PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip when you do carryout at a restaraunt?

InRareForm
11-08-2017, 01:41 PM
not at a fast food place, but at an actual restaurant.

I usually leave a dollar at least.

IronMexican
11-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I'll tip two bucks, usually. Maybe more if I'm a regular and dine in

The Gemini Method
11-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Normally I do, though the last time I did that I got into a discussion about it and ended up withdrawing the tip. It was a brand new gastropub and they were just excited to have the business. But in general, I'll leave a tip.

Darth_Pelican
11-08-2017, 02:18 PM
not at a fast food place, but at an actual restaurant.

I usually leave a dollar at least.

If the restaurant doesn't charge a carryout fee or a boxing fee, then I will tip. If they do, then fuck em.

Blake
11-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Yeah but I'm never sure how much to give. I feel like in general giving the same amount as the waiter is too much.

But if they offer a drink or throw in something extra while I'm waiting, I'll give em that extra amount.

DeadlyDynasty
11-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Nah

baseline bum
11-08-2017, 02:52 PM
No. Why would you ever tip on carryout? You tip to pay for service. If I'm getting carryout there is no one checking on my drink, clearing my table, etc. If I was going to tip for someone handing me something across the counter then I might as well tip at McDonalds, the pharmacy, the ice house, and so on.

Robz4000
11-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Nah

No. Why would you ever tip on carryout? You tip to pay for service. If I'm getting carryout there is no one checking on my drink, clearing my table, etc. If I was going to tip for someone handing me something across the counter then I might as well tip at McDonalds, the pharmacy, the ice house, and so on.

11-08-2017, 03:13 PM
:lol tipping
:lol murikans

Trill Clinton
11-08-2017, 03:26 PM
of coursehttp://i68.tinypic.com/154w0lc.jpg

Blake
11-08-2017, 04:04 PM
That'll teach em for working the to-go counter instead of the air down tables

DeadlyDynasty
11-08-2017, 04:35 PM
That'll teach em for working the to-go counter instead of the air down tables
I don't go out of my way to pay people for simply existing, although that's what my taxes do.

Blake
11-08-2017, 04:58 PM
They're taking your order and bringing you your food. The only difference is that they don't check up on you while you're eating and refill your glass.

Blake
11-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Tbh, I really don't give a shit if you do or don't. The whole tip thing is a crock die to cheap ass restaurant owners that don't even want to pay minimum wage.

I've worked as a waiter, they work hard, I know how it is so I give em a few bucks. Big deal.

dabom
11-08-2017, 05:02 PM
They're taking your order and bringing you your food. The only difference is that they don't check up on you while you're eating and refill your glass.

Sounds like every fast food restaurant. :lmao

dabom
11-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Nah

Blake
11-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Sounds like every fast food restaurant. :lmao

Except fast food joints pay minimum wages. Afaik, nicer restaurants still don't.

dabom
11-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Except fast food joints pay minimum wages. Afaik, nicer restaurants still don't.

That's not my fault. The take down the order and handing it to me are part of the service I should have already paid for. If not you can get the fuck out. :lol

DeadlyDynasty
11-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Are you trolling? Unless the game has changed in the last 20 years I'm pretty sure they just sit behind a touch screen and bag your food when it's ready. Are you tipping fast-food cashiers as well?

EDIT: dabom beat me to it.

Blake
11-08-2017, 05:08 PM
The take down the order and handing it to me are part of the service I should have already paid for.

Sounds like every waiter in every dining establishment ever

dabom
11-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Are you trolling? Unless the game has changed in the last 20 years I'm pretty sure they just sit behind a touch screen and bag your food when it's ready. Are you tipping fast-food cashiers as well?

EDIT: dabom beat me to it.

The guy is a beta. Let him be. :lol

baseline bum
11-08-2017, 05:19 PM
So do you guys also tip at restaurants where you go to the counter to order and then walk and pick your shit up when they call your number?

Blake
11-08-2017, 05:22 PM
So do you guys also tip at restaurants where you go to the counter to order and then walk and pick your shit up when they call your number?

They're making minimum wage

baseline bum
11-08-2017, 05:25 PM
They're making minimum wage

But the cashier at the restaurant who hands me my shit to go doesn't?

Chucho
11-08-2017, 05:33 PM
I almost always call in anything I take out and never tip. The chefs/cooks did more work and they never get tipped. Dude takes 30 seconds to ring me up and hand me my food and I'm gone. You can't compare it to the people working the tables who have to do much more than that and be super friendly to maximize their earnings.

Blake
11-08-2017, 05:41 PM
But the cashier at the restaurant who hands me my shit to go doesn't?

I don't know. I'd like to know tho.

When I go to olive garden take out, the chick seems like a waitress running back and forth, usually gets me a peach tea or something while waiting.

Blake
11-08-2017, 05:44 PM
The guy is a beta. Let him be. :lol

Drawing that zero in the tip line must make you feel extra alpha huh

Why is this bothering you guys that much :lol

dabom
11-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Drawing that zero in the tip line must make you feel extra alpha huh

Why is this bothering you guys that much :lol

I don't feel "pressured" to tip because I ain't a beta pussy. The person handing my food knows the deal too. I ain't hurting their feelings. If they do, they're gonna have a bad time. :lol

UZER
11-08-2017, 05:50 PM
I hate when restaurants with drive-thrus, not fast food, have the stupid tip line on the ticket at the window. I have to draw a line through it to make sure nothing gets written in.

But then I have to give it back to them before getting my food and they close the window. I'm always thinking, "ah shit, they're going to see no tip and jack up my order on purpose."

dabom
11-08-2017, 05:50 PM
I tip good actually when I do get service at a restaurant or go to the bar or club. I don't mind tipping. But there has to be a service in exchange. Giving me my food is part of the order, beta. :lmao

Chucho
11-08-2017, 05:51 PM
I ain't hurting their feelings. If they do, they're gonna have a bad time. :lol

LOL, how so?

Blake
11-08-2017, 05:51 PM
I don't feel "pressured" to tip because I ain't a beta pussy. The person handing my food knows the deal too. I ain't hurting their feelings. If they do, they're gonna have a bad time. :lol

So you never tip at all anywhere.

dabom
11-08-2017, 05:52 PM
LOL, how so?

A lot of people don't tip at the pick up counter. If you get mad at one person for not tipping, guess what, it's gonna happen more often then not. :lol

dabom
11-08-2017, 05:53 PM
So you never tip at all anywhere.

I tip good actually when I do get service at a restaurant or go to the bar or club. I don't mind tipping. But there has to be a service in exchange. Giving me my food is part of the order, beta. :lmao

:lmao

Blake

Yeah, again, what exactly does a waiter do for you that you give them a tip, low-rent alpha?

Chucho
A lot of people don't tip at the pick up counter. If you get mad at one person for not tipping, guess what, it's gonna happen more often then not. :lol

Gotcha. Thought you were gonna respond with a fake tough guy response like you'd do something.

dabom
11-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Yeah, again, what exactly does a waiter do for you that you give them a tip, low-rent alpha?

Provide a service faggot. You didn't get that? :lmao

dabom
Gotcha. Thought you were gonna respond with a fake tough guy response like you'd do something.

:tu

Blake
:lmao

Ultimate low rent alpha

Blake
11-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Provide a service faggot. You didn't get that? :lmao

Yeah, why are you being a beta pussy about answering what kind of extra service you're getting that deserves your $3

dabom
11-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Ultimate low rent alpha

Just give everyone free money then faggot. That's what you're debating. :lmao

Blake
11-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Yeah, why are you being a beta pussy about answering what kind of extra service you're getting that deserves your $3

Blake
11-08-2017, 05:58 PM

Yeah he back pedaled off that alpha post pretty quick

dabom

It's the principal faggot. I don't give free money to anyone. :lol

That's what you're advocating. It's not the amount. :lmao

dabom
Yeah he back pedaled off that alpha post pretty quick

You have a comprehension problem, faggot. :lmao

Blake
11-08-2017, 06:45 PM
It's the principal faggot. I don't give free money to anyone. :lol

That's what you're advocating. It's not the amount. :lmao

Lol the principle.

You've never even thought about how little your waiter really does. It's just starting to sink in huh

dabom
11-08-2017, 06:55 PM
Lol the principle.

You've never even thought about how little your waiter really does. It's just starting to sink in huh

Nah, they ain't getting shit. :lol

11-08-2017, 07:00 PM
Just give everyone free money then faggot. That's what you're debating. :lmao
I wonder if he tipped the nigga his wife cucked him with for fucking her real good :lol

Xevious
11-08-2017, 07:08 PM
If I call in an order somewhere, then walk up to the counter and pick up my pre-bagged food... who am I tipping exactly?

baseline bum
11-08-2017, 07:21 PM
If I call in an order somewhere, then walk up to the counter and pick up my pre-bagged food... who am I tipping exactly?

Yeah no shit. Putting my food in a bag isn't tip worthy.

Blake
11-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Nah, they ain't getting shit. :lol

Yeah they are. You're paying someone (benefit of doubt) 20% for someone to take your order, push a few buttons, bring your meal and give you the bill.

Blake
11-08-2017, 07:32 PM
Yeah no shit. Putting my food in a bag isn't tip worthy.

But if they pick up the plate, walk around the counter to give it to you, yes.

Blake
11-08-2017, 07:32 PM
Lol at you guys ranting over a few bucks

dabom
11-08-2017, 07:45 PM
I wonder if he tipped the nigga his wife cucked him with for fucking her real good :lol

Something like $3. :lol

dabom
11-08-2017, 07:51 PM
Lol at you guys ranting over a few bucks

Call this guy Richie Rich, guys. Big spender. :lmao

dabom
11-08-2017, 07:54 PM
New thread title, "I tip bums because I'm a beta and I'm afraid they might frown me. :cry, anyone else?" :lmao

Blake
11-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Lol terrible zingers

Chucho
11-08-2017, 08:14 PM
New thread title, "I tip bums because I'm a beta and I'm afraid they might frown me. :cry, anyone else?" :lmao

Teehee.

Joseph Kony
11-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Fuck no, why would I tip because someone in the back made my food and put it in a to go box so a cashier could hand it to me? unless i'm getting waited on or its delivery i aint tipping your ass.

DeadlyDynasty
11-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Blake, I'm not drawing parallels to manliness or trying to big-time these people, but your argument really makes no sense. When you carry out an order it's a simple over-the-counter transaction. If you wanna get there early, wait, and chat up the cashier while she gives you peach tea, then I do think a small tip is warranted...but when I carry out I just go in and pick up my food, and leave within a minute of entering. I don't see how that deserves a tip, and if your argument is "they make minimum wage," then you should probably be tipping every customer service transaction you come across.

Blake
11-08-2017, 08:47 PM
K, someone/anyone explain in detail what the waiter does for you that warrants you giving them and them alone 20% of your total.

Blake
11-08-2017, 08:49 PM
I'm not here to small time/big time anyone either. Just trying to get a sense of where we're at with the logic of it all.

Shit, seems like it wasn't that long ago nobody tipped the hair cutters. Now it's a regular thing too.

dabom
11-08-2017, 08:51 PM
K, someone/anyone explain in detail what the waiter does for you that warrants you giving them and them alone 20% of your total.

You're the one going with this, explain.

Blake
11-08-2017, 08:54 PM
You're the one going with this, explain.

I already did

Mitch
11-08-2017, 08:56 PM
I'll tip delivery and good service, has to be good service since CA isn't a state that pays that tipped wage BS so they have to earn those tips. Carryout, though, no... who am I tipping there, the cashier lady who just shows guests to tables and rings people up? I tipped on carryout once because the woman noticed the order felt light and told me to check if it was the right one, turned out somebody mixed it up so she saved me a hassle since I was in a hurry.

About tipping, though, I hear some states don't pay waiters a fed/state minimum because of some dumb tipped salary deal, here's a map (maybe outdated) of where it's practiced
https://consumermediallc.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/wagemap.png

DeadlyDynasty
11-08-2017, 08:59 PM
I already did
No, you didn't...you keep evading the question. Your argument is that a cashier performs the same job as a waiter. So let's assume for a second that's correct. With that logic, why aren't you tipping everybody who hands you food or provides other effortless services?

dabom
11-08-2017, 09:00 PM
I already did

We're talking about carryout tipping. And you're talking about some thing else entirely. :lmao

Blake
11-08-2017, 09:02 PM

They being the person behind the counter.

Apparently that counter is the one thing that makes the difference between 0 and 20% because you guys can't come up with anything else.

Avante
11-08-2017, 09:04 PM
When we go out to eat I leave a tip for our waitress.... if...... she was good. That is the only tipping I do.

Blake
11-08-2017, 09:05 PM
No, you didn't...you keep evading the question. Your argument is that a cashier performs the same job as a waiter. So let's assume for a second that's correct. With that logic, why aren't you tipping everybody who hands you food or provides other effortless services?

There's no tip jar at McD''s and they make at least minimum wage. If there was a tip jar, I might leave something, I dunno.

As you can see from chart, Texas has a $2 per hour thing going for tip wages.

Does counter chick make real minimum or tip minimum? I guess that's the question. Does anyone here know?

Blake
11-08-2017, 09:06 PM
When we go out to eat I leave a tip for our waitress.... if...... she was good. That is the only tipping I do.

Yeah but Olangapo etc

dabom
11-08-2017, 09:07 PM
They being the person behind the counter.

Apparently that counter is the one thing that makes the difference between 0 and 20% because you guys can't come up with anything else.

Waiters and busboys have to clean that table. Get all the plates. Serve you drinks. Refills. Maybe even serve alcohol. That's on top of serving you, able to fix any complaints on the food. And be able to converse.

That's the 20% difference, faggot. :lmao

Blake
11-08-2017, 09:08 PM
We're talking about carryout tipping. And you're talking about some thing else entirely. :lmao

Do you tip at Starbucks?

Avante
Yeah but Olangapo etc

Dude, you don't have a clue about any of that over there do ya?

dabom
Do you tip at Starbucks?

Not at the drive through. :lmao

Blake
Waiters and busboys have to clean that table. Get all the plates. Serve you drinks. Refills. Maybe even serve alcohol. That's on top of serving you, able to fix any complaints on the food. And be able to converse.

That's the 20% difference, faggot. :lmao

You tip the busboy? And the bartender?

dabom
11-08-2017, 09:10 PM
You tip the busboy? And the bartender?

The busboys sometimes take a ratio of the waitress tips. Sometimes the cook too, faggot. :lmao

Blake
11-08-2017, 09:10 PM
Not at the drive through. :lmao

The difference is because you're in your car?

Blake
11-08-2017, 09:11 PM
The busboys sometimes take a ratio of the waitress tips. Sometimes the cook too, faggot. :lmao

K, why wouldn't that be the case at the to-go counter, genius?

You think the counter chick is hoarding the tips?

dabom
11-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Does this faggot like getting owned or something? :lol

Setting himself up here. :lol

dabom
11-08-2017, 09:12 PM
K, why wouldn't that be the case at the to-go counter, genius?

You think the counter chick is hoarding the tips?

They don't need to do that shit if I pick up dumbass. :lmao

Blake
11-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Lol dabom

dabom
11-08-2017, 09:13 PM
You picked the wrong person, son. :lol

Avante
11-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Does this faggot like getting owned or something? :lol

Setting himself up here. :lol

As you are seeing this Blake idiot is a sad individual. But, fun to troll.

Tell him.....you will be ignored....and here he comes following you around like a little freak, hahahaha~~~

resistanze
11-08-2017, 09:24 PM

tbh. North American tipping culture is beyond idiotic.

IronMexican
11-08-2017, 09:32 PM
of coursehttp://i68.tinypic.com/154w0lc.jpg

Who are you fooling

Xevious
11-08-2017, 09:53 PM
tbh. North American tipping culture is beyond idiotic.
I've posed this question before (and of course got reemed for it). Why is restaurant tipping traditionally based on check balance? Shouldn't it be based on size of party, quality of service, how knowledgeable/personable said waitress is, etc? For example. I can take my family to Chili's or Rainforest Cafe and get the same quality slop served to me by the same waitress at the same speed and have vastly different check balances. You pay extra for the touristy atmosphere at Rainforest Cafe. Not sure why the waitress gets a larger cut also (I still tip more, I just always wondered what for).

Now there are some restaurants that the wife and I go to on special occasions where large tips are warrented as the level of service is that much greater.

FkLA
11-08-2017, 09:55 PM

I don't know if it's changed or if it's different at actual restaurants, but I delivered pizzas for Pizza Hut back in the day and waitresses only made like 3/hr (minimum wage at the time was like 6.55 or something). They got bumped up to 6.55/hr only if their tips for the day+3/hr didn't add up to atleast minimum wage.

Everyone else got 6.55 or more per hr at all times. So it made sense that they needed more generous tips to make the amount of money in a given day that we did as drivers since we got tips and minimum wage at all times.

chunticakes
11-08-2017, 10:02 PM

FUCK! You beat me to the punch :lol

Always doing the Lord's work 140 :toast

Chucho
11-08-2017, 10:26 PM
Who are you fooling

:lol

Chucho
11-08-2017, 10:26 PM
LOL Blake.

Down Under
11-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Just pay living wages. You can have a waiter earning hundreds of bucks a night for working just as hard and with the same skillset as someone at McDonalds or a supermarket.

resistanze
11-08-2017, 11:14 PM
I've posed this question before (and of course got reemed for it). Why is restaurant tipping traditionally based on check balance? Shouldn't it be based on size of party, quality of service, how knowledgeable/personable said waitress is, etc? For example. I can take my family to Chili's or Rainforest Cafe and get the same quality slop served to me by the same waitress at the same speed and have vastly different check balances. You pay extra for the touristy atmosphere at Rainforest Cafe. Not sure why the waitress gets a larger cut also (I still tip more, I just always wondered what for).

Now there are some restaurants that the wife and I go to on special occasions where large tips are warrented as the level of service is that much greater.

I don't know, there a million different reasons given for tipping habits, but a ton of studies just point to arbitrary factors people use to assess their tipping amount (physical attractiveness, age, race, gender).

Even if people were able to impartially assess their tipping practices, why am I giving a fucking performance review every time I go eat? Why is it my job to incentivize the staff and not the restaurant's? I don't give a shit if I have to pay more money for a meal to make up for a real living wage - if the service is bad in the restaurant I'll complain or won't go again. It's one of the bizarre practices that continues to endure (even though its vanished from Europe, the creators of tipping). I've found it much better to dine virtually anywhere else on earth tbh.

DMC
11-08-2017, 11:52 PM
If I am paying with a corporate card I do. If not, then it depends. Often I will tip a few dollars regardless.

baseline bum
11-09-2017, 01:20 PM

Yeah tipping a percentage is retarded but it's expected so it's what I do independent of the cost of my meal.

JudynTX
11-16-2017, 02:13 PM
What the fuck for? They are doing their job.

SpursforSix
11-16-2017, 03:11 PM
I always ask them, "do you want the tip or do you want the shaft?"

SpursforSix
11-16-2017, 03:13 PM
What the fuck for? They are doing their job.

so are waitresses but you tip them right?

in some restaurants, the hostess or bartender has to prep the to go orders. Making salads, putting together chips and salsa, soup, etc.