View Full Version : Van Gundy, O'Neal differ on slow start

ducks
10-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Van Gundy, O'Neal differ on slow start

By Michael Cunningham
Staff Writer
Posted October 18 2005

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...la-sports-front

Miami -- After mostly ragged play by the Heat in three exhibition games, coach Stan Van Gundy already is sounding urgent about the team improving.

Heat center Shaquille O'Neal, on the other hand, says not to worry while giving assurances that "as long as it gets better by March, April, May, we will be fine."

Just two weeks into training camp, and already the differing approaches of Van Gundy and O'Neal to the rhythms of the long season are coming to the forefront.

Van Gundy, who has been pleased with the practices, wants to see "more energy and life" in games, starting with tonight's game against Orlando. He's also looking for the Heat to share the ball more and improve on help defense.

"You know there is going to be some [growing pains], but at the same time you don't want to make excuses for anybody," Van Gundy said Monday. "You have got to maintain a level of patience, but at the same time you can't be so patient and so tolerant. How far down the road do you go before guys are held accountable for their play?"

O'Neal, laid back as usual, said it will come.

"It is all going to work out," O'Neal said. "We just have got to get to know each other. I would rather this happen now than happen late. ... I am not worried. I never worry about that."

Van Gundy said there are legitimate reasons the team hasn't been sharp in games. He cited fatigue and the new players' unfamiliarity with the system, though he said the Heat also hasn't been good with the things it should know.

To help the learning process, Van Gundy said he won't introduce any new concepts this week after saying he probably gave the players too much information too fast. He believes that the players might play with more intensity if they don't have to think as much.

The Heat practiced for about 3½ hours Monday, one of the their shorter sessions.

"I haven't been the least bit concerned about their legs and won't be, to be quite honest, until we get to the season," Van Gundy said. "I want us to get it and we want to really work."

Van Gundy added that the slow start could be good for the Heat since he thinks the players might have thought it would be easy for the talent-laden roster. He said the players need to concentrate on making the team better and "not just create their own games."

Veteran guard Gary Payton is among the players who said all the Heat needs is more time.

"Everyone is just going to have to calm down, just play basketball and get focused," Payton said. "[Tonight] we might come out and play well, and people will [say], Oh, there it is.'"

Michael Cunningham can be reached at [email protected].

cheguevara
10-18-2005, 01:39 PM
I actually agree w/Shaq on this one. Nobody expected the Heat to just become a team overnight, with all the changes they made. I have a feeling Van Gundy won't finish the season as Heat coach.