PDA

View Full Version : Center of attention: Can the Kandi man ever come through?

ducks
10-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Center of attention: Can the Kandi man ever come through?
By DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer
October 17, 2005

Minnesota Timberwolves center Michael Olowokandi, the former first overall draft pick who starts his third season, faces a critical juncture in his career and the team needs a consistent contribution from him. Olowakandi is shown on media day Oct. 3, 2005 in Minneapolis.
AP - Oct 17, 3:48 pm EDT
More Photos
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- For the past two seasons, the Minnesota Timberwolves and their frustrated fans have watched Michael Olowokandi fail to become the reliable center this franchise has needed since its inception 16 years ago.

The Kandi Man's most consistent contribution to the Timberwolves has, sadly, been personal fouls. During a particularly odious February performance against Houston last season, Olowokandi fouled out in nine scoreless minutes. And he STARTED that game.

The Wolves saved plenty of money in the summer of 2003 when they let Rasho Nesterovic leave for San Antonio and signed Olowokandi to a three-year deal worth $16.2 million. But the 7-footer who was once the first overall pick in the draft has yet to play well enough to justify even that relatively modest contract.

Last season, Olowokandi averaged 5.9 points, a career-low 5.2 rebounds and a career-low 0.9 blocks in 62 games -- with several did-not-play notations next to his name in the box score.

New Minnesota coach Dwane Casey wants Olowokandi to become a ``10-10 guy,'' meaning a player who will average 10 points and 10 rebounds per game. That's a tall order, no pun intended, for the native of Nigeria who was raised in London, began studying there and picked the University of Pacific out of the Peterson's Guide to American Colleges and Universities on his 20th birthday. He had never played organized basketball before his unique transfer to the United States.

In 2002-03 with the Los Angeles Clippers, Olowokandi averaged 12.3 points, 9.1 rebounds and 2.2 blocks. Last season, he dug down and even found a few double-doubles, including a 17-point, 13-rebound effort at Atlanta when the Wolves desperately were trying to stay in the chase for a playoff spot.

His strength is on defense, let it be remembered, and he has had his moments during his time in Minnesota. He alters a lot of shots, if not blocking them, and when he finds a rhythm, avoids fouls, touches the ball and makes one of his first few short shots, Olowokandi usually will begin to look comfortable on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT
But most of the time, he just seems out of place -- even with his enviable size and gift of swatting away opponents' shots. He often seems to have a distant gaze in his eyes or a bewildered look on his face.

All the Timberwolves want is somebody to play center who can be counted on to grab a few rebounds, put them back in the basket, not mess up the flow of the game and be a healthy body.

But that's been one of Olowokandi's biggest problems -- staying off the injured list. Most of his troubles have been knee-related, a common malady among players this tall.

``The biggest part of this whole thing has been my health and trying to figure that out,'' Olowokandi said after a practice last week.

Olowokandi, however, was culpable for his latest failure -- not showing up on time for an intrasquad scrimmage. He was running late, so Casey sent him home and stuck him with a fine. While taking responsibility for his tardiness and apologizing to fans, his coaches and his teammates, Olowokandi blamed the traffic.

``I didn't make it there on time,'' he said, ``but I'm sure nobody's really interested in the reasons.''

Nobody will care next month about this if Olowokandi suddenly becomes a stellar force around the basket, shedding his image as a big guy who never lived up to his billing. It's the final year of his contract, so if he's going to get any more seven-figure deals he'll likely have to reach that 10-10 plateau.

``Coach Casey's been very supportive,'' Olowokandi said. ``We talked in depth about my past and my situation and some of my challenges over the years. He gave me nothing but support. ... When a coach does something like that, it commands your respect.''