PDA

View Full Version : As a believer that 99 Spurs was the strongest of them all, god bless Pelicans

hitmantb
10-28-2017, 08:06 PM
As a Spurs fan who followed the team since 1995, I always believe in term of raw talents, 99 Spurs had far and away the highest talent level of any Spurs team. You can not replace the value of a MVP caliber player in Robinson with allstars like Parker/Ginobili, even if he was near the end of his prime. That team had a talent score of 95% and swept a loaded Lakers with Kobe/Shaq/Rice/Horry/Fox/Fisher (even if they did not have Phil) and Blazers. 00 Lakers didn't have the psychology yet and was down 15 points in the final quarter of game 7. Unfortunately the kidney transplant, Duncan out of playoffs, ruined our best chance for repeat. From there on the age of Robinson and key role players never allowed us to compete again until Parker/Ginobili showed up.

But I truly believe the fact that we never repeated was because of the lack of raw talent from Parker/Ginobili. Any team that won 3 or more championships, remove their #1 player, Spurs had the weakest team in term of all-NBA honors during the run. During the big three era I always thought Spurs hovered around 90% overall and could not compete with super teams at their prime. Pop figured out The Beautiful Game during their twilight years and forced a team with 80% raw talent perform at 95%, but even then what a lot of people missed was the fact that a completely unexpected break out performance Kwahi to CANCEL OUT LeBron individually (much more competitive 1v1 than Iguodala in 2015) for 3 straight games. Without that totally unexpected break out performance, Spurs would have been 98 Jazzed to complete LeBron's three-peat.

Seriously, the Pelicans twin towers is the most talented twin towers team ever and has the best chance to stop the small ball era. I don't know why they don't at least look at 99 Spurs playing style, pick up defensive players and go low tempo. Don't tell me that style is outdated. Grizzlies has always been a tough match-up for warriors despite their low talent. Gasol is at the tail end of his prime, Randolph/Allen are too old, yet year after year they give the Warriors a hard time and ultimately lose on age/raw talent.

Pelicans is different, their twin towers are near same age, in term of raw talent they can keep it at a high level for many more years than Duncan/Robinson could. Don't even need the 99 Spurs playing style, just copy Grizzlies and they have a real chance to pull off an upset. Warriors has been in three straight finals, their players are mentally and physically fatigued. Riley's disease of more describes them perfectly. Draymond is no longer satisfied in being a blue collar player that does all the little things, or rather, his raw talent is still a second rounder and his body can no longer keep up. He wants the ball more and his defense fell off a cliff.

Really hope Rajon Rando can put some 08 Celtics toughness into the Pelicans when he comes back. Twin towers shouldn't be taking three's, or play up tempo. Watch 99 Spurs/Grizzlies in recent years, slow it down, grind it out, and they are Warrior's biggest threat. Remember 99 Spurs started 6-8.

Blackjack
10-28-2017, 08:41 PM
WTF?

Play Boban
10-28-2017, 09:43 PM
:cry

daslicer
10-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Pelicans should have beaten the Warriors last week. The 2 bs offensive fouls that got Demarcus in early foul trouble fueled the Warriors comeback in that game. Prior to that Demarcus and Davis were killing them.

kaji157
10-28-2017, 10:04 PM
http://writingcenter.unc.edu/tips-and-tools/summary-using-it-wisely/

Spurtacular
10-28-2017, 10:17 PM
Welcome back, UNT Eagles 2016

DAF86
10-28-2017, 10:23 PM
:lol lack of raw talent from Parker and Ginobili
:lol this Pelicans team beating GS
:lol so many shitty takes

phxspurfan
10-28-2017, 10:51 PM
God bless the Pels sons

SpurOutofTownFan
10-29-2017, 09:15 AM
I respect some of your takes - just a few - but I laughed at lowballing TP/Manu as not being as talented. I need to stand by their record.

I also challenge your assessment about the 99 team being the most talented of them all. In my opinion the 2013-2015 teams were the most talented, and the Spurs should have won both 2013 and 2014 rings. In fact, the 2013 finals were very close, even down to a FT in game 6. You are misguided in thinking the Heat ever owned the Spurs in any of those finals.

Let me throw something else out there as well. I think the 2005 team was more talented than the 99 team, but I can see not everyone would think the same way. It's debatable.

cutewizard
10-29-2017, 09:17 AM
:bobo

TheDoctor
10-29-2017, 09:21 AM
As a Spurs fan who followed the team since 1995, I always believe in term of raw talents, 99 Spurs had far and away the highest talent level of any Spurs team. You can not replace the value of a MVP caliber player in Robinson with allstars like Parker/Ginobili, even if he was near the end of his prime. That team had a talent score of 95% and swept a loaded Lakers with Kobe/Shaq/Rice/Horry/Fox/Fisher (even if they did not have Phil) and Blazers. 00 Lakers didn't have the psychology yet and was down 15 points in the final quarter of game 7. Unfortunately the kidney transplant, Duncan out of playoffs, ruined our best chance for repeat. From there on the age of Robinson and key role players never allowed us to compete again until Parker/Ginobili showed up.

But I truly believe the fact that we never repeated was because of the lack of raw talent from Parker/Ginobili. Any team that won 3 or more championships, remove their #1 player, Spurs had the weakest team in term of all-NBA honors during the run. During the big three era I always thought Spurs hovered around 90% overall and could not compete with super teams at their prime. Pop figured out The Beautiful Game during their twilight years and forced a team with 80% raw talent perform at 95%, but even then what a lot of people missed was the fact that a completely unexpected break out performance Kwahi to CANCEL OUT LeBron individually (much more competitive 1v1 than Iguodala in 2015) for 3 straight games. Without that totally unexpected break out performance, Spurs would have been 98 Jazzed to complete LeBron's three-peat.

Seriously, the Pelicans twin towers is the most talented twin towers team ever and has the best chance to stop the small ball era. I don't know why they don't at least look at 99 Spurs playing style, pick up defensive players and go low tempo. Don't tell me that style is outdated. Grizzlies has always been a tough match-up for warriors despite their low talent. Gasol is at the tail end of his prime, Randolph/Allen are too old, yet year after year they give the Warriors a hard time and ultimately lose on age/raw talent.

Pelicans is different, their twin towers are near same age, in term of raw talent they can keep it at a high level for many more years than Duncan/Robinson could. Don't even need the 99 Spurs playing style, just copy Grizzlies and they have a real chance to pull off an upset. Warriors has been in three straight finals, their players are mentally and physically fatigued. Riley's disease of more describes them perfectly. Draymond is no longer satisfied in being a blue collar player that does all the little things, or rather, his raw talent is still a second rounder and his body can no longer keep up. He wants the ball more and his defense fell off a cliff.

Really hope Rajon Rando can put some 08 Celtics toughness into the Pelicans when he comes back. Twin towers shouldn't be taking three's, or play up tempo. Watch 99 Spurs/Grizzlies in recent years, slow it down, grind it out, and they are Warrior's biggest threat. Remember 99 Spurs started 6-8.
FIFY.

TheRemix
10-29-2017, 11:01 AM
2014 spurs are the GOAT spurs team

jermaine
10-29-2017, 11:16 AM
Tbh your point is dead on. But I watched them beat the Cavs... They take to many plays off on the defensive side of the ball. They don't know how to win! They don't know how to contest or close out on shooters, an they let to many layups happen.

hitmantb
10-29-2017, 01:12 PM
Tbh your point is dead on. But I watched them beat the Cavs... They take to many plays off on the defensive side of the ball. They don't know how to win! They don't know how to contest or close out on shooters, an they let to many layups happen.

It is scary how much coaching/system can unlock a roster's potential.

Think 1999 vs 2000 Lakers, 2014 vs 2015/2016 Warriors.

I always wanted to see Draymond + whatever Warriors center get destroyed by SA twin towers, Shaq/Hakeem, and whether small ball scoring from Splash Brothers / Durant can REALLY keep up with dominant bigs. This is as close as it is going to get in the foreseeable future. If Pelicans plays Grizzlies style and sacrifice scoring for slow tempo/defense, they are Warrior's biggest threat.

Pop acknowledged outside of injuries, no one can beat Warriors with small ball / up-tempo play. So he did his own impression of this with Gasol/Aldridge, and honestly if Pau is as young as Marc, we have an EXCELLENT change with Kwahi/Green being one of the best defensive 2/3's. However with Pau's age we just don't have enough talents and athleticism. I really want to see Pop's plan turn into fruition with Pelicans.

Mr. Body
10-29-2017, 01:16 PM
Drugs, man.

daslicer
10-29-2017, 01:31 PM
It is scary how much coaching/system can unlock a roster's potential.

Think 1999 vs 2000 Lakers, 2014 vs 2015/2016 Warriors.

I always wanted to see Draymond + whatever Warriors center get destroyed by SA twin towers, Shaq/Hakeem, and whether small ball scoring from Splash Brothers / Durant can REALLY keep up with dominant bigs. This is as close as it is going to get in the foreseeable future. If Pelicans plays Grizzlies style and sacrifice scoring for slow tempo/defense, they are Warrior's biggest threat.

Pop acknowledged outside of injuries, no one can beat Warriors with small ball / up-tempo play. So he did his own impression of this with Gasol/Aldridge, and honestly if Pau is as young as Marc, we have an EXCELLENT change with Kwahi/Green being one of the best defensive 2/3's. However with Pau's age we just don't have enough talents and athleticism. I really want to see Pop's plan turn into fruition with Pelicans.

I pretty much agree with you on that it's impossible to beat the Warriors playing small ball since that is their style. You have to find a way to slow down the game and play a grind out type of game.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-31-2017, 10:40 AM
Welcome back, UNT Eagles 2016 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49650)

lol no? I was a toddler in '95 and they haven't approved any new alts since the month of the LMA signing. Try again?

sananspursfan21
12-31-2017, 10:45 AM
Reading that was about 3 minutes of my life that I will never get back.

Keepin' it real
12-31-2017, 11:14 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qu46svpJ5g

SupremeGuy
12-31-2017, 05:52 PM
2005 > 2014 > 2007 > 2003 > 1999

meh I might be wrong but I'm also fucking drunk.

illusioNtEk
01-01-2018, 02:03 AM
2014 Spurs where the best team in NBA History.

MaNu4Tres
01-01-2018, 04:14 AM
I got a headache reading the OP. Have the crap he said makes as much sense as Pattys 50 million.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-01-2018, 01:40 PM
2005 > 2014 > 2007 > 2003 > 1999

meh I might be wrong but I'm also fucking drunk.

This is actually spot on

daledondale
01-01-2018, 01:50 PM
2014 > 2005 > 2007 > 2003 > 1999.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-01-2018, 08:01 PM
I'd like to see any team beat the Warriors. Probably won't be the Pelicans, but I do appreciate the fact that they're not the same cookie cutter small-ball team as the rest of the league.

tholdren
01-01-2018, 08:04 PM
2014 Spurs where the best team in NBA History.

cutewizard
01-02-2018, 03:16 AM
2014 Spurs rock

Ice009
01-02-2018, 04:36 AM
Why do the Pelicans keep losing? Has anyone watched them? Are DeMarcus and AD playing as well as their numbers show and it's the rest of the team that sucks, or are their numbers kind of empty stats?