PDA

View Full Version : This team can challenge GS, imo

FkLA
12-04-2017, 11:02 PM
So much length. And surprisingly it's actually a really well constructed roster now that we've seen them for a quarter of a season. Not saying they'd be the favorites obviously but it's not out of the realms of possibility, tbh.

dabom
The Closer.

bklynspursfan
They could have last year, and this year they might be better equipped. Just gotta wait and see, and of course get the Klaw back

raybies
12-04-2017, 11:03 PM
So much length. And surprisingly it's actually a really well constructed roster now that we've seen them for a quarter of a season. Not saying they'd be the favorites obviously but it's not out of the realms of possibility, tbh.
I'm with it :toast

daslicer
12-04-2017, 11:04 PM
They could have last year, and this year they might be better equipped. Just gotta wait and see, and of course get the Klaw back

This is pretty much how I feel. Just have to hope they are not successful at injuring Kawhi again.

99 Problems
12-04-2017, 11:09 PM
Time to extend MVP. Should have signed him to the 5

kjhip1
12-04-2017, 11:10 PM
at the minimum, if we get last year's Klaw back, then I like the match especially with gay's versatility and length.. id be interested to see what the Spurs look like heading to all star break/rodeo trip.

dabom
12-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Time to extend MVP. Should have signed him to the 5

Top 10 poster on ST. There I said it. :toast

SAGirl
12-04-2017, 11:23 PM
I BELIEVE TOO FKLA
good thread.
:flag:

SAGirl
12-04-2017, 11:24 PM
This is pretty much how I feel. Just have to hope they are not successful at injuring Kawhi again.
This is the caveat...
of course.

Mr. Body
12-04-2017, 11:26 PM
Need Kawhi back.

Robz4000
12-04-2017, 11:41 PM
Too early imo, and there's a few teams that can beat them before they get to the Dubs (Pelicans, Guests, maybe T-Pups). However, Rudy coming in looking like the player before the Achilles tear and Fathead becoming a good player helps a lot. Kawhi meshing with this season's LMA will also need to be seen.

rastaspur
12-04-2017, 11:57 PM
The flexible roster pieces, mainly from a defensive perspective (gay, anderson, danny and lastly and leastly dejounte ) and main cogs (kawhi, lma, patty ) have to be healthy and clicking come playoff time.

If the team is intact come playoff time then the spurs can definitely give them a run for their money.

rastaspur
12-05-2017, 12:02 AM
I think the team was constructed for the warriors. However, the Rockets scare me more. With paul there and capella blossoming I think they are a tougher matchup.

The paul capella tandem is going to give the spurs all sorts of fits. Capella is a better side kick than d. jordan imo.

DarrinS
12-05-2017, 12:04 AM
Maybe with a healthy Kawhi. Even then, it’s a stretch.

SAGirl
12-05-2017, 12:05 AM
The flexible roster pieces, mainly from a defensive perspective (gay, anderson, danny and lastly and leastly dejounte ) and main cogs (kawhi, lma, patty ) have to be healthy and clicking come playoff time.

If the team is intact come playoff time then the spurs can definitely give them a run for their money.
agree.

Also I think the micro lineups of Patty/Bryn, Bryn/Tony and Patty/Tony are a consequence of the injuries. When they are all healthy this team will have size and versatility.

I think all three of Davis, Dijon and Kyle have earned playing time and it will be tricky for Pop to find it but he has to. In different ways each makes the team better.

rastaspur
12-05-2017, 12:22 AM
agree.

Also I think the micro lineups of Patty/Bryn, Bryn/Tony and Patty/Tony are a consequence of the injuries. When they are all healthy this team will have size and versatility.

I think all three of Davis, Dijon and Kyle have earned playing time and it will be tricky for Pop to find it but he has to. In different ways each makes the team better.

Bertans recent play puts him into the mix as one of those flexible pieces. I hope pop finds playing tI'm here and tgere to keep him engaged, give him confidence and keep him from getting rusty.

It's a gamble of a roster and one big man injury away of turning into strictly small ball for the entire ty of every game.

Gasol and lma can't get injured long term. A joff injury might be problematic against the warriors if gasol becomes unplayable against their small lineups.

TheGreatYacht
12-05-2017, 01:39 AM
Niggas still think we can hang with them? :lol we're such a joke they always let us have 25+pt leads only they can be up at the end of the 3rd quarter. Kerr has two sons living in San Antonio.

Arcadian
12-05-2017, 01:59 AM
Yeah because GS got worse and the Spurs (probably) got better, and we already gave them trouble last year.

spursgu
12-05-2017, 02:15 AM
Too early to tell, I agree. I think the Warriors are coasting too. The spurs have potential though. All the pieces have to come together.

tmtcsc
12-05-2017, 02:23 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/h2lkpFe8Tltfy/giphy.gif

LakerHater
12-05-2017, 02:32 AM
if Rudy gay gets some plays

marinoman
12-05-2017, 02:35 AM
https://i.imgur.com/sdDIG5K.gif

Fireball
12-05-2017, 07:56 AM
if the GSW die in a plane crash ... then perhaps

John B
12-05-2017, 08:10 AM
And to think Spurs fans wanted CP3, George and even Melo :lmao

John B
12-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Niggas still think we can hang with them? :lol we're such a joke they always let us have 25+pt leads only they can be up at the end of the 3rd quarter. Kerr has two sons living in San Antonio.

As disappointing maybe to watch for Spurs fans, that’s a set-up for Pops to have them under estimate the Spurs when it really matter — away game at Dubs or OKC during playoffs and steal that away game. At least I want to think it that way :lol

xtremesteven33
12-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Of course Spurs can beat the Warriors. They have all the tools to do so. They have versatility and experience. I also think the Warriors are not as good as they have been. Too many 3 point shooters who have no inside presence. Pop would exploit these weaknesses in a 7 game series.

cjw
12-05-2017, 09:38 AM
I think the team was constructed for the warriors. However, the Rockets scare me more. With paul there and capella blossoming I think they are a tougher matchup.

The paul capella tandem is going to give the spurs all sorts of fits. Capella is a better side kick than d. jordan imo.

Not sure if they scare me more yet, but agree with you completely that the Spurs can’t overlook them based on the fact they won without Kawhi and Parker. Capella has been outstanding, and CP3 has meshed well. The Tucker and Mbah a Moute signings were steals and show Morey’s magic.

Kool Bob Love
12-05-2017, 09:46 AM
No Duncan. No chance.

NameLess Scrub
12-05-2017, 09:50 AM
No challenge, just losing to the superteam.

Phenomanul
12-05-2017, 09:54 AM
I've been saying this since last year... Kawhi can get into Durant's and Klay's head, and Danny Green can at least partially contain Curry. If Draymond doesn't get into LMA's head, the Spurs are golden.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Put down the kool aid, Warriors winning in five even with a healthy Kawhi.

Our bigs are always too soft against GS, this GS team when focused will crush the Spurs. Spurs are third best in the West after Warriors and Rockets. Chris Paul owns us.

Spur|n|Austin
12-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Doesn't seem like the same Warriors team as last season. Throw in a shaky ankle situation with Curry and we may have a better chance this year. Of course, as everyone has already said, depends on Kawhi's health. I'm honestly really glad Pop and the FO have taken their time in bringing him back. No point in risking his/their future.

TheGreatYacht
12-05-2017, 11:24 AM
I've been saying this since last year... Kawhi can get into Durant's and Klay's head, and Danny Green can at least partially contain Curry. If Draymond doesn't get into LMA's head, the Spurs are golden.
Lol Green can't contain Reggie Jackson much less a 2x MVP. Just like in 2013, the only thing that can stop Steph are his ankles.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Lol Green can't contain Reggie Jackson much less a 2x MVP. Just like in 2013, the only thing that can stop Steph are his ankles.

THIS

I love Danny Green but Steph Curry has made the Spurs his bitch for years. Durant also has a field day against SA and we haven't even brought up Klay Thompson yet.

Because the Spurs looked good for 3 quarters prior to Kawhi's injury fans are letting it get to their heads that they can beat GS. GS is sleepwalking right now and the Spurs wouldn't be able to push the series past 5 games. They are better than the Spurs in just about every facet outside of rebounding.

Phenomanul
12-05-2017, 11:51 AM
THIS

I love Danny Green but Steph Curry has made the Spurs his bitch for years. Durant also has a field day against SA and we haven't even brought up Klay Thompson yet.

Because the Spurs looked good for 3 quarters prior to Kawhi's injury fans are letting it get to their heads that they can beat GS. GS is sleepwalking right now and the Spurs wouldn't be able to push the series past 5 games. They are better than the Spurs in just about every facet outside of rebounding.

Not counting last year's playoff sweep the Spurs have a winning record against the Dubs going back to 2013, 2014 or even if you place the qualifier on their first championship year 2015. They are the only NBA team that can claim that. Kerr knows the Spurs are a legitimate challenge to their reign which is why goon Zaza was signed.

NameLess Scrub
12-05-2017, 12:03 PM
If the Spurs beat GSW that would probably be one of the biggest upsets ever. Since 2015 the Warriors, be talent or reffing or both, are just too hard to beat. It took injuries and Draymond's crazy brain to lose the '16 championship. They are made to easily win and they will. They are a stronger superteam than the Heat were when the Spurs took it to them in 2013.

I'd love to see it. Would be the ultimate Spurs slap to the world of big markets markets and overhyped stars, but it will most likely not happen.

kjhip1
12-05-2017, 12:14 PM
THIS

I wouldn't say fans are basing this just off of the first playoff game last year. The Spurs have consistently shown the ability to get up big on these guys. The Spurs have the length and defensive prowess to match up well with Golden state. I will say though that SA has to play mistake free against these guys where as golden state has more leeway to make mistakes as they do have that ability to just come back in bunches. Just once I'd like to see this series with both teams at full strength.

Brazil
12-05-2017, 12:16 PM
As long as MVParker is part of the rotation there will always be a chance tbh

benefactor
12-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Need Kawhi back.
Many takes have graced this great community we call ST, but this my friends is the pinnacle of basketball intellect and should be celebrated by every fan...both casual and die hard...that reads anything basketball related this season and beyond. You sir, are a beacon of wisdom shining bright for all the world to see.

I will share this great take with all people I come in contact with, whether they are basketball fans or not, because I know when they hear these words they will see the value in having true basketball knowledge they will choose to begin studying the game so that they might develop the wisdom to pay it forward with their own great takes.

r0drig0lac
12-05-2017, 01:04 PM
As long as MVParker is part of the rotation there will always be a chance tbh

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-05-2017, 02:53 PM
They have a chance if healthy. Even without Kawhi they're 2nd in DefRtg, this is truly amazing. They'll need Kawhi for his offense though, he gives them another gear offensively.

Btw can't wait for some dumb stats geek to write an article about how Kawhi makes the Spurs defense worse in the case they're not that good the first few games after he's back :lol

SAGirl
12-05-2017, 03:22 PM
Yeah because GS got worse and the Spurs (probably) got better, and we already gave them trouble last year.
:flag::lobt2::bobo
Not sure if GSW is worse or not, and it doesn't matter.

It does depend on Kawhi coming back and staying healthy of course and the Spurs being a better team than they were last season.

Robz4000
12-05-2017, 03:26 PM
THIS

Shit, Dubs have been better than the Spurs at rebounding in recent H2H matchups too.

timtonymanu
12-05-2017, 03:34 PM
GS isn’t worse. :lol

People were saying this last year when they started off struggling against .500 teams. They’re just going through the motions now and looks like they finally stopped caring about getting the best regular season record. They’re scary when focused.

That being said, Spurs are also a solid team when Kawhi is healthy. 2nd best team in the West, imo. Fuck the Rockets.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-05-2017, 03:41 PM
GS isn’t worse. :lol

People were saying this last year when they started off struggling against .500 teams. They’re just going through the motions now and looks like they finally stopped caring about getting the best regular season record. They’re scary when focused.

That being said, Spurs are also a solid team when Kawhi is healthy. 2nd best team in the West, imo. Fuck the Rockets.

I'm worried about Houston man, adding Chris Paul is going to be a bitch to deal with. Although if Houston finishes with the one seed and we are second or third seed we may not even get to face them if GS is in the second round.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-05-2017, 03:42 PM
Shit, Dubs have been better than the Spurs at rebounding in recent H2H matchups too.

Okay, then we are really fucked :lol

Robz4000
12-05-2017, 03:59 PM
I'm worried about Houston man, adding Chris Paul is going to be a bitch to deal with. Although if Houston finishes with the one seed and we are second or third seed we may not even get to face them if GS is in the second round.

CP0 and Harden will melt down per par come the second round tbh.

timtonymanu
12-05-2017, 04:03 PM
CP0 and Harden will melt down per par come the second round tbh.

Only one of them can dribble the ball too. Do you let harden or cp3 run the offense? Don’t see how CP3 fits on that team at all.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-05-2017, 04:09 PM
Only one of them can dribble the ball too. Do you let harden or cp3 run the offense? Don’t see how CP3 fits on that team at all.

Well you can stagger them, or have them take turns. I think Harden was exhausted in that Spurs series last year but that may no tbe the case with Paul helping out with the load this year.

I also can't stand the Rockets, and that shitty chucking 90 threes a game bullshit.

Robz4000
12-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Well you can stagger them, or have them take turns. I think Harden was exhausted in that Spurs series last year but that may no tbe the case with Paul helping out with the load this year.

I also can't stand the Rockets, and that shitty chucking 90 threes a game bullshit.

You gotta play your best players as much as you can tbh, and _'Antoni notoriously has short rotations. Harden and CP0 are gonna be on the court together a lot in the postseason.

Keepin' it real
12-05-2017, 04:22 PM

We did, and we still do.

r0drig0lac
12-05-2017, 04:38 PM

try watching the games, they are playing a ridiculously efficient offense and even better after the return of cp3

ElNono
12-05-2017, 05:02 PM
define "Challenge"? 5 games max?

John B
12-05-2017, 05:14 PM
We did, and we still do.

OKC has 2 of 3 and where are they? CP3 yes if we don’t have to gut the whole team. But from what we can afford and they are playing the 3rd best record in the West without 2 of the starters, one of them named Kawhi? I mean, sometimes Spurs fans take for granted how good our FO is. Fu*kin genius.

coachmac87
12-05-2017, 05:39 PM
The fact that we haven't seen both teams fully healthy more than once is what makes it interesting....

MaNu4Tres
12-05-2017, 05:45 PM
It's all on Pop to put the right pieces in place when competition is at its highest. Optimal lineup implementation is key against GS. Pop has been pretty poor with his lineups/substitutions in the exit rounds the past 3 years.

TD 21
12-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Have to hope that a combination of Warriors arrogance and Spurs pent up aggression from waiting 4 years to face them at full strength in a series and repeatedly losing big leads to them, leads to stealing game 1. From there, figure Spurs pull one out at home. Obviously, the longer it goes the more the pressure increases on them as well as the chances of significant injury (both ways, but they're long overdue).

Spurs would probably be better off matching up with them in the WCSF. Don't want to have to overcome a knockdown, drag out series vs Rockets and be worn down before facing them. Also, by then it'll have been 4 years in the making. Would like one healthy series against them just to end the speculation and see, once and for all, the exact extent of the gap.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-05-2017, 06:22 PM
It will depend on which team has the momentum when they face off, and which team is healthier. It will take a supreme effort to take the Warriors out...and historically the Spurs like to exhale a bit, and give their opponent an ounce of breathing room during a series before shutting the door on them, which could be disasterous against a team like the Warriors. Who knows, if the Spurs can get healthy and be hitting on all cylinders in the post season they stand at least a small chance of winning a head-to-head series...probably better than any other team in the league.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-05-2017, 06:24 PM
It will depend on which team has the momentum when they face off, and which team is healthier. It will take a supreme effort to take the Warriors out...and historically the Spurs like to exhale a bit, and give their opponent an ounce of breathing room during a series before shutting the door on them, which could be disasterous against a team like the Warriors. Who knows, if the Spurs can get healthy and be hitting on all cylinders in the post season they stand at least a small chance of winning a head-to-head series...probably better than any other team in the league.

I'd like to see the Spurs at least get to the WCF to be honest. I need to see this group perform in the post season, or at least see how this regular season continues to play out. Last year's conference finals were thanks to Kawhi carrying the team and the Rockets crumbling under pressure.

Down Under
12-05-2017, 06:44 PM
Three long, 2-way players like Kawhi, Gay & Anderson is what you need to challenge them IMO. They can handle a lot of switches. By far the biggest thing though is what's going to happen to LMA when Kawhi comes back. Have seen LMA rolling to the hoop a lot more, which is more encouraging than just iso post ups.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Their shot at challenging GS is must higher given the drastic improvement of Kyle Anderson and Murrary, LMA playing better, and along with the addition of Gay. Oh, and of course Kawhi.

sananspursfan21
12-05-2017, 10:18 PM

Not so fast. I bet if PG13 were on this roster, the media would be ranting and raving about how he revived his career. Gotta remember where these guys went to. The system man, the SYSTEM

tholdren
12-05-2017, 10:50 PM
Spurs will ring

r0drig0lac
12-06-2017, 05:43 AM
It's all on Pop to put the right pieces in place when competition is at its highest. Optimal lineup implementation is key against GS. Pop has been pretty poor with his lineups/substitutions in the exit rounds the past 3 years.

while I agree, in this specific case, there is a matter of difference of talent (in their primes), even with an A ++ performance of Pop, perhaps it is not enough even to make a balanced series

YGWHI
12-06-2017, 07:19 AM
if the GSW die in a plane crash ... then perhaps

It's likely all flight crew would die in the accident but GSW players would be ok...Without doubts they're the luckiest team in the history.

Stabula
12-06-2017, 07:19 AM

Grab a towel and wipe Curry's interracial cum off your face. Curry gets shut down in the playoffs regularly by defenders with length. The year he won MVP fucking Iguodala outplayed him for FMVP when it mattered.

YGWHI
12-06-2017, 07:28 AM
Anyway, if Rockets get the #1 seed, we'll face GSW in 2nd round.

At this point the #4 seems better than Spurs' #3.

UZER
12-06-2017, 08:55 AM

To be fair, Aldridge had just got through his second year of being a bitch and folding in the playoffs. And quite frankly, the jury is still out on him until he delivers post season.

DAF86
12-07-2017, 03:42 PM

try watching the games, they are playing a ridiculously efficient offense and even better after the return of cp3

Beat me to it, tbh.

I still don't understand why folks keep beating that dumb vanilla take drum. :lol

":cry it takes the ball out of Harden's hands :cry"
":cry how can they co-exist? :cry"
":cry only one ball :cry"

Doubting the CP3/Harden/D'antoni pairing beforehand was already dumb, but still dubting it after seeing how they are playing is beyond retarded.

Only doubt with that team is CP3's health and Harden's mental fortitude in the playoffs.

jARS mEsH sEt
12-07-2017, 09:14 PM
If we literally added someone like Kyrie Irving to our roster and lost Forbes or something GS would still be the favorites to win in a 7 game series.

You biased fucks are living in la la land if you think this team has a remote (> 10%) chance at winning.

If GS is a 10/10 we're a 6.5/10 at best with Kawhi playing out of his mind.

tonight...you
12-07-2017, 09:25 PM
If we literally added someone like Kyrie Irving to our roster and lost Forbes or something GS would still be the favorites to win in a 7 game series.

You biased fucks are living in la la land if you think this team has a remote (> 10%) chance at winning.

Wow. Right on homie. yee haw.

tholdren
12-08-2017, 12:34 AM

Go away