PDA

View Full Version : Patty 50 Stacks Mills Rewarded for Years b4, no pressure to perform.

SAGirl
10-30-2017, 09:48 AM
:wow:wow:wow
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/mike_finger/article/Mike-Finger-1030-12315982.php

Patty Mills is richer now than he’s ever been. Four months ago he agreed to the financial deal of a lifetime, and he believes he deserved it.
“I was rewarded for the years before,” Mills said. “This is a fresh start. There’s no pressure to perform.”

Through six games this season, Mills has made only 14 of 44 shots, and is 5 for 20 from outside the arc. His paltry percentage might not be noticeable if the Spurs weren’t relying on him to be a focal part of the offense for long stretches, but they are.
In back-to-back losses to Orlando and Indiana, only LaMarcus Aldridge attempted more shots for the Spurs than Mills’ 28. He made only eight of them.

Gregg Popovich didn’t single Mills out, but he noted what has been obvious to anyone who’s watched his team over the past few days:
The Spurs need their guards to make a jumper every now and then.

“I owed it to myself to be able to see what there was, and go through every option the right way,” Mills said. “I wouldn’t take any shortcuts.”
What he discovered was that he had plenty of options, but none were quite as attractive as staying put. The Spurs owned his Bird rights, which meant they could offer him more money than anyone else could, and he had grown to embrace the idea of coming off the bench.
“We obviously had a good talk about it,” Mills said. “It would have been a lot different on a lot of other teams. But I’ve understood my role every year. You adapt and you grow. For me, it’s the same as always, I guess.”
The only thing different has been the results. His shot is gone, and his team needs it back.

RD2191
10-30-2017, 09:50 AM
:lmao wow

r0drig0lac
10-30-2017, 09:51 AM
what a clown

NASpurs
:lol loyalty contracts

SAGirl
How many more games of this bad shooting till you can sound the alarm tbh?

NASpurs
10-30-2017, 09:53 AM
If Mills contract is based on being underpaid for his services the years before, then explain Gasol's contract.

NASpurs
10-30-2017, 10:02 AM
No pressure? Also explains why he’s a butterball.

Brazil
10-30-2017, 10:20 AM
:lol tbh...

I'm not yet off the bandwagon, I trust my nigg' dabom on this one

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Dude needs to drop a few LBs. He celebrated that big contract in style!

coachmac87
10-30-2017, 10:34 AM
This is just like the "inmates" comment.....

We all knew or know whats meant by what was stated....lets not try and manipulate this to fit our agendas....

Ice009
10-30-2017, 10:56 AM
This is just like the "inmates" comment.....

We all knew or know whats meant by what was stated....lets not try and manipulate this to fit our agendas....

inmates comment?

Phenomanul
10-30-2017, 11:07 AM
Danny has had stretches of 20-30 games of being in a rut.

Patty will work it out... every shooter goes through such a dry spell.

That said, he does need to shed some weight...

Nathan89
10-30-2017, 11:07 AM
Just great :bang

DaBears
10-30-2017, 11:11 AM
Patty is playin out of his position to start the season, and the throw it down to LMA while he is playin well throws others off... So it takes time, When the rotations round into shape And we get JL back Spurs will look like they did in the 1st 2 games.. And 1 thing to point out like they did in the telecast last night that training camp & preseason was shortened by a few games and days. So all that comes into play..
Then there is the Whole missing the primary 2 ballhandlers on the team to start the season..

Ice009
10-30-2017, 11:16 AM
I'm sorry, but Patty Mills is supposed to be a PG. If he can't play the position, then what the f did the Spurs give him 50M for? He can't play PG or hit shots. If he's just an undersized shooting guard and they were OK with his lack of PG skills, then they should have just paid less for an actual shooting guard with a bit more size.

DaBears
10-30-2017, 11:22 AM
I agree he is small in stature thus only plays PG, but never the less you see how the offense wasn't moving that great with him running the PG, that's why Manu needed to step in... DM wasn't doing that great either and both are not the greatest defenders at that position. But give them some time, id rather have Mills be in a shooting slump now rather than later..

spurraider21
10-30-2017, 11:42 AM
:lmao 50 mills

coachmac87
10-30-2017, 11:51 AM
inmates comment?

Texans Owner Bob McNair said at owners meeting they can't have the "inmates running the prison"...

I think we all heard that saying before and knew what he meant..

SAGirl
10-30-2017, 11:51 AM
I agree he is small in stature thus only plays PG, but never the less you see how the offense wasn't moving that great with him running the PG, that's why Manu needed to step in... DM wasn't doing that great either and both are not the greatest defenders at that position. But give them some time, id rather have Mills be in a shooting slump now rather than later..
They need him now though bc having lost Kawhi, they have lost a lot of scoring and shooting. Tony, although he's much criticized, does give more offensive production than Dijon too, who is not a jumpshooter and is struggling. Manu will be streaky at this point. Pop can't ask any more from Dijon, Manu, and Danny. It's Patty who has been missing. I want him to play well, bc the Spurs do need him right now.

It's concerning he got complacent, felt no pressure and showed up out of shape too.. but at this point, he should be getting back in form. Just needs to make shots. I wouldn't mind if he shut up all the criticism with some better shooting games.

SAGirl
10-30-2017, 11:52 AM
Texans Owner Bob McNair said at owners meeting they can't have the "inmates running the prison"...

I think we all heard that saying before and knew what he meant..
What do you think Mills meant tbh bc you are pretty quick to yap about others making interpretations but don't share your own.

Anyways, I provided the context and the relevant quotes and added nothing. To each his own.

Blake
10-30-2017, 11:55 AM
I hope they don't reward Kyle this way

benefactor
:lol...damn, this is a pretty bad look for him. I can't believe he's basically admitting he doesn't have to try as hard as he used to because he got paid. Furthermore, it's just a dumb statement. You were paid for the services you provided then. This money is connected to the way you perform now. You got paid because you are good and you are expected to maintain that level of play.

I have to admit this is a bit surprising. Patty always seemed like a fiery competitor. Now it looks like he's perfectly content just shrugging his shoulders and saying, "I don't have to give a fuck like I used to. I'm rich."

SAGirl
I hope they don't reward Kyle this way
Better player than Mills right now but I don't want him overpaid either.

TheGreatYacht
10-30-2017, 12:04 PM
PATFO fluffers gonna try extra hard to spin this one :lol

Mods might delete this thread soon....

dabom
10-30-2017, 12:06 PM
:lol tbh...

I'm not yet off the bandwagon, I trust my nigg' dabom on this one

Still gotta remind people its October. :lol

objective
10-30-2017, 12:24 PM

At least Green contributed with defense when his shot wasn't falling.

Meanwhile, Mills now makes more than Green.

What kind of loyalty deal is Green going to get now?

4/80?

K...
10-30-2017, 12:27 PM
At least Green contributed with defense when his shot wasn't falling.

Meanwhile, Mills now makes more than Green.

What kind of loyalty deal is Green going to get now?

4/80?

When Kawhi leaves, the money will be there

coachmac87
10-30-2017, 12:29 PM
What do you think Mills meant tbh bc you are pretty quick to yap about others making interpretations but don't share your own.

Anyways, I provided the context and the relevant quotes and added nothing. To each his own.

What Mills said is 100% true.

We all know he's been on a discounted deal in the past...

The Spurs didn't give him this deal and say OK YOURE NOW THE STARTER..OR YOU BETTER WIN 6TH MAN..

The Spurs want Mills to keep being the player he was and not view the $$ as some bar he has to reach..so no there isn't more pressure.

All that "pressure/contract" mess comes from fans and the media. We felt he has to prove to us Mills coming back is worth the deal yet completely ignoring the play he gave us making 3M per. Yes he's been shitting the bed and has been disappointing but to think he doesn't care is BS.

So yeah again just like the "inmates" comment...wrong time to say it but let's don't pretend we don't know what that mean or hold Mills to this higher standard all of a sudden...let's not manipulate the agenda

SAGirl
10-30-2017, 12:36 PM
What Mills said is 100% true.

We all know he's been on a discounted deal in the past...

The Spurs didn't give him this deal and say OK YOURE NOW THE STARTER..OR YOU BETTER WIN 6TH MAN..

The Spurs want Mills to keep being the player he was and not view the $$ as some bar he has to reach..so no there isn't more pressure.

All that "pressure/contract" mess comes from fans and the media. We felt he has to prove to us Mills coming back is worth the deal yet completely ignoring the play he gave us making 3M per. Yes he's been shitting the bed and has been disappointing but to think he doesn't care is BS.

So yeah again just like the "inmates" comment...wrong time to say it but let's don't pretend we don't know what that mean or hold Mills to this higher standard all of a sudden...let's not manipulate the agenda
I appreciate the explanation as to what you meant.

Any alleged agenda manipulation ought to come from the press and Mills himself then. he was the one who used the words he used and I provided the context of the article in exact quotes. The press highlights how awful he's been and the Spurs hoping their belief in him pays off. So it's nice that he feels secure about his future and that is fine but he ought to choose his words carefully then. I would have preferred to hear some kind of remorse over his bad games and desire to do better than what he said.

If he was playing well, the contract would be a blip. You just call it market price and move on. Spurs just need Patty to make shots right now.

spurraider21
10-30-2017, 12:46 PM
Still gotta remind people its October. :lol

“I was rewarded for the years before,” Mills said. “This is a fresh start. There’s no pressure to perform.”

coachmac87
10-30-2017, 12:48 PM
I appreciate the explanation as to what you meant.

Any alleged agenda manipulation ought to come from the press and Mills himself then. he was the one who used the words he used and I provided the context of the article in exact quotes. The press highlights how awful he's been and the Spurs hoping their belief in him pays off. So it's nice that he feels secure about his future and that is fine but he ought to choose his words carefully then. I would have preferred to hear some kind of remorse over his bad games and desire to do better than what he said.

If he was playing well, the contract would be a blip. You just call it market price and move on. Spurs just need Patty to make shots right now.

I'm sure he was asked if there's more pressure due to contract...which proves my point that criteria comes from the media and sometimes fans..

Now regarding the "agenda" fans have been bitching about his play and the contract makes it 10x worst.."What's wrong with Mills??" Is a frequent question being asked.. but with Mills saying what he said people are just "ASSUMING" his play is due to him not caring anymore and since he got paid etc...that's BS and unfair to a limited role player like Mills.

I think it's fucked up to take what Mills says to fit the "I'm fat, I don't care, I'm rich" agenda..

Just like taking what McNair said and spew that to prove the "racist owner agenda"...

dabom
10-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Fathead needs to stop starting. Fucking cancer team high -15. :lmao

SAGirl
10-30-2017, 12:55 PM
I'm sure he was asked if there's more pressure due to contract...which proves my point that criteria comes from the media and sometimes fans..

Now regarding the "agenda" fans have been bitching about his play and the contract makes it 10x worst.."What's wrong with Mills??" Is a frequent question being asked.. but with Mills saying what he said people are just "ASSUMING" his play is due to him not caring anymore and since he got paid etc...that's BS and unfair to a limited role player like Mills.

I think it's fucked up to take what Mills says to fit the "I'm fat, I don't care, I'm rich" agenda..

Just like taking what McNair said and spew that to prove the "racist owner agenda"...
the first person to mention agenda is you.
I am taking that contract at face value. not the proper choice of words after getting paid a big market price compared to what similar or even better guards than him got, and the one you will cite like JJReddick was a special one year overpayment due to that franchise's payroll and young personnel. (might be a better player too, has been a starter in the league for several years, mills has not. That matters). I doubt Mills would have gotten anything similar to what the Spurs gave anywhere else and they did choose to re-sign him over any other potential guards that were available. So he got paid and now he has to take some heat. I do expect more out of him than I do Anderson, Bertans, Dijon, White, BP3 etc. bc those guys are still trying to find a role in the league and they are neither featured nor got paid 50 mills. It is what it is. If you expect ppl to not complain you are in the wrong forum sir.

coachmac87
10-30-2017, 01:12 PM
the first person to mention agenda is you.
I am taking that contract at face value. not the proper choice of words after getting paid a big market price compared to what similar or even better guards than him got, and the one you will cite like JJReddick was a special one year overpayment due to that franchise's payroll and young personnel. (might be a better player too, has been a starter in the league for several years, mills has not. That matters). I doubt Mills would have gotten anything similar to what the Spurs gave anywhere else and they did choose to re-sign him over any other potential guards that were available. So he got paid and now he has to take some heat. I do expect more out of him than I do Anderson, Bertans, Dijon, White, BP3 etc. bc those guys are still trying to find a role in the league and they are neither featured nor got paid 50 mills. It is what it is. If you expect ppl to not complain you are in the wrong forum sir.

No the agenda is using Mills comments to jusity why he's playing like crap. Like his comments have confirmed his reason of shitty play.. You're gonna pretend what he said isn't true?? And if you admit it's true then what's the problem?

Just like McNairs comments as well..we've all heard that saying before. It's a proven true statement when running a businesses. But since what's going on in the culture of the NFL it's manipulated to fit the "racist owner agenda".

Was it shitty timing for both? Yes.

But doesn't t mean what was said isn't accurate

bklynspursfan
10-30-2017, 02:01 PM

Yea, some will definitely take it out of context and overreact, especially some of the kiddies on this site.

DeadlyDynasty
10-30-2017, 02:11 PM
:lolwow, what a lack of situational awareness to say something like that. The good news is Kawhi will be coming back home at some point:toast

TimDunkem
10-30-2017, 02:29 PM
That "no pressure to perform" comment is appalling...Explains a lot.

spursistan
10-30-2017, 02:32 PM
This is too good to be true :lmao..

How about that wholesome culture Mills was supposed to sustain by being brought back on an albatross deal? How fuckin' about it, PATFO?

coachmac87
10-30-2017, 02:32 PM
That "no pressure to perform" comment is appalling...Explains a lot.

Explains what exactly???

Mills role hasn't changed....he's not expected to win 6th man and Spurs aren't expecting him to start.

It doesn't excuse his shitty play but what exactly does it explain?

Brazil
10-30-2017, 03:02 PM
One cannot question Patty's heart, like him or not, dude always played 100%... he obviously did not mean that now he can take holidays. He is having a rough start sure but it's still very early into the season to draw any conclusion. He obviously was very stressed about his future contract, he laid back certainly a bit not on purpose obviously... the first annoyed by his recent perf is of course himself, I believe he will put his shit back together rather sooner than later.

Motivation has never been an issue with Patty I don't see why it would become one now...

SAGirl
10-30-2017, 03:06 PM
One cannot question Patty's heart, like him or not, dude always played 100%... he obviously did not mean that now he can take holidays. He is having a rough start sure but it's still very early into the season to draw any conclusion. He obviously was very stressed about his future contract, he laid back certainly a bit not on purpose obviously... the first annoyed by his recent perf is of course himself, I believe he will put his shit back together rather sooner than later.

Motivation has never been an issue with Patty I don't see why it would become one now...
Dude was known as Fatty Mills from Pop himself... let's not pretend he didn't pack on like 10 pounds of maybe too much barbie... Hopefully dude snaps right back tbh... all one can ask for at this point.

Brazil
10-30-2017, 03:12 PM
Dude was known as Fatty Mills from Pop himself... let's not pretend he didn't pack on like 10 pounds of maybe too much barbie... Hopefully dude snaps right back tbh... all one can ask for at this point.

I don't say dude did not go a bit easy after his contract signature, it happens all the time for almost all the players except for the greats like Kawhi, Tim, Tony, Manu... but his motivation has never been an issue with him... I think he deserves the benefits of the doubt. fwiw imho

Blake
10-31-2017, 10:30 AM
Better player than Mills right now but I don't want him overpaid either.

Lol better player

MaNu4Tres
10-31-2017, 11:24 AM
I don't say dude did not go a bit easy after his contract signature, it happens all the time for almost all the players except for the greats like Kawhi, Tim, Tony, Manu... but his motivation has never been an issue with him... I think he deserves the benefits of the doubt. fwiw imho

What has he done to deserve the benefits of the doubt?

He's been the most overrated player on this board because of how people fell in love with his excessive towel waiving, accent and the type of PERSON he is ( nothing to do with him as a player on the court when it matters).

Ice009
10-31-2017, 11:44 AM

He's been the most overrated player on this board because of how people fell in love with his excessive towel waiving, accent and the type of PERSON he is ( nothing to do with him as a player on the court when it matters).

Exactly what I've been saying for 2 years. Pop never would have re-signed that type of player back in the early to mid 2000s. He would have sent them on their way.

Brazil
10-31-2017, 01:43 PM

Question of OP is about motivation, you can think whatever you want about his talent or level of play. In terms of motivation he deserves all the benefits of the doubt because he showed over and over he is dedicated to the team, root for all the guys to do well and give it all during the games.

vy65
10-31-2017, 02:31 PM
Question of OP is about motivation, you can think whatever you want about his talent or level of play. In terms of motivation he deserves all the benefits of the doubt because he showed over and over he is dedicated to the team, root for all the guys to do well and give it all during the games.

Dedicated to the team? How? By robbing them of $50MM?

NickiRasgo
10-31-2017, 03:15 PM
Should've trade Patty plus Kyle when we had the change to Rubio. Rubio who's being known as a terrible shooter, shoots better this season compared to a known shooter Patty.

Brazil
10-31-2017, 03:19 PM
Dedicated to the team? How? By robbing them of $50MM?

robbing them ? :lol I guess you are the kind of guy that works for a company and tell your boss... well I think the salary you are offering is way too high smh

vy65
10-31-2017, 04:16 PM
robbing them ? :lol I guess you are the kind of guy that works for a company and tell your boss... well I think the salary you are offering is way too high smh

Yes, robbing them. As in not producing commensurate with what he’s been paid.

Only a European would support a completely underperforming POS by trying to make it seem like only the dumb would want to work hard and earn their keep.

baseline bum
10-31-2017, 04:27 PM

It's pretty much who 50 has been in every year but 2014, the one year he got himself in great shape.

Capt Bringdown
10-31-2017, 05:08 PM
How to go from likable to utterly despicable in 5 words or less:
"There's no pressure to perform."

Go back to Australia, you cancer. Fuck this clown.

This cat needs to be booed, loudly, at home, for being a disgrace and a punk.

TheGreatYacht
10-31-2017, 06:55 PM
Yes, robbing them. As in not producing commensurate with what he’s been paid.

Only a European would support a completely underperforming POS by trying to make it seem like only the dumb would want to work hard and earn their keep. Brazil is my dude, but he's gone extremely soft on Manu and Mills, I don't know if he's trying to appease certain folks, but he would never make an "RIP Patty Mills" or "RIP Manure Ginose" nowadays just like he did with Parker who's his countrymen. I mean shit... he's been tougher on Lauvergne than he has those two :lol

vy65
10-31-2017, 07:50 PM
Brazil is a ST legend. But even legends can have shitty takes

Ice009
10-31-2017, 09:01 PM
What ever happened to Bruno? Seeing some of these old threads pop up, I saw Bruno's name in one of them, so just wondering what happened to him/her?

Is Spurstalk too shitty of a place to post?

cd98
10-31-2017, 09:19 PM
Contracts are always based on past play and merely a guess into the future. That said, Spurs overpaid for Mills. Sure they need a three point threat, but Mills has been tough to watch. Plus no one is doubling a Spur and none can get into the lane to generate threes for Mills.

Clipper Nation
10-31-2017, 09:50 PM
:lolwow, what a lack of situational awareness to say something like that. The good news is Kawhi will be coming back home at some point:toast

Yeah, can't wait to buy my #2 Leonard Clippers jersey. :toast

Ice009
10-31-2017, 10:41 PM
Yeah, can't wait to buy my #2 Leonard Clippers jersey. :toast

Who did Kawhi go for when he was a kid? I'd assume the Lakers. If given the choice between the two, I'd guess he'd rather play for the Lakers.

Jerry West might be the only chance the Clippers have if he's still running the team and Kawhi likes what he intends to do with personnel around him. I don't think Kawhi would go anywhere near the Clippers unless he has confidence in the GM, and I'd say that would have to be Jerry West. By the way, is Jerry West the GM or does he have another title? Also, how long is he looking to stick around?

Anyway, that's all hypothetical, I hope Kawhi doesn't leave.

Russo21
10-31-2017, 10:54 PM
Bloody Aboriginal :lol yes I know he is a Torres straight islanders but he's an Abbo to me now:lol

Give an Abbo 50 million and he's gonna be a lazy fuck. He's made it. His lazy Abbo ass never has to work again and he has all the money to feed his Abbo friends and buy them alcohol and drugs. Fucken abbo.

Why do abbos have 1 nostril bigger than the other? One is for regular unleaded and the other is for diesel :hat

Abbos are well known in Australia for being lazy alcoholic druggy fucks. Entitled sons of bitches cause we took their land :depressed and now the country owes them.

Shit I was on a train once and these 2 abbos walked on. They were the stinkiest cunts I've ever known. No teeth. One of them pissed the other off and the reply 'shut the fuck up or I'll dig your eyeballs out ****' when they got off the train a few female passengers sprayed their perfume to get rid of the foul stench left behind.

Patty the Abbo sucks 'rewarded for the years before 'no pressure to perform. Terrible comments for a sportsman. Hope him and his Abbo family and friends blow the 50 mill and he stays a poor Abbo.

dabom
10-31-2017, 10:58 PM
Bloody Aboriginal :lol yes I know he is a Torres straight islanders but he's an Abbo to me now:lol

Give an Abbo 50 million and he's gonna be a lazy fuck. He's made it. His lazy Abbo ass never has to work again and he has all the money to feed his Abbo friends and buy them alcohol and drugs. Fucken abbo.

Why do abbos have 1 nostril bigger than the other? One is for regular unleaded and the other is for diesel :hat

Abbos are well known in Australia for being lazy alcoholic druggy fucks. Entitled sons of bitches cause we took their land :depressed and now the country owes them.

Shit I was on a train once and these 2 abbos walked on. They were the stinkiest cunts I've ever known. No teeth. One of them pissed the other off and the reply 'shut the fuck up or I'll dig your eyeballs out ****' when they got off the train a few female passengers sprayed their perfume to get rid of the foul stench left behind.

Patty the Abbo sucks 'rewarded for the years before 'no pressure to perform. Terrible comments for a sportsman. Hope him and his Abbo family and friends blow the 50 mill and he stays a poor Abbo.

What is it with the fucking RACIST FUCKS in here? :lmao

vy65
10-31-2017, 11:08 PM

This post is amazing

TheGreatYacht
10-31-2017, 11:21 PM

dabom
10-31-2017, 11:23 PM
Don't go down that hill faggot. :lmao

Ice009
11-01-2017, 04:48 AM

Holy crap man, that's a bit harsh, isn't it?

r0drig0lac
11-01-2017, 05:08 AM

cringe

Slippy
11-01-2017, 06:22 AM
What is it with the fucking RACIST FUCKS in here? :lmao

ya the post was racist & stereotyping to its lowest form.

Not the way most aussies think .. I hope:wow

Patty Mills has worked his butt off to get where he is & I'm sure is doing his best to get himself out of this slump he's in. deserves better from his fans

Brazil
11-01-2017, 06:40 AM
Brazil (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14466) is my dude, but he's gone extremely soft on Manu and Mills, I don't know if he's trying to appease certain folks, but he would never make an "RIP Patty Mills" or "RIP Manure Ginose" nowadays just like he did with Parker who's his countrymen. I mean shit... he's been tougher on Lauvergne than he has those two :lol

Brazil is a ST legend. But even legends can have shitty takes

:rolleyes

I've never been a fan of Mills in terms of bb tbh... he is an undersized SG who can become hot on the 3s but cannot run a team from the PG spot now I like him as a person, I think he is a great dude to hang around and I never questionned his motivation. This thread was about his lack of motivation because of new contract, I don't think he is this kind of dude and he earned the benefits of the doubt.

The contract the Spurs gave him is way too much but not off the NBA new norm tbh...

Brazil
11-01-2017, 07:55 AM
nvm