PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Dejounte Murray is an absolute steal

ambchang
11-12-2017, 03:00 PM
2nd last pick of the first round of the 2016 draft, 2nd year player, and he is putting up some decent numbers.

Dejounte Murray (DM):
Regular stats: 8.5ppg, 5.5 apg, 3.2 apg, 41.6 FG%, 50% 3pg, 73.5% FT%.
Per 100 stats: 19.2 points, 12.3 reb, 7.7 ast, 2.2 stls.
Advance stats aren't there yet, but 0.4w/s, 0.078 ws/48, -0.5bpm, 0.1 VORP.

Players picked this late in the 1st round aren't expected to be an average player in his 2nd year, but here he is.

Compare this to the second coming, aka 2nd pick in the 2017 draft:
Lonzo Ball (LB):
Regular stats: 9.7ppg, 6.8 apg, 7.4 apg, 31.4 FG%, 25% 3pg, 5:lol% FT%.
Per 100 stats: 13.4 points, 9.5 reb, 10.2 ast, 1.8 stls.
Advance stats aren't there yet, but 0.1w/s, 0.009 ws/48, 0bpm, 0.2 VORP.

Very comparable numbers overall, it's amazing how the Spurs were able to pull off a player similar to the Magic reincarnate in the late first round.

raybies
11-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Murray does a lot of stat padding in garbahge time to be fair. but he's gonna be good

DJR210
11-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Just wait til he fills into those shoulders

BatManu20
11-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Just turned 21 a couple months ago too. If he ever develops a reliable jumper, watch out.

SAGirl
11-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Murray does a lot of stat padding in garbahge time to be fair. but he's gonna be good
this. ^

Killakobe81
11-12-2017, 06:46 PM
2nd last pick of the first round of the 2016 draft, 2nd year player, and he is putting up some decent numbers.

Dejounte Murray (DM):
Regular stats: 8.5ppg, 5.5 apg, 3.2 apg, 41.6 FG%, 50% 3pg, 73.5% FT%.
Per 100 stats: 19.2 points, 12.3 reb, 7.7 ast, 2.2 stls.
Advance stats aren't there yet, but 0.4w/s, 0.078 ws/48, -0.5bpm, 0.1 VORP.

Players picked this late in the 1st round aren't expected to be an average player in his 2nd year, but here he is.

Compare this to the second coming, aka 2nd pick in the 2017 draft:
Lonzo Ball (LB):
Regular stats: 9.7ppg, 6.8 apg, 7.4 apg, 31.4 FG%, 25% 3pg, 5:lol% FT%.
Per 100 stats: 13.4 points, 9.5 reb, 10.2 ast, 1.8 stls.
Advance stats aren't there yet, but 0.1w/s, 0.009 ws/48, 0bpm, 0.2 VORP.

Very comparable numbers overall, it's amazing how the Spurs were able to pull off a player similar to the Magic reincarnate in the late first round.

Rookie vs 2nd year comparisons ...:lol

Mikeanaro
11-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Different situations to be honest.
Murray plays in a winning team limited minutes because Pop tries lineups and match ups, he was decent in the playoffs.
Lonzo was the second coming of Christ and so far is a bust, he plays all the minutes and has a horrible shot.

But having these facts we can say Murray is a steal.

ambchang
11-12-2017, 09:46 PM
Rookie vs 2nd year comparisons ...:lol

2nd last pick vs 2nd pick :lol

DAF86
11-13-2017, 01:00 AM

this. ^

Not really. Outside of this last Bulls game, tell me in which other game has he stat pad on garbage time? Last season Simmons was the king of stat padding on garbage time. He turned into a Kobe level ball-hog when games were decided. He wouldn't let anyone else get some numbers, tbh.

In contrast, Murray has his fare share of very good games against some stiff competition considering the fews chances he has got up to here. It comes to mind last season vs Cavs, Nugetts and Rockets in the playoffs and this season vs Wolves and Raptors.

SAGirl
11-13-2017, 08:53 AM
Not really. Outside of this last Bulls game, tell me in which other game has he stat pad on garbage time? Last season Simmons was the king of stat padding on garbage time. He turned into a Kobe level ball-hog when games were decided. He wouldn't let anyone else get some numbers, tbh.

In contrast, Murray has his fare share of very good games against some stiff competition considering the fews chances he has got up to here. It comes to mind last season vs Cavs, Nugetts and Rockets in the playoffs and this season vs Wolves and Raptors.
I agree on J.Simms. it bothered me back then bc there were rookies out if the rotation that got no playing time save those opportunities and J.Simms hogged the opportunities even when unlike others he was in the regular rotation. In retrospect it shows he was hungry for a larger featured scoring role and explains at least partly why he wanted to move on.

For Murray he started well and fizzled out once teams figured he cant shoot and wouldn't even attempt jumpshots.

The Boston and Magic games he basically didn't score until the 4 th Q same as that Bulls game. He disappeared against the Bucks, GSW, etc. He had been trending down by the time he got benched tbh. He's going to figure things out once he loses his fear to shoot.

whitemamba
11-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Who?

Killakobe81
11-13-2017, 02:00 PM
2nd last pick vs 2nd pick :lol

a year of weight training with pros alone makes a huge difference.

ambchang
11-13-2017, 06:45 PM
a year of weight training with pros alone makes a huge difference.

Isn’t lavar a professional trainer?

Killakobe81
11-13-2017, 07:06 PM
Isn’t lavar a professional trainer?

lol so You think he is the equal of Gunnar Peterson and Tim Grover?!
Training 15 year olds to compete in CIF is different than training grown men to deal with Giannis.

Killakobe81
11-13-2017, 07:08 PM
Btw i dont disagree murray is intriguing ...but comparing the two is pretty silly for the reasons stated above ...
Murray should be compared to his draft class and more specifically the one and done PG/SGs

ambchang
11-13-2017, 07:31 PM
lol so You think he is the equal of Gunnar Peterson and Tim Grover?!
Training 15 year olds to compete in CIF is different than training grown men to deal with Giannis.

Lavars the best. He just told you like he told you how his boys the best.

ambchang
11-13-2017, 07:32 PM
Btw i dont disagree murray is intriguing ...but comparing the two is pretty silly for the reasons stated above ...
Murray should be compared to his draft class and more specifically the one and done PG/SGs

Are you sure it’s not the one and done PGs drafted number 2 in this years draft? That would be totally apples to apples.

Killakobe81
11-13-2017, 07:34 PM
Are you sure it’s not the one and done PGs drafted number 2 in this years draft? That would be totally apples to apples.

huh?! In the words of my boy DPG ...that doesnt make any sense ...

ambchang
11-13-2017, 09:14 PM
huh?! In the words of my boy DPG ...that doesnt make any sense ...

It’s to make fun of you reducing the comparison population to nothing. So it makes perfect sense.

Killakobe81
11-13-2017, 11:55 PM
It’s to make fun of you reducing the comparison population to nothing. So it makes perfect sense.

When you gotta explain the joke ...nevamind.
....and how is 2nd year PG and SGs a poulation of nothing?

ambchang
11-14-2017, 08:02 AM
When you gotta explain the joke ...nevamind.
....and how is 2nd year PG and SGs a poulation of nothing?

Can’t help if you can’t get it.

And how many one and done guards are there in this years class again? Besides, a 2nd pick putting up numbers of a 29th pick is a bust by any measure.

Killakobe81
11-14-2017, 11:41 AM
Can’t help if you can’t get it.

And how many one and done guards are there in this years class again? Besides, a 2nd pick putting up numbers of a 29th pick is a bust by any measure.

not gonna go back and forth because i agree on the "steal" disagree on the bust ...cuz its to early so we shall just move along. its not like im arguing just wait, Zo is a star ...just that its early and that murray has a year on Lonzo ...btw what were murrays numbers after 13 games last year? That would make sense to compare ...

SAGirl
11-14-2017, 01:09 PM
not gonna go back and forth because i agree on the "steal" disagree on the bust ...cuz its to early so we shall just move along. its not like im arguing just wait, Zo is a star ...just that its early and that murray has a year on Lonzo ...btw what were murrays numbers after 13 games last year? That would make sense to compare ...
You can't really compare bc he'd be in for a minute or two with a garbage time lineup, sometimes with Jsimms hogging the ball.
He had a few great early games when he played real minutes. I remember at one point he was ranked 2nd in the rookie power rankings right behind Embiid, after cooking Kyrie Irving in a nationally televised game against the Cavs. Of course right after that game, Tony came back from an injury and he was sent down to the gleague and right out of the radar. It's tough being a rook playing for Pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erffaiamRVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-b_8Sj5wLI

He already looks so much better than he did there. He is stronger and defensively he's better as he understands Pop's schemes better than he did last year.

8FOR!3
11-14-2017, 01:22 PM
Murray won't be 25 for another 4 years, that's a long time for a player who's already getting close to earning some minutes here and there with his upside to develop into a star.

ambchang
11-14-2017, 05:45 PM

You mean I should compare Lonzo to a guy who played his 13th game of the season when the season was already 30 games old because he logged 17 DNP caochs decision? A guy who had two games with over 10 minutes and 4 games under a minute in that 13 game span? Not a lot of confidence in your saviour.

BD24
11-15-2017, 08:45 AM
God damn, I didn't realize that nigga Lonzos fg% was so bad. Holy fuck:lol

Kobe needs to be worried that lil nigga is coming for his brick record.

Killakobe81
11-15-2017, 02:39 PM
You mean I should compare Lonzo to a guy who played his 13th game of the season when the season was already 30 games old because he logged 17 DNP caochs decision? A guy who had two games with over 10 minutes and 4 games under a minute in that 13 game span? Not a lot of confidence in your saviour.

he is not my saviour just a young kid with talent ...nothing more, nothing less

Stabula
11-16-2017, 04:03 PM
God damn, I didn't realize that nigga Lonzos fg% was so bad. Holy fuck:lol

Kobe needs to be worried that lil nigga is coming for his brick record.

StrengthAndHonor
10-08-2018, 02:47 PM
https://i.giphy.com/media/q9HHyHPISNZD2/giphy.gif

spurraider21
10-08-2018, 03:29 PM
:lol damn

DJR210
10-08-2018, 04:56 PM
The pain Murray must have felt moments after the tear is nothing in comparison to that of being a Clippers fan :lol

Bynumite
10-08-2018, 05:35 PM
Remember spurfan scoffed at a package of Ingram, Lonzo and Hart :lol

Now your starting pg is a cripple. Harsh times.

Lakers now offer a bag of doritos and Alex Caruso for Murray and that's it.

KnicksInHerMouth
10-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Bynumite Dudes in the wheelchair league got a better jump shot than Lonzo. Maybe you guys can manage to actually trade him before he gets hurt this season.

RsxPiimp
10-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Remember spurfan scoffed at a package of Ingram, Lonzo and Hart :lol

Now your starting pg is a cripple. Harsh times.

Lakers now offer a bag of doritos and Alex Caruso for Murray and that's it.

i wouldn't even trade caruso for murray tbh. alex is a delladova in the making.

i'd probably offer bonga for murray but the spurs need to add a second round pick

phxspurfan
10-09-2018, 01:13 PM
Bynumite Dudes in the wheelchair league got a better jump shot than Lonzo. Maybe you guys can manage to actually trade him before he gets hurt this season.

He won't even have a chance to get hurt. He will be busy washing LeBron's jock strap

D.B. Cooper
10-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Tough D there by Harden. :rolleyes What was Murray's ceiling anyway?