PDA

View Full Version : Okafor?

raybies
10-27-2017, 05:28 PM
I hate doing threads like these but I'm gonna attention whore this into it's own thread.

After seeing Noel traded for Anderson and Bogut, Okafor would be very cheap. We lack depth in size but have a plethora of guards, so it makes some sense.

Am I crazy to think Okafor is very underrated and undervalued?

He has one of the best post games in the league imo. What are his flaws? No range, no defense right?

My package centers around Forbes and White.

My argument is that if we can start Pau at center this kid can't be much worse on defense. Pau is an abomination lol I'm sure we could make him serviceable with all the wing defenders we have.

All in all, we don't really have the salaries to make it work but I'd take him. Thought?

phxspurfan
10-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Not useful against teams like the Dubs tbh. If this were 2008's NBA I'd be all for it

raybies
10-27-2017, 05:34 PM
Not useful against teams like the Dubs tbh. If this were 2008's NBA I'd be all for it
Gasol isn't useful vs GS either

tonight...you
10-27-2017, 05:35 PM
I hate doing threads like these but I'm gonna attention whore this into it's own thread.

After seeing Noel traded for Anderson and Bogut, Okafor would be very cheap. We lack depth in size but have a plethora of guards, so it makes some sense.

Am I crazy to think Okafor is very underrated and undervalued?

He has one of the best post games in the league imo. What are his flaws? No range, no defense right?

My package centers around Forbes and White.

My argument is that if we can start Pau at center this kid can't be much worse on defense. Pau is an abomination lol I'm sure we could make him serviceable with all the wing defenders we have.

All in all, we don't really have the salaries to make it work but I'd take him. Thought?

You don't pay attention, do you? Pau has been stellar, so far, at the rim buddy.

raybies
10-27-2017, 05:39 PM
You don't pay attention, do you? Pau has been stellar, so far, at the rim buddy.
All he has to do is jump and put his arms up. At seven feet tall, that's not that hard. Don't know why people are giving him that much credit. The real defense starts with the pressure on the perimeter.

Pau fouls a lot at the rim too. I'm sorry I'm not gonna praise Pau for being tall. When he's one on one with a defender how's the altering at the rim tbh.

tonight...you
10-27-2017, 05:43 PM
All he has to do is jump and put his arms up. At seven feet tall, that's not that hard. Don't know why people are giving him that much credit. The real defense starts with the pressure on the perimeter.

Pau fouls a lot at the rim too. I'm sorry I'm not gonna praise Pau for being tall. When he's one on one with a defender how's the altering at the rim tbh.
Positioning, being in the right place, at the right time and defending without fouling.
Fundamentals I seriously doubt Oak has pinned down at this point in his career.

SAGirl
10-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Yes, Pau has been good at the rim. He's more dedicated on that end than last season. Defending in space will always be a challenge but if guys go right at him at the rim, he's been very good. He just can't give any more than 20 minutes against a small ball team.

Anyways, I haven't watched Okafor since his rook season when he would get so lost on defense, If he had been drafted by the Spurs, he would have spent the rook season in the gleague and getting yanked his second year for lack of effort.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/after-video-of-his-poor-defense-goes-viral-sixers-jahlil-okafor-explains-himself/

https://streamable.com/9ymxq

he said he was tired basically. After seeing that, I am not sure if he's better right now. Pop at least would get such a guy to play harder or he wouldn't play... but salaries don't match, so it's another hurdle.

sasaint
10-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Okafor is a college talent.

raybies
10-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Positioning, being in the right place, at the right time and defending without fouling.
Fundamentals I seriously doubt Oak has pinned down at this point in his career.
Pau is so slow he gives players like two to three feet of space with his hand up and still gets blown by.....................................

As for fundamentals on defense, we have the best development team in basketball and the kid is so dam young.

raybies
10-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Okafor is a college talent.
played like 10 minutes one game this season and scored like 10 pts and grabbed 9 boards.

Do you mean skill set?

raybies
10-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Yes, Pau has been good at the rim. He's more dedicated on that end than last season. Defending in space will always be a challenge but if guys go right at him at the rim, he's been very good. He just can't give any more than 20 minutes against a small ball team.

Anyways, I haven't watched Okafor since his rook season when he would get so lost on defense, If he had been drafted by the Spurs, he would have spent the rook season in the gleague and getting yanked his second year for lack of effort.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/after-video-of-his-poor-defense-goes-viral-sixers-jahlil-okafor-explains-himself/

https://streamable.com/9ymxq

he said he was tired basically. After seeing that, I am not sure if he's better right now. Pop at least would get such a guy to play harder or he wouldn't play... but salaries don't match, so it's another hurdle.
I just need to hear a quality argument that he is bad. I see gem.

But yeah timing is off right now, and salaries def don't work

SAGirl
10-27-2017, 05:52 PM
I just need to hear a quality argument that he is bad. I see gem.

But yeah timing is off right now, and salaries def don't work
I gave it my best shot. I haven't watched him since his rook season and that is all I have to go on. Reportedly he got in a diet and is in better shape to play less lazily. so... I don't know bottom line.

raybies
10-27-2017, 05:52 PM
BTW LMA was not known as a defender when he came. He lacked effort and fundamentals.....

raybies
10-27-2017, 05:53 PM
I gave it my best shot. I haven't watched him since his rook season and that is all I have to go on. Reportedly he got in a diet and is in better shape to play less lazily. so... I don't know bottom line.
yeah me neither. Need someone that knows this kids history... he's been buried and injured. no buzz no thing. just flying under the radar imo

sasaint
10-27-2017, 05:57 PM
played like 10 minutes one game this season and scored like 10 pts and grabbed 9 boards.

Do you mean skill set?

Okafor doesn't have the overall athleticism or quickness to be more than a journeyman backup in today's NBA. He seems to lack defensive fundamentals and desire. The Spurs can get better value out of the DLees and Joffs of the world.

TheGreatYacht
10-27-2017, 05:58 PM
Okafor has a bad rep with dumb casuals like McGee does, but I'd definitely trade for him.

Holmes is my first choice but with Gasol being unplayable and Joffrey hurt, he's definitely needed. Would give up Kyle and Patty for him. Shit, I'd even take in white American scrub Stauskas in order to make them take that contract...

tonight...you
10-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Pau is so slow he gives players like two to three feet of space with his hand up and still gets blown by.....................................

As for fundamentals on defense, we have the best development team in basketball and the kid is so dam young.
Mmm... I think the coaching staff thinks differently from you.
And that's not an indictment of your judgement.