PDA

View Full Version : Arctic warming happening faster than previously thought, report says

RandomGuy
11-20-2017, 12:01 PM
The report concludes the Arctic continues to warm at twice the pace of mid-latitudes and is likely to see warming of up to five degrees Celsius as early as 2040.

Barber said at least 15 new academic papers add weight to the theory that the loss of sea ice is causing changes in the upper atmosphere that disrupt southern temperatures and rainfall.

Barber is already advising southern agencies on questions such as how future rainfall patterns might change how much electricity can be generated from hydro dams.

"I just came from a meeting with Manitoba Hydro where this was the main topic of discussion."

Global air currents are increasingly disrupted. At one point last winter, Barber said, the North Pole was 29 degrees warmer than average. Air from California was being drawn to the top of the world.

Climate change in the Arctic is well underway and can't be stopped. But the report says if nations meet their greenhouse gas reduction targets under the Paris agreement, changes in the Arctic will stabilize to a new normal some time around 2040.

"We should have started 20 years ago," Barber said.

"These things are costing us. And they're costing the stability of our planet."
-----------------------------

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/arctic-warming-happening-faster-than-previously-thought-report-says/article37024293/

SpursforSix
11-20-2017, 12:20 PM
well...then it's probably too late to do anything. Best bet is to increase industrial production across the board and hope that it puts enough money in the pocket of the 1% so they the ability to move to another planet and continue the human race. Because the rest of us are fucked.

In any event, nothing I can do about. I have more important stuff to worry about.

RandomGuy
11-20-2017, 12:31 PM
well...then it's probably too late to do anything. Best bet is to increase industrial production across the board and hope that it puts enough money in the pocket of the 1% so they the ability to move to another planet and continue the human race. Because the rest of us are fucked.

In any event, nothing I can do about. I have more important stuff to worry about.

Seen some interesting GEO-engineering proposals that could effectively counter a lot of this, and be easy/cheap to do.

boutons_deux
11-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Seen some interesting bio-engineering proposals that could effectively counter a lot of this, and be easy/cheap to do.

Link?

Simply Stopping carbon dioxide emission is not enough

carbon dioxide will have to be sucked out of the air there are a couple of projects looking at them but there are millions of tons of carbon dioxide to be removed from the atmosp

The planet and human race, now in the anthropocene , are fucked and unfuckable, the oligarchy is blocking all research and solutions, while making AGW worse, for profit

RandomGuy
11-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Link?

carbon dioxide will have to be sucked out of the air there are a couple of projects looking at them but there are millions of tons of carbon dioxide to be removed from the atmosp

The planet and human race, now in the anthropocene , are fucked and unfuckable, the oligarchy is blocking all research and solutions, while making AGW worse, for profit

https://www.wired.com/story/lets-talk-geoengineering/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratospheric_aerosol_injection_(climate_engineeri ng)

FlAVaK
11-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Link?

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/environment_giant-carbon-sucking-commercial-plant-launches-in-zurich/43227352

1% in 2050 :reading

But it's a start...

SpursforSix
11-20-2017, 05:14 PM
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/environment_giant-carbon-sucking-commercial-plant-launches-in-zurich/43227352

1% in 2050 :reading

But it's a start...

I can't understand why so much importance is put on global warming when people are continuously getting poisoned every day by BigAg, BigPharm, , etc.

Big Empty
11-20-2017, 05:29 PM
The hole in the ozone shrinked. could be the increase in storms and lightning. Lightning creates ozone.

Wild Cobra
11-21-2017, 04:54 AM
The report concludes the Arctic continues to warm at twice the pace of mid-latitudes and is likely to see warming of up to five degrees Celsius as early as 2040.

Yes, the models are not right. They calculate more of an effect for greenhouse gasses than they should, and too little for soot. As long as they continue trying to lame CO2 for everything, they will have broken models.

Barber said at least 15 new academic papers add weight to the theory that the loss of sea ice is causing changes in the upper atmosphere that disrupt southern temperatures and rainfall.

Call me skeptical on this, but yes, possible. I would like to know if this was independently concluded by the scientists writing the papers, or if they were commission to make such a connection.

Global air currents are increasingly disrupted. At one point last winter, Barber said, the North Pole was 29 degrees warmer than average. Air from California was being drawn to the top of the world.

LOL...

That's crazy. Not going to happen that way.

Climate change in the Arctic is well underway and can't be stopped. But the report says if nations meet their greenhouse gas reduction targets under the Paris agreement, changes in the Arctic will stabilize to a new normal some time around 2040.

More agenda driven tripe. It's the soot that needs controlled, not CO2.

"We should have started 20 years ago," Barber said.

"These things are costing us. And they're costing the stability of our planet."
-----------------------------

No, it's the people with these agendas that are focusing on the wrong ideas, and using CO2 as a scapegoat.

RandomGuy
11-21-2017, 09:09 AM

LOL...

That's crazy. Not going to happen that way.

"nuh-uh" ??? That's what you are bringing? Talk about phoning it in.

Don't strain yourself.

Because I know reading is not really your strong suit, I would note that "air from California was". As in, it actually happened.

We have already seen disruptions of the jet stream in the US. If you want to make a case as to why this won't continue to oscillate more than it has in the past, feel free to dig deep and suggest a mechanism.