PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Van Exel finding his way through new system, city

Kori Ellis
10-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Van Exel finding his way through new system, city
Web Posted: 10/18/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101805.9D.spurs.vanexel.d7dca0f.html

INDIANAPOLIS — As he shuttled from Dallas to Golden State to Portland the past three seasons, Nick Van Exel had little reason to learn San Antonio's highway system. Any trip he made to the SBC Center was a quick three-mile ride from downtown aboard the visiting team's bus.

So, when it came time to drive to the Spurs' arena for the first time Saturday night, Van Exel left early. Just not early enough.

"I went the wrong way," he said. "So I'm still figuring some things out."

Van Exel will be happy if navigating San Antonio's streets is his biggest worry. After spending the past two years with a pair of franchises in the midst of extensive rebuilding projects, the 13-year veteran signed with the Spurs for what may be his final chance at winning a championship.

The transition, Van Exel said, won't be an overnight process.

"You have to get familiar with the roles, you have to get familiar with the system, you have to get to know your teammates and the coaches and the way things are run around here," he said. "It's pretty much like being a rookie all over again."

While Van Exel will probably play fewer minutes than he's accustomed, he has plenty of experience coming off the bench. The Warriors and Trail Blazers both used him as an occasional starter. Of the 73 games he played with Dallas during the 2002-03 season, all but one came as a reserve.

"I've sacrificed probably the last four or five years," Van Exel said. "This is nothing new for me."

The Spurs know as much, having seen firsthand the type of jolt Van Exel provides. Two seasons ago with Golden State, he came off the bench to score 29 points against the Spurs. His 3-pointer with just under 19.2 seconds remaining gave the Warriors the upset victory.

"Nick is Nick," Popovich said after the game with a sigh. "He loves that mano-y-mano stuff. He's one of the best at it."

Van Exel's coolness under pressure also was evident during the 2003 playoffs when he averaged 19.5 points — seven more than he averaged in the regular season — to help Dallas reach the Western Conference finals. Although the Spurs went on to win the series thanks to Steve Kerr's own clutch shooting, Van Exel scared them, scoring 12 fourth-quarter points as the Mavericks rallied from a 19-point deficit to win Game 5.

Van Exel is expected to begin the season backing up Tony Parker, though he also figures to occasionally eat into Parker's minutes at the end of games. Beno Udrih's inexperience, along with Parker's annual playoff struggles, helped spur the team to search for a dependable veteran point guard.

At the least, the Spurs hope Van Exel, who turns 34 next month, and Michael Finley will give the team a more prolific reserve unit. The bench's inability to provide consistent scoring last season eventually led Popovich to use Manu Ginobili as a reserve for part of the playoffs.

Van Exel and Finley "understand what kind of team we are and the kind of basketball we play and they want to fit into that kind of team," Tim Duncan said. "That's the best part about it."

So far, Van Exel has been impressed by his new team's humility.

"There's not a lot of arrogance about them even though they've won three of the last (seven) championships — from the management on down to the players," he said. "That's unbelievable. When you win championships, your head can get a little bigger, but these guys are very low-key and down to earth. I like that about them."

Van Exel also has learned this about the Spurs: "If you don't play defense," he said, "you don't play."

Although Van Exel never has been considered a strong defender, even when he was young and healthy, the same was said of Danny Ferry, Brent Barry and Kerr, all of whom survived in the Spurs' system.

"There are a few things I've already learned in training camp," Van Exel said of the team's defense, "that we've never done since I've been in the league."

His teammates have tried to help shorten the learning curve.

"Guys are always talking to me," he said. "Everybody wants to see me succeed."

Now if they can just find him a map.

usckk
10-18-2005, 12:18 AM
He's funny looking'

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 12:24 AM
But a good guy. I'm glad he came.

usckk
10-18-2005, 12:25 AM
But a good guy. I'm glad he came.
haha, of course.

Despot
10-18-2005, 12:28 AM
"I've sacrificed probably the last four or five years," Van Exel said. "This is nothing new for me."

You know, I am extremely happy to have Van Exel, I know he will contribute throughout the season, and pretty sure he will come up big in the postseason.
I understand that by coming here he accepted less minutes, and money, to come here, and I am greatfull for that, however it just seems like every article about him has a qoute from him saying he has sacrificed alot. I don't know why it bugs me, just getting old I guess. And yes, I know he allowed the last year of his contract to add a team option so that he could get to Dallas. But, that wasn't so selfless, it was a different time in his career, and I'm sure he never expected not to get paid that year, also Mark Cuban supposedly assured Nick that he would honor the final year.

Marcus Bryant
10-18-2005, 12:30 AM
Close-out unit

1 NVE
2 Manu
3 Bowen
4 Horry
5 Duncan

:makemyday

T Park
10-18-2005, 12:32 AM
But a good guy.

Angel, I like Van Exel too.

But a guy who has done what hes done, and damn near killing someone in college? Sorry, that doesn't make them a "good guy"

The whole 1,2,3 Tahiti or whatever, the bumping the ref.

I like him as a player, but hes like Glenn Robinson, I have to ignore his real life side.

Despot
10-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Close-out unit

1 NVE
2 Manu
3 Bowen
4 Horry
5 Duncan

:makemyday

That will be so awesome :smokin
And that will probably right most games.
And the great thing is that all the players are so talented and rested, that Pop can get the best matchups.
The one thing that I want to stop, is losing big leads, with the bench we have, there will be no excuses.

Marcus Bryant
10-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Laura Bush killed someone, T Park.

Despot
10-18-2005, 12:38 AM

Whoa, are you serious?? never heard that.

Marcus Bryant
10-18-2005, 12:41 AM
Whoa, are you serious?? never heard that.

Yep. When she was a teenager she ran a stop sign and killed a fellow classmate.

T Park
10-18-2005, 01:39 AM

So running a stop sign and beating someone to near death are the same thing???

Your a lunatic.

Mr. Body
10-18-2005, 02:08 AM
Yep. When she was a teenager she ran a stop sign and killed a fellow classmate.

Not just a classmate. It was her boyfriend.

*cue spooky music*

MannyIsGod
10-18-2005, 02:18 AM
Angel, I like Van Exel too.

But a guy who has done what hes done, and damn near killing someone in college? Sorry, that doesn't make them a "good guy"

The whole 1,2,3 Tahiti or whatever, the bumping the ref.

I like him as a player, but hes like Glenn Robinson, I have to ignore his real life side.
How about you ignore the fact you don't know his real life side?

T Park
10-18-2005, 02:21 AM
Ohhh, so his beating that guy to near death was, something from his childhood's fault?

RIght.

I forgot, I have to feel sorry for him. my bad.

gospursgojas
10-18-2005, 02:22 AM
There was a Behind the Glory done about him...

I wish they would re-air it.

Hes a good guy that makes stupid desicions

MannyIsGod
10-18-2005, 02:22 AM
Ohhh, so his beating that guy to near death was, something from his childhood's fault?

RIght.

I forgot, I have to feel sorry for him. my bad. So, your witness statement to the event is on file with the police of course? I'd like to read it to get your point of view of what happend.

T Park
10-18-2005, 02:26 AM
You really want to go down that road chief??

I could throw alot of what YOUR saying right now back at you for about 90% of your "opinions"

I was not "witness" to it. But come on, the freakin thing was ALL OVER when he got drafted, it was documented by MANY witnesses.

So once again, you want to tell me how you justify a college kid nearly beating a defenseless guy to death?

Jesus H Christ.

MannyIsGod
10-18-2005, 02:35 AM
Where did I justify it? I haven't made one comment on Van Exels actions. The only comment I have made has been in reference to your inability to realize that the media doesn't portray things in an objective way in situations such as this. They seek to stir the pot as much as possible and get ratings off idiot suckers like you.

The fact of the matter is that you weren't there and you have no idea what actually happend. You may have an idea of what happend based on media representation but that is not an actual idea of what happend. That is a second hand interpretation.

But seeing as you can't even see that I was never addressing Van Exels actions but your opinion of them I don't think you will get my point.

Jesus H. Christ

Marcus Bryant
10-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Is there an African-American celebrity T Park will not hate on?

thispego
10-18-2005, 11:03 AM
damn, little van exel nearly beat someone to death? explain...