PDA

View Full Version : Mavs big man has done some growing

ducks
10-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Mavs big man has done some growing

By DWAIN PRICE

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - If DeSagana Diop keeps this up, the center position will be the least of the Mavericks' worries this season.

Playing with confidence for the first time in his NBA career, Diop blocked five shots and scored the game-winning basket on a tip-in at the buzzer Sunday as the Mavs beat the New York Knicks 104-102 in a preseason game. Signed as a backup, Diop is pressuring starting center Erick Dampier to elevate his game.

Or else ...

"Diop's got to be in there when Damp's out of the game, or in foul trouble, or whatever," forward Dirk Nowitzki said. "We need him to come in there and protect our basket.

"He did extremely well [Sunday] and ended up with a game-winner, and obviously that's big for a young player. Hopefully, he does get some confidence and, hopefully, he'll be a great contributor for us."

Diop's potential is one reason the Mavs gambled and gave him a three-year, $7 million contract, which was the talk of the Cavaliers in training camp. Players in Cleveland couldn't figure out how Diop merited so much cash from the Mavs after he did so little for the Cavaliers. Now they know.

"I know they got me here to block shots, and that's what I plan on doing," Diop said. "This is a great opportunity for me."

And a great opportunity for the Mavs.

"He's past just the project stage," assistant coach Del Harris said. "People are going to have a nice time in Dallas watching him grow as a player."

Diop played four uneventful seasons with the Cavs. But this past summer, Diop changed his attitude. His work habits improved, and he lost nearly 40 pounds.

"His work ethic speaks for itself," point guard Jason Terry said. "He's always staying late working on his game and, as a young player, you can only get better when you do that."

After two weeks in training camp, the Mavs have seen Diop's upside.

"I'm one of the guys that's constantly in Diop's ear -- encouraging him, and I think this system helps him," Terry said. "Plus, he's more confident, and he's got a guy like Dampier to learn from, and that definitely helps."

Dampier agrees.

"He's new on this team, he's trying to find out where he fits in and where he's going to get his point production," Dampier said. "Also, Diop and the rest of us are trying to give a good combined effort on the defensive end because we know that's going to help us out in the long run."

ONLINE: www.mavs.com