PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of us running an old folks home...

duncan2k5
11-20-2017, 06:50 PM
It seems like SA is the place where old players who were once either stars or very good come to retire... Im not sure why that's the case... Im guessing it is Pop's system that make young stars wary that they won't gain individual recognition...

Whatever the reason I'm tired of it! Especially now that we have kawhi in his prime surrounded by geezers... If we don't bring in new young blood this year, or especially next, he may be gone, then dark days will arrive...

It has been happening throughout the Duncan era... Rodman, Horry, Van Exel, McDeiss, Finley, West, Gasol, Gay, Aldridge, McGrady, Kerr, S Jax second stint... Im sure I'm missing more, but all these guys joined after 30, when most players are on the downward spiral of their careers...

What can we do to change this? It was ok to do it since our big 3 were hall of famers... Now we only have a big 1.5 (until Aldridge shows up in the playoffs for us, he only gets a 0.5 in bigness)... In today's league, that isn't sustainable... We had a chance to shell shock the warriors in game 1 last year and possibly win the series, but now they won't take us lightly in the playoffs again, and other teams have gotten much more talented... Ppl are even choosing to go to worse teams... Do we need to get rid of the old ppl so that young prime players want to be here? I'm seriously at a loss

Arcadian
11-20-2017, 06:54 PM
I don't think the Warriors "took us lightly." They just got Klaw'd.

Joseph Kony
11-20-2017, 06:56 PM
and the entire forum is tired of your shitposting

Dex
11-20-2017, 06:56 PM
I'm tired of your bellyaching, but that doesn't seem to stop it from happening.

tholdren
11-20-2017, 07:04 PM

Its timdunkem alt

Spurtacular
11-20-2017, 07:32 PM
I don't think the Warriors "took us lightly." They just got Klaw'd.

Laughing Gravy
11-20-2017, 08:32 PM
Hey dipshit, you understand that this is what happens when you are a perennial contender right?

weebo
11-20-2017, 08:39 PM

Mr. Body
11-20-2017, 08:50 PM
You watch the wrong team, brah.

duncan2k5
11-20-2017, 08:52 PM
Hey dipshit, you understand that this is what happens when you are a perennial contender right?

Tell that to KD...

duncan2k5
11-20-2017, 08:55 PM

LOL... Yet you can't prove me wrong on my post... Thats how u shut down a shit poster... Not one person has said I'm wrong... Ppl are just piggybacking you because of the herd mentality... And ppl who agree with me don't post because they see the direction you guys take the post in by straying off topic

daslicer
11-20-2017, 09:18 PM
Spurs have always had a combination of veterans and young players. After 2010 the Spurs brought in Splitter,Green,Kawhi,Mills,Neal,Marco. Those guys were all below 30 when they signed with the Spurs.

Leetonidas
11-20-2017, 09:20 PM
LOL... Yet you can't prove me wrong on my post... Thats how u shut down a shit poster... Not one person has said I'm wrong... Ppl are just piggybacking you because of the herd mentality... And ppl who agree with me don't post because they see the direction you guys take the post in by straying off topic

Honestly it's probably because none of your topics are thoughtful or insightful...you just kinda post random thoughts about topics that have been beaten to death in numerous threads tbh. Just an observation.

In response to your OP I mean yeah spurs have always signed old guys or ring chasing vets like a lot of contenders do. And yes we currently are relying on too many old players. We play in a small market and until guys like Tony and Manu retire along with Pau were kinda stuck that way.

DJR210
11-20-2017, 09:22 PM
I'm tired of your bellyaching, but that doesn't seem to stop it from happening.

Play Boban
11-20-2017, 09:43 PM
It seems like SA is the place where old players who were once either stars or very good come to retire... Im not sure why that's the case... Im guessing it is Pop's system that make young stars wary that they won't gain individual recognition...

Whatever the reason I'm tired of it! Especially now that we have kawhi in his prime surrounded by geezers... If we don't bring in new young blood this year, or especially next, he may be gone, then dark days will arrive...

It has been happening throughout the Duncan era... Rodman, Horry, Van Exel, McDeiss, Finley, West, Gasol, Gay, Aldridge, McGrady, Kerr, S Jax second stint... Im sure I'm missing more, but all these guys joined after 30, when most players are on the downward spiral of their careers...

What can we do to change this? It was ok to do it since our big 3 were hall of famers... Now we only have a big 1.5 (until Aldridge shows up in the playoffs for us, he only gets a 0.5 in bigness)... In today's league, that isn't sustainable... We had a chance to shell shock the warriors in game 1 last year and possibly win the series, but now they won't take us lightly in the playoffs again, and other teams have gotten much more talented... Ppl are even choosing to go to worse teams... Do we need to get rid of the old ppl so that young prime players want to be here? I'm seriously at a loss
:cry

sananspursfan21
11-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Alright, another one of these posts!

BSfromTX
11-20-2017, 10:35 PM
It’s called fiscal responsibility ... veterans looking to ring or just play On a no drama team will play for less money. I hate it too, but it’s less of a gamble

cutewizard
11-20-2017, 11:20 PM
We should get older......lol

Thimking a return of MJ Pip and Rodman.....they could play 12 minutes a game

cutewizard
11-20-2017, 11:21 PM
:bobo

DAF86
11-21-2017, 02:15 AM
Historically, the oldest teams are the most successful ones.

r0drig0lac
11-21-2017, 07:33 AM
the funny thing is that regardless of the history of the OP, he did not say anything wrong this time.
although I do not think it can change, even our star does not make "friendships" around the league, get used to it

DaBears
11-21-2017, 10:45 AM

Truer words have never been uttered with such grace.......

wildbill2u
11-21-2017, 01:03 PM
San Antonio is not known as a big party town for young, mostly black, players. You have to consider that young free agents who have proved themselves are looking for the big payoff in cities like LA, Chicago, Miami, NEW YORK and maybe Houston. San Antonio, Utah, etc. are far down on the list of desirable destinations.

Spurtacular
11-21-2017, 06:02 PM
@dunkan2k5

You mean the infusion of young KA isn't invigorating?

:lmao

duncan2k5
11-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Spurs have always had a combination of veterans and young players. After 2010 the Spurs brought in Splitter,Green,Kawhi,Mills,Neal,Marco. Those guys were all below 30 when they signed with the Spurs.

Huh? Neither were stars or even really good players before... This thread is specifically talking about good to great players coming here in their prime... Not role players

duncan2k5
11-21-2017, 06:44 PM
We should get older......lol

Thimking a return of MJ Pip and Rodman.....they could play 12 minutes a game

I laughed out loud at this

duncan2k5
11-21-2017, 06:45 PM
San Antonio is not known as a big party town for young, mostly black, players. You have to consider that young free agents who have proved themselves are looking for the big payoff in cities like LA, Chicago, Miami, NEW YORK and maybe Houston. San Antonio, Utah, etc. are far down on the list of desirable destinations.

Good point! I'm from Tim Duncan land so everything is big city to me... But I can see how someone from NY wouldn't wanna spend their partying years in a small town

daslicer
11-21-2017, 08:13 PM
Huh? Neither were stars or even really good players before... This thread is specifically talking about good to great players coming here in their prime... Not role players

If you want young stars in their primes to sign with the Spurs then you should become a Warriors fan or become a Sixers fan, Celtics fan, Lebron Fan. No young star player will ever sign with the Spurs due to SA not being a hip location like other posters have mentioned. The only way the Spurs are going to get young stars is through drafting and developing like they did with Parker,Manu,Kawhi.

tholdren
11-21-2017, 10:14 PM

duncan2k5
11-23-2017, 04:41 AM
If you want young stars in their primes to sign with the Spurs then you should become a Warriors fan or become a Sixers fan, Celtics fan, Lebron Fan. No young star player will ever sign with the Spurs due to SA not being a hip location like other posters have mentioned. The only way the Spurs are going to get young stars is through drafting and developing like they did with Parker,Manu,Kawhi.

Question... Wont you like it if we could get a good or great free agent in their 20s?

duncan2k5
11-23-2017, 04:43 AM

Since when is Boston and Cleveland hip locations? ������ no one ever says they went on a trip to party out in Cleveland :lol

daslicer
11-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Since when is Boston and Cleveland hip locations? ������ no one ever says they went on a trip to party out in Cleveland :lol

Boston is a a top 10 metro while SA isn't. Cleveland is not a prime location but Lebron has a lot of sway in getting guys to come to Cleveland that's why I implied that you should be a Lebron fan. Reading comprehension you definitely lack it.

daslicer
11-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Question... Wont you like it if we could get a good or great free agent in their 20s?

Question do you think a 50 year old bald man who is broke and out of shape has a chance with 20 year old model? In this scenario SA is viewed as the 50 year old man when it comes to free agency for these young guys. The only way the Spurs are going to get young guys is through developing them through the draft and spotting unknown talent through FA. That's why I have said before you need to be a fan of another team if you want this scenario to play out. You could always be a sixers fan, knicks fan, heat fan, and even a Lakers fan since they have a better chance of getting a young 20 something year old star in FA than SA does.

palangi
11-23-2017, 01:38 PM
I'd like to see done movement towards youth and athleticism.
Trade mills for whatever we can get. Even a 2nd rounder
Trade Green, same as above.
Put manu on IR.

We have a replacement for mills already on roster in Forbes
Replace green with Hilliard.
Replace Manu with Blossingame.

Leetonidas
11-23-2017, 02:22 PM
I'd like to see done movement towards youth and athleticism.
Trade mills for whatever we can get. Even a 2nd rounder
Trade Green, same as above.
Put manu on IR.

We have a replacement for mills already on roster in Forbes
Replace green with Hilliard.
Replace Manu with Blossingame.

Oh cool so we can only win 25 games and ST will really be committing suicide. Great plan man

dabom
11-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Oh cool so we can only win 25 games and ST will really be committing suicide. Great plan man

:lol

palangi
11-23-2017, 02:27 PM
Oh cool so we can only win 25 games and ST will really be committing suicide. Great plan manyou're right being just above average, but not good enough is perfect.
Even if we struggle we get a better draft pick.

And none of the moves I mentioned are season killers. It just scares you

DAF86
11-23-2017, 03:17 PM

Of course everybody would prefer that, but since that rarely happens you have to make another quesition: "is it better to sign unknown, young scrubs or great player that are past their prime like a Gasol, for example?"

ElNono
11-23-2017, 04:02 PM
You can always become a Sixers fan, tbh... always youngsters there

palangi
11-23-2017, 04:27 PM
It's amazing how defensive some get here

duncan2k5
11-23-2017, 06:19 PM
Boston is a a top 10 metro while SA isn't. Cleveland is not a prime location but Lebron has a lot of sway in getting guys to come to Cleveland that's why I implied that you should be a Lebron fan. Reading comprehension you definitely lack it.

U are making my point! Even tho Cleveland isn't a destination ANYONE wants to go to there is a factor that makes ppl want to go there... Im trying to find OUR factor to make young stars want to come here even though we aren't a popular city... Jesus

duncan2k5
11-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Question do you think a 50 year old bald man who is broke and out of shape has a chance with 20 year old model? In this scenario SA is viewed as the 50 year old man when it comes to free agency for these young guys. The only way the Spurs are going to get young guys is through developing them through the draft and spotting unknown talent through FA. That's why I have said before you need to be a fan of another team if you want this scenario to play out. You could always be a sixers fan, knicks fan, heat fan, and even a Lakers fan since they have a better chance of getting a young 20 something year old star in FA than SA does.

Dude... You're stating a fact... Im trying to ask how we can change that reality... LeBron changed that reality for Cleveland... No one ever wants to play there... He is the only reason... What can we do to change our reality? Realities change... Slavery was a reality... Ppl didn't just throw up their hands... They attempted to change that reality and succeeded

daslicer
11-23-2017, 07:45 PM
Dude... You're stating a fact... Im trying to ask how we can change that reality... LeBron changed that reality for Cleveland... No one ever wants to play there... He is the only reason... What can we do to change our reality? Realities change... Slavery was a reality... Ppl didn't just throw up their hands... They attempted to change that reality and succeeded

Lebron is an iconic figure so that helps a lot plus he's very social and into recruiting people 24/7 to come to Cleveland. Kawhi when healthy can be the best player in the league but he will never be iconic or have the sway Lebron has which isn't a knock against him. I know how you can get young guys to want to go to SA. Find a bunch of billionaires that are willing to invest billions of dollars into creating a nightlife scene in SA.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-24-2017, 02:48 AM

It still isn't and never was, despite of LeBron. It's why he left the first time. After his comeback they still haven't signed a star FA - they had Kyrie from the draft and traded for Love. No good FAs other than washed up vets looking to piggyback for a ring.

I can't believe people who supposedly have followed the Spurs and the NBA for a while would expect them to attract a great FA in his prime. Even when they had a top 5 all time player they couldn't. Aldridge/Horford type is the best you could hope for.

daslicer
11-24-2017, 12:49 PM
It still isn't and never was, despite of LeBron. It's why he left the first time. After his comeback they still haven't signed a star FA - they had Kyrie from the draft and traded for Love. No good FAs other than washed up vets looking to piggyback for a ring.

I can't believe people who supposedly have followed the Spurs and the NBA for a while would expect them to attract a great FA in his prime. Even when they had a top 5 all time player they couldn't. Aldridge/Horford type is the best you could hope for.

I agree.

skulls138
11-24-2017, 02:02 PM
5 rings...whats your point?

Joseph Kony
11-24-2017, 02:42 PM

Seriously? You're bitching about SA being an old folks home but bring up Cleveland? :lol

Channing 34
Calderon 36
Smith 32
Green 31
Korver 36
Wade 35
Rose 29 with no knees

Newsflash man, all the guys LeGM has gotten over the last couple years are not young they're mostly washed up foagies. Cleveland is literally the oldest team in the league by average age

Joseph Kony
11-24-2017, 02:44 PM
also :lmao comparing SA not being a FA destination to fucking slavery

ElNono
11-24-2017, 03:40 PM
Scola still available, IMO

Robz4000
11-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Scola still available, IMO

This is now a Scola thread

duncan2k5
11-24-2017, 09:41 PM

I know we cant...im asking how to change that...

daslicer
11-24-2017, 09:48 PM
I know we cant...im asking how to change that...

I told you how you can change it. You need to lobby some billionaires to invest billions of dollars in SA's nightlife. Also have a campaign for over a few million people to move to SA which would increases SA's market size.

duncan2k5
11-24-2017, 09:56 PM
I told you how you can change it. You need to lobby some billionaires to invest billions of dollars in SA's nightlife. Also have a campaign for over a few million people to move to SA which would increases SA's market size.

Your first idea may be it,tbh...lol