PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio de Bexar...give Tom Benson what he wants.

Marcus Bryant
10-18-2005, 09:28 AM
This is SA's best (and probably last, for a while) chance to land a NFL franchise. Do not quibble when the prospect of a payment free lease is mentioned in the paper. Do not complain when the city agrees to a plan to build a state of the art stadium facility with a small contribution from the city.

You are not going to find another NFL owner who is perfectly willing to move his team to smaller market San Antonio de Bexar, especially with Los Angeles sans team at the moment.

You are the people who it took a massive campaign to convince to vote for a new arena to keep the Spurs in town...after they won their 1st championship and when the existing arena in town was the Joe & Harry Freeman Coliseum.

Prime time or siesta time.

Your call.

TheTruth
10-18-2005, 09:35 AM
[Rob Schneider]WE CAN DO IT!![/Rob Schneider]

batman2883
10-18-2005, 09:35 AM
its time for a fiesta baby party party party but id rather have the Cowboys here

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-18-2005, 09:41 AM
SA could do that, throw in a rain dance, and then send their finest, hottest strippers to Benson to "negotiate" the last details and it still wouldn't matter. Benson is using San Antonio, and in 5-10 years when it comes time to hold LA hostage for a new stadium he'll come around again, spouting about how great a football town SA is that he would love to be able to move the Saints here. I know everyone wants a football team to call our own, but it ain't gonna happen.

Marcus Bryant
10-18-2005, 09:45 AM
L.A. or LA? Either way, this is SA's best chance. It's not unheard of that a deal to L.A. can't get worked out. For whatever reason, Benson has consistently refused to sell the team so that it could be moved to L.A. as well as refused to move there himself. Anyways, there hasn't been a team in that area in however long. Sure, it's a tremendous market, but deal execution is the key. As for LA, well, the state had balked at building a new stadium before. How long is it going to take in LA to get a deal done?

No time to waste. No time to quibble. It's time to pull up quick and gank it.

batman2883
10-18-2005, 09:56 AM
gank that mofucka

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-18-2005, 09:56 AM
L.A. or LA?

I suppose either Los Angeles or Louisiana would work, but I meant Los Angeles since Louisiana has got a ways to go before they start thinking about getting the Saints back and playing in there. I agree this is as good a shot as SA has ever had or may ever get, but I just think there's a ton of hurdles to clear. Like the league allowing three franchises to be within a few hundred miles of each other in the same state. Or the fact that as you said, getting the money from SA is going to take some convincing. Or that Los Angeles could probably put together a more lucrative offer.

I'm not trying to be a downer, I just don't think it's going to happen.

Marcus Bryant
10-18-2005, 10:00 AM
This is between San Antonio and New Orleans. Forget about L.A. It's Benson's team. He can do as he wants and Los Angeles is not a part of the equation.

So basically it's between San Antonio and one of the few NFL markets that is less attractive than San Antonio.

SA has to take what it can get and, yes, place it's hopes on the flimsiest of evidence.

After all, the city got into its 1st major pro league through the backdoor in the middle of the night.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-18-2005, 10:03 AM
After all, the city got into its 1st major pro league through the backdoor in the middle of the night.

You do make a good point there. For SA's sake I hope I'm wrong.

Marcus Bryant
10-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Would the league want a franchise in L.A. or Oakland? Well, the league didn't get its way when Al Davis wanted to move.

It's Benson's call. McCombs played the SA card often when he owned the Vikings but Benson's a different cat. How many NFL owners would be content to move a team to SA instead of cashing out and letting someone move the team to L.A.?

He's the ace card for SA. If SA can't get it done now, it's not going to see a NFL franchise for at least the next 15 years.

Kip Fanatic
10-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Would the league want a franchise in L.A. or Oakland? Well, the league didn't get its way when Al Davis wanted to move.

It's Benson's call. McCombs played the SA card often when he owned the Vikings but Benson's a different cat. How many NFL owners would be content to move a team to SA instead of cashing out and letting someone move the team to L.A.?

He's the ace card for SA. If SA can't get it done now, it's not going to see a NFL franchise for at least the next 15 years.

Not trying to start an argument. I am just curious about why you all of sudden changed your mind. Yesterday you kept saying how it wouldn't work in San Antonio.

Marcus Bryant
10-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Actually, this is what I typed...

If, again, Benson wants to leave a shitload of money on the table and for community/personal reasons wants the team in SA, then it's going to take the state and all of the city and county governments between the Valley, SA and Austin to come up with the jack for a new stadium.

This is SA's best chance to land a team. I am skeptical that the city/county would actually manage to come up with the jack for a new facility. I have not changed my mind at all. Benson is looking for the best possible deal. If he gets that out of Louisiana then he goes back there. If he gets that out of SA....

Extra Stout
10-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Benson will be dead in 5-10 years, and his granddaughter, a San Antonio local, will be running the team.

The city of San Antonio is being handed an NFL team right now. Benson is firing everybody in the organization opposed to the move. They'll probably fire their radio play-by-play guy today.

It's San Antonio's team to lose. The only way it doesn't happen is if the locals screw it up.

Marcus Bryant
10-18-2005, 10:57 AM
It's time for Carlos Guerra, CA Stubbs and LULAC to get the anti-progress campaign fired up.

Kip Fanatic
10-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Actually, this is what I typed...

This is SA's best chance to land a team. I am skeptical that the city/county would actually manage to come up with the jack for a new facility. I have not changed my mind at all. Benson is looking for the best possible deal. If he gets that out of Louisiana then he goes back there. If he gets that out of SA....

OK. I couldn't agree more. The only way it doesn't get done is: 1) if for some strange reason the other owners vote against it. 2) the Mayor says the city has to fork over some cash to build a new stadium (we have some cheap people here in SA) 3) the Commissioner somehow gets his way and gets them to go to L.A

10-18-2005, 11:39 AM
MB, I work on the coast during the week and don't get the Express, but are they talking about upgrading the Alamodome or building a completely new stadium?

I'd love to see a new stadium go up at the old Longhorn cement site (Where they should have built the SBC but couldn't because NEISD wouldn't go for the TIF proposal).