10-17-2005, 10:39 PM
wtf?

ducks
10-17-2005, 10:41 PM
they do not seem clutch to me

buy the way whitesox shoud spank either team

Solid D
10-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Since when did Lidge decide to throw BP to Pujols?

Marcus Bryant
10-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Unreal. That was right over the plate. Someone needs to check Lidge's bookie.

ShoogarBear
10-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Why is Nolan Ryan smiling?

Because his choke job in 1980 is now forgotten.

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 10:56 PM
I don't know... This might amplify it. If the Astros choke, suddenly they're the new "cursed" team and Nolan Ryan will be Chapter 1.

Marcus Bryant
10-18-2005, 12:37 AM
Fuck it.

Did the Spurs lose the 2003 WCF series after blowing Game 5 at home? Fuck no.

Am I drinking J&B straight tonight? Fuck yes.

:makemyday

IcemanCometh
10-18-2005, 01:21 AM
dis-astros

samikeyp
10-18-2005, 07:36 AM
Choke City rears its ugly head. Still, its not over, the Astros have a chance to redeem themselves.

CharlieMac
10-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Oilers did a wonderful job of prepping Houston for major post-season choking. They'll handle this fine.

MiNuS
10-18-2005, 11:00 AM
They have two more chances and Pettite hasn't won in this series.I like Oswalt's chances to pull it off.

If not it wasn't meant to be.

King
10-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Not every loss is a choke job. A good pitcher ran into a better hitter. Pujols is probably the best in the game - giving up a moon shot to him isn't a choke. Sucks, sure - but give credit where it's due.

One strike away hurts - but they were also facing the best player on the best team.

Spurminator
10-18-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm not one to throw around words like "choke job" very often, and I agree that Pujols is the most dangerous hitter in the game, but if I had to define a choke job it would be an instance where a player plays well below his usual standard during a pressure moment.

After Eckstein got on base, Brad Lidge was not himself. Not even close. He lost control of his pitches to Edmonds and he served up a flat slider to Pujols right in his wheelhouse. Those were not Brad Lidge pitches. So in that sense, I do think Lidge choked.

Then again, Lidge has done too much for the Astros in the past two years for Astros fans to turn on him now.

Solid D
10-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Spurminator, we are on the same wavelength. Lidge lost it mentally when Eckstein hit that seeing-eye single. (Sometimes I think it's better to send the cheese down the middle on Eckstein than pick the corners on him) Brad was totally gripping when he almost took out Edmonds' ribs inside with that fastball. No control whatsoever.

I don't know what Phil Garner said to Lidge but it didn't help him mentally. Sometimes when someone says "whatever you do, don't throw it over the plate on this guy" - that is exactly what sticks in a person's subconscious mind. I hope that's not what Garner said, but never-the-less that sliddy that Lidge served up to Pujols looked like a batting practice lob. Total mind psyche mush...and Pujols = Barry Bonds in that situation.

I am an eternal optimist but the sports psychologist in me says this series is the Cardinal's to lose, now. If the Astros can pull it together, once again, it will be amazing. If they don't, I think its a crying shame that Baggy and Bige got within one pitch of going to their first World Series.

MiNuS
10-18-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm not one to throw around words like "choke job" very often, and I agree that Pujols is the most dangerous hitter in the game, but if I had to define a choke job it would be an instance where a player plays well below his usual standard during a pressure moment.

After Eckstein got on base, Brad Lidge was not himself. Not even close. He lost control of his pitches to Edmonds and he served up a flat slider to Pujols right in his wheelhouse. Those were not Brad Lidge pitches. So in that sense, I do think Lidge choked.

Then again, Lidge has done too much for the Astros in the past two years for Astros fans to turn on him now.
I don't think he choked and who cares about the last two years when he has 1
O-n-e out to take this team to its first WS!!! If the the 'stros don't win this series,everyone is going to remember Lidge choked.Plain and simple.

Spurminator
10-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Spurminator, we are on the same wavelength. Lidge lost it mentally when Eckstein hit that seeing-eye single. (Sometimes I think it's better to send the cheese down the middle on Eckstein than pick the corners on him) Brad was totally gripping when he almost took out Edmonds' ribs inside with that fastball. No control whatsoever.

I don't know what Phil Garner said to Lidge but it didn't help him mentally. Sometimes when someone says "whatever you do, don't throw it over the plate on this guy" - that is exactly what sticks in a person's subconscious mind. I hope that's not what Garner said, but never-the-less that sliddy that Lidge served up to Pujols looked like a batting practice lob. Total mind psyche mush...and Pujols = Barry Bonds in that situation.

I am an eternal optimist but the sports psychologist in me says this series is the Cardinal's to lose, now. If the Astros can pull it together, once again, it will be amazing. If they don't, I think its a crying shame that Baggy and Bige got within one pitch of going to their first World Series.

Garner said he basically told Lidge to just make his pitches and not to give in to Pujols. He said it was okay to walk him.

ShoogarBear
10-18-2005, 12:29 PM
The most telling thing to me is I have yet to see a quote from Lidge yet. That's not good.

Spurminator
10-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Here you go Shoog...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/18/AR2005101800024.html

Lidge Is Off Key, but Faces the Music
Pujols's Home Run A Stunning Blow Off Formidable Closer

By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, October 18, 2005; Page E11

HOUSTON, Oct. 17 -- When the music blared through the speakers at Minute Maid Park, thumping and grating over 43,470 pairs of ears, the game was over, the pennant was won, and the Houston Astros were going to the World Series. Brad Lidge, Houston's fearsome and forceful closer, entered to his chosen music, "The Game" by the heavy metal band Disturbed, indicating that he would finish things off, because that is exactly what he does against the St. Louis Cardinals each and every time.

"I was getting ready to run out on the field just like everyone else was in the dugout," Houston reliever Mike Gallo said, "because we had that game."

When Lidge, handed a two-run lead in the ninth inning of Game 5 of the National League Championship Series, struck out pinch hitter John Rodriguez, the Astros had that game. When he followed with a strikeout of pinch hitter John Mabry, the Astros had that game. They had Lidge, and that was enough.

"We have so much confidence in the guy," Gallo said. "And we still do."

The Astros said such things, wide-eyed and disbelieving, after Game 5 because the surest thing in baseball -- Lidge against the Cardinals -- went the other way. Houston's stud closer allowed a ground ball single to David Eckstein, a walk to Jim Edmonds, and a monstrous, series-saving home run to Albert Pujols, the ingredients in a 5-4 Cardinals' victory that will always be remembered for Lidge's collapse, so unexpected.

"It's unfortunate that it happened," Lidge said, his voice loud, not shying away from the blame. "But tomorrow, it's going to be gone. If I thought any other way, I wouldn't be closing."

Lidge dutifully explained how he hung a 1-0 slider to the powerful Pujols, who launched it on a majestic arc deep to left field, a no-doubt-about-it shot that changed the nature of the postseason. That Pujols came through with the hit that prolonged the series was hardly shocking, considering his enormous ability. That it came against Lidge was nothing short of stunning.

On May 29, 2003, Lidge gave up three runs to the Cardinals, and no one took much note. He wasn't yet a star, still a year from taking over the closer's role. But when he made his next appearance against the Cardinals that September, he began a remarkable streak. In 22 appearances spanning 29 1/3 innings, he didn't allow a run, and the Cardinals managed just six hits, a batting average of .065.

But earlier in the NLCS, there appeared a chink. Mabry hit an RBI double off Lidge in Game 3, something of a confidence booster in the Astros' 4-3 win.

And then, the shocking events of Monday, when Lidge was one good pitch to Pujols away from bringing the pennant to Houston. He got Pujols to flail at a slider in the dirt for strike one. Then, "I tried to repeat the same pitch," Lidge said. Pujols nailed it. The series is now different, as are, perhaps, the Cardinals' feelings about Houston's closer.

If the Astros have a lead in Game 6 on Wednesday, Lidge will be called upon again. At Busch Stadium, there will be no Disturbed pumping through the speakers. Still, he could draw on the familiar lyrics.

" Tell me exactly what am I supposed to do

Now that I have allowed you to beat me

Do you think that we could play another game?

Maybe I could win this time "

"If I get out there again," Lidge said, "I'll have the confidence I can get it done."

Cant_Be_Faded
10-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Fuck it.

Did the Spurs lose the 2003 WCF series after blowing Game 5 at home? Fuck no.

Am I drinking J&B straight tonight? Fuck yes.

:makemyday

LOL

Jimcs50
10-18-2005, 03:09 PM

The problen with Eckstein's at bat was not with Lidge, but with the defense being played on him.

They had Ensberg playing on the line instead of in the gap. Yes, I know that they wanted to prevent a double, but the way Eckstein chokes up on the bat, he only tries to put the ball in play and get on base, he is not trying to drive anything. Also they basically gave him 2nd base anyway on his steal attempt, so WTF were they playing the anti-double defense????

Had Berkman been in the gap like he should have been, Eckstein would have been out at 1st on his hit.

Solid D
10-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Berkman was playing first base. You mean Ensberg don't you?

Jimcs50
10-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Berkman was playing first base. You mean Ensberg don't you?

yes...sorry...have lance on my brain.

Solid D
10-18-2005, 10:37 PM
yes...sorry...have lance on my brain.

Better to have lance on your brain than to have to have your brain lanced.

I think tlong had to have that procedure done, didn't he?

Sportcamper
10-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Well it looks like the bird flu may have jumped to humans... Last night a number of Astro fans became ill after coming into contact with Cardinals...

Solid D
10-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Well it looks like the bird flu may have jumped to humans... Last night a number of Astro fans became ill after coming into contact with Cardinals...

:) How about this one? The Astros will just have to play with the Cards they were dealt.

easjer
10-19-2005, 02:42 PM
I kept telling people they were tempting fate. You would think they would have learned last year after Game 5 when everyone in Houston was screaming about one game away! but nope - they tempted fate again. I knew they lost it when Eckstein hit that run. Because they were celebrating in the dugout. Tempting fate.

I told everyone at work that they now know how that .4 felt. They've agreed. Heh.

I think the 'stros will pull it together tonight, and if not, then they deserve to lose the series (true, they will have one more go at it). That's all there is to it. But I put $$ on 6 games, so I'm optimistic.

Horry For 3!
10-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Game 6 made up for Game 5 :)

Game 6.... Pujols 0-4 1K

OWNED

Solid D
10-19-2005, 11:36 PM
It's an amazing performance!!!

Holy Toledo!

ducks
10-26-2005, 09:10 AM
amzing how many runners they left on base last night in extra innings

Mixability
10-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Oilers did a wonderful job of prepping Houston for major post-season choking. They'll handle this fine.

:lol

cherylsteele
10-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Why is Nolan Ryan smiling?

Because his choke job in 1980 is now forgotten.
I remember that series....Nolan Ryan had a lead of 5-3 (I think), the relievers choked....not Ryan.