we had no effective counterpunch in our arsenal.

duncan2k5
10-26-2017, 10:08 PM
After game 2 Phil Jackson made adjustments to keep him out of the paint and we had no effective counterpunch in our arsenal.

He also became passive... Trust me... I vividly remember that series... They were more physical with him... And he got passive

tholdren
10-26-2017, 10:11 PM
He also became passive... Trust me... I vividly remember that series... They were more physical with him... And he got passive

Dis alt doe

duncan2k5
10-26-2017, 10:11 PM
Murray is in his second year... could he have done that last year? It’s qustionable. Parker had no mid range and had a hard time finishing at the rim in his first year, but was more mature and use to professional basketball.

Murray was maybe more skilled in his first year, but not his mental game wasn’t quite as mature.

Rookie Parker over rookie Murray imho

Parker was allowed to grow into his starter role... Murray didn't have that benefit, so it's possible he would have not only had a better statistical year, but his leadership qualities may have surpassed rookie Tony... I dont see a rookie Tony waving away pop... For goodness sakes pop yelled at him the other day to give kawhi the ball

tholdren
10-26-2017, 10:14 PM
Parker was allowed to grow into his starter role... Murray didn't have that benefit, so it's possible he would have not only had a better statistical year, but his leadership qualities may have surpassed rookie Tony... I dont see a rookie Tony waving away pop... For goodness sakes pop yelled at him the other day to give kawhi the ball

Yeah just trade murray for curry and kd

duncan2k5
10-26-2017, 10:18 PM
Yeah just trade murray for curry and kd

Good trade, tbh...

BSfromTX
10-26-2017, 10:23 PM

Waving Pop was stupid and disrespectful. I don’t care how you spin it. Murray maybe has a higher false sense of confidence is all that means.... and trust me, I’ve never been a huge Parker fan, but He had played professionally since he was 16 and he had to help lead a team with Duncan, Robinson, and a much more high strung Pop.

I actually like Murray more than Parker at this stage, and I think he COULD be better. Yes Parker was exposed by Phil, but you can bet your ass he would expose Murray just the same

duncan2k5
10-26-2017, 10:30 PM
Waving Pop was stupid and disrespectful. I don’t care how you spin it. Murray maybe has a higher false sense of confidence is all that means.... and trust me, I’ve never been a huge Parker fan, but He had played professionally since he was 16 and he had to help lead a team with Duncan, Robinson, and a much more high strung Pop.

I actually like Murray more than Parker at this stage, and I think he COULD be better. Yes Parker was exposed by Phil, but you can bet your ass he would expose Murray just the same

Difference is I don't see Murray backing down and getting passive in his third full season because ppl get physical with him...

cd98
10-26-2017, 10:34 PM
Murray as a rookie was no where near as good as Parker. That said, they both had horrible jump shots their rookie year. It took Parker like 4-5 years to get an acceptable jump shot. No one is saying Parker was HOF his first 3 years.

Maybe Murray gets as good as Parker. Hopefully. But he’s not as talented or physically gifted as Parker. Parker’s speed was way more effective than Marrays length.

BSfromTX
10-26-2017, 10:35 PM
Difference is I don't see Murray backing down and getting passive in his third full season because ppl get physical with him...

I agree, but third year is different from rookie year, no?

phxspurfan
10-26-2017, 10:53 PM

That and didn't Turkoglu disappear

duncan2k5
10-26-2017, 10:55 PM
I agree, but third year is different from rookie year, no?

I was saying that in reference to u saying they would have don't Murray the same... So im not talking about rookie Murray... Im taking about Murray that had a couple years under his belt like Tony did by time he faced them in 04

DAF86
10-26-2017, 10:58 PM
Murray as a rookie was no where near as good as Parker. That said, they both had horrible jump shots their rookie year. It took Parker like 4-5 years to get an acceptable jump shot. No one is saying Parker was HOF his first 3 years.

Maybe Murray gets as good as Parker. Hopefully. But he’s not as talented or physically gifted as Parker. Parker’s speed was way more effective than Marrays length.

How can you possibly assure any of that when we never got to see rookie Murray play a full season? We just saw glimpses of him, and those glimpses were pretty damn good.

In terms of the physical tools, I don't know how can anybody argue in favour of Tony, tbh. Yeah, Tony was probably the fastet player in the NBA back then, but DJ is pretty damn fast too, and he also has quickness, agility, size and hops. Murray is a much better physical specimen than Tony was, tbh.

TheGreatYacht
10-27-2017, 12:57 AM
:lol Faggot OP continues to be the worst poster in the forum

Let's compare their sophomore seasons when the year ends.

Parker 2002-2003 (20 years old)
15.5ppg, 2.6rpg, 5.3apg, 46.4FG%, 33.7 3P%

TheGreatYacht
10-27-2017, 01:00 AM
Since we're bringing up rookie seasons for no reason :lol

Manure Ginobili 2002-2003 (25 years old!!!)
7.6ppg, 2.3rpg, 2.0apg, 1.4TO, 43.8FG%, 34.5 3P%

:lmao :lmao :lmao Can't even sniff a 19yr old rookie Parker's jockstrap

LaMarcus Bryant
10-27-2017, 09:43 AM

Also Fronting Shaq worked really well those first two games.
Horry, Duncan, Manu, they all fuckin contributed to that 04 choke show. Wasn't just parker's fault. Pop himself to blame mostly, IMO.

Chinook
10-27-2017, 09:52 AM
It should be noted that despite the parallels people try to draw, Parker was almost two full years younger than Murray is now when he came into the league. Comparing 19-year-old Tony to 21-year-old Murray has problems, but then so does comparing Tony who had been playing pro ball for three years to a Murray who was still in college.

Brazil
10-27-2017, 09:57 AM
Yet another useless thread.. when this old fart is gonna be pinked tbh ?

SAGirl
10-27-2017, 09:59 AM
I agree it's a useless thread fwiw:toast

SPURt
10-27-2017, 10:03 AM

This was my same thought. Why are they comparing a rookie TP to a 2nd yr Murray? Comparing sophomore stats in a vacuum isn’t good either. The rosters and the league rules/style of play gives totally different opportunities to TP and Murray.

SpursforSix
10-27-2017, 10:05 AM

Good question. This is the last year on his contact. If they have to keep him, I hope it's at a steep discount to his current $15,000,000 salary.

duncan2k5
10-27-2017, 10:19 AM

U then would have to compare to Murray's this year... Parker was forced into the starting role... Played the full season as the starter... Murray had a very sporadic rookie season in terms of playing time... Even though he was more gifted than a rookie Parker, Pop isn't as willing to take chances as he was when he was young... So u have to compare their first full season as a starter... Not sure how this is difficult for you to understand... You're killing me Smalls!

LaMarcus Bryant
10-27-2017, 10:43 AM
Parker scraped tha fuck outta an aging Gary Payton in round 1 too.
I'll wait until Murray does something similar.

Mr. Body
10-27-2017, 11:27 AM
It should be noted that despite the parallels people try to draw, Parker was almost two full years younger than Murray is now when he came into the league. Comparing 19-year-old Tony to 21-year-old Murray has problems, but then so does comparing Tony who had been playing pro ball for three years to a Murray who was still in college.

This.

The Spurs in that era could barely get the ball up the court, Terry Porter was so freaking old. Kobe was demolishing them in the full court.Parker almost immediately had some of the tightest handles on the league and fixed the problem immediately. Murray is sloppy and looks like guys will pick up his habits and that high dribble.

Mr. Body
10-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Also Parker came in shooting threes before they pulled him off and started working on his mid-game instead. That was also a much stronger defensive era. Right now PGs rule. I can imagine him getting unleashed into this league right now

duncan2k5
10-27-2017, 11:37 AM
Parker scraped tha fuck outta an aging Gary Payton in round 1 too.
I'll wait until Murray does something similar.

That same Payton shut him down vs the Lakers in 04...how quickly we forget

duncan2k5
10-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Also Parker came in shooting threes before they pulled him off and started working on his mid-game instead. That was also a much stronger defensive era. Right now PGs rule. I can imagine him getting unleashed into this league right now

Parker couldn't shoot twos nor threes.... Taking them doesn't mean u can shoot them... And he definitely wasn't a confident shooter

Mr. Body
10-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Parker couldn't shoot twos nor threes.... Taking them doesn't mean u can shoot them... And he definitely wasn't a confident shooter

From other thread, he became a good then great midrange shooter pretty steadily.

duncan2k5
10-27-2017, 11:43 AM
From other thread, he became a good then great midrange shooter pretty steadily.

Great? No... Kawhi is a great midrange shooter... Nash was a great midrange shooter... Parker was never on that level... He did become a good midrange shooter that occasionally got hot

Mr. Body
10-27-2017, 11:55 AM
Great? No... Kawhi is a great midrange shooter... Nash was a great midrange shooter... Parker was never on that level... He did become a good midrange shooter that occasionally got hot

Whatever. He was a major midrange threat.

bklynspursfan
10-27-2017, 12:18 PM

Whatever. He was a major midrange threat.

Yea he definitely was.

TP Regular season from 16 feet or more- .413% Playoffs .408%
Kawhi Regular season from 16 feet or more- .441% Playoffs .403%
Nash Regular Season from 16 feet or more- .484% Playoffs .431%

Shooting over 40% from 3 is considered to be great, I'm not sure why mid-range isn't according to duncan2k5 . Especially when mid-range you're more or likely pulling up off the dribble vs catching/shooting a 3. Trying to downplay just how good he was at it.

Fair to say Kawhi/TP were/are both great mid-range shooters. Neither were on the level of Nash or Dirk. Doesn't mean they weren't great at it.

duncan2k5
10-27-2017, 01:04 PM
Yea he definitely was.

TP Regular season from 16 feet or more- .413% Playoffs .408%
Kawhi Regular season from 16 feet or more- .441% Playoffs .403%
Nash Regular Season from 16 feet or more- .484% Playoffs .431%

Shooting over 40% from 3 is considered to be great, I'm not sure why mid-range isn't according to duncan2k5 . Especially when mid-range you're more or likely pulling up off the dribble vs catching/shooting a 3. Trying to downplay just how good he was at it.

Fair to say Kawhi/TP were/are both great mid-range shooters. Neither were on the level of Nash or Dirk. Doesn't mean they weren't great at it.

Me and u have very different definitions for "great"... Parker was never a great midrange shooter... Lol he was good... Not great... Curious... Who would u consider to be a good midrange shooter? Imo someone like gay is a good midrange shooter without looking at the stats... And I even trust gay to knock down a jumper before I trust Parker... But hey... My standards are different... In your standard, Parker is on the level of nash

bklynspursfan
10-27-2017, 01:16 PM
Me and u have very different definitions for "great"... Parker was never a great midrange shooter... Lol he was good... Not great... Curious... Who would u consider to be a good midrange shooter? Imo someone like gay is a good midrange shooter without looking at the stats... And I even trust gay to knock down a jumper before I trust Parker... But hey... My standards are different... In your standard, Parker is on the level of nash

I literally said Kawhi/TP weren't on the level of Nash...... You choose to ignore that?

& I'm just curious why you consider Kawhi great and not TP considering they aren't too far apart #s wise

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-27-2017, 01:22 PM
If Pop was coaching Murray remotely close to the way he coached young TP, he'd run in tears to his daddy LeBron.

dabom
10-27-2017, 01:24 PM
If Pop was coaching Murray remotely close to the way he coached young TP, he'd run in tears to his daddy LeBron.

Pop usually chews out the least talented players. :lmao

Horse
10-27-2017, 02:41 PM
Phils only adjustment was crying like a bitch to the point where Tony couldn't get a call to save his life even after be continually hammered.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-27-2017, 09:08 PM

Lolololol Payton on Parker was the least of our concerns
Fuckface Malone was stripping Duncan, pulling the chair, owning him even worse. And that's nothing compared to their overall team defense on Pops schemes

cd98
10-27-2017, 09:24 PM
How can you possibly assure any of that when we never got to see rookie Murray play a full season? We just saw glimpses of him, and those glimpses were pretty damn good.

In terms of the physical tools, I don't know how can anybody argue in favour of Tony, tbh. Yeah, Tony was probably the fastet player in the NBA back then, but DJ is pretty damn fast too, and he also has quickness, agility, size and hops. Murray is a much better physical specimen than Tony was, tbh.

Murry is no where near as fast as Parker. And Parker didn’t get blocked at the rim like Murray or give careless turnovers. His main weakness was shooting, but he became a good mid range shooter.

I appreciate rooting for Murray. I hope he gets better. But he’s not on Parker’s level. He wasn’t good enough to start last year and TBH, he shouldn’t be starting this year based on the last two games.

DAF86
10-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Murry is no where near as fast as Parker. And Parker didn’t get blocked at the rim like Murray or give careless turnovers. His main weakness was shooting, but he became a good mid range shooter.

I appreciate rooting for Murray. I hope he gets better. But he’s not on Parker’s level. He wasn’t good enough to start last year and TBH, he shouldn’t be starting this year based on the last two games.

But there you are talking about skills, not about physical attributes, tbh.

cd98
10-27-2017, 09:34 PM
But there you are talking about skills, not about physical attributes, tbh.

His speed was elite. Murray is long, but he can’t use his length because his skills suck. If he had Parker’s speed, he’d be a one man fast break.

daslicer
10-27-2017, 09:42 PM

Not really TBH. The Lakers got a free pass to play dirty after Phil bitched about the refs after the first two games. The Lakers then clogged the paint and forced Parker and the rest of the Spurs to shoot jumpers.

DAF86
10-27-2017, 09:48 PM
His speed was elite. Murray is long, but he can’t use his length because his skills suck. If he had Parker’s speed, he’d be a one man fast break.

He might not have Parker's speed but he's still very fucking fast. Not many folks have had Tony's speed, tbh. He was one of the fastest players ever. Besides, why are you limiting physical tools to just speed? Just because it is the one physical attribute that Parker has over Murray? :lol

And lol at the thought of Murray not having any skill. :lol if he doesn't have skill then what is left for a guy like Danny Green?

Many folks seem to forget what a young Tony was. He was kinda like a young Murray. A kid with potential but extremely raw. Or do you forget that he couldn't shoot for shit? That on fastbreaks he would mindlessly take on three defenders all by himself and, inevitably, turn the ball over? That he had tunel vision? It's easy now, after all that Parker has done, to laugh at the idea of comparing Murray to Tony. But I don't forget all the flaws that a young Tony had, tbh.

Ice009
10-27-2017, 10:06 PM

You tool. Gary Payton was begging for help in the 2004 playoffs. I read an article back then where the Lakers had a team meeting and Payton was asking for help to guard TP, he said he couldn't guard him. They had to change their strategy as they had no-one that could stop him. They ended up letting him shoot jumpers. Murray would look 10 times worse if he was put into that series instead of TP.

SAGirl
10-27-2017, 10:43 PM
We don't even have to talk about Tony having a rough playoff series in 2004, 13 years ago... a long time.
Dijon is getting shut down in regular games right now. I hope he bounces back from this and not hit a "rookie wall" his sophomore season when he's getting real minutes.

cd98
10-27-2017, 10:44 PM
Lakers packed the paint bc of Parker. They dared him to shoot. But the pack the paint strategy tells you how impactful Parker was. They actually had to have a major game plan to stop his dribble penetration. Once Parker could hit the midrange, he became almost unguardable. Sadly, he couldn’t hit threes in his prime.

Ice009
10-27-2017, 11:11 PM
We don't even have to talk about Tony having a rough playoff series in 2004, 13 years ago... a long time.
Dijon is getting shut down in regular games right now. I hope he bounces back from this and not hit a "rookie wall" his sophomore season when he's getting real minutes.

It was also a playoff series where Tony Parker was dominating against 4 hall of famers after the first two games of the series, after which they had to change their entire strategy to stop him. Also, one of the greatest defensive PGs of all-time was getting into arguments with teammates about not being able to guard and stop him one on one. Spurs still could/should have should have won that series.

This is ridiculous that people are comparing Murray in start of the season regular season games to a young TP in the playoffs. A young TP destroys Murray any day of the week.

SASdynasty!
10-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Parker didn’t shoot well, but Gary Patton never really shut him down:

2002 series: 17/3 on 50%

2004 series: 17/6 on 38%

If anything Parker shut Payton down: 9/5 on 34%

SASdynasty!
10-28-2017, 12:20 PM
Just let me know when Murray sweeps Lebron and wins FMVP.

bklynspursfan
10-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Lakers packed the paint bc of Parker. They dared him to shoot. But the pack the paint strategy tells you how impactful Parker was. They actually had to have a major game plan to stop his dribble penetration. Once Parker could hit the midrange, he became almost unguardable. Sadly, he couldn’t hit threes in his prime.

Exactly... That 3 point shot came much later in his career. But his shot overall improved so much my. Couldn't dare him to shoot anymore

tholdren
10-28-2017, 01:24 PM
He might not have Parker's speed but he's still very fucking fast. Not many folks have had Tony's speed, tbh. He was one of the fastest players ever. Besides, why are you limiting physical tools to just speed? Just because it is the one physical attribute that Parker has over Murray? :lol

And lol at the thought of Murray not having any skill. :lol if he doesn't have skill then what is left for a guy like Danny Green?

Many folks seem to forget what a young Tony was. He was kinda like a young Murray. A kid with potential but extremely raw. Or do you forget that he couldn't shoot for shit? That on fastbreaks he would mindlessly take on three defenders all by himself and, inevitably, turn the ball over? That he had tunel vision? It's easy now, after all that Parker has done, to laugh at the idea of comparing Murray to Tony. But I don't forget all the flaws that a young Tony had, tbh.

It just makes tony that much better than murray tbh. Ive stated this before. If murray was tonys height we wouldnt be in the nba. If tony was murrays height he would have been an all star every year. Murray is a dumb player, like most nba players, who get away with being dumb because a casual fan doesnt know a "right" play, and would settle for a dunk, a three, or a block that goes into the stands over a fundamental play that contributes to a win. See 90 percent of the posters here.

DAF86
10-28-2017, 02:22 PM
It just makes tony that much better than murray tbh. Ive stated this before. If murray was tonys height we wouldnt be in the nba. If tony was murrays height he would have been an all star every year. Murray is a dumb player, like most nba players, who get away with being dumb because a casual fan doesnt know a "right" play, and would settle for a dunk, a three, or a block that goes into the stands over a fundamental play that contributes to a win. See 90 percent of the posters here.

lol son. I would used to scream at my TV at all the dumb shit a young Tony would do. Same shit with Manu. Comitting dumb mistakes is just a phase of being young, tbh. Anyway, Murray doesn't seem to commit nearly as half dumb mistakes as young Tony and Manu would. Probably because he doesn't play as much. So I don't know wjere you get this shit about him being a dumb player.

will_spurs
10-30-2017, 03:05 AM
Parker was All-Rookie (1st) and Sporting News ROY--such a bad rookie season! You have to look past the stats (which were still very decent). Pop knew what he had in Tony. Physical attributes are useless if you can't use them.

I agree with Chinook though that both players are in very different situations. At Murray's age Parker had 5 of pro experience, a ring, and was the 2nd best player on one of the top contenders of that era.

SAGirl
10-31-2017, 10:04 AM

duncan2k5
10-31-2017, 10:13 AM

if Duncan was tony's height, he wouldnt be in the NBA...players are who they are, and their hight has a MAJOR effect on their ceiling...the best players ever at every position were on the taller side of their position all across the board...When Murray becomes an All-Star, ill bump this so quickly....

Pauleta14
10-31-2017, 05:18 PM
Rookie Parker wasn't all about the numbers...

Everybody was stunned by the way he was handling the situation he was in, (for those who remember the context). Most of hs job was limited to pas the ball to Timmy in the post anyway, so impossible to compare with nowdays Murray.

TP's mental strength was (with his speed) his main asset.

Murray seems a bit less mature emotionally, his potential physically is off the charts (wtf the wingspan!!!), but he has a lot to learn yet.

When Parker came to the league, he was already a pro and playing against men for 3 years already...

duncan2k5
11-01-2017, 11:33 AM
Rookie Parker wasn't all about the numbers...

Everybody was stunned by the way he was handling the situation he was in, (for those who remember the context). Most of hs job was limited to pas the ball to Timmy in the post anyway, so impossible to compare with nowdays Murray.

TP's mental strength was (with his speed) his main asset.

Murray seems a bit less mature emotionally, his potential physically is off the charts (wtf the wingspan!!!), but he has a lot to learn yet.

When Parker came to the league, he was already a pro and playing against men for 3 years already...

now imagine how tony would looks without the stability of Duncan...that is what Murray is going through right now without Kawhi