PDA

View Full Version : Colin Cowherd says Spurs are not title contenders

JohnnyMax
11-30-2017, 09:05 PM
11/30/2017 show, from 56:50 to 58:50 https://overcast.fm/+LFlDRH4gs/56:50
(https://overcast.fm/+LFlDRH4gs/56:50)

TimDunkem
11-30-2017, 09:06 PM
Probably not. Just like his wet dream fantasy of LeBron to L.A. is not going to happen.

Robz4000
11-30-2017, 09:09 PM
Of course not. Nobody is outside Golden State.

bklynspursfan
11-30-2017, 09:15 PM
Who cares what this guy says. He's been down on us a bunch. Just another guy with an opinion, regardless how foolish he sounds.

skulls138
11-30-2017, 09:15 PM
Cowturd has always hated the Spurs. If Kawhi comes back and the team becomes that much better....why wouldn't they be considered contenders?

exstatic
11-30-2017, 09:16 PM

The Golden State that lost to Sacto, and needed a lucky bounce to beat the Lakers in OT? They haven’t looked at all like they were separate from the pack, and in fact, they’ve fallen back into it.

TimDunkem
11-30-2017, 09:21 PM
The Golden State that lost to Sacto, and needed a lucky bounce to beat the Lakers in OT? They haven’t looked at all like they were separate from the pack, and in fact, they’ve fallen back into it.
They lose to a bad team or two every season. Big deal. Sounds like wishful thinking on your end.

TheDoctor
11-30-2017, 09:21 PM

It's called sarcasm and not everybody use the blue font :toast (Blue font is not fun actually).

Hoops Czar
11-30-2017, 09:23 PM

Sounds like something posters said around this time last year. Only this year, they have more depth.

spurs10
11-30-2017, 10:22 PM
Cowturd has always hated the Spurs. If Kawhi comes back and the team becomes that much better....why wouldn't they be considered contenders? This guy hates the Spurs because they are from Texas where 100% of the population call him "Cowturd."

skulls138
11-30-2017, 10:31 PM
That's because he is full of shit. He pretends he has integrity and is being factual but in reality he lives off of the hate he can stir up because, plain and simple, hate makes $.

Seventyniner
11-30-2017, 10:32 PM
I'm surprised he is able to form sentences with his foot stuffed in his mouth all the time.

Leetonidas
11-30-2017, 10:36 PM
What a hot take

DAF86
11-30-2017, 10:50 PM
The dude admitted he doesn't even watch basketball, why would anyone care about what he has to say?

daslicer
11-30-2017, 11:10 PM
Colin has been saying the Spurs are not title contenders for close to 20 years now. He's pretty much a parrot.

BatManu20
11-30-2017, 11:25 PM
Cow-turd is a notorious Spurs hater tbh. Pay him no mind. If Golden State is healthy, then they're the clear favorites obviously (thanks to KD's bitch-ass). But that doesn't mean we aren't "contenders." We still are. I'd take the Spurs with a healthy Kawhi over just about anybody in the league not named Golden State in a 7-game series, tbh. Even the red-hot Cavs. So yea, the Spurs are legit title contenders, whether he likes it or not.

bic50
11-30-2017, 11:50 PM
Spurs could be in the finals and he'd still say theyre not title contenders.

Darius Bieber
12-01-2017, 12:47 AM
They aren’t. It’s Golden State. That’s it. Then it’s the Rockets and Cavs and Celtics beneath them. Then it’s everyone else. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Mikeanaro
12-01-2017, 01:46 AM
They aren’t. It’s Golden State. That’s it. Then it’s the Rockets and Cavs and Celtics beneath them. Then it’s everyone else. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Cavs?

Amuseddaysleeper
12-01-2017, 02:18 AM
Spurs aren’t title contenders, too much dead weight on the roster.

Stabula
12-01-2017, 02:24 AM
:lol Even the Spur's bitch-made fans can't have confidence in their own team which is holding onto the three seed (right behind GSW) without arguably the best player in the game right now. Yes you pussies the Spurs are absolutely title contenders and have just as good a shot as anyone to go all the way.

BillMc
12-01-2017, 03:46 AM
Spurs could be in the finals and he'd still say theyre not title contenders.
:lol This.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-01-2017, 03:58 AM
Cavs?

Cavs would be lucky to push it to five games

r0drig0lac
12-01-2017, 06:40 AM
fuck Colin daiuiuhqwheqwu, who cares?

BanditHiro
12-01-2017, 07:04 AM
:lol Even the Spur's bitch-made fans can't have confidence in their own team which is holding onto the three seed (right behind GSW) without arguably the best player in the game right now. Yes you pussies the Spurs are absolutely title contenders and have just as good a shot as anyone to go all the way.

if the Warriors get fucked by injuries than sure the Spurs are title contenders but since they are the luckiest team when it comes to injuries that will never happen and no other team stands a chance against them in a 7 game series. Durant killed any semblance of parity when he joined the Warriors.

tholdren
12-01-2017, 07:23 AM
Why arent they?

SuperCam
12-01-2017, 08:36 AM
cowlerd was the only one willing to call out poop on his schtick and riding duncan to 5 rings, while the rest of the media still eats his ass, tbh

skulls138
12-01-2017, 08:44 AM
^^^^ :lmao 5 rings is 5 rings. Cowturd is petty, he hates the Spurs cuz they win and you're taking his side over Pop. :lmao

UZER
12-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Cowherd likes nothing but glitz and glam, sexy, and big markets. He even says it outright on his show. I haven't listened to him I'm quite some time.

SpursFan86
12-01-2017, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't even think of calling us title contenders until we see what Kawhi looks like when he comes back. Even if he returns and is just as good as he was last year, I still think we're a long shot to take down GS...so I don't really have an issue with someone saying we aren't contenders.

All that being said, Cowherd is still a ****.

Dex
12-01-2017, 10:57 AM

Sad but true. Right now, the Warriors are Goliath, and the rest of the league is a bunch of Davids.

That's not to say the Warriors can't be beaten...but it would be a major upset for any team who could pull it off.

coachmac87
12-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Spurs aren’t title contenders, too much dead weight on the roster.

What defines a title contender? How many are there? And who is contending for a title?

SAGirl
12-01-2017, 11:43 AM
There are many alleged fans... there are a number of trolls who are fans of other teams, one just never knows here.... but many alleged fans have no freaking heart to root for their team, then call it being a realist.

Wasn't Kawhi an MVP candidate the past season? Then wait until the man comes back and shows up.

coachmac87
12-01-2017, 11:55 AM
There are many alleged fans... there are a number of trolls who are fans of other teams, one just never knows here.... but many alleged fans have no freaking heart to root for their team, then call it being a realist.

Wasn't Kawhi an MVP candidate the past season? Then wait until the man comes back and shows up.

The same people who call the Spurs pretenders are the same who said the Thunder jumped them in ranking etc.

They move the goal post for every argument when they're wrong...

It's like some would rather have the Spurs fail so they can be "right" instead of Spurs success and then proved to be "wrong". Spurs success is what we should all want but clearly there's more important personal agendas on this forum lol

phxspurfan
12-01-2017, 01:14 PM

Dubs are the '03 Lakers this year. Bored with the regular season, and can turn it on in an instant because of their version of prime Shaq (KD).

skulls138
12-01-2017, 02:49 PM

Wasn't Kawhi an MVP candidate the past season? Then wait until the man comes back and shows up.Exactly. Everybody knows that if Kawhi gets back and it all gels were inarguably top 5, arguably top 3. What does that mean? These little ol' Spurs got under somebody's skin.

Proxy
12-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Who gets angry at this? Who even watches/listens to Cowherd? The 50 year old san antonian that barely knows how to use the internet?

Kool Bob Love
12-01-2017, 04:02 PM

No Duncan, no chance

Budkin
12-01-2017, 04:30 PM
He’s never been able to stomach the Spurs because they are “not entertaining.”

tholdren
12-01-2017, 06:58 PM
The same people who call the Spurs pretenders are the same who said the Thunder jumped them in ranking etc.

They move the goal post for every argument when they're wrong...

It's like some would rather have the Spurs fail so they can be "right" instead of Spurs success and then proved to be "wrong". Spurs success is what we should all want but clearly there's more important personal agendas on this forum lol

Yep. Several low iq posters on here... just look at this thread

Darius Bieber
12-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Cavs?

Just because they are in the east. Easy route to the conference finals tbh

weebo
12-01-2017, 08:01 PM
As of today, every team still has a shot at the POs, so that means that every team has a shot at making the Finals.

sananspursfan21
12-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Coward said that?

exstatic
12-01-2017, 08:45 PM
Dubs are the '03 Lakers this year. Bored with the regular season, and can turn it on in an instant because of their version of prime Shaq (KD).

03 Lakers lost to us in the playoffs.

Phenomanul
12-02-2017, 02:24 AM

Hopefully it's a good omen / Freudian slip

Stabula
12-02-2017, 02:40 AM
"Presti hitting home runs adding George and Melo to the roster while Drunkford signs Rudy Fag :lol. Spurs are a thing of the past." 75% of this board in the off-season.

raybies
12-02-2017, 03:40 AM
"Presti hitting home runs adding George and Melo to the roster while Drunkford signs Rudy Fag :lol. Spurs are a thing of the past." 75% of this board in the off-season.
yup... didn't believe the hype for one minute. I was happy for them, for losing KD... got a friend who's a Thunder fan from OKC, but I guessed they'd implode in the playoffs, not so soon. Still time though so we'll see if they can right the ship.

Arcadian
12-02-2017, 03:57 AM

According to the ST consensus, Rudy Gay was "done" and a "cancer," Tony Parker would be a useless cripple if he ever played again, and OKC would be a top 3 team in the west. Aldridge could never be a first option on offense, and Pau Gasol was the worst thing since the Holocaust.

:lol Dumbasses

BackHome
12-02-2017, 04:51 AM

Damn laying down the smack down of the night. Lol. I felt that burn :toast

Horse
12-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Fuck this douche! Healthy Kawhi I like our chance against anyone. It's all mental with the warriors and Kawhi will not back down. You keep swinging they will give in.

Raven
12-02-2017, 09:42 AM
we're perennial contenders, anyone thinking otherwise, is just laughable.

Raven
12-02-2017, 09:49 AM

meh i think the two statements combined were quite unpopular, usually it's one of the two.

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-02-2017, 10:05 AM
No Duncan, no chance

Capt Bringdown
12-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Nobody is beating GS for years to come, barring injuries and/or some league rule changes. They will beat Jordan's Bull's 6-championship run.

They have luckily and shrewdly built a team that can run the tables, championship wise, as did the Bill Russell era Celtics. I say shrewdly, but not so much, as it is not rocket science when you have an all-star team as your core.

I think the Spurs were in a similar situation during the Duncan era, if not for some bad luck and some astonishingly bad team craftsmanship. One might say that the Spurs accomplished greatness with what they had, but then there are all those years of Richard Jefferson, the Turd towers, broken-down Dice, Finley, etc. Those were some terrible decisions that I just don't see other elite Championship teams making. I mean, do you see Phil Jackson (granted, he sucks now) depending so heavily on over-the-hill bums such as Dice and Finley? Not gonna happen.

5 is nice, but we shoulda had more. GS ain't gonna make those mistakes.

phxspurfan
12-02-2017, 01:24 PM

'02, whatever

please dont tell me you're the kid who corrects others grammar too

Hopefully it's a good omen / Freudian slip

nope, just a long ass time ago and who really cares about recounting Lakers championships

skulls138
12-02-2017, 01:28 PM
Uh, no. Spurs would have won more if one team didn't have Kobi, Shaq and Phil Jackson. That we won 5 rings in that era is frickin amazing. We also beat the Detroit Pistons, a team of destiny.

As for GSW? Maybe. You never can tell the future. What GSW can count on to help them is the lack of talent and fundamentals in today's game. Spurs probably need one more player to truly compete with them but as I said last year, size matters in the playoffs and we have size. If you dont believe that size matters and that small ball rules consider why GSW won last year, because of KDs size. Talent wise I like Curry better but hes small and it shows in the playoffs.

exstatic
12-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Nobody is beating GS for years to come, barring injuries and/or some league rule changes. They will beat Jordan's Bull's 6-championship run.

They have luckily and shrewdly built a team that can run the tables, championship wise, as did the Bill Russell era Celtics. I say shrewdly, but not so much, as it is not rocket science when you have an all-star team as your core.

I think the Spurs were in a similar situation during the Duncan era, if not for some bad luck and some astonishingly bad team craftsmanship. One might say that the Spurs accomplished greatness with what they had, but then there are all those years of Richard Jefferson, the Turd towers, broken-down Dice, Finley, etc. Those were some terrible decisions that I just don't see other elite Championship teams making. I mean, do you see Phil Jackson (granted, he sucks now) depending so heavily on over-the-hill bums such as Dice and Finley? Not gonna happen.

The luxury tax will beat them. Their projected payroll + tax for the season after this is $400M. To put that into perspective, their entire income stream from everything last season was $300M. No ownership group, no matter how much they want to win, is going to drag their team into red ink totaling $100M, and increasing every year after.

tonight...you
12-02-2017, 08:15 PM
The luxury tax will beat them. Their projected payroll + tax for the season after this is $400M. To put that into perspective, their entire income stream from everything last season was $300M. No ownership group, no matter how much they want to win, is going to drag their team into red ink totaling $100M, and increasing every year after.
We personally witnessed our own team's stars take pay cuts to keep the team together. Durant just followed suit.
What makes you think the other players coming up will do different?

Edit: and the ownership group is super-rich.
Not like our beloved Spurs owners, now with wifey in the running of operations management at this point.

They ain't Silicon rich, but Sanny Franny is. Don't pin your hopes on this fallacy.

Spurtacular
12-02-2017, 08:28 PM
I consider the Spurs a dark horse more than a contender. If dark horse status teams are contenders, then Colin is plain wrong.

exstatic
12-02-2017, 09:43 PM
We personally witnessed our own team's stars take pay cuts to keep the team together. Durant just followed suit.

Edit: and the ownership group is super-rich.
Not like our beloved Spurs owners, now with wifey in the running of operations management at this point.

They ain't Silicon rich, but Sanny Franny is. Don't pin your hopes on this fallacy.
There’s a difference between going into the tax, and running a business at a loss. No owner will do that. To avoid that payroll, they would have to completely dump two of the four, most likely Klay and Raymond. This is what the tax was designed for. The players would all have to work for half MAX for this to continue. This isn’t Miami’s big three each giving up a mil per year. Try fifteen times that.

Spurtacular
12-02-2017, 10:01 PM
There’s a difference between going into the tax, and running a business at a loss. No owner will do that. To avoid that payroll, they would have to completely dump two of the four, most likely Klay and Raymond. This is what the tax was designed for. The players would all have to work for half MAX for this to continue. This isn’t Miami’s big three each giving up a mil per year. Try fifteen times that.

Thus far, nobody is giving up shit. Curry and Durant getting theirs.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-02-2017, 11:23 PM
What defines a title contender? How many are there? And who is contending for a title?

Someone who has a great chance of winning the title.

That’s only the warriors.

cd98
12-03-2017, 12:08 AM
Cowherd is a troll that Spurstalk feeds.

coachmac87
12-03-2017, 12:11 AM
Someone who has a great chance of winning the title.

That’s only the warriors.

Hmmm that sounds like a "championship favorite"

Is there not a difference between the two?

daslicer
12-03-2017, 01:01 AM

I don't buy into that bs. People said the same thing about the Lakers back in '01. I remember at the time everybody was saying the Lakers were going to win out for the whole entire decade and we saw how that ended up. The Warriors have a high chance of 3 peating with their current team but I see nothing beyond that.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-03-2017, 01:07 AM
Hmmm that sounds like a "championship favorite"

Is there not a difference between the two?

The Warriors are just so far ahead of the pack, and this is one of the weaker Spurs team of the decade. It's honestly good to see LMA bounce back but even the 2014 Spurs would be pushed hard with these Warriors.

It sucks because while I think this current era of the NBA is very overrated, if you removed the Warriors from the league the NBA playoffs would be wide open and so much more fun.

Spurtacular
12-03-2017, 01:30 AM
I think it's laughable that CC was putting the Rockets so high. They are a relatively easy team to contain in a series. They lack fortitude and are not that hard to crack.

UZER
12-03-2017, 01:57 AM
I think it's laughable that CC was putting the Rockets so high. They are a relatively easy team to contain in a series. They lack fortitude and are not that hard to crack.

He likes sex appeal so he ignores good teams that are boring and will promote crappy teams that have 'fun' star power. It's all about ratings for him. That's it.

coachmac87
12-03-2017, 03:00 AM
The Warriors are just so far ahead of the pack, and this is one of the weaker Spurs team of the decade. It's honestly good to see LMA bounce back but even the 2014 Spurs would be pushed hard with these Warriors.

It sucks because while I think this current era of the NBA is very overrated, if you removed the Warriors from the league the NBA playoffs would be wide open and so much more fun.

I kinda feel like the Warriors are very similar to the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. They were extremely loved by the media and the league..and on top of that had dominant talent on the court..arguably the most dominant force in Shaq. I dunno about you but when we battled in the playoffs even though we got swept I felt like we were close or didn't get a fair shot...

Do I think we can beat the Warriors? Probably not but I do feel we can "contend" with them and if I had to put money on anyone beating them in a series it's the Spurs..

And tbh when have thr Spurs ever been the favorite?? Even in title years I don't think they were overwhelmingly favored.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-03-2017, 03:44 AM

Rockets look damn good is Chris Paul is going to cause all kinds of problems for us in the playoffs. We match up poorly with him.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-03-2017, 03:50 AM

Because the Spurs taking paycuts lead to the team not going over the tax, or being just barely over it - they couldn't afford to pay more even for a championship team, whereas these Warriors are always way above the tax - by more than $15 mil this season, and also the penalties for this are way higher than they were in the mid 2000s, especially for repeat tax offenders. Of course it's possible they're so rich they won't mind being in the red, but this is doubtful.

r0drig0lac
12-03-2017, 04:29 AM

Iguodala (ultra beta) being a mole in the series nuggets x gsw? Durbeta being the most cowardly person in human history? or Jerry West denying to include Klay in a trade for Kevin Love?

The fun part is that the first was one of the dirtiest situations in history and no one talks about it, Durant has a record of 0-1 in playoff series without another superstar in his team, the only real "luck" was to have Jerry West for so long on your FO

TD 21
12-03-2017, 06:15 PM
I kinda feel like the Warriors are very similar to the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. They were extremely loved by the media and the league..and on top of that had dominant talent on the court..arguably the most dominant force in Shaq. I dunno about you but when we battled in the playoffs even though we got swept I felt like we were close or didn't get a fair shot...

Do I think we can beat the Warriors? Probably not but I do feel we can "contend" with them and if I had to put money on anyone beating them in a series it's the Spurs..

And tbh when have thr Spurs ever been the favorite?? Even in title years I don't think they were overwhelmingly favored.

:lol Not even close. That was a dynamic duo, that lacked chemistry and depth. These arrogant pricks have all of those things, but they also have what Spurs did in Duncan era: A collective IQ that makes them even greater than the sum of their parts. Other than '01, those Lakers teams were always vulnerable.

'04-'05, but favorite is different than having a chance. Saying Spurs don't have one is not a knock either, because it's more than likely going to require an all-time team to beat them at full strength and there hasn't been another one of those since '14 Spurs.

coachmac87
12-03-2017, 08:22 PM
:lol Not even close. That was a dynamic duo, that lacked chemistry and depth. These arrogant pricks have all of those things, but they also have what Spurs did in Duncan era: A collective IQ that makes them even greater than the sum of their parts. Other than '01, those Lakers teams were always vulnerable.

'04-'05, but favorite is different than having a chance. Saying Spurs don't have one is not a knock either, because it's more than likely going to require an all-time team to beat them at full strength and there hasn't been another one of those since '14 Spurs.

Did you not agree with my reasoning? They're not identical I said they're similar and listed my reasons why.

And did you think the 14' Spurs could be an "all time" team going into the season? Especially after Game 6. Hind sight is always 20/20..

TD 21
12-03-2017, 09:53 PM
Did you not agree with my reasoning? They're not identical I said they're similar and listed my reasons why.

And did you think the 14' Spurs could be an "all time" team going into the season? Especially after Game 6. Hind sight is always 20/20..

Obviously not. They have one thing in common: An all-time duo.

They didn't become that until the playoffs and there was no way to predict them hitting the level they did. Of course, it was aided by the Ibaka injury, but they were a hell of a closer than this team . . . keep comparing everything to the past though and pretending nothing's changed.

Phenomanul
12-04-2017, 09:50 AM
According to the ST consensus, Rudy Gay was "done" and a "cancer," Tony Parker would be a useless cripple if he ever played again, and OKC would be a top 3 team in the west. Aldridge could never be a first option on offense, and Pau Gasol was the worst thing since the Holocaust.

:lol Dumbasses

Seconded... essentially all of SpursTalk's assertions/basket-ball takes/predictions are waaaaaaaaay off.

coachmac87
12-04-2017, 02:39 PM
Obviously not. They have one thing in common: An all-time duo.

They didn't become that until the playoffs and there was no way to predict them hitting the level they did. Of course, it was aided by the Ibaka injury, but they were a hell of a closer than this team . . . keep comparing everything to the past though and pretending nothing's changed.

They have dominant talent which I stated in my post..I also added that they're overwhelmingly loved by the media. And you can honestly add the "elite" coach label if you want..

What you mean you couldn't predict it?? They literally were 28 seconds from winning a title and the "beautiful game" was already established..

You wouldn't label the 14' team before because they "choked" and lost...but you can spin it anyway you want.. and you literally killed your own statement about the 14' team yet using Ibaka injury as an excuse lol

And what do you mean comparing to the past and act like nothing has changed? What's wrong comparing with Two possible dynasties? Especially when your team is probably one of the leading contenders to dethrone them.

tholdren
12-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Seconded... essentially all of SpursTalk's assertions/basket-ball takes/predictions are waaaaaaaaay off.

Gasol was terrible last playoffs. And is still considered terrible until he does well in the playoffs

TD 21
12-04-2017, 07:17 PM
They have dominant talent which I stated in my post..I also added that they're overwhelmingly loved by the media. And you can honestly add the "elite" coach label if you want..

What you mean you couldn't predict it?? They literally were 28 seconds from winning a title and the "beautiful game" was already established..

You wouldn't label the 14' team before because they "choked" and lost...but you can spin it anyway you want.. and you literally killed your own statement about the 14' team yet using Ibaka injury as an excuse lol

And what do you mean comparing to the past and act like nothing has changed? What's wrong comparing with Two possible dynasties? Especially when your team is probably one of the leading contenders to dethrone them.

:lol At insinuating that arrogant phony Kerr might be an elite coach.

So every team that almost wins a championship or does in fact do so is an all-time team?

No, I wouldn't label them because they weren't all-time until they started being so sometime around game 5 of the WCQF. I'm also objective enough to realize they were helped along by the Ibaka injury.

Regarding Spurs. This whole mentality of, "well, they've been an underdog in the past and won championships, so why not now?", is nonsense.

coachmac87
12-04-2017, 07:34 PM
:lol At insinuating that arrogant phony Kerr might be an elite coach.

So every team that almost wins a championship or does in fact do so is an all-time team?

No, I wouldn't label them because they weren't all-time until they started being so sometime around game 5 of the WCQF. I'm also objective enough to realize they were helped along by the Ibaka injury.

Regarding Spurs. This whole mentality of, "well, they've been an underdog in the past and won championships, so why not now?", is nonsense.

You're completely missing the point with your pessimistic glasses. And the only elite team talk fans out YOUR moth about 14' I tried to explain your 20/20 hindsight to jusity your point.

I compared the Lakers/Warriors with their dominant talent and media favoritism...the Spurs then and now have the Warriors the most problems..it feels similar as a fan. Like we didn't get a fair shot against LA with DA injury or refs etc.. and now with the Kawhi. Never said we will beat them but there's an interest in finding out IMO..........

It