PDA

View Full Version : Obamacare was thriving in California. Then Trump happened.

RandomGuy
11-20-2017, 01:16 PM
"It’s working, it’s popular, and the threat doesn’t come from insurers dropping out but from the federal government pushing them out."

California has successfully implemented a federal law — but officials this year say much of their energy has gone into figuring out how to manage a successful marketplace while working with a federal government that has not only predicted but worked to hasten its implosion.

The state started on pretty solid footing, with one of the more competitive marketplaces in the country. It expects that 83 percent of health law enrollees will live in areas with three or more insurance options to choose from.

But it has also had to counter challenges. California announced this week that premiums will rise, on average, 12.5 percent, one of the biggest Obamacare hikes the state has experienced. Three-quarters of that is due to rising medical prices and a new tax on health insurers that will take effect in 2018. The other quarter, however, is an uncertainty surcharge — health plans trying to prepare for a world where the individual mandate isn’t enforced or outreach is minimal.

The state has focused much of its contingency planning on the cost-sharing reduction subsidies, an $8 billion fund that covers copayments and deductibles for low-income enrollees. The Trump administration has repeatedly threatened to cut off these payments, which could cause premiums to spike as insurance plans look to fill a big new budget hole.

California came up with a plan: If the Trump administration doesn’t commit to making these payments by the end of August, it will add a 12.5 percent surcharge onto all of its midlevel “silver” health plans. It will also run an aggressive marketing campaign to let Californians know about the surcharge, and that other options could be much cheaper.

By concentrating all the surcharge in one type of plan, it will, researchers expect, make other plans cheaper for the 84 percent of Obamacare enrollees in California who purchase coverage with premium subsidies. This is because the size of the tax credit is tethered to the price of the “silver” plan in the local area. If the price of the silver plan goes up, subsidized shoppers could take their bigger tax credit and possibly get a less comprehensive bronze-level plan for free — or go up to a more robust gold plan at little cost. (Read more about this idea, which actuaries from the firm Oliver Wyman have explored in detail, here.)

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/20/16667048/california-republican-tax-health-risk

rmt
11-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Smh at CA in general. Do you know they tax HSAs AND their gains?

koriwhat
11-20-2017, 07:47 PM
working? hahaha yeah right!

boutons_deux
11-20-2017, 10:29 PM
Smh at CA in general. Do you know they tax HSAs AND their gains?

Repugs tax grad student compensation in kind and deny deduction for high edical costs

Spurtacular
11-21-2017, 06:47 AM
RandomGuy (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1813)

Fuck your propaganda, you cowardly piece of shit. I live in California. My rates more than tripled over night for my plan, a few years back when Obamacare was going into effect. I hardly call that "working." I don't even need to read your propaganda. I live the bull shit.

"Working" -- This is the place in which I normally put a LMAO emoticon. But since I'm down thousands due to a lie you spout, I'll just more than triple down on my fuck you. Fuck you; yea, fuck off.

Chris
11-21-2017, 06:56 AM
vox :lmao

dabom
11-21-2017, 07:06 AM
Trump is a sabotaging pussy and the repugs still gonna blame OBAMA. :lol

RandomGuy
11-21-2017, 09:23 AM
RandomGuy (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1813)

Fuck your propaganda, you cowardly piece of shit. I live in California. My rates more than tripled over night for my plan, a few years back when Obamacare was going into effect. I hardly call that "working." I don't even need to read your propaganda. I live the bull shit.

"Working" -- This is the place in which I normally put a LMAO emoticon. But since I'm down thousands due to a lie you spout, I'll just more than triple down on my fuck you. Fuck you; yea, fuck off.

:lol Triggered snowflake. Here is a paper towel, so you can wipe the spittle from your monitor.

Uncertainty premium. Welcome to Republican caused increases. Thank Trump.

boutons_deux
11-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Sooner or later, Repugs will tax the compensation in kind of employers group plans

Spurtacular
11-21-2017, 05:10 PM
:lol Triggered snowflake. Here is a paper towel, so you can wipe the spittle from your monitor.

Uncertainty premium. Welcome to Republican caused increases. Thank Trump.

Obamacare more than tripled my shit. Don't give a fuck about your propaganda.

Chucho
11-21-2017, 06:00 PM
You have to live here to have a handle on the pulse. It wasn't working as hot as this article suggests. Costs were rising year to year before Trump, that's why I went consiglere instead.

RandomGuy
11-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Obamacare more than tripled my shit. Don't give a fuck about your propaganda.

More than likely, you were paying for some stripped down coverage that didn't really cover much. You were, essentially, being screwed by paying for coverage that would have almost certainly not covered much had you gotten sick or injured, and too stupid to know that.

Your shitty plan had to have a lot of basic coverages added to it, driving up the cost. The rest of us were subsidizing your risk. Now we're not.

Welcome to grownup land, asshole. Take some personal responsibility.

baseline bum
11-21-2017, 07:03 PM
More than likely, you were paying for some stripped down coverage that didn't really cover much. You were, essentially, being screwed by paying for coverage that would have almost certainly not covered much had you gotten sick or injured, and too stupid to know that.

Your shitty plan had to have a lot of basic coverages added to it, driving up the cost. The rest of us were subsidizing your risk. Now we're not.

More than likely he's lying

Aztecfan03
11-22-2017, 12:15 AM

Instead Obamacare makes us pay for stuff we don't need and makes us subsidize others.

Aztecfan03
11-22-2017, 12:15 AM
statistically, probably not.

baseline bum
11-22-2017, 12:54 AM

Most of his shit is lies, so statistically probably so

Th'Pusher
11-22-2017, 09:17 AM

Most people get their health insurance through their job or the government, so statistically, he’s probably not on the individual marketplace. If he is, 85% get federal subsidies which would generally shield him from premium increases.

So yeah he’s either lying or was previously being duped in to buying some stripped down high-risk plan. Neither option would surprise me.

If you haven’t noticed, spurtacular is by far one of the most ignorant people to post on this forum...approaching WC levels of stupidity. His emotional outburst itt was funny tho.

RandomGuy
11-22-2017, 10:47 AM

The thought had crossed my mind. Honesty does not appear to be his strong suit.

RandomGuy
11-22-2017, 10:50 AM
Instead Obamacare makes us pay for stuff we don't need and makes us subsidize others.

Not having insurance is asking others to subsidize you.

Having shitty health insurance is asking others to subsidize you.

You do understand this, yes?

The costs of all of this stuff is already socialized in many ways.

It is buried in the cost of every new loan, everywhere in the country.