PDA

View Full Version : Computer help

orhe
10-17-2005, 08:38 PM
so apparently my boot.ini file is in a corrupt sector (windows xp pro) and i cannot boot to windows.

i have seen the problem before and tried to boot from CD and use the recovery console but i cannot do that either. i have removed the hard drive and ran checkdisk on another computer... that didn't work

is there anyway i can ran the recovery console on another computer and fix the boot on this drive?

JoeChalupa
10-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Mouse? He'll respond.

Vashner
10-17-2005, 11:30 PM
It should be fixable. Just have to find someone with the right tools. Needs a clean boot up and then fixed / cleaned from that point.

Nbadan
10-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Save yourself a lot of heartache and buy a new HD and start over, then just slave your old drive and move your data. Newegg.com has good prices on new harddrives and fast delivery. Yes there are programs that will 'try' and repair your boot sector, but I guarantee you Windows won't run the same after anyway.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Just go with Linux and get it over with :blah

orhe
10-18-2005, 12:07 AM
tnx for your concern guys... managed to fix the thing (turns out my CD drive is on crack, just borrowed the CD drive from the other computer)

i'm using windows on this PC linux w/ the other O_O

Vashner
10-18-2005, 11:44 AM
I also recommend to everyone to buy USB external drive to backup stuff. They are on the cheap nowdays. I use a Western Digital 160gig external.

Slomo
10-18-2005, 01:33 PM
I also recommend to everyone to buy USB external drive to backup stuff. They are on the cheap nowdays. I use a Western Digital 160gig external. Good advice! :tu regularly ghost the main hdd to an external usb drive.

There are some tools that will rebuild the boot partition and/or MBR. I can't remember any names now - but ggogle should find quite afew. I have a CD with old DOS type utilities on it for emergency repairs and HDD diagnostics. There was a CD collection called hiren's boot CD, that had a great set of tools for exactly this sort of things - unfortunately all the software on the CD was pirated.

OOh and finally: Linux sucks just a liitle less than Windows :p