PDA

View Full Version : NBA Dress Code Revealed

Marklar MM
10-17-2005, 08:57 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/player_dress_code_051017.html

NBA Player Dress Code

1. General Policy: Business Casual
Players are required to wear Business Casual attire whenever they are engaged in team or league business.

"Business Casual" attire means

A long or short-sleeved dress shirt (collared or turtleneck), and/or a sweater.
Dress slacks, khaki pants, or dress jeans.
Appropriate shoes and socks, including dress shoes, dress boots, or other presentable shoes, but not including sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, or work boots.
"Team or league business" includes all activity conducted on behalf of the team or the league during which the player is seen by, or interacts with, fans, business partners, members of the public, the media, or other third parties. It includes arriving at games (car or team bus to locker room), leaving games (locker room to team bus or car), attending games when not in uniform, participating in team or league events with business partners or in the community, conducting media interviews, and making promotional or other appearances.

2. Exceptions to Business Casual

There are the following exceptions to the general policy of Business Casual attire:

a. Players In Attendance At Games But Not In Uniform

Players who are in attendance at games but not in uniform are required to wear the following additional items when seated on the bench or in the stands during the game:

Sport Coat
Dress shoes or boots, and socks
b. Players Leaving the Arena

Players leaving the arena may wear either Business Casual attire or neat warm-up suits issued by their teams.

c. Special Events or Appearances

Teams can make exceptions to the Business Casual policy for special events or player appearances where other attire is appropriate -- e.g., participation in a basketball clinic.

3. Excluded Items

The following is a list of items that players are not allowed to wear at any time while on team or league business:

Sleeveless shirts
Shorts
T-shirts, jerseys, or sports apparel (unless appropriate for the event (e.g., a basketball clinic), team-identified, and approved by the team)
Headgear of any kind while a player is sitting on the bench or in the stands at a game, during media interviews, or during a team or league event or appearance (unless appropriate for the event or appearance, team-identified, and approved by the team)
Chains, pendants, or medallions worn over the player's clothes
Sunglasses while indoors
Headphones (other than on the team bus or plane, or in the team locker room)

We know it's not possible to create a dress policy that will anticipate every possible situation. Our policy will therefore be interpreted in all cases to ensure that players are neatly and professionally attired, while not being unfairly burdensome.

Thank you in advance for your continued cooperation. Good luck to all for the 2005-06 season.

Mr_MVP21
10-17-2005, 08:59 PM
I don't think the players will be "pleasantly surprised" by this dress code.

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 08:59 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27052

People are already discussing it in there. Come join! = )

Marklar MM
10-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Bah...Late again.

Obstructed_View
10-17-2005, 09:02 PM
If a player has a shoe contract, it seems like not allowing him to wear sneakers would be a breach. That probably won't last long.

Mr_MVP21
10-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Yeah there is too much money at stake for Shoe companies investing in players. Nike, A.D.I.D.A.S., etc., would pressure Stern to overlook the dress code.

Solid D
10-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Serious business. Timmy in a jacket and dress shoes. :wow

phyzik
10-17-2005, 10:32 PM
What I want to know is what is the standard for "Dress Jeans".

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 10:32 PM
including sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, or work boots

Most players wear sneakers or flipflops in the post game interviews (except the ones who put on suits obviously). It will be weird that they actually have to put on real shoes after the games.

Also a lot of them wear t-shirts. I wonder what kind of fines exist for non-compliance.

Mr_MVP21
10-17-2005, 10:33 PM
It can't be that much for such a stupid rule.

ducks
10-17-2005, 10:34 PM
if stern wants to get anywhere with the players he will have to suspend games

MaNuMaNiAc
Oh come on! why is this such a big deal?? Everyone else in the world abides by a dresscode when they are at work and this isn't even that bad. Whoever complains is just a spoiled brat.

Mr_MVP21
Don't you mean suspend players, duck?

ducks
10-17-2005, 10:35 PM
what is 10,000.00 to ai?

like 50 cents to most people here

ducks
10-17-2005, 10:36 PM
no the player not obey the rule would be suspended for heir next game

ducks
10-17-2005, 10:37 PM
fines are useless
cuban got fined so much it was not funny did not change him
you suspend them from playing in the game or watching the game you will get somewhere

Mr_MVP21
10-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Oh come on! why is this such a big deal?? Everyone else in the world abides by a dresscode when they are at work and this isn't even that bad. Whoever complains is just a spoiled brat.

I dunno, I think that players should be laid back. The players are entertainers. They are in the business to entertain the public with their game. They can wear the hell they want as long as they show up to play in their uniforms.

ducks
10-17-2005, 10:38 PM
I wonder if ai is going to do a interview in just his boxers to show stern who is boss

nkdlunch
10-17-2005, 10:45 PM
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/ehlee/Images/Pictures/nelson.gif

at the players

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 10:46 PM
I wonder if ai is going to do a interview in just his boxers to show stern who is boss

I've actually seen AI in a suit more often in interviews than I've seen Duncan.

Clandestino
10-17-2005, 10:58 PM
nike and the others will come out with dress shoes!

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 11:05 PM
fines are useless
cuban got fined so much it was not funny did not change him
you suspend them from playing in the game or watching the game you will get somewhere

I think they should just be banned. This is important stuff we're talking about. We can't have our children thinking it's okay to dress casually. Soon they'll be having sex, smoking drugs and listening to rap music.

Obstructed_View
10-17-2005, 11:07 PM
So when the teams win the division, or when they win the conference, or when they win the championship, and they are all wearing their champagne soaked championship t-shirts, giving interviews, will the NBA fine them?

MaNuMaNiAc
10-17-2005, 11:12 PM
I dunno, I think that players should be laid back. The players are entertainers. They are in the business to entertain the public with their game. They can wear the hell they want as long as they show up to play in their uniforms.
well, I guess if Stern says they can't then they can't, and they should stop bitching about it. Christ!, you'd think they were being wronged or something.

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 11:13 PM
The NBA will now be selling their memorabilia exclusively at Nordstrom. Buy your new NBA Championship turtleneck sweater today!

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 11:14 PM
hahahaha!

SequSpur
10-17-2005, 11:18 PM
WGAF. How is this talking material? They should have a code for Spurs Players to bring their balls with them.

Like Rasho and Beno.

I could give a shit about what they wear. I don't look at players as role models, I just expect them to kick ass and win.

WTF... this isn't even worth discussing.

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 11:22 PM
WGAF. How is this talking material? They should have a code for Spurs Players to bring their balls with them.

Like Rasho and Beno.

I could give a shit about what they wear. I don't look at players as role models, I just expect them to kick ass and win.

WTF... this isn't even worth discussing.

:lol I cannot wait to see you in your Rasho jersey! = )

Uncle Donnie
10-17-2005, 11:39 PM
I think it's funny that most of the people in favor of this are those that have to dress up for their own job. Just because you have to do it doesn't make it a great idea. A suit doesn't change an attitude.

I'm chief architect at a multi-million dollar company but I guess we are a little more enlightened. I wear jeans to work practically every day. I also act more professional than most, even the suits in marketing.

The whole thing is silly. I don't see it doing anything to improve the NBA's image or affecting the real problems the league has. Cracking down more on the bad behavior (on and off the court) would do far more good.

That said, I agree that the players had their chance to deal with this during collective bargaining. The players really bent over for the owners with this CBA.

duncan2k5
10-18-2005, 12:05 AM
it seems like stern is seriously trying to erase the hip hop image that exists in the NBA. i mean...you can even wear a chain? im walking in my own arena and i cant wear flip flops, a chain, a hat, headphones? come on. no jeans? what is so unprofessional about jeans? just because iverson wears them? i think its the image he really is trying to clean up (especially since most nba revenue comes from his own race)...especially after the detroit fiasco. nba players are role models, and he probably feels when little johhny's parents sees iverson in his baggy jeans, iced out chain, a hat and do-rag that his parents they would be turned off by it, and not allow their child to be corrupted. i know this seems like an extreme point of view, but look at the things being singled out...i would not be surprised if he soon says they can't wear earrings. and what about the shoe contracts for real...an athlete can't make a public appearance in his company's sneakers? get real stern. i dont agree with the dress code either.

CosmicCowboy
10-18-2005, 09:01 AM
I guess they will have to come up with a new theme for the Tux and Tennies Gasla...:lol

spurs=bling
10-18-2005, 09:08 AM
http://www.gxnu.edu.cn/Personal/szliu/tim08.jpg

Tim doesn't look that bad.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-18-2005, 09:12 AM
You'll notice that it doesn't state where on their bodies these items of clothing have to be worn. So I'm wondering what brave soul will step up and appear for his interviews with his dress khakis on his head, his long sleeve dress shirt wrapped around his waist, and his appropriate socks and shoes on his hands.

easjer
10-18-2005, 09:27 AM
^ :rollin

lilmads
10-18-2005, 09:38 AM
You'll notice that it doesn't state where on their bodies these items of clothing have to be worn. So I'm wondering what brave soul will step up and appear for his interviews with his dress khakis on his head, his long sleeve dress shirt wrapped around his waist, and his appropriate socks and shoes on his hands.

:lol

This whole dress code thing is not gonna work out. There really are going to be some who will show that they don't care (probably AI). I'd be really shocked and surprised if no one rebels against it!

DesiSpur_21
10-18-2005, 10:29 AM
:lol

This whole dress code thing is not gonna work out. There really are going to be some who will show that they don't care (probably AI). I'd be really shocked and surprised if no one rebels against it!

Exactly.

I'd like to see some players ( including Timmy :lol ) to pay the fine occasionally (based on how high the fine is) and wear the so called banned clothing.

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 11:10 AM
http://www.gxnu.edu.cn/Personal/szliu/tim08.jpg

Tim doesn't look that bad.

Timmy looks great, but he is violating the dress code.

:nope Lose the hat, Timmy! :lol

spurs=bling
10-18-2005, 11:19 AM

:lmao

John T
10-18-2005, 12:24 PM

:lol EXACTLY what I was thinking!

And, I thought dress jeans were okay, but can't find that part now. Am I imagining things? And if they are...who defines 'dress jeans'.

Carie

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 12:30 PM
They said dress jeans are okay.

I am assuming they mean jeans that stay on the waist and don't have rips, stains, or multiple pockets.

I am just glad jeans are allowed cause Rah looks soooooo good in them.

John T
10-18-2005, 12:33 PM
They said dress jeans are okay.

I am assuming they mean jeans that stay on the waist and don't have rips, stains, or multiple pockets.

I wonder what the take will be on baggy jeans that don't fall to the knees, a la Timmy. I think they look nice, but nobody asked me. Also, it doesn't mention the shirts having to be tucked in, so that will add comfort and a more casual appearance.

Carie

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 12:36 PM
I wonder what the take will be on baggy jeans that don't fall to the knees, a la Timmy. I think they look nice, but nobody asked me. Also, it doesn't mention the shirts having to be tucked in, so that will add comfort and a more casual appearance.

Carie

Shhhhhhhhhhh! For the love of Timmy, do not give Stern any more ideas! :lol

John T
10-18-2005, 01:10 PM
:lol Should I edit my post?

He is exactly who I was thinking of though. I don't know if I've ever seen him with his shirt tucked in.

Carie

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 01:21 PM
:lol Should I edit my post?

He is exactly who I was thinking of though. I don't know if I've ever seen him with his shirt tucked in.

Carie

:lol No, I think you are good!

A lot of shirts are made to be worn untucked. I have no problem with that.
I like dress shirts tucked in.

What bugs me is the people who tuck in their basketball jerseys in their jeans. I have yet to see any fan that looks good that way.

Despot
10-18-2005, 01:26 PM
I didn't catch this, when does it go into effect? As of today? or the beginning of the season?

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 01:27 PM
I would assume it came into effect yesterday when it was released, but I don't know.

Mr_MVP21
10-18-2005, 01:50 PM
The rule goes into effect Nov.1

Rummpd
10-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Dress NIKES are on the way to a fashion store near you!

Pistons < Spurs
10-18-2005, 05:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2195141

Stern sure players will comply with dress code
By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- NBA commissioner David Stern spoke out for the first time on the specifics of the league's new off-the-court dress code on Tuesday.

Despite objections from players like Allen Iverson, who said he will fight to wear clothes in which he is most comfortable, Stern said he was "certain that it will be complied with."

Although Stern wouldn't say exactly how he would enforce the new regulations, which, among other things, bans injured players seated on the bench from wearing jeans and outlaw chains, pendants or medallions over the player's clothes while on team or league business, he did say that the league "will use a broad range of authority" to enforce compliance

"If they are really going to have a problem, they will have to make a decision about how they want to spend their adult life in terms of playing in the NBA or not," Stern said.

Stern said he believed that much of the recent criticism over the league-imposed rules had to do with the fact that the players didn't know the specifics, which were released in a memo to the teams on Monday.

Calling the rules "quite liberal and easy going," Stern even joked that the dress code is something that "even (Dallas Mavericks owner) Mark Cuban can comply with." But Cuban, who often wears T-shirts and jeans to games -- told ESPN.com that there was "no chance, no way" that he would comply with the league's off-the-court dress code for its players. Sleeveless shirts are not allowed under the policy.

Iverson, whose do-rag will now be banned, recently told the Philadelphia Daily News that "just because you put a guy in a tuxedo, it doesn't mean he's a good guy."

Stern said the clothing that is suggested is universally thought of as appropriate for someone while they are in the spotlight.

"There are different uniforms for different occasions," Stern said. "There's the uniform you wear on the court, there's the uniform you wear when you are on business, there's the uniform you might wear on your casual downtime with your friends and there's the uniform you might wear when you go back home. We're just changing the definition of the uniform that you wear when you are on NBA business."

Stern kidded that certain players might receive a special stipend to buy new clothes.

"We don't know where the cut-off is, maybe if you earn less than $8 million, you'll get a scholarship from the commissioner," Stern said.

The joke was in reference to the comment made last week by Denver Nuggets center Marcus Camby, who reportedly told The Rocky Mountain News that he didn't see players complying with the new rules unless every player received a clothing allowance. Camby is scheduled to make more than $7 million in salary this season.

Stern was less than direct as to how the league would monitor whether the players were violating the business casual attire rules, cracking a smile when telling reporters that the NBA will employ a state-of-the-art piece of nanotechnology -- a special type of dust on the player that indicates when he is not appropriate attired.

It's not clear if other sports leagues will follow the NBA's lead.

Rob Manfred, the executive vice president of labor relations and human resources for Major League Baseball, said that there is currently no need to impose a dress code policy, aside from the current rule in which players have to wear appropriate baseball garb for postgame press conferences that are free of corporate logos.

"Because of the nature of our travel and the makeup of our employees, it has never been an issue that we had to centrally regulate," Manfred said. "The clubs have been close enough as to what they require of the players."

Stern spent Tuesday giving a keynote speech at the SportsBusiness Journal's Sports and Social Responsibility Forum. During the talk, Stern unveiled a new program called NBA Cares, a name given to all of the league's charitable efforts. Stern said that over the next five years, the NBA will guarantee that the league and its players will donate at least $100 million to charity, give one million hours to community service and build 100 facilities where children can learn and play. He said the commitment was significantly greater than what the league and its players have done over the last half decade.

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at [email protected].

ALVAREZ6
10-18-2005, 05:18 PM

Actually, no he isn't. If the NBA issues the headwear/hats to the players, then they are allowed to wear them.

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Good catch. I sit corrected! :lol