PDA

View Full Version : Pop losing part of what made him respected by players

duncan2k5
11-16-2017, 04:38 PM
One thing many players always said about pop is that he treats every player the same... From Tim Duncan down to the last man on the bench... Equal opportunity screaming...

The past several years it's been clear that there are players he will NEVER treat certain ways... He will NEVER yell at Aldridge the way he used to yell at Parker and Duncan when they played bad defense... He will NEVER berate Gasol or bench him indefinitely when Gasol plays like trash doesn't rebound, nor give good effort... patty was literally the worst player on the team by far to start out the season, but he gets the starting job over DJ, and doesn't get benched or yelled at for his bad shots and turnovers... And let's not talk about ginobilis bad shots or turnovers... There have been times this year when he has had multiple bad shots and turnovers in a row that directly led to points on the other end...

But players like Simmons last year, DJ, Kyle, and Bertans would get the old school pop treatment for mistakes that other guys get to make all the time... That causes players to not only play tight and passive when they're in, but they lose respect for pop because of this biased treatment... Whatever happened to the "you don't play defense, you don't play" pop?

Proxy
11-16-2017, 05:03 PM
he treats each player in the way he thinks will help them improve, different breed of player now than what we had in the 90s-00s

LMA isn't going to play better with Pop yelling at him

DG's personality seems to respond better to it

he said it plenty of times after the ring in 14, how special Timmy for being okay with being chewed out

The defense thing died years ago though, that is not new

duncan2k5
11-16-2017, 05:24 PM
he treats each player in the way he thinks will help them improve, different breed of player now than what we had in the 90s-00s

he said it plenty of times after the ring in 14, how special Timmy for being okay with being chewed out

So how does randomly benching players like Simmons, Dedmon, DJ, Kyle and Davis help them especially when pop publicity berates them, but allows some other players to do the same exact things many times over? Or even get moved to the starting lineup? Come on now...

duncan2k5
11-16-2017, 05:24 PM

So how does randomly benching players like Simmons, Dedmon, DJ, Kyle and Davis help them especially when pop publicity berates them, but allows some other players to do the same exact things many times over? Or even get moved to the starting lineup? Come on now...

K...
11-16-2017, 05:27 PM
He probably changed after watching Sloan fired. Can't survive these days as a disciplinarian. Now for guards, sure, there's enough supply that character should count, but good bigs are rare. Aldridge may be a headache, but he's a valuable headache. Big difference also from coaching up a rookie and getting veterans to sign. Pops always been too nice to vets like Finley and Jefferson

weebo
11-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Aldridge is giving you 20/10 on 50% shooting. He's playing as well as he ever has as a Spur and you want Pop to "chew" him out? :lol

coachmac87
11-16-2017, 05:45 PM
I don't get this thread....

bklynspursfan
11-16-2017, 05:46 PM

He's benched Pau (and yelled at him plenty of times despite your claims he wouldn't) and he called out LMA in the playoffs last season, which I can't recall him doing to a specific player . He's pulled both if they miss assignments or what not, and Pau saw the bench plenty at times last post season.

Of course some guys get a little more leeway when they've been with the team for so long. But don't pretend Manu/TP didn't have similar short leashes early on. Whether guys are ok with that style of coaching depends on them.

Also, Simmons got waaay more leeway last year than he had previously.

Keepin' it real
11-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Aldridge is giving you 20/10 on 50% shooting. He's playing as well as he ever has as a Spur and you want Pop to "chew" him out? :lol

Yes.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/81/1a/7f/811a7fa6dde5b5e370fd41e969095a47--custom-tees-legends.jpg

Chinook
11-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Pop's literally never treated all players the same. Only an idiot would do that.

Joseph Kony
11-16-2017, 06:46 PM
another garbage tier thread from OP

tonight...you
11-16-2017, 06:59 PM
Old boy doesn't have the best of reps around here...
And it seems like he's not trying to troll, he just sees what he sees and let's it out.

I don't get most of it, but he speaks like he's really trying.

That may be even more disturbing.

Seventyniner
11-16-2017, 07:45 PM
Old boy doesn't have the best of reps around here...
And it seems like he's not trying to troll, he just sees what he sees and let's it out.

I don't get most of it, but he speaks like he's really trying.

That may be even more disturbing.

At one time I was in OP's position, desperate to make a name as a decent poster without realizing how shitty my takes were. Walk a mile in a brother's shoes, would you?

I think I turned 16 about a week later.

Cry Havoc
11-16-2017, 08:46 PM

Cry Havoc
11-16-2017, 08:46 PM
4th place in the LOADED West minus the team's MVP candidate, and their point guard.

superbigtime
11-16-2017, 10:23 PM
Complaining for the sake of complaining.

Cry Havoc
11-16-2017, 10:29 PM
Complaining for the sake of complaining.

That's giving him too much credit. He's doing it for attention, because it's the only way his trash takes get any.

sananspursfan21
11-16-2017, 10:43 PM
I see boredom. Lots of it.

BSfromTX
11-16-2017, 10:51 PM
I think he treats each player in a way they best respond. What I would say is that he is more arrogant and outspoken with the public with a demeanor that isn’t consistent with humility or being “over yourself”

he has let some some of the media praise go to his head imo

FuzzyLumpkins
11-16-2017, 11:23 PM
One thing many players always said about pop is that he treats every player the same... From Tim Duncan down to the last man on the bench... Equal opportunity screaming...

The past several years it's been clear that there are players he will NEVER treat certain ways... He will NEVER yell at Aldridge the way he used to yell at Parker and Duncan when they played bad defense... He will NEVER berate Gasol or bench him indefinitely when Gasol plays like trash doesn't rebound, nor give good effort... patty was literally the worst player on the team by far to start out the season, but he gets the starting job over DJ, and doesn't get benched or yelled at for his bad shots and turnovers... And let's not talk about ginobilis bad shots or turnovers... There have been times this year when he has had multiple bad shots and turnovers in a row that directly led to points on the other end...

But players like Simmons last year, DJ, Kyle, and Bertans would get the old school pop treatment for mistakes that other guys get to make all the time... That causes players to not only play tight and passive when they're in, but they lose respect for pop because of this biased treatment... Whatever happened to the "you don't play defense, you don't play" pop?

Huh? Elliott complains about how when DRob would screw up that Pop would yell at him instead because Dave did not react well to ranting. He's never treated all players the same. That is poor people skills.

What he has been known for is being direct and honest about where his players stand and does not sugarcoat it. He still does that.

hater
11-16-2017, 11:26 PM
Pops a fossil

50 million to a piece of australian hamburger and keeping an old senile guatemalan dog as SG is beyond dotard level

DMC
11-16-2017, 11:47 PM

LMA is a star in the league, well established before coming to SA, and he has something the others don't: Options. Pop is a coach and the best at it, but he's also a businessman and knows what he has to bring to the negotiations. You can treat Simmons like a scrub, but you cannot treat LMA like one.

DMC
11-16-2017, 11:48 PM
Huh? Elliott complains about how when DRob would screw up that Pop would yell at him instead because Dave did not react well to ranting. He's never treated all players the same. That is poor people skills.

What he has been known for is being direct and honest about where his players stand and does not sugarcoat it. He still does that.

There you go slamming poor people again.

Play Boban
11-16-2017, 11:59 PM
Pop is a Quisling and a hypocrite.

BillMc
11-17-2017, 01:57 AM

He nearly tore Pau's head off for a botched screen in Game 5 against the Rockets last year (and he should have. It blew the last shot attempt and forced an overtime game). I think he does it plenty to all the parties. Not much to yell at LMA so far he's been playing best on the team. He yells at younger guys more, yes, but he's always done that. Probably because they make more mistakes.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-17-2017, 02:56 AM
This Pop-treats-everyone-the-same shit is only a stupid media narrative and always has been. Nor should he. Everyone who has managed even 2 people will tell you that individuals are different, they respond in different ways to situations, they have different motivations, different background, etc. Equality doesn't mean the same and it's lazy management to treat every unique person the same way. It's much more difficult than this.

cd021
11-17-2017, 04:39 AM

22 ppg and 8.5 but point taken. He leads the team in minutes and has a Net Rtg of +14, Aldridge is the biggest reason while the team is 9-6 instead of 6-9.

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 08:11 AM
He's benched Pau (and yelled at him plenty of times despite your claims he wouldn't) and he called out LMA in the playoffs last season, which I can't recall him doing to a specific player . He's pulled both if they miss assignments or what not, and Pau saw the bench plenty at times last post season.

Of course some guys get a little more leeway when they've been with the team for so long. But don't pretend Manu/TP didn't have similar short leashes early on. Whether guys are ok with that style of coaching depends on them.

But you saying to and Manu getting that treatment early on was my point... Thats how pop WAS... show me when Gasol and Aldridge... Even Patty ever got publicly chewed out like pop used to chew out players back then... Show Gasol NEVER got benched last year... You guys are trippin... Dedmon used to be benched for games on end... Pulling a player because of a bad play isn't a benching... Pop used to have certain players in the doghouse for days for one bad play, while others get to do that same bad play all the time... Let's not pretend as if that isn't the case

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 08:13 AM

That LMA callout was weak... Duncan used to get CHEWED out on national TV... Called soft, etc... LMA is treated with baby gloves

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 08:17 AM
I think he treats each player in a way they best respond. What I would say is that he is more arrogant and outspoken with the public with a demeanor that isn’t consistent with humility or being “over yourself”

he has let some some of the media praise go to his head imo

That's not what players praised him for in the past... They praised him for treating all the same... Having no favorites when it comes to discipline... And if his tactic now is to treat them in a way to make them respond the best, he is doing a poor job... Simmons got better since leaving... Patty got worse this season... Murray started out good, but pops handling of him has him passive on offense... And Aldridge has become Mr. Me

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 08:24 AM
Pop's literally never treated all players the same. Only an idiot would do that.

“I would rather play for Pop,” Horry said. “The thing that I’d say best about Pop is he would curse you out, (but) he treats everybody the same on the team, whether you’re a starter or the 12th man.

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 08:25 AM

“I would rather play for Pop,” Horry said. “The thing that I’d say best about Pop is he would curse you out, (but) he treats everybody the same on the team, whether you’re a starter or the 12th man.

Brazil
11-17-2017, 08:26 AM
OP is an old fuck retard but we already knew that.

Pop never treated any of his player equally, he never managed Parker, Manu and Tim the same way... only a dumbass who never watch a Spurs game would think otherwise.

Here we go for another useless thread... I wish those old farts like OP or ducks would just quit posting on this board, those 80's idiots forgot we are in 2017

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 08:29 AM
Let's be honest with ourselves... Pop would have benched steph curry when he was younger the first time he pull up from 35 on a fast break... Steph wouldn't grow to be who he is... Draymond would still be a trash bench player in favor of David Lee, and the list goes on... Pop isn't perfect... He was much better in the past, but he is hypocritical and biased now with his treatment of players, and at times he can make young players play tight because they are afraid of being benched for older, worse players making the same mistakes

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 08:31 AM
LMA is a star in the league, well established before coming to SA, and he has something the others don't: Options. Pop is a coach and the best at it, but he's also a businessman and knows what he has to bring to the negotiations. You can treat Simmons like a scrub, but you cannot treat LMA like one.

Ur proving my point... Thats not how pop operated in the past... “I would rather play for Pop,” Horry said. “The thing that I’d say best about Pop is he would curse you out, (but) he treats everybody the same on the team, whether you’re a starter or the 12th man."

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 08:38 AM
He nearly tore Pau's head off for a botched screen in Game 5 against the Rockets last year (and he should have. It blew the last shot attempt and forced an overtime game). I think he does it plenty to all the parties. Not much to yell at LMA so far he's been playing best on the team. He yells at younger guys more, yes, but he's always done that. Probably because they make more mistakes.

LMA has been here for years... There has been many times he has played like garbage... Played soft, etc... Pop has never done him like he has done Duncan on national TV... But let Dedmon make ONE dumb foul he is benched for weeks... Manu on the other hand can foul dirk, thus causing us to lose a championship... And it's all good... Matter of fact, Manu makes the most dumb fouls on the team, but he isn't chastised like a Dedmon or a Davis would be...

So in essence Pop is treating them like every other coach would... And THATS what players used to like about Pop... He was fair... Now a player like Murray looking at Patty stinking it up, taking bad shots and playing VERY poor defense get rewarded with the starting job because Murray missed a rotation, that doesn't garner respect... Kyle being benched for a bad pass, while Manu gets to go full turnobili doesn't garner respect...

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 08:39 AM

Pop never treated any of his player equally, he never managed Parker, Manu and Tim the same way... only a dumbass who never watch a Spurs game would think otherwise.

Here we go for another useless thread... I wish those old farts like OP or ducks would just quit posting on this board, those 80's idiots forgot we are in 2017
“I would rather play for Pop,” Horry said. “The thing that I’d say best about Pop is he would curse you out, (but) he treats everybody the same on the team, whether you’re a starter or the 12th man."

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 08:40 AM
“I would rather play for Pop,” Horry said. “The thing that I’d say best about Pop is he would curse you out, (but) he treats everybody the same on the team, whether you’re a starter or the 12th man." And that's said from a player that hates the spurs...

skulls138
11-17-2017, 09:04 AM
He yelled at Parker but not Ginobili. I think it's a case by case basis.

Clipper Nation
11-17-2017, 09:19 AM
Poop has never treated everyone the same, tbh. Just compare how he treated SJax, Simmons, and Dedmon to how he treated Bonner.

SAGirl
11-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Pop has admitted recently to some mistakes. He wanted to change guys games (Aldridge).
He has restricted the youngest bench players in role. He admitted this season to not really figuring Kyle out and being neglectful of that previously. He might still not have done so, had Kawhi not been injured.
He did manage to rectify the situation with Aldridge, but Dedmon and JSimms are gone, Lee retired, Dworst left 2 seasons ago disgusted, etc. Man is not perfect. He's better than most and I wouldn't change him for another coach, but to pretend he's made no errors is disingenuous. He has publicly admitted to some.

TheDoctor
11-17-2017, 10:16 AM
But you saying to and Manu getting that treatment early on was my point... Thats how pop WAS... show me when Gasol and Aldridge... Even Patty ever got publicly chewed out like pop used to chew out players back then... Show Gasol NEVER got benched last year... You guys are trippin... Dedmon used to be benched for games on end... Pulling a player because of a bad play isn't a benching... Pop used to have certain players in the doghouse for days for one bad play, while others get to do that same bad play all the time... Let's not pretend as if that isn't the case
What’s your point w/ all of this? We won a ‘Ship 3 years ago w/ that same version of Pop.

DJR210
11-17-2017, 11:29 AM

:lol house crumbled in hurricane, yet on ST everyday making worthless topics

DMC
11-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Ur proving my point... Thats not how pop operated in the past... “I would rather play for Pop,” Horry said. “The thing that I’d say best about Pop is he would curse you out, (but) he treats everybody the same on the team, whether you’re a starter or the 12th man."

Horry was never at LMA level, not as far as "big name free agent" status goes. He was certainly more clutch, cold blooded, assassin, etc....

DMC
11-17-2017, 11:34 AM

This kinda hurts my feelings, what's worse is that I agree with you. :lol

skulls138
11-17-2017, 11:47 AM
What’s your point w/ all of this? We won a ‘Ship 3 years ago w/ that same version of Pop.If we don't win a 'ship every year, everything is pure crap and we can vent about stuff that deep inside has nothing to do with what we are venting about.

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 12:49 PM
What’s your point w/ all of this? We won a ‘Ship 3 years ago w/ that same version of Pop.

Point is we could have won MORE championships...as great as pop is...we could have won at least one more

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 12:51 PM

Point is we could have won MORE championships...as great as pop is...we could have won at least one more

Joseph Kony
11-17-2017, 12:57 PM
:lol house crumbled in hurricane, yet on ST everyday making worthless topics
:lol spamming robert horry's quote as if it is some kind of evidence of anything as he floats on a wooden raft

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 01:21 PM
:lol spamming robert horry's quote as if it is some kind of evidence of anything as he floats on a wooden raft

Lololol...nice...

Brazil
11-17-2017, 01:26 PM
“I would rather play for Pop,” Horry said. “The thing that I’d say best about Pop is he would curse you out, (but) he treats everybody the same on the team, whether you’re a starter or the 12th man."

same Horry that said Dream was 20 times better than Duncan ?

you are a tool if you believe that Pop treats all his player the same, dat cute story at being yelled at is that a cute story for the media...

duncan2k5
11-17-2017, 01:30 PM
same Horry that said Dream was 20 times better than Duncan ?

you are a tool if you believe that Pop treats all his player the same, dat cute story at being yelled at is that a cute story for the media...

So u think its ok to yell and bench players for things you dont chastise other players for?

Brazil
11-17-2017, 01:44 PM
This kinda hurts my feelings, what's worse is that I agree with you. :lol

:lol not directed at you tbh

Brazil
11-17-2017, 01:49 PM
So u think its ok to yell and bench players for things you dont chastise other players for?

Pop explained it 100 times already... it was useless trying to get the best of Manu the same way than Parker... Pop adapts his behavior / speech in function of each player specificities. Like it or not is another debate but saying he treats everybody equally is dumb and shows you spend more time reading the shit media reports about Spurs than actually watching the games and following the team.

I'm not surprised tho, you have more shitty takes in one day than most ST poster have in one year

TheChillFactor
11-17-2017, 02:07 PM
When Ginobili and Parker were getting yelled at the olds like Steve Smith and Kerr were getting a pass for horrible play.

Pop isn't berating people. He will yell at the younger players more but let's not pretend he was screaming in Duncan's face all the time. foh

Joseph Kony
11-17-2017, 02:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tz_4Coktes