PDA

View Full Version : Called it on Paul

TD 21
10-31-2017, 05:29 PM
Been saying, think Paul will play a slightly bigger role than most assume. He's more experienced than the other unestablished guards and is the only one who could conceivably fill a 3 and D role. Specifically, could see him being a secondary Harden/Westbrook defender.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270515&p=9147068#post9147068

Think Paul might start if Green is injured/given a rest game. He's not raw, just lacks NBA experience, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a slightly bigger role than most assume he will. He has the physical profile of a possible secondary Harden/Westbrook defender.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270432&page=2&p=9140435#post9140435

It's clear he'll be pushing Anderson for 4th wing minutes when they're healthy and will likely be ahead of Lauvergne in small ball games.

SAGirl
10-31-2017, 05:35 PM
He has played well tbh and earned his time. :toast He's playing better than Murray, Forbes and Mills too. Case for Manu could be argued at times. Manu will have games where he does look 40 and shots will not fall.

objective
10-31-2017, 06:22 PM
He's too small to replicate what Simmons did. Simmons had the size to be versatile. Best Harden defender on the team.

One result of the size difference is attacking and finishing at the rim. If you watch only the d-league highlights they both dunked all over people, just a smash fest. But when the opponents sized up overseas and now in the NBA, that's disappeared for Paul.

Not just that, but Simmons could handle and create, with a screen or without, for himself and others.

Paul hasn't shown any of that.

TD 21
10-31-2017, 06:34 PM
He's too small to replicate what Simmons did. Simmons had the size to be versatile. Best Harden defender on the team.

One result of the size difference is attacking and finishing at the rim. If you watch only the d-league highlights they both dunked all over people, just a smash fest. But when the opponents sized up overseas and now in the NBA, that's disappeared for Paul.

Not just that, but Simmons could handle and create, with a screen or without, for himself and others.

Simmons is 1.75 inches taller, with a 2.75 inch shorter wingspan and no more suited to defending big guards or less suited to defending combo forwards.

If Simmons' uptick in 3-point shooting holds, then his advantage in athleticism would make him more valuable. If not, then he had to be on ball and was going to block Murray's path to eventually taking over for Ginobili as the creator on the 2nd unit. Also, as many seemingly ignore, he clearly didn't want to be a Spur.

Anyway, this thread wasn't meant to be a comparison.

spursgu
10-31-2017, 06:38 PM
Yeah Paul looks like a vet out there. Lowkey reminds me of Stephen Jackson

TheGreatYacht
10-31-2017, 06:41 PM
Start him over Fathead who has unsurprisingly been an utter failure in the starting lineup, tbh... Murray, Paul, Green.

cd98
10-31-2017, 06:49 PM
Paul looks solid. He can hit the three and plays defense. Spurs use those kinds of players well.

apalisoc_9
10-31-2017, 08:27 PM
I called it before you though...

benefactor
10-31-2017, 08:53 PM
Bend over faggot, I'll call it

Stabula
10-31-2017, 10:00 PM
So this thread is dedicated to watching the OP mentally masturbate over liking a player "first"?

TheDoctor
10-31-2017, 10:12 PM
duncan2k5 called before you tbh

Truth4sale$
10-31-2017, 10:22 PM
If you look at Paul's physical makeup it matches his mental makeup. He is a young man with the "Rookie" label. His body is physically ready, he is chiseled. He is not some 19-22 year inexperienced kid learning to play professionally, that has to grow up and gain muscle to handle the rigors. He is battle tested and hungry. He has struggled tryin to get to the NBA. He is mature. He wants to stay in the NBA. He could be the X factor for the Spurs.

Chinook
10-31-2017, 10:58 PM

Simmons' game on Harden is overrated. Even in vids highlighting Jon's D, it was clear the Spurs were heavily helping him. It certainly doesn't override literal years of Leonard and Green checking Harden. By far the most important thing Simmons brought was an ability to defend Draymond. It's something Danny can't really do, but Jon did well there. It could have given them another quality horse to use against GS, but that should be something Gay can do as well. This is a long season. If Simmons' game holds, he would have been a great wing to have. However, if he falls back to Earth, then Paul is a fine guy to have. Dude is more solid than Simmons, even if he's not as flashy. I think he could be a good one long-term for the team, as he likely won't get a big deal after next season.

coachmac87
10-31-2017, 11:39 PM
I called it first

TheGreatYacht
11-01-2017, 12:49 AM
Called him being trash?

John B
11-01-2017, 01:22 AM
I love Simmons athleticism. But BP3 is a better ball handler and overall more consistent player, plus he has beautiful strokes. He could be the backup PG against more athletic teams. Arguably BP3 >> CP3 for the price :toast

TD 21
11-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Start him over Fathead who has unsurprisingly been an utter failure in the starting lineup, tbh... Murray, Paul, Green.

Yeah, Anderson has been downright putrid offensively. No improvement whatsoever, in aggressiveness, motor or quickness on release. So much for his supposed strength, play making. To top it all off, incredibly soft play around the rim, repeatedly being altered/blocked by guards.

I'd stay away from calling him a 3 and D guy though, his D is suspect.

:ihit

TheGreatYacht
11-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Yeah, Anderson has been downright putrid offensively. No improvement whatsoever, in aggressiveness, motor or quickness on release. So much for his supposed strength, play making. To top it all off, incredibly soft play around the rim, repeatedly being altered/blocked by guards.

It's just not a Spurs game without Fathead getting blocked at the rim by a point guard.

MaNu4Tres
11-01-2017, 06:20 PM
He's the 4th best player on the team right now. I'd start him over Kyle.

hater
11-01-2017, 06:22 PM
I called it since the first I layed eyes on him

Hes gona be a solid nba rotational guy

Called it :tu

apalisoc_9
11-01-2017, 06:56 PM

I did say he was going to get minutes and play over guys though

http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/sass1.png

keithington1
11-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Hate to say it but with Forbes, Patty should be traded. Gotta let Patty beef up his trade value tho. Their the same player basically, but Patty waves towels, is foreign, is friends with Manu, he screams with passion into his fists, and he moves like the tasmanian devil.

MaNu4Tres
11-01-2017, 08:49 PM
Hate to say it but with Forbes, Patty should be traded. Gotta let Patty beef up his trade value tho. Their the same player basically, but Patty waves towels, is foreign, is friends with Manu, he screams with passion into his fists, and he moves like the tasmanian devil.

They simply shouldn't have re-signed him.

-21-
11-02-2017, 01:53 AM

So this thread is dedicated to watching the OP mentally masturbate over liking a player "first"?

duncan2k5 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=237) called before you tbh

I called it first

All of you said Fathead was better. I called Paul imo

I called it since the first I layed eyes on him

Hes gona be a solid nba rotational guy

Called it :tu

I did say he was going to get minutes and play over guys though

http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/sass1.png

10/10 thread. You guys are ridiculous.

rjv
11-02-2017, 10:19 AM
i like paul .he has an NBA rotation player feel and look to him. he has a nice shot, defensive athleticism. work ethic, and a nice degree of physicality. simmons always struck me as a flash in the pan and i always cringed when he took jump shots. when paul takes that jumper, i have more confidence he drains it than i ever did with j simms.

cd021
11-02-2017, 05:03 PM

Forbes has been an awful NBA player. PATFO clearly likes him but he struggles shooting in the big leagues:

FG%-35.8%

3PT %-31.7%

2pt FG%-40.0%

Net Rtg -16

in 43 games, 353 minutes.

Still Mills has been trash this season, so far and it's seems doubtful that he returns o last season levels.

TD 21
11-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Forbes has been an awful NBA player. PATFO clearly likes him but he struggles shooting in the big leagues:

FG%-35.8%

3PT %-31.7%

2pt FG%-40.0%

Net Rtg -16

in 43 games, 353 minutes.

Still Mills has been trash this season, so far and it's seems doubtful that he returns o last season levels.

I realize that Forbes lacks a proven track record at this level, doesn't have the cache as a prospect to be given every opportunity to succeed and Summer League isn't the equivalent of regular season, but 123 FG's and 63 3PT's spread incrementally over 1+ seasons, is not enough to conclude that he struggles shooting in the NBA. Could easily be viewed through the lens of a shooting slump. Of course, sooner than later, he'll actually have to prove otherwise to stick long term.

dabom
11-02-2017, 05:52 PM
I realize that Forbes lacks a proven track record at this level, doesn't have the cache as a prospect to be given every opportunity to succeed and Summer League isn't the equivalent of regular season, but 123 FG's and 63 3PT's spread incrementally over 1+ seasons, is not enough to conclude that he struggles shooting in the NBA. Could easily be viewed through the lens of a shooting slump. Of course, sooner than later, he'll actually have to prove otherwise to stick long term.

You just said it yourself. No track record. Murray and Forbes would be total trash right now. FYI.

cd021
11-02-2017, 05:54 PM

Fair. Generally 1000 minutes over a season ( or two in this case) is a decent sample size to draw a conclusion . Forbes has only played 353 minutes in 43 game, it would be a very long shooting slump to explain those numbers so I am doubtful of that.

I do wonder if the speed of the game and the length of opposing players is something that he has had trouble of adjusting too along with sporadic minutes in the NBA and playing with quite a few different lineups all could be a factor but I don't see it with him thus far. He'll continue to get spot minutes but sooner rather than he may stop getting those if he continues to struggle.

TD 21
11-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Fair. Generally 1000 minutes over a season ( or two in this case) is a decent sample size to draw a conclusion . Forbes has only played 353 minutes in 43 game, it would be a very long shooting slump to explain those numbers so I am doubtful of that.

I do wonder if the speed of the game and the length of opposing players is something that he has had trouble of adjusting too along with sporadic minutes in the NBA and playing with quite a few different lineups all could be a factor but I don't see it with him thus far. He'll continue to get spot minutes but sooner rather than he may stop getting those if he continues to struggle.

Because his playing time has come sporadically, it's comes incrementally, so it's not really a long shooting slump.

Obviously, he's not guaranteed to because of others, but if the likes of Seth Curry and Daniels, can make it, I don't see why he couldn't.

dabom
11-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Forbes is trash. :lmao

dabom
11-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Seth curry. :lmao

Bum teams. :lmao

TheGreatYacht
11-02-2017, 06:47 PM
Forbes is trash. :lmao
He's shooting 33% from the field and 30% from three.....

and guess what....

Those percentages are both better than Paddy's :lmao

dabom
11-02-2017, 06:49 PM
He's shooting 33% from the field and 30% from three.....

and guess what....

Those percentages are both better than Paddy's :lmao

But Patty shoots 60percentTS in the playoffs. :lmao

TheGreatYacht
11-02-2017, 06:52 PM
37.8 TS% against the team we're playing tonight :lmao

dabom
11-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Porker fluffer. :lmao

Porker went out and a rookie did a better job than him. :lmao

TheGreatYacht
11-02-2017, 07:08 PM
That's why they couldn't hold on to a 20 point lead for a half and got swept with the fat aboriginal starting :lmao

dabom
11-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Atleast we had the lead. Porker would have had us down 28 at that point. :lmao

Ice009
11-02-2017, 09:10 PM
I really like Brandon Paul, but I'd rather have both him and Simmons. Would have been a way more versatile lineup.

John B
11-02-2017, 11:24 PM
Can BP3 play PG instead of DM? I mean this guy has ballhandling, can create and will spread the defense for the big guys. Seriously he is more composed than Dejounte's floater bankshots. Plus the intensity on this guy's way more.

Raven
11-03-2017, 02:57 AM
ditch him.

TimDunkem
11-03-2017, 03:19 AM
I really like Brandon Paul, but I'd rather have both him and Simmons. Would have been a way more versatile lineup.
Can we just go back in time, ditch Hamburger Patty, give his money to Simms, then bring in Paul to fill in the roster spot? :lol :bang

SAGirl
11-03-2017, 07:54 AM
Kyle shitting on this take tbh.

TD 21
11-03-2017, 04:39 PM
Kyle shitting on this take tbh.

Congratulations, he had one solid offensive performance. Everything I said still stands and he's still a net negative on that side of the ball though. :wakeup

SAGirl
11-03-2017, 04:42 PM
Congratulations, he had one solid offensive performance. Everything I said still stands and he's still a net negative on that side of the ball though. :wakeup
The entire team is in a funk though. He has scored in double digits 4 times in 8 games. I think he still needs to shoot, but he's no longer passive making no aggressive moves and showing no desire to score the basketball.

Hopefully dude keeps on that trend. I don't think he's going to the doghouse like many want.. nor should he. There are worse players in this team getting playing time right now tbh

TD 21
11-03-2017, 04:47 PM
The entire team is in a funk though. He has scored in double digits 4 times in 8 games. I think he still needs to shoot, but he's no longer passive making no aggressive moves and showing no desire to score the basketball.

Hopefully dude keeps on that trend. I don't think he's going to the doghouse like many want.. nor should he. There are worse players in this team getting playing time right now tbh

Yeah, but politics will guarantee that they remain in the rotation. He doesn't have that going for him and they desperately need Bertans' shooting/scoring. There is a spot right now and could be one permanently, if they go away from Lauvergne (unlikely). Otherwise, with them determined to start Gasol, when Lauvergne returns, it's Anderson or Bertans.

SAGirl
11-03-2017, 04:51 PM
Yeah, but politics will guarantee that they remain in the rotation. He doesn't have that going for him and they desperately need Bertans' shooting/scoring. There is a spot right now and could be one permanently, if they go away from Lauvergne (unlikely). Otherwise, with them determined to start Gasol, when Lauvergne returns, it's Anderson or Bertans.
Bertans hasn't done squat. Frankly he's been on his own funk. I think he will eventually get opportunities, but to me Kyle has already gotten a head start on him. Still I do wish to see Bertans for myself. He's played insufficient minutes to say much about him IMO... but he hasn't looked good. It's not like Paul, who seized the opportunity like a bull by the horns.

TD 21
11-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Bertans hasn't done squat. Frankly he's been on his own funk. I think he will eventually get opportunities, but to me Kyle has already gotten a head start on him. Still I do wish to see Bertans for myself. He's played insufficient minutes to say much about him IMO... but he hasn't looked good. It's not like Paul, who seized the opportunity like a bull by the horns.

Which one is it? Sure, he's struggled in severely limited viewing, but he's a shooter who'd been playing with a splint on his finger. He needs consistent minutes, not spot ones, where he's pulled because of match-up or because he didn't immediately catch fire.

They need quick strike, explosive offense more than ever.

SAGirl
11-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Which one is it? Sure, he's struggled in severely limited viewing, but he's a shooter who'd been playing with a splint on his finger. He needs consistent minutes, not spot ones, where he's pulled because of match-up or because he didn't immediately catch fire.

They need quick strike, explosive offense more than ever.
Both... he hasn't done squat (I took into account he got a lot of run in preseason too and his shooting was also putrid.) It's not just his defense or lack of rebounding, it's that he's a chucker.. He basically doesn't do anything else but shoot, and he doesn't generate shots for others. He's assisted on his shots by a huge percentage.

But the reason is both, yea, it's still a small sample so maybe his shooting will bounce back, but at the same time, I do not know that he will be more diverse than he's shown though and there is nothing besides shooting that he does well so far, and some nights, not even that.

TD 21
11-03-2017, 05:22 PM
Both... he hasn't done squat (I took into account he got a lot of run in preseason too and his shooting was also putrid.) It's not just his defense or lack of rebounding, it's that he's a chucker.. He basically doesn't do anything else but shoot, and he doesn't generate shots for others. He's assisted on his shots by a huge percentage.

But the reason is both, yea, it's still a small sample so maybe his shooting will bounce back, but at the same time, I do not know that he will be more diverse than he's shown though and there is nothing besides shooting that he does well so far, and some nights, not even that.

This team is so inept offensively right now, that they could use anyone who can shoot or score. They don't (or shouldn't think, at least) have the luxury of nitpicking him or Forbes for that matter. It's either give them a legit shot or keep living in the past, trying to scrape out 90 a game and getting blown out.

cd021
11-03-2017, 05:34 PM

He does have the second highest offensive rating on the team and in the third most minutes. That doesn't necessarily mean he is a major part of that but he certainly hasn't hurt the offense when he is on the floor.

I liked his game entering this season and have continued to be impressed with him. While he has existentially stopped shooting 3's (Playing with Aldridge and Gasol taking 3's has minimized the need) and has become more aggressive at getting his own shot.

spursistan
11-05-2017, 10:27 PM
Such a nice pick up..:tu

Hope he doesn't fall out of the rotation come playoff like every fuckin' first year role player who finds a perfect niche before he inexplicably hits the the Pop postseason wall...

Mr. Body
11-05-2017, 11:05 PM
Honestly Big 10 players have a better than even chance of becoming platoon guys. They are tough and generally well coached. They know how to do what players from other conferences sometimes don't know how to do: grind. They know the nitty-gritty and how to dig deep for Ws.

Slippy
11-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Posted about pauls defence recently. The spurs are really high on him too. Missed the gist of the report during the game telecast but they were comparing him to Bruce bowens D. They differ by length, the quick lateral feet movment & ability to stay in front is very bowen like though . Shooting & passing wise i think hes better.