PDA

View Full Version : Tjarks: Your Next Favorite NBA Role Player Will Come Out of Europe

Drom John
11-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Your Next Favorite NBA Role Player Will Come Out of Europe (https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/11/28/16692094/brandon-paul-daniel-theis-spurs-celtics-role-players-europe)

Thunder1
11-28-2017, 12:06 PM
A good read...thanx..

K...
11-28-2017, 12:32 PM
This should probably go is the Brandon Paul threads

SAGirl
11-28-2017, 01:44 PM
good thread. I agree needs to be in BP3 church... will put it there sometime.

I thought I'd comment on this tidbit:

“You have to look at it in terms of an age window. There aren’t many players who can play in the NBA at the age of 19, and the ones who can are usually pretty special,” one collegiate scouting director for an NBA team told me. “Even when you get to the 21- and 22-year-olds, there’s still a small number who are ready to contribute immediately on a good team. However, when those same guys are 25 and 26 years old, they have matured on and off the court, and the pool of NBA-caliber players around the world in that age range is much larger.”

It definitely explains the Spurs drafting older players and looking at NBA prospects that are young but not that young. Only their 1st round draft picks have been recently very young and their latest was older (D.White is only a year younger than Kyle right now). It showed with players like Malcolm Brogdon, as well. It's an interesting topic. Also explains the patience the FO has for the development of their really youngish guys like Dejounte now and Kyle his first couple of seasons.

Play Boban
11-28-2017, 01:48 PM
:cry

Mr. Body
11-28-2017, 02:52 PM
The NCAA simply isn't preparing players for the NBA anymore. It always took a little bit to get acclimated, but now you can't expect a guy with grit and knowledge out of college.

8FOR!3
11-28-2017, 02:58 PM
The NCAA simply isn't preparing players for the NBA anymore. It always took a little bit to get acclimated, but now you can't expect a guy with grit and knowledge out of college.

It's hard to prepare players for the NBA when the talented ones are only spending 1-2 years in college tbh.

cd021
11-28-2017, 03:17 PM
It's hard to prepare players for the NBA when the talented ones are only spending 1-2 years in college tbh.

There is no incentive for players to stay in college and college play, at this point, doesn't do much of anything to help prepare players for the next level. Wasting time in college playing for free, chancing injury seems like an unnecessary risk.

The top level talent is getting shafted by the one and done rule. Noel could've come out after high school, and possibly been a top 3 pick- with the money that comes with it-and began his career a year earlier. Instead he plays a handful of games in college before tearing his ACL and missing the remainder of the NCAA season, gets drafted 6th and misses his rookie year.

Agreed, completely. NBA might as well as do away with the 1 and done rule. Its antiquated, in my opinion.

CGD
11-28-2017, 08:23 PM
I wonder if the changes to the d league might entice more people skip the ncaa farce and just go try their luck in that league. If the nba is smart, they can couple it with “life skills” classes or something like that. Probably more practical than the college education.

tholdren
11-28-2017, 08:41 PM

No its not. Ncaa caters to aau and boosters. There are only a few coaches who actually coach players because of abilitly of their own knowledge and leash

gospursgojas
11-28-2017, 10:13 PM
Whatever happened to TPark

TimDunkem
11-28-2017, 11:55 PM
Whatever happened to TPark
Quadruple patty cheeseburger induced heart attack. R.I.P