PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gay Running the Point Forward

Chris
12-04-2017, 11:41 PM
Secret weapon against GSW :makemyday

LMA pick n'roll can dish it out to a Kawhi ISO or wide open Green. I want to see more of this in the future.

Mr. Body
12-05-2017, 12:34 AM
I don't think RG's abilities have been tapped on this team yet. I hope Pop finds the time to get to them.

r0drig0lac
12-05-2017, 05:31 AM
Kawhi
Danny
Gay
Aldridge
Gasol or Bertans
it would be interesting to watch for a few minutes

Brazil
12-05-2017, 06:24 AM
I thought OP was only a Trump balls licker... he also watches bb ?

cutewizard
12-05-2017, 10:11 AM
:bobo

Joseph Kony
12-05-2017, 10:39 AM
he also thinks earth is flat :lmao

rastaspur
12-05-2017, 11:38 AM
:lol

Brazil
12-05-2017, 12:15 PM

nah... u kiddin' right ?

dabom
12-05-2017, 12:36 PM
nah... u kiddin' right ?

He doesn't.

Brazil
12-05-2017, 12:44 PM
He doesn't.

:lmao oh boy

Joseph Kony
12-05-2017, 01:20 PM
nah... u kiddin' right ?

Ahem...
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271343&p=9198261&viewfull=1#post9198261

He will get cooked by the Van Allen radiation belt if he goes too high. There is also the dome theory, with the snow globe Earth basically. The dome is impenetrable according to speculation.

Only a creationist, flat-earther dipshit would post some stupid crap like that :lmao

dabom
12-05-2017, 01:48 PM
:lmao oh boy

Ahem...
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271343&p=9198261&viewfull=1#post9198261

Only a creationist, flat-earther dipshit would post some stupid crap like that :lmao

He didn't go all in with that comment. I saw it when he posted it. He just a bad poster.

Chinook
12-05-2017, 02:00 PM
The Spurs just need to use a PG. The idea of running Gay, Kawhi or even Anderson there for long stretches isn't stable. It's great that all of those guys can handle the ball and make some plays but the difference between the Spurs when they try to do that versus when they have Tony run the offense is still night and day.

SAGirl
12-05-2017, 02:12 PM
They don't do it for big stretches (though we still have to see what happens with Kawhi) but they do it at key points, when they really need a bucket, when the pgs have been ineffective setting things up, sometimes to end the quarter. I think it's a matter of necessity currently. Tony is on minutes restrictions and frankly with his injury history depending on him and not getting others reps is irresponsible. Patty is not a traditional PG, Dejounte is raw and he does get his opportunities as well. Manu is 40 and you don't know if he will have a flashback Manu game or TO the ball 3 times in a row.

It is what it is. The forwards are a point of advantage for the Spurs and it's not going to be discontinued, but it also is just a small number of possessions when one considers that Patty, Manu, Tony and Dejounte do get the ball a lot more frankly for the PnR. But forward/big PnR is not going away... when Kawhi comes back to play it may become even more prominent.

wildbill2u
12-05-2017, 02:35 PM
By a point forward, I assume you mean a player who can see the floor and will pass to his team mates to run an offense. Seems to me that the ball gets lost in there somewhere when it reaches Rudy Gay's hands and doesn't reappear until his shot goes up.

cd98
12-05-2017, 02:46 PM
IF Gay running the point, hopefully he can get a better shot next time than that three at the end of regulation that missed everything but the backboard and was bailed out by the foul LMA drew under the basket trying to get the rebound.

Leetonidas
12-05-2017, 02:47 PM
^Gay had 4 assists last night and made some good plays with his passing so probably not the best time to make that comment tbh

TheRemix
12-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Kawhi
Danny
Gay
Aldridge
Gasol or Bertans
it would be interesting to watch for a few minutes

Manu, danny, kawhi, gay, aldridge is what I want to see

TheDoctor
12-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Manu, danny, kawhi, gay, aldridge is what I want to see
Tony, Manu, Kawhi, TD, DRob in their respective primes is what I want to see :wow

DAF86
12-05-2017, 03:48 PM
The Spurs just need to use a PG. The idea of running Gay, Kawhi or even Anderson there for long stretches isn't stable. It's great that all of those guys can handle the ball and make some plays but the difference between the Spurs when they try to do that versus when they have Tony run the offense is still night and day.

The offense has had better efficiency, when Tony isn't running it, for like the last 4 years in a row.

dabom
12-05-2017, 03:59 PM
The offense has had better efficiency, when Tony isn't running it, for like the last 4 years in a row.

Chinook
12-05-2017, 04:03 PM

Because a) That's usually because Manu had been running it. He wasn't in the OP and definitely isn't a point-forward and b) The Spurs have done that for short stretches when guys like Mills were hot. Finally c) there's a difference between efficiency and flow. The latter should lead to the former, but it hasn't the last couple of years.

DAF86
12-05-2017, 05:49 PM
Because a) That's usually because Manu had been running it. He wasn't in the OP and definitely isn't a point-forward and b) The Spurs have done that for short stretches when guys like Mills were hot. Finally c) there's a difference between efficiency and flow. The latter should lead to the former, but it hasn't the last couple of years.

And what good does flow do when you can't finish possesions with points? :lol

I hate to get into this argument 'cause people see the Argie flag and immediately think: "oh, another Manu fan and Tony hater", when that really isn't the case. All I care about is the Spurs doing as well as possible. During the last playoffs I was the first advocate of MVParker, tbh.

But for the past, almost, half a decade metrics show that Tony hasn't really been that effective and that, most often than not, Spurs tend to do better with lineups that doesn't include him. And if you see the games it really isn't that difficult to see why.

As Tony began to decline and he stopped being the focal point of the offense, his weaknesses started to become more obvious as an off-ball player, namely his lack of shooting and tendency to overdribble a bit.

Yes, he is still by far the best ballhandler of the team and a better pick and roll player than his backup point guards but that doesn't make up for those other huge weaknesses on today's NBA.

And against the Warriors he is specially ineffective because of the impossibility of being hide on defense. That's why I think the whole point forward thing that the OP brings is something worth exploring. But instead of Gay, I was thinking more of Anderson.

Are you telling me that a lineup of Anderson, Green, Kawhi, Gay/Bertans and Aldridge to finish off games against the Warriors isn't an interesting proposition?

tholdren
12-05-2017, 06:45 PM

I hate to get into this argument 'cause people see the Argie flag and immediately think: "oh, another Manu fan and Tony hater", when that really isn't the case. All I care about is the Spurs doing as well as possible. During the last playoffs I was the first advocate of MVParker, tbh.

But for the past, almost, half a decade metrics show that Tony hasn't really been that effective and that, most often than not, Spurs tend to do better with lineups that doesn't include him. And if you see the games it really isn't that difficult to see why.

As Tony began to decline and he stopped being the focal point of the offense, his weaknesses started to become more obvious as an off-ball player, namely his lack of shooting and tendency to overdribble a bit.

Yes, he is still by far the best ballhandler of the team and a better pick and roll player than his backup point guards but that doesn't make up for those other huge weaknesses on today's NBA.

And against the Warriors he is specially ineffective because of the impossibility of being hide on defense. That's why I think the whole point forward thing that the OP brings is something worth exploring. But instead of Gay, I was thinking more of Anderson.

Are you telling me that a lineup of Anderson, Green, Kawhi, Gay/Bertans and Aldridge to finish off games against the Warriors isn't an interesting proposition?

1. Advanced metrics are laughable

2. Parker needs to be on the floor to dictate pace

3. Yes that is a fun lineup

tdominate21
12-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Damn i want to see this lineup when we go small in the playoffs:

5 LA
4 Kyle
3 Gay
2 Kawhi
1 anyone

This is a BIG small ball lineup. Kawhi would FEAST at the 2. Rudy would do his thing. Kyle can hold his own. Then you got the old LA back. Really intriguing possibilities! Rudy Gay has changed the whole dynamic of this team with the possibility of this killer lineup.

BSfromTX
12-05-2017, 07:16 PM
Tony, Manu, Kawhi, TD, DRob in their respective primes is what I want to see :wow

That team would be scary

SAGirl
12-05-2017, 08:01 PM

As far as I am concerned, it's really ElNono who has soiled the reputation for Argies and the Manufan, which is really ironic bc Manu is one of the best teammates ever and he props up all his teammates. The Manufan hates on everybody but Manu.. but it's not really the Manufan who is a hater, but the most notorious of Manufans, which is ElNono. I have found most everyone else to be quite appreciative of the team in general even as supportive and admiring as they are of Manu. Anyways, /ElNono rant over.

ElNono trolls a lot, almost exclusively lately. You do not.

tonight...you
12-05-2017, 08:06 PM
As far as I am concerned, it's really ElNono who has soiled the reputation for Argies and the Manufan, which is really ironic bc Manu is one of the best teammates ever and he props up all his teammates. The Manufan hates on everybody but Manu.. but it's not really the Manufan who is a hater, but the most notorious of Manufans, which is ElNono. I have found most everyone else to be quite appreciative of the team in general even as supportive and admiring as they are of Manu. Anyways, /ElNono rant over.

This is true, especially the 1st part.

I like him feeling like he's having fun, but this is what has happened.

Not that this will change old boy... He;ll keep being him because where can he go from here?

He has to double down and be him.

r0drig0lac
12-05-2017, 08:11 PM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

SAGirl
12-05-2017, 08:14 PM
This is true, especially the 1st part.

I like him feeling like he's having fun, but this is what has happened.

Not that this will change old boy... He;ll keep being him because where can he go from here?

He has to double down and be him.
For sure.

I was just saying, I don't see the argie flag and immediately assume DAF has a subjective trolling intent.

ElNono
12-05-2017, 09:05 PM
I'm just a basketball fan... <shrug>

Kyle Andersonitis has just taken over here, it's disgusting, tbh... Duncan rolling in his grave, etc etc

ElNono
12-05-2017, 09:06 PM
tonight...you is one of my alts, BTW... which also means he's a dabom alt...

Sorry bro, didn't want to out you like that...

It's ok...

tholdren
12-05-2017, 10:55 PM
For sure.

I was just saying, I don't see the argie flag and immediately assume DAF has a subjective trolling intent.

Lolololol the list of trolls

LittleCriminal
12-06-2017, 01:29 AM
Hope now with a rotation that consists of Aldridge, Leonard, Gay and Bertans, in no way should the offense be stagnant.
It was pretty much 5 on 4 with Anderson in the starting lineup.

dabom
12-06-2017, 02:54 AM
tonight...you (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=31666) is one of my alts, BTW... which also means he's a dabom (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=47543) alt...

It's ok...

:lmao

Brazil
12-06-2017, 08:03 AM
Ahem...

He didn't go all in with that comment. I saw it when he posted it. He just a bad poster.

:lol tbh...

tonight...you
12-06-2017, 10:12 AM
tonight...you (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=31666) is one of my alts, BTW... which also means he's a dabom (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=47543) alt...

It's ok...
This is true...

SAGirl
12-06-2017, 11:05 AM
I'm just a basketball fan... <shrug>

Kyle Andersonitis has just taken over here, it's disgusting, tbh... Duncan rolling in his grave, etc etc
:lmao
not going to lie, made me laugh.
:hat