PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about this "gather" rule

UZER
11-02-2017, 09:02 PM
So Harden has forced the league to stop calling shooting fouls on guys on the perimeter for the fake shot flail shit. Makes sense.

But somehow, thats translated into refs being able to taking away put back tips when a foul is called?

What kinda bullshit is that?

lilbthebasedgod
11-02-2017, 09:06 PM
the whole thing is dumb, if a player is dumb enough to stick his hand in then he deserves to get the foul tbh

TimDunkem
11-02-2017, 09:06 PM
It's even worse because Harden still gets these calls. :lol

FkLA
11-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Tbf LMA got fouled on a missed shot then immediately tipped it back in. I don't think the foul call was made on the tip-in.

BatManu20
11-02-2017, 09:07 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/adam_silver_140x220.jpg

TheGreatYacht
11-02-2017, 09:15 PM
These new rules only get inforced until the new year, and it's only against us

BillMc
11-02-2017, 09:18 PM
So Harden has forced the league to stop calling shooting fouls on guys on the perimeter for the fake shot flail shit. Makes sense.

But somehow, thats translated into refs being able to taking away put back tips when a foul is called?

+ 1 billion

UZER
11-02-2017, 09:28 PM
These new rules only get inforced until the new year, and it's only against us

There is going to be a huge swing play in a playoff games that the refs will pull that call out of their back pocket that's gonna cost a team a game or series. I promise you that team won't be the warriors, but the team playing against the warriors.

timtonymanu
11-02-2017, 09:28 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/adam_silver_140x220.jpg

He deserves AIDS, tbh

hater
11-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Doesnt make sense so you basically can go raw on any mofo trying to tip in the ball??

Wtf?

NBA is shit. Bring back the 90s

hater
11-02-2017, 09:30 PM
And what is gather anyway?

Gathere these nuts

Nathan89
11-02-2017, 09:37 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/adam_silver_140x220.jpg shitty commish tbh

TheGreatYacht
11-02-2017, 10:02 PM
There is going to be a huge swing play in a playoff games that the refs will pull that call out of their back pocket that's gonna cost a team a game or series. I promise you that team won't be the warriors, but the team playing against the warriors.
Truth bomb.

Leave it to Jewver to finally get rid of tanking once the Spurs are ready to suck again.

daslicer
11-02-2017, 10:10 PM
It reminds me of how the Spurs lost a game to the Lakers during the '03-'04 season. It was a regular season game in which Duncan didn't play and Manu went off for 30 plus points. I remember the Spurs had an opportunity to win the game and the refs called an 8 second violation on the Spurs. Which was a new rule that hadn't been enforced yet. It cost the Spurs the possession and allowed the Lakers to send the game in OT and eventually win.

Play Boban
11-02-2017, 10:15 PM

:cry

UZER
11-02-2017, 10:19 PM

Play Boban
11-02-2017, 10:19 PM

Drom John
11-03-2017, 03:23 PM
I was screaming at the TNT announcers on the Aldridge "no basket." The announcers were waiting for the first opportunity to comment on the "gather" rule, ignoring that this wasn't a gather call.
Aldridge was fouled on the first tip, which didn't go in, so 2 shot foul; and the second tip was disallowed because of the earlier foul.
Nothing to see here.

Poolboy5623
11-03-2017, 04:25 PM
I can't figure out which league is more pathetic at the moment, the NFL or NBA??

Spurtacular
11-05-2017, 06:00 AM
This gather rule seems way too subjective to me. And it seems unnecessary if the goal was only to stop the cheesing on the fake threes. No continuations in the first 20 seconds of the shot clock on threes was all that was needed.

Chinook
11-05-2017, 08:53 AM
To me, if you're not fouled during your actual shooting motion, you shouldn't get continuation. I've yet to have a problem with any of the reversions they've done. My issue is that some games still get called with the whole "he didn't put it back down standard".

Makes and-1s extremely hard to get and instead make an advantage system like in Rugby where the refs let play go on for a bit and the team gets the option of taking either the FTs or the result of the play. Would take out a ton of hacks if the bigs could gather and dunk the ball after the whistle had already blown.

So actual shooting process -- and-1 potential
Gather phase or once in the bonus -- advantage system with either shot or FTs
Everything else is on the floor

Seventyniner
11-05-2017, 09:49 AM
To me, if you're not fouled during your actual shooting motion, you shouldn't get continuation. I've yet to have a problem with any of the reversions they've done. My issue is that some games still get called with the whole "he didn't put it back down standard".

Makes and-1s extremely hard to get and instead make an advantage system like in Rugby where the refs let play go on for a bit and the team gets the option of taking either the FTs or the result of the play. Would take out a ton of hacks if the bigs could gather and dunk the ball after the whistle had already blown.

So actual shooting process -- and-1 potential
Gather phase or once in the bonus -- advantage system with either shot or FTs
Everything else is on the floor

So you would have players continue to play past the whistle? I don't think this would fly. Instead of a big getting hacked, whistle blows, he dunks and it counts, you'll see bigs just getting absolutely hammered so they can't even attempt a shot. They could even get hammered again after the whistle to prevent the continuation under the premise of the refs not being able to call two fouls on one play.

UZER
11-05-2017, 10:06 AM
So you would have players continue to play past the whistle? I don't think this would fly. Instead of a big getting hacked, whistle blows, he dunks and it counts, you'll see bigs just getting absolutely hammered so they can't even attempt a shot. They could even get hammered again after the whistle to prevent the continuation under the premise of the refs not being able to call two fouls on one play.

I saw a little of this last game. LMA was down low and getting hacked while trying to go up, and he did go up, but the refs whistled it dead because is was "on the floor". No free throws, just ball out. Like Spurt said, it's too subjective. A ref might blow the whistle too early and screw up an and-one. It's going to happen in the playoffs and one team is going to he extremely pissed.

To me, the spirit of the rule is to prevent the 40ft chucks being awarded 3 free throws just because a guy flailed his arms when there was the slightest contact. Also, to prevent players like Harden not allowing guys to play any defense by simply bulling into the defender and purposely tangling arms.

This whole issue really began a few years back when all of a sudden refs started handing out 4 points plays like candy. its snowballed since then into what it is now.

Racspur1
11-05-2017, 10:46 AM
He deserves AIDS, tbh

I swear he looks like a Bee Gee Brother !!! :wakeup

Chinook
11-05-2017, 11:49 AM

9er, you're a bro, but I disagree with this. First, the old continuation already allowed for plenty of action after the whistle. My proposed change mostly changes those from and-1 opportunities to advantage plays. For those plays, it means the guy can either get the shot or the free-throws but not both. If Drom was correct in how the LMA play went down, it would have resulted in and Aldridge bucket but no shots rather than the other way around. For the parts that would be added in, meaning plays were the guy is being fouled but then scores clearly after the call, it wouldn't change much in terms of how teams handle that. You can beat the shit out of a player to shot them from shooting. It's already a flagrant to do it. Wrapping a dude up would prevent a shot in either scenario, whereas my proposal prevents any need to worry about the timing of the whistle when a guy is trying to go up past the foul for a shot. Also, it's already against the rules to foul players more than once, with techs being awarded for subsequent offenders. You enforce techs and flagrants, and you will keep it clean.

The real issue is that fouls aren't supposed to be used strategically. They just are because of the way the rules are set up. Fouls are supposed to be accidental events in otherwise legal defense. So the idea of more heavily punishing take fouls is extremely appealing to me. I hate any foul trying to prevent transition and am glad the Spurs have been burned by that recently. The same should happen when guards are on bigs in the paint. Don't let them foul, or else it's two shots and the ball. No only will that speed the game up, but it will also make bigs more valuable than they currently are, because post plays will become more efficient. Nerfing the positive effects of getting fouled while also buffing the negative effects of fouling seems like the best solution for everyone.

Raven
11-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Tbf LMA got fouled on a missed shot then immediately tipped it back in. I don't think the foul call was made on the tip-in.

UZER
11-05-2017, 07:14 PM
It just happened on the Kyle tip in. :lol

They waived it off.

Chinook
11-05-2017, 07:17 PM
It just happened on the Kyle tip in. :lol

They waived it off.

As they should have. Dude didn't even have the ball when he was fouled.

dabom
11-05-2017, 07:19 PM
I don't like this gather rule. It's slowing the game down.

UZER
11-05-2017, 07:26 PM
As they should have. Dude didn't even have the ball when he was fouled.

If he's jumping while getting held and tips it in, it should be and 1. There is a moment when it all part of the same play.

This is heading towards the catch / no catch / football move NFL nonsense.

Chinook
11-05-2017, 07:44 PM
If he's jumping while getting held and tips it in, it should be and 1. There is a moment when it all part of the same play.

This is heading towards the catch / no catch / football move NFL nonsense.

Nah. He was being fouled then jumped. I don't think it would have even been continuation last year.

The continuation rule has always been stupid. I don't disagree that the specific emphasis on wording with this seems overly technical, but it's a move for the better to reduce the number of FTs shot during games. It's gotten way out of hand with Harden and Kawhi last playoffs.

dabom
11-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Nah. He was being fouled then jumped. I don't think it would have even been continuation last year.

The continuation rule has always been stupid. I don't disagree that the specific emphasis on wording with this seems overly technical, but it's a move for the better to reduce the number of FTs shot during games. It's gotten way out of hand with Harden and Kawhi last playoffs.

That's a clear and-1 last year faggot. :lmao

:lmao

UZER
11-05-2017, 07:58 PM

Nah, a play like Kyle's has always been an and-one, and rightfully so. The ref even signaled to count the basket. The other ref came over and told him to waive it off.

But your proving my original point. Just because Harden started this shit on the perimeter / going to the whole, and took it way too far, now other legitimate basketball plays are being negated because of a stupid interpretation of the rule. What does Hardens gather shit have to do with rebound tip ins?

And my real issue is, its all fine now, but wait until they let one slip by in the playoffs and low and behold, the struggling Warriors win a close game / series.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-06-2017, 07:28 AM
The same should happen when guards are on bigs in the paint. Don't let them foul, or else it's two shots and the ball. No only will that speed the game up, but it will also make bigs more valuable than they currently are, because post plays will become more efficient. Nerfing the positive effects of getting fouled while also buffing the negative effects of fouling seems like the best solution for everyone.

I disagree because this would be too subjective and too advantageous if a shooting foul is called and the team keep the ball as well. There's almost always enough contact on post ups to call a foul, so I can't see such a rule being strictly enforced from game to game and even from one situation within a game to another. Someone will get burnt badly.

I think the bigger problem regarding bigs is that everything is allowed under the basket - pushing, shoving... even before the big gets the ball, while a slasher attacking or a shooter cannot be touched on the pinkie even after releasing the ball. There has to be a bit of middle ground because there are more players shooting 40% from 3 than bigs scoring 40% from post ups and it's ugly.

UZER
11-18-2017, 11:45 AM
And there was another play last night. Kyle was robbed of his and one. The refs already have a lot of influence. This just gives them more.

It's the NFLs version of catch no-catch.

I'm telling you, this rule is going to ruin a big playoff swinging game. Someone's going to he robbed of points, or given the and -1 to help them win, and the warriors will benefit either way.

phxspurfan
11-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Rule is corny. LeBron still gets those massive travel and 1s