PDA

View Full Version : It's logical: Garnett for Nowitzki

ducks
10-17-2005, 07:20 PM
It's logical: Garnett for Nowitzki
By SAM SMITH

Chicago Tribune

So we package Eddy Curry and Chris Duhon and ...

Oh, yeah. I'm finished with that. But there are more than 400 other NBA players who might benefit from playing elsewhere. And it's my job to find out who they are. These trading suggestions are all in fun, and occasionally they happen.

I usually try to have them make sense for both teams, which I thought was the situation last spring when the new, defense-oriented Dallas Mavericks disappeared again in the playoffs. Lots of great players weren't great defenders, and Charles Barkley will agree. And the only way to get value if you trade a star is to trade for a star.

So I thought it made sense for a megadeal: Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, the offensive star, to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Kevin Garnett, a David Robinson type in that he's asked to be a great offensive player when he probably should be Bill Russell.

It seems that very small window for Minnesota has closed, with Flip Saunders fired and now coaching in Detroit and Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell gone. The Timberwolves are in Chicago on Monday night to play the Bulls, and it's a young team in transition with one constant - an aging Garnett.

The "kid" has played almost 30,000 minutes in the NBA, which is the twilight for most great players. He's entering his 11th season. And after knee problems slowed him last season - if you can call averaging 22.2 points and a league-best 13.5 rebounds slowed - the team rested Garnett in the first two exhibition games. He is expected to play Monday, but it's hard to see him being on a contender anytime soon in Minnesota.

As a defensive spider, he would be perfect for the style of play coach Avery Johnson is pursuing in retooling the Mavericks. It is a rebuilding of sorts with Steve Nash and Michael Finley, the other two-thirds of Dallas' one-time Big Three, let go for nothing the last two off-seasons. Though owner Mark Cuban always says he'll keep Nowitzki, comments to the Dallas Morning News last week raised questions.

Said Nowitzki: "I learned pretty quick in this league that it's a business. If you don't perform the way they want you to, or sometimes if you do perform but don't fit in with the future of the team, I understand what happens. You might be out of that situation sooner or later.

"I thought (the team would stay together), especially after we came so close in the Western Conference finals. I thought we were going to try a couple more years, but we decided a different route, and here we are now."

And Cuban added: "It's a job. Do people work for General Motors their entire careers? People do what's best for their careers. You have to remember we're in an era of free agency.

"You don't hire anybody in any business with the idea that they're going to leave. You want them to stay, and you hope things work out that way. I have a philosophy that you re-earn your commitment both ways every day."

It still sounds like a deal that makes sense for both teams.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc...ts/12920161.htm

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 10:17 PM
It's logical: Sam Smith for a monkey with remedial typing skills.

TheTruth
10-18-2005, 12:20 PM
It's logical: Sam Smith for a monkey with remedial typing skills.
I'd take one without the typing skill

mavsfan1000
10-18-2005, 12:28 PM
I would rather have Nowitzki. Garnett is breaking down.

Obstructed_View
10-18-2005, 01:29 PM
I would rather have Nowitzki. Garnett is breaking down.
That's the stupidest thing you've said yet, which is quite an accomplishment.

ducks
10-18-2005, 01:32 PM
what crawled up your ass and died?

cheguevara
10-18-2005, 01:37 PM
If I was the Mavs, I'd actually stick with Nowitzky. I also suspect Garnett's career will go downhill from here.

mavsfan1000
10-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Garnett is a great player but injuries are starting to hit him now. Nowitzki is able to take people off the dribble and has a more complete offense and is still getting better. Garnett has already peaked. Nowitzki is also developing a low post game which is why he can get better.

Obstructed_View
10-18-2005, 04:02 PM
what crawled up your ass and died?
I guess it was Kevin Garnett, suffering from all his injuries to his broken down aged body. Or maybe it was a Mavericks homer. I don't know. I certainly understand your rushing to the defense of someone that makes ridiculous unsubstantiated statements motivated by bias and ignorance.

nkdlunch
10-18-2005, 04:39 PM
I actually agree w/mavfan. the german is on his upside while Garnett won't last too much longer on top.

Brutalis
10-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Logical? Why is that word even around a Dirk for KG trade?

Dirk still hasnt learned defense and is soft as Charman, I wouldnt trade Kirilenko for him..

Brutalis
10-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Garnett has already peaked.

Is still*. ........

And how is Dirk not peaking? He is a 1 dimensional player and already looks to be peaking.

Obstructed_View
10-18-2005, 09:43 PM
I actually agree w/mavfan. the german is on his upside while Garnett won't last too much longer on top.
It's just kind of a funny projection. Dirk has missed way more games than Garnett has, and Garnett is a whopping two years older than Dirk. I suppose if Garnett is over the hill it means that Duncan is too, since Duncan is a month older than Garnett and has missed more games. None of this changes the fact that if you were Minnesota you wouldn't take Dirk for KG without Josh Howard and a couple of first round picks, because Dirk can't play defense or show up in big games (like all the ones in the post season, for example).