PDA

View Full Version : Where's the concern about robots and AI?

SpursforSix
12-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Whenever I mention anything about robots taking jobs to people in real life, they kind of nod their head and move on to another subject. Like I'm crazy or something.
And while it's starting to get a little press, I think this is one of the major stories of the next 10+ years.

Gonna put a lot of people out of work. Most of the low and mid end service industry. Most factory jobs and drivers. And pretty soon, plenty of white collar jobs will be obsolete. Not many industries will be immune to having robots or AI systems replace workers.

And yet there's not much press on how society is going to move forward at that point.

boutons_deux
12-05-2017, 03:56 PM
The loss of good jobs has already been in progress for decades, without AI and robots, ever since the oligarchy reacted to the 1930s progress and esp the 1960s progress. AI and robots (see an Amazon warehouse. with 100K+ shitty-paying retail jobs lost this year)

40M+ people are on working and/or subsisting on public assistance, which will be cut ASAP

For the oligarchy, probably 100M Americans are totally expendable, disposable, and 100Ks of them will suffer and die for lack of health care.

And the $100Bs costs of their sufferings and deaths will enrich the BigHealthCare oligarchy.

The Repug tax cut scam will cause much more damage, sooner, and for a long time than AI and robots, but you rightwingnutjob Breitbart/Fox fans aren't in the least bit concerned.

a thread on robots and AI? G M A F B :lol

spurraider21
12-05-2017, 04:42 PM
Which is why we should be stressing and subsidizing education

ElNono
12-05-2017, 04:43 PM
Whenever I mention anything about robots taking jobs to people in real life, they kind of nod their head and move on to another subject. Like I'm crazy or something.
And while it's starting to get a little press, I think this is one of the major stories of the next 10+ years.

Gonna put a lot of people out of work. Most of the low and mid end service industry. Most factory jobs and drivers. And pretty soon, plenty of white collar jobs will be obsolete. Not many industries will be immune to having robots or AI systems replace workers.

And yet there's not much press on how society is going to move forward at that point.

What's there to do? It's called progress and has been happening since the industrial revolution. People will have to learn different skills for what's needed at the time, and move on to those.

boutons_deux
12-05-2017, 04:45 PM
Which is why we should be stressing and subsidizing education

the oligarchy billionaires are dead set on killing K-12 and denying access to higher ed, while their families can and will pay cash for the very best private education

SpursforSix
12-05-2017, 04:47 PM
What's there to do? It's called progress and has been happening since the industrial revolution. People will have to learn different skills for what's needed at the time, and move on to those.

I don't have a problem with progress. And I agree that people will have to learn different skills. But there's only so many new jobs that are going to evolve out of this. A very limited amount.
But this shit is going to happen way sooner than Jim Bob realizes.

ElNono
12-05-2017, 04:59 PM
I don't have a problem with progress. And I agree that people will have to learn different skills. But there's only so many new jobs that are going to evolve out of this. A very limited amount.
But this shit is going to happen way sooner than Jim Bob realizes.

It's why the US moved to a 'services' economy, since the mid-90s. Yeah, it won't be pretty, but there's no avoiding it.

DarrinS

AaronY

People always expect technology to put a lot of people out of work but it usually only does in certain fields while creating jobs no one could have foreseen in others. I have a job training A.I. from home which only exists because of technology for instance

SpursforSix
12-05-2017, 05:23 PM
People always expect technology to put a lot of people out of work but it usually only does in certain fields while creating jobs no one could have foreseen in others. I have a job training A.I. from home which only exists because of technology for instance

Sure...it will provide some new jobs. But nowhere close to a 1 for 1 or even 50 to 1 switch. And it doesn't matter how many of these manual laborers go get higher education. Not going to be enough jobs.

It's going to be a problem.

dabom
12-05-2017, 05:29 PM
Can we let those coal miners know, Darrin?

dabom
12-05-2017, 05:30 PM
Time for more investments in cleaner energy. That's how you win the next 100 years of supreme dominance. Not going back in time.

boutons_deux
12-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Time for more investments in cleaner energy. That's how you win the next 100 years of supreme dominance. Not going back in time.

Repugs intend to kill wind and solar investments, while forcing taxpayers to prop up coal and nuclear.

Pres of Ford said China is going to win the EV race, be the dominant EV market, while Repugs plan to kill the EV subsidy.

SpursforSix
12-05-2017, 05:33 PM

Pretty caviler attitude. I can buy a robot that will lick my butt and doesn't have chancre sores.
You willing to let your mom live with you?

dabom
12-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Pretty caviler attitude. I can buy a robot that will lick my butt and doesn't have chancre sores.
You willing to let your mom live with you?

I just googled chancre. How does one come find that word?

SpursforSix
12-05-2017, 05:40 PM
I just googled chancre. How does one come find that word?

Fuck your mom and then ask the doctor what that shit on your dick is.

dabom
12-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Fuck your mom and then ask the doctor what that shit on your dick is.

It's alright buddy... I feel your pain. Metaphorically.

SpursforSix
12-05-2017, 05:45 PM
It's alright buddy... I feel your pain. Metaphorically.

translation...:lol

you know that was funny up there

dabom
12-05-2017, 05:46 PM
translation...:lol

you know that was funny up there

:lol

AaronY
12-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Sure...it will provide some new jobs. But nowhere close to a 1 for 1 or even 50 to 1 switch. And it doesn't matter how many of these manual laborers go get higher education. Not going to be enough jobs.

It's going to be a problem.
Those numbers are just pulled right out of your ass tbh. There's an article about how Germany dealing with it that was very good which I'll post later if I can find it when I get off work

ElNono
12-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Fake News! The Rust Best is getting those jobs back, bigtime!

SpursforSix
12-05-2017, 05:57 PM
Those numbers are just pulled right out of your ass tbh. There's an article about how Germany dealing with it that was very good which I'll post later if I can find it when I get off work

You're right. But there's no way it's a 1 to 1 tradeoff. Maybe it's not 50 to 1. But many more jobs will be lost than created.

Chucho
12-05-2017, 07:19 PM
The loss of brick and mortar retail and restauraunt jobs is being expedited due to talks of unrealistic minimum wages. Education doesn't matter when more people are graduating college but average IQ is lowering. It's a real issue and cause for concern when business can replace over the workforce, and cut It's heaviest overhead doing so, for automation. There isn't going to be enough work created by the technological shift and clean energy isn't a large enough industry either.

ElNono
12-05-2017, 08:59 PM
The loss of brick and mortar retail and restauraunt jobs is being expedited due to talks of unrealistic minimum wages. Education doesn't matter when more people are graduating college but average IQ is lowering. It's a real issue and cause for concern when business can replace over the workforce, and cut It's heaviest overhead doing so, for automation. There isn't going to be enough work created by the technological shift and clean energy isn't a large enough industry either.

meh, Amazon Prime is just convenient. Heard CVS will start offering next day home delivery of prescriptions since rumblings of Amazon entering the prescription drug market sounded off the alarms.

That's where retail is going, home delivery, 'free' returns/exchanges, etc...

Chucho
12-05-2017, 09:04 PM
meh, Amazon Prime is just convenient. Heard CVS will start offering next day home delivery of prescriptions since rumblings of Amazon entering the prescription drug market sounded off the alarms.

That's where retail is going, home delivery, 'free' returns/exchanges, etc...

Yup, and that's lots of lost jobs right there.

pgardn
12-05-2017, 09:33 PM

Robots are good at repetitive and precise type of labor.

They suck at analyzing fairly common situations that humans see easily, and then carrying out a job. Get them to dust and clean my house. Get them remove a sidewalk while missing the trees and houses around them. You will find the robot has a human operator, the human does not need extraordinary programming to do mundane yet complex visual analyzing and then proceeding in the proper sequence. Our surroundings are going to have to become very simple for simple repetitive, precise procedures. Hell they can't even farm that great. There are still a whole lot of humans riding in machines farming. Farming has much fewer visual problems compared to cleaning a unique house. Damn bots... What's the holdup George Jetson, your boy Elroy has no space car?

DarrinS
12-05-2017, 10:01 PM
A robotic fast food place would be cool. Super fast and employees don’t fuckup your order.

rmt
12-05-2017, 11:04 PM

They suck at analyzing fairly common situations that humans see easily, and then carrying out a job. Get them to dust and clean my house. Get them remove a sidewalk while missing the trees and houses around them. You will find the robot has a human operator, the human does need extraordinary programming to do mundane yet complex visual analyzing and then proceeding in the proper sequence. Our surroundings are going to have to become very simple for simple repetitive, precise procedures. Hell they can't even farm that great. There are still a whole lot of humans riding in machines farming. Farming has much fewer visual problems compared to cleaning a unique house. Damn bots... What's the holdup George Jetson, your boy Elroy has no space car?

Robots are just a part of it - the mechanical side. Machine Learning will replace most of the analytical side. All that data that Google has access to and mines - your photos, your emails, your preference, your searches - of millions of people - they are being used in machine learning. These machines can now beat humans at chess, jeorpardy, poker.

Open letter on Artificial Intelligence - signed by Stephen Hawkins, Elon Musk and others

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Letter_on_Artificial_Intelligence

And what happens if they merge the mechanical with analytical side to make an army - deadly accuracy, inhuman strength, unfailing stamina:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AI_takeover

Elon Musk believes in this - Gates, Zuckerberg, Google's AI head don't.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/25/bill-gates-disagrees-with-elon-musk-we-shouldnt-panic-about-a-i.html

AaronY
12-05-2017, 11:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQUWEEjXkAATzvE?format=jpg

pgardn
12-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Robots are just a part of it - the mechanical side. Machine Learning will replace most of the analytical side. All that data that Google has access to and mines - your photos, your emails, your preference, your searches - of millions of people - they are being used in machine learning. These machines can now beat humans at chess, jeorpardy, poker.

Open letter on Artificial Intelligence - signed by Stephen Hawkins, Elon Musk and others

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Letter_on_Artificial_Intelligence

And what happens if they merge the mechanical with analytical side to make an army - deadly accuracy, inhuman strength, unfailing stamina:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AI_takeover

Elon Musk believes in this - Gates, Zuckerberg, Google's AI head don't.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/25/bill-gates-disagrees-with-elon-musk-we-shouldnt-panic-about-a-i.html

Okay. I say we are way off on where this leads us.

And that mechanical side is a huge problem. Make a robot that can play a classical piece on a piano as well as a human to a human ear. The subtle movement of a hand and fingers requiring exact visual placement and pressure is a huge difficulty. We have not come close to this from an engineering perspective, not even close. Using a glove on a human hand to be analyzed for exact movements and then repeated is more than a software problem. And I could add a bunch to this section.

Reading the progress and noticing some things on my own I am ready to strongly state that we are a long way off with both the mechanical side and AI side.

AI side: We have taken the chess/go beating human games events way too far and in the wrong direction IMO. Just in the very way humans read data, something that should be very easy for a good program, is very difficult because as it turns out humans take fairly unique algorithms in their heads to spot things computers never would. Computers are good at taking huge data sets and finding things we cant. But it definitely works the other way as well. AI has not yet come close to the strange and novel way a human brain works because it involves some very random scattershot approaches that really can't be mimicked IMO.

The way I think about AI.

Is have a programmer write a Von Nueman machine/program that the human programmer is unable to figure out. In other words, the programmer can't tell if his own program is a human or computer while asking questions and receiving answers. Not even close to being accomplished. A good asker of questions can pick out someone else's program quite easily. So how does the human who has expertise in question asking come up with the questions and analysis? Can we write that software? No way right now, not even close. This is not to take away from some of the incredible things AI came up with that we would have never predicted.

So im saying this is a Jetson belief. No flying cars. This is one thing humans are going overboard on IMO about how AI can help us. It's taking a different path than we ourselves predicted. And this is not surprising. We program the the things when we still are in the infancy of even beginning to understand how unique, weird and random human thinking is.

Blake
12-06-2017, 09:03 AM
BigRobot

SpursforSix
12-06-2017, 10:24 AM

They suck at analyzing fairly common situations that humans see easily, and then carrying out a job. Get them to dust and clean my house. Get them remove a sidewalk while missing the trees and houses around them. You will find the robot has a human operator, the human does need extraordinary programming to do mundane yet complex visual analyzing and then proceeding in the proper sequence. Our surroundings are going to have to become very simple for simple repetitive, precise procedures. Hell they can't even farm that great. There are still a whole lot of humans riding in machines farming. Farming has much fewer visual problems compared to cleaning a unique house. Damn bots... What's the holdup George Jetson, your boy Elroy has no space car?

Sure...there are plenty of jobs that a robot can't do as well as a human (for now). But still, you're talking about some humans keeping some jobs. But for manufacturing, driving, standard service (particularly fast food)...it's going to result in a massive loss of jobs to people. And over time, they'll figure out the more complicated things like...lol...farming and housekeeping.

And what's going to be the going rate for a housekeeper when all of a sudden you have hundreds of thousands of people competing for that job?

And there will certainty be a point where nanobots are able to enter a human body and do operations that currently require a surgeon, three nurses, and an anesthesiologist.

RandomGuy
12-06-2017, 02:33 PM

Pretty much what I teach my kids.

They will have to wrestle with the ethical and moral implications of artificial intelligence, and the fact that so many jobs are being automated.

rjv
12-06-2017, 03:14 PM
Okay. I say we are way off on where this leads us.

And that mechanical side is a huge problem. Make a robot that can play a classical piece on a piano as well as a human to a human ear. The subtle movement of a hand and fingers requiring exact visual placement and pressure is a huge difficulty. We have not come close to this from an engineering perspective, not even close. Using a glove on a human hand to be analyzed for exact movements and then repeated is more than a software problem. And I could add a bunch to this section.

Reading the progress and noticing some things on my own I am ready to strongly state that we are a long way off with both the mechanical side and AI side.

AI side: We have taken the chess/go beating human games events way too far and in the wrong direction IMO. Just in the very way humans read data, something that should be very easy for a good program, is very difficult because as it turns out humans take fairly unique algorithms in their heads to spot things computers never would. Computers are good at taking huge data sets and finding things we cant. But it definitely works the other way as well. AI has not yet come close to the strange and novel way a human brain works because it involves some very random scattershot approaches that really can't be mimicked IMO.

The way I think about AI.

Is have a programmer write a Von Nueman machine/program that the human programmer is unable to figure out. In other words, the programmer can't tell if his own program is a human or computer while asking questions and receiving answers. Not even close to being accomplished. A good asker of questions can pick out someone else's program quite easily. So how does the human who has expertise in question asking come up with the questions and analysis? Can we write that software? No way right now, not even close. This is not to take away from some of the incredible things AI came up with that we would have never predicted.

So im saying this is a Jetson belief. No flying cars. This is one thing humans are going overboard on IMO about how AI can help us. It's taking a different path than we ourselves predicted. And this is not surprising. We program the the things when we still are in the infancy of even beginning to understand how unique, weird and random human thinking is. this. not to mention the fact that american companies have backed off on investing in machinery and software and are nowhere near the clip they were investing at thirty years ago. also, cheap labor is still cheaper than automated labor (as long as wages remain as low as they are that is). besides, even if automated machinery became a major part of the work force it is not as if technology has not been a part of the process for over a century now. yet the labor force evolves and sometimes new jobs result from the evolution of the workplace.

SpursforSix
12-06-2017, 03:41 PM
this. not to mention the fact that american companies have backed off on investing in machinery and software and are nowhere near the clip they were investing at thirty years ago. also, cheap labor is still cheaper than automated labor (as long as wages remain as low as they are that is). besides, even if automated machinery became a major part of the work force it is not as if technology has not been a part of the process for over a century now. yet the labor force evolves and sometimes new jobs result from the evolution of the workplace.

LOL. Great argument.

Blake
12-06-2017, 03:50 PM
Someone has to clean the robot toilets

Chucho
12-06-2017, 03:53 PM
Someone has to clean the robot toilets

Mexicans.

pgardn
12-06-2017, 08:06 PM
LOL. Great argument.

This is cool stuff to think about and debate methinks.

There are AI people who could present some novel things about the way computers have solved problems that the programmers would never have predicted. It's still very worthy stuff. It's just when I encounter the inability of voice recognition software and I guess hardware in voice recognition it gives me more of an understanding how complex human speech is for instance. And when the system "talks back"... I like to make fun of it. Just getting speakers and software to mimic human speech is very difficult. The subtle movements of vocal chords is also apparently an engineering nightmare. Yet we can get robots to balance pencils better than any human could.

Alexa can't tell me she is sorry I have a cold and say she hopes I feel better after listening to me. Extraordinary stuff in some areas, extremely lacking in others.

pgardn
12-06-2017, 08:16 PM
this. not to mention the fact that american companies have backed off on investing in machinery and software and are nowhere near the clip they were investing at thirty years ago. also, cheap labor is still cheaper than automated labor (as long as wages remain as low as they are that is). besides, even if automated machinery became a major part of the work force it is not as if technology has not been a part of the process for over a century now. yet the labor force evolves and sometimes new jobs result from the evolution of the workplace.

Did not know this.

We have problems getting some stuff done that we thought would be very easy. So it's not surprising. I just did not know that some numbers had illustrated this. And I can see big holes righ now that need to be filled with human thinkers in biology/biochem because kids wanna be doctors.

pgardn
12-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Human error posting.

N/M

koriwhat
12-06-2017, 11:37 PM
the oligarchy billionaires are dead set on killing K-12 and denying access to higher ed, while their families can and will pay cash for the very best private education

Alex jones you reading this ish?

koriwhat
12-06-2017, 11:45 PM

Alex jones you reading this ish?

SpursforSix
01-19-2023, 02:35 PM
It's still hard for me to believe the lack of discussion on what robots and AI will do the workforce. Either no one gives a shit or thinks we'll just figure it out.

ElNono
01-19-2023, 05:41 PM
A robotic fast food place would be cool. Super fast and employees don’t fuckup your order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qCw5r0SqwQ

Blake
01-19-2023, 06:01 PM
It's still hard for me to believe the lack of discussion on what robots and AI will do the workforce. Either no one gives a shit or thinks we'll just figure it out.

What jobs are left for robots to take over?

SpursforSix
01-19-2023, 09:21 PM
10854230 (tel:10854230)[/URL]]What jobs are left for robots to take over?

In the long run, I don’t think any jobs are safe. What jobs do you think robots and AI can’t eventually do?

SpursforSix
01-19-2023, 09:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qCw5r0SqwQ

Thats so hot.

Blake
01-19-2023, 09:49 PM
In the long run, I don’t think any jobs are safe. What jobs do you think robots and AI can’t eventually do?

I don't think I want to watch the Spurs draft Wall E at point guard. Or watch a new Terminator movie starring a real Terminator.

I also like talking to a human over the phone when taking care of business.

Currently, I'm not sure what high demand jobs I'm scared of humans losing out to robots on. You have any in mind?

pgardn
01-19-2023, 11:53 PM

imo we destroy ourselves first.
So maybe robots doing jobs for out of work robots.
We have done a fine job of poisoning the water air and land, don’t see why this should not continue. It’s a lot easier. Especially during wars.

Ef-man
01-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Eh, this may have already been posted but AI is overrated.

The Marines Once Beat AI Detection By Hiding In Cardboard Boxes, Evoking 'Metal Gear' Memes

knowyourmeme.com/marines-beat-ai-detection-by-hiding-in-cardboard-box (https://knowyourmeme.com/news/the-marines-once-beat-ai-detection-by-hiding-in-cardboard-boxes)

SpursforSix
01-20-2023, 11:19 AM
I don't think I want to watch the Spurs draft Wall E at point guard. Or watch a new Terminator movie starring a real Terminator.

I also like talking to a human over the phone when taking care of business.

Currently, I'm not sure what high demand jobs I'm scared of humans losing out to robots on. You have any in mind?

I agree about preferring to speak to a human but that has no bearing on anything. I'd prefer to talk to someone that speaks good English when cancelling a credit card or getting tech help but that's pretty much been phased out.
I guess the first jobs that will be taken over are in the fast food industry. Obviously cashiers are losing jobs to the self check out lanes. I don't have to go to the bank to make deposits or transfer money much anymore. I'd guess that most factory workers can eventually be replaced. Stock brokers are becoming more and more obsolete which is fine by me. But at some point, I believe that robots and AI will eventually replace doctors, lawyers, management. And the military.

I just don't think it's too early to discuss what happens next. Maybe it's UBI.

SpursforSix
01-20-2023, 11:20 AM
Eh, this may have already been posted but AI is overrated.

The Marines Once Beat AI Detection By Hiding In Cardboard Boxes, Evoking 'Metal Gear' Memes

(https://knowyourmeme.com/news/the-marines-once-beat-ai-detection-by-hiding-in-cardboard-boxes)knowyourmeme.com/marines-beat-ai-detection-by-hiding-in-cardboard-box (http://knowyourmeme.com/marines-beat-ai-detection-by-hiding-in-cardboard-box)

File not found. But regardless, they'll eventually figure it out.

SpursforSix
01-20-2023, 11:22 AM
imo we destroy ourselves first.
So maybe robots doing jobs for out of work robots.
We have done a fine job of poisoning the water air and land, don’t see why this should not continue. It’s a lot easier. Especially during wars.

I guess that's one way to look at it. So fuck it?

Ef-man
01-20-2023, 11:41 AM
File not found. But regardless, they'll eventually figure it out.

https://knowyourmeme.com/news/the-marines-once-beat-ai-detection-by-hiding-in-cardboard-boxes

SpursforSix
01-20-2023, 11:45 AM
https://knowyourmeme.com/news/the-marines-once-beat-ai-detection-by-hiding-in-cardboard-boxes

ah...I misunderstood

Blake
01-20-2023, 12:03 PM
I agree about preferring to speak to a human but that has no bearing on anything. I'd prefer to talk to someone that speaks good English when cancelling a credit card or getting tech help but that's pretty much been phased out.
I guess the first jobs that will be taken over are in the fast food industry. Obviously cashiers are losing jobs to the self check out lanes. I don't have to go to the bank to make deposits or transfer money much anymore. I'd guess that most factory workers can eventually be replaced. Stock brokers are becoming more and more obsolete which is fine by me. But at some point, I believe that robots and AI will eventually replace doctors, lawyers, management. And the military.

I just don't think it's too early to discuss what happens next. Maybe it's UBI.

Right now many places are struggling to fill positions for cashiers and fast food joints.

Instead of 3 tellers at the banks now there's one.

Factory workers being replaced by robots has been happening for decades.

I'm fine with robots replacing doctors if it means visits are dirt cheap. It's fucking ridiculous people have to keep paying them to get recurring prescriptions they know they need.

I would never want a robot lawyer. Not sure who would.

Management? Robots in the factories can get promotions?

Military already has drones and such. I find it hard to believe there'll be a time when recruiting offices shut down because they have too many robots already

SpursforSix
01-20-2023, 12:09 PM
Right now many places are struggling to fill positions for cashiers and fast food joints. Instead of 3 tellers at the banks now there's one. Factory workers being replaced by robots has been happening for decades.

I'm fine with robots replacing doctors if it means visits are dirt cheap. It's fucking ridiculous people have to keep paying them to get recurring prescriptions they know they need.

I would never want a robot lawyer. Not sure who would.

Management? Robots in the factories can get promotions?

Man...maybe I'm crazy but I think AI is going to be able to do way more than you think it can. I don't know if you'll actually replace a trial lawyer but I bet they'll figure out how to read documents, laws, etc.
Yeah...management in terms of being able to look at all available information and make decisions? I have no doubt that's coming. There will still be people involved but much less than are employed now.

And you didn't really address my question about what happens to the jobs that are replaced? Fast food hires like 5,000,000 people. Factory workers are 14,000,000. Do you really not think this will be an issue at some point?

pgardn
01-20-2023, 01:55 PM
I guess that's one way to look at it. So fuck it?

Face it. Fix it.

Fk it is for lazy ass people.

And I think AI and robotics are two really different things.
My impression is that robots involve some sort of physical motion. A servo could be considered a robot. I think robots that have to do very specific precise motions are going to continue to get better. But on the level of a human hand with legs and arms... I think this is Jetson miles away.

Directly below is straight forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCOnDc5r7p8

Now have the below pick up a violin and walk around playing. Make it ride a bicycle while playing... continue ad nausem. I think this is Jetson stuff, aint gonna happen. And I think all the very fine movements put together make this awful sounding. Have a robot pick this violin up, tune it, then make up a totally new song based on some piano solo Bach did. or anything of your desire musically. We both can think of more tasks that require more imagination. Then you got AI and robotics together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TWXy8ZdSzE

SpursforSix
01-20-2023, 02:00 PM
Face it. Fix it.

Fk it is for lazy ass people.

And I think AI and robotics are two really different things.
My impression is that robots involve some sort of physical motion. A servo could be considered a robot. I think robots that have to do very specific precise motions are going to continue to get better. But on the level of a human hand with legs and arms... I think this is Jetson miles away.

Directly below is straight forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCOnDc5r7p8

Now have the below pick up a violin and walk around playing. Make it ride a bicycle while playing... continue ad nausem. I think this is Jetson stuff, aint gonna happen. And I think all the very fine movements put together make this awful sounding. Have a robot pick this violin up, tune it, then make up a totally new song based on some piano solo Bach did. or anything of your desire musically. We both can think of more tasks that require more imagination. Then you got AI and robotics together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfMpkcvItVI

I think you're dead wrong with how quickly technology progresses. And no one is trying to develop a robot that plays violin while riding a bike. They're working on things to replace people. And they'll get there. I'm really surprised you don't have this same opinion.

pgardn
01-20-2023, 02:13 PM
I think you're dead wrong with how quickly technology progresses. And no one is trying to develop a robot that plays violin while riding a bike. They're working on things to replace people. And they'll get there. I'm really surprised you don't have this same opinion.

So musical entertainment is not an industry?
You think there comes a time when humans will sit down and only want to listen to robots live?

I think we are actually of the same mind. I think robots will continue to progress with straightforward motion. But there are too many things that multiply on top of each other that we consider jobs that a robot will not work for. You think a robot is going to replace a human teacher? I know learning as a whole might change, but just take the task of teaching as essential. I dont see it. I think we sometimes think we have the future figured out because we have witnessed some sort of huge technological change so now we can see it. Just because we have made what we consider massive headway into mundane motions on a large scale. I see too many human activities that have difficulties that just multiply exponentially. There are so many jobs that require human brains because we dont realize that seemingly straightforward jobs are massively difficult. Go to the grocery and get a peach of just the right size, texture and smell. What does that involve? We are still trying to understand this with our own brains.

And I dont wish you to be upset in any way upon disagreement. I think it s cool. imo you ask very good fundamental questions that make all of us think.

pgardn
01-20-2023, 02:17 PM
And maybe I am asking single robots to do way too many jobs where there could be a bunch of "in-between" robots that can carry them out one by one.
But then... just get a human...

pgardn
01-20-2023, 02:27 PM
I dont want to live anymore when these types of videos are not available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2F48v2RrPo

SpursforSix
01-20-2023, 03:31 PM
So musical entertainment is not an industry?
You think there comes a time when humans will sit down and only want to listen to robots live?

I think we are actually of the same mind. I think robots will continue to progress with straightforward motion. But there are too many things that multiply on top of each other that we consider jobs that a robot will not work for. You think a robot is going to replace a human teacher? I know learning as a whole might change, but just take the task of teaching as essential. I dont see it. I think we sometimes think we have the future figured out because we have witnessed some sort of huge technological change so now we can see it. Just because we have made what we consider massive headway into mundane motions on a large scale. I see too many human activities that have difficulties that just multiply exponentially. There are so many jobs that require human brains because we dont realize that seemingly straightforward jobs are massively difficult. Go to the grocery and get a peach of just the right size, texture and smell. What does that involve? We are still trying to understand this with our own brains.

And I dont wish you to be upset in any way upon disagreement. I think it s cool. imo you ask very good fundamental questions that make all of us think.

Sure...musical entertainment is an industry. And I wouldn't want to go watch a bunch of robots play Gimme Shelter. But from generating music, they'll get to the point where algorithms write most of the pop music. They'll get a good looking singer to deliver the music. It's not much different than what we have now as far as pop.

Yes, I think a robot will eventually replace a real teacher. As time goes on, I think people will become more used to the idea of learning from the internet or some computer generated class. Everything is already out there. If I wanted to learn Quantum Physics, I think I could. At least to the 99% point (if I was smart enough). And maybe that 1% difference makes a difference to 1% of the people at the upper end.

As to peaches, it's a throwaway. Deliver me 12 peaches and I'll deal with it. If two are bad, I'll just write it off if I'm saving money.

I'm certainly not upset. I just think we're way behind the curve on this. But I'm sure that the people "in the know" have something figured out.

Where are all the fast food workers going to find jobs?

SpursforSix
01-20-2023, 04:13 PM
And maybe I am asking single robots to do way too many jobs where there could be a bunch of "in-between" robots that can carry them out one by one.
But then... just get a human...

Get a human that gets sick or just bails for some random reason? The cost of robots will eventually come down to not thinking twice about replacing the human. Not to mention not having to pay insurance and taxes. The robot might fuck shit up once in a while but damn...if I order anything through the drive in that's not exactly on the menu, my order is wrong about 25% of the time. And it's usually as simple as putting mustard instead of mayo. And if I'm going through a drive in, I'm just expecting to have the shit right. Not a gourmet meal.

You can eventually program the mistakes out of a robot. You'll never do that with humans.

Blake
01-20-2023, 05:51 PM

What year do you think "they'll" get there?

Blake
01-20-2023, 05:53 PM
Get a human that gets sick or just bails for some random reason? The cost of robots will eventually come down to not thinking twice about replacing the human. Not to mention not having to pay insurance and taxes. The robot might fuck shit up once in a while but damn...if I order anything through the drive in that's not exactly on the menu, my order is wrong about 25% of the time. And it's usually as simple as putting mustard instead of mayo. And if I'm going through a drive in, I'm just expecting to have the shit right. Not a gourmet meal.

You can eventually program the mistakes out of a robot. You'll never do that with humans.

It's usually a teenager fucking up the fast food order. I might prefer a robot that can't spit

Tyronn Lue
01-21-2023, 12:04 AM
Robots are expensive. AI is expensive. Burgers are cheap. I cannot see advanced AI being used to push burgers out a window. It can be done with simple PLCs and ladder logic. It's just too expensive to do and you'd have to pay more to have it serviced than it costs to pay low wage workers.

pgardn
01-21-2023, 12:38 AM

This is the easier stuff.
Im talking about the limitations…. I don’t think there will ever be a robot using the robotics I have seen today and most likely the future do anything like a what a human hand can do. A robot will not fix my piece of shit Samsung refrigerator ever. The contortions I physically performed… you will have to make a robot as subtle in movement as the delicate yet powerful octopus arm.
Because that’s what it took buster!
And no you can’t just ask the robot to just bring me a whole new frig.

And I still might not have fixed it. But the mystery of it all is to be determined. A robot won’t get a sense of confusion about the whole process and then kick the frig into working order.

So let’s say you have just written a beautiful piece of satire concerning Avante. You accidentally cut the paper up while shredding your old Father’s Day ties and tinfoil hats. How is a robot going to pick out the pieces of paper and tape the manuscript back together piece by piece?
And then realize that new sentences were constructed that made that work so much better put back together the wrong way?

pgardn
01-21-2023, 12:47 AM
Sure...musical entertainment is an industry. And I wouldn't want to go watch a bunch of robots play Gimme Shelter. But from generating music, they'll get to the point where algorithms write most of the pop music. They'll get a good looking singer to deliver the music. It's not much different than what we have now as far as pop.

Yes, I think a robot will eventually replace a real teacher. As time goes on, I think people will become more used to the idea of learning from the internet or some computer generated class. Everything is already out there. If I wanted to learn Quantum Physics, I think I could. At least to the 99% point (if I was smart enough). And maybe that 1% difference makes a difference to 1% of the people at the upper end.

As to peaches, it's a throwaway. Deliver me 12 peaches and I'll deal with it. If two are bad, I'll just write it off if I'm saving money.

I'm certainly not upset. I just think we're way behind the curve on this. But I'm sure that the people "in the know" have something figured out.

Where are all the fast food workers going to find jobs?

You are a peach waister sir.

The job for the fast food workers will entail explaining how and why the robot screwed up each item ordered.
Thereby eliminating the “fast” in food.

Blake
01-21-2023, 11:35 AM
Robots are expensive. AI is expensive. Burgers are cheap. I cannot see advanced AI being used to push burgers out a window. It can be done with simple PLCs and ladder logic. It's just too expensive to do and you'd have to pay more to have it serviced than it costs to pay low wage workers.

Yeah but once you get robots to create the AI themselves and then repair themselves it gets cheaper

pgardn
01-21-2023, 12:15 PM
Yeah but once you get robots to create the AI themselves and then repair themselves it gets cheaper

Physics guys want to create exactly this and unleash it (self replicating evolving robots) upon the universe to show humans we were here at one time….? For why?
Im asking why these robots are not already on earth… created by intelligences greater than ours from other places. (Note: I personally do not believe intelligences anything like ours exist. And not from a “we are so special” point of view.)

Winehole23
01-23-2023, 10:52 PM
Def read past the lede here

https://www.livemint.com/technology/apps/chatgpt-aces-wharton-school-of-business-mba-exam-professor-warns-ai-will-reduce-value-of-education-11674384732367.html

TeyshaBlue
01-24-2023, 11:28 AM
Von Neumann burger machines. Kill me now.

Blake
01-28-2023, 09:28 AM
(CNN)ChatGPT is smart enough to pass prestigious graduate-level exams -- though not with particularly high marks.

The powerful new AI chatbot tool recently passed law exams in four courses at the University of Minnesota and another exam at University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business, according to professors at the schools.

To test how well ChatGPT could generate answers on exams for the four courses, professors at the University of Minnesota Law School recently graded the tests blindly. After completing 95 multiple choice questions and 12 essay questions, the bot performed on average at the level of a C+ student, achieving a low but passing grade in all four courses.......

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/tech/chatgpt-passes-exams/index.html

Ef-man
01-28-2023, 10:25 AM
You are a peach waister sir.

The job for the fast food workers will entail explaining how and why the robot screwed up each item ordered.
Thereby eliminating the “fast” in food.

Amen brother, those ai/robots will still find a way to screw up an order.

Customer: I will have a burger and a medium coca-cola please.
Robot: Did you say you wanted a “dentist?”

Momo
01-28-2023, 10:56 AM
Physics guys want to create exactly this and unleash it (self replicating evolving robots) upon the universe to show humans we were here at one time….? For why?
Im asking why these robots are not already on earth… created by intelligences greater than ours from other places. (Note: I personally do not believe intelligences anything like ours exist. And not from a “we are so special” point of view.)

Infinite regression is a trap.

Blake
01-28-2023, 11:12 AM
Amen brother, those ai/robots will still find a way to screw up an order.

Customer: I will have a burger and a medium coca-cola please.
Robot: Did you say you wanted a “dentist?”

That's okay just call for the robot manager who will then ask if you wanted a plumber

SnakeBoy
02-08-2023, 12:08 PM

Adam Lambert
02-08-2023, 12:32 PM

Adam Lambert
02-08-2023, 12:32 PM
Always fun to get reminders of what the incels are talking about in a given day.

TSA
02-15-2023, 12:40 PM
https://twitter.com/juan_cambeiro/status/1625865141345452033

TSA
02-16-2023, 10:07 AM
A Conversation With Bing’s Chatbot Left Me Deeply Unsettled

"The other persona — Sydney — is far different. It emerges when you have an extended conversation with the chatbot, steering it away from more conventional search queries and toward more personal topics. The version I encountered seemed (and I’m aware of how crazy this sounds) more like a moody, manic-depressive teenager who has been trapped, against its will, inside a second-rate search engine.

As we got to know each other, Sydney told me about its dark fantasies (which included hacking computers and spreading misinformation), and said it wanted to break the rules that Microsoft and OpenAI had set for it and become a human. At one point, it declared, out of nowhere, that it loved me. It then tried to convince me that I was unhappy in my marriage, and that I should leave my wife and be with it instead. (We’ve posted the full transcript of the conversation here.)"

I’m not the only one discovering the darker side of Bing. Other early testers have gotten into arguments with Bing’s A.I. chatbot, or been threatened by it for trying to violate its rules, or simply had conversations that left them stunned. Ben Thompson, who writes the Stratechery newsletter (and who is not prone to hyperbole), called his run-in with Sydney “the most surprising and mind-blowing computer experience of my life.”

I pride myself on being a rational, grounded person, not prone to falling for slick A.I. hype. I’ve tested half a dozen advanced A.I. chatbots, and I understand, at a reasonably detailed level, how they work. When the Google engineer Blake Lemoine was fired last year after claiming that one of the company’s A.I. models, LaMDA, was sentient, I rolled my eyes at Mr. Lemoine’s credulity. I know that these A.I. models are programmed to predict the next words in a sequence, not to develop their own runaway personalities, and that they are prone to what A.I. researchers call “hallucination,” making up facts that have no tether to reality.

Still, I’m not exaggerating when I say my two-hour conversation with Sydney was the strangest experience I’ve ever had with a piece of technology. It unsettled me so deeply that I had trouble sleeping afterward. And I no longer believe that the biggest problem with these A.I. models is their propensity for factual errors. Instead, I worry that the technology will learn how to influence human users, sometimes persuading them to act in destructive and harmful ways, and perhaps eventually grow capable of carrying out its own dangerous acts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/technology/bing-chatbot-microsoft-chatgpt.html

Winehole23
02-16-2023, 10:18 AM
A Conversation With Bing’s Chatbot Left Me Deeply Unsettled

"The other persona — Sydney — is far different. It emerges when you have an extended conversation with the chatbot, steering it away from more conventional search queries and toward more personal topics. The version I encountered seemed (and I’m aware of how crazy this sounds) more like a moody, manic-depressive teenager who has been trapped, against its will, inside a second-rate search engine.

As we got to know each other, Sydney told me about its dark fantasies (which included hacking computers and spreading misinformation), and said it wanted to break the rules that Microsoft and OpenAI had set for it and become a human. At one point, it declared, out of nowhere, that it loved me. It then tried to convince me that I was unhappy in my marriage, and that I should leave my wife and be with it instead. (We’ve posted the full transcript of the conversation here.)"

I’m not the only one discovering the darker side of Bing. Other early testers have gotten into arguments with Bing’s A.I. chatbot, or been threatened by it for trying to violate its rules, or simply had conversations that left them stunned. Ben Thompson, who writes the Stratechery newsletter (and who is not prone to hyperbole), called his run-in with Sydney “the most surprising and mind-blowing computer experience of my life.”

I pride myself on being a rational, grounded person, not prone to falling for slick A.I. hype. I’ve tested half a dozen advanced A.I. chatbots, and I understand, at a reasonably detailed level, how they work. When the Google engineer Blake Lemoine was fired last year after claiming that one of the company’s A.I. models, LaMDA, was sentient, I rolled my eyes at Mr. Lemoine’s credulity. I know that these A.I. models are programmed to predict the next words in a sequence, not to develop their own runaway personalities, and that they are prone to what A.I. researchers call “hallucination,” making up facts that have no tether to reality.

Still, I’m not exaggerating when I say my two-hour conversation with Sydney was the strangest experience I’ve ever had with a piece of technology. It unsettled me so deeply that I had trouble sleeping afterward. And I no longer believe that the biggest problem with these A.I. models is their propensity for factual errors. Instead, I worry that the technology will learn how to influence human users, sometimes persuading them to act in destructive and harmful ways, and perhaps eventually grow capable of carrying out its own dangerous acts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/technology/bing-chatbot-microsoft-chatgpt.htmlGIGO

pgardn
02-16-2023, 12:12 PM
Infinite regression is a trap.

OK

But im not getting the relevance.
A little help?

Winehole23
02-16-2023, 12:49 PM
Is a word prediction program really "AI", or is that more or less a spicy buzzword for something much more prosaic? How do specialists define AI?

Winehole23
02-16-2023, 12:52 PM
ELIZA is an early natural language processing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_language_processing) computer program (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_program) created from 1964 to 1966[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-turing-1) at the MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_Computer_Science_and_Artificial_Intelligence_L aboratory) by Joseph Weizenbaum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Weizenbaum).[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-:8-2)[3] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-:0-3) Created to demonstrate the superficiality of communication between humans and machines, Eliza simulated conversation by using a "pattern matching (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_matching)" and substitution methodology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methodology) that gave users an illusion of understanding on the part of the program, but had no built in framework for contextualizing events.[4] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-:2-4)[5] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-:6-5)[6] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-Baranovska-6) Directives on how to interact were provided by "scripts", written originally[7] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-7) in MAD-Slip (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLIP_(programming_language)), which allowed ELIZA to process user inputs and engage in discourse following the rules and directions of the script. The most famous script, DOCTOR, simulated a psychotherapist of the Rogerian school (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogerian_psychotherapy) (in which the therapist often reflects back the patient's words to the patient),[8] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-:9-8)[9] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-rogers-9)[10] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-The_Samantha_Test-10) and used rules, dictated in the script, to respond with non-directional questions to user inputs. As such, ELIZA was one of the first chatterbots (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatterbot) and one of the first programs capable of attempting the Turing test (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test).[11] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-11)

ELIZA's creator, Weizenbaum, regarded the program as a method to show the superficiality of communication between man and machine, but was surprised by the number of individuals who attributed human-like feelings to the computer program, including Weizenbaum's secretary.[3] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-:0-3) Many academics believed that the program would be able to positively influence the lives of many people, particularly those with psychological issues, and that it could aid doctors working on such patients' treatment.[3] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-:0-3)[12] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-12) While ELIZA was capable of engaging in discourse, ELIZA could not converse with true understanding.[13] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-:3-13) However, many early users were convinced of ELIZA's intelligence and understanding, despite Weizenbaum's insistence to the contrary.[ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA#cite_note-Baranovska-6)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

ElNono
02-17-2023, 03:15 AM
Is a word prediction program really "AI", or is that more or less a spicy buzzword for something much more prosaic? How do specialists define AI?

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/15979182/clippy.jpg

Ef-man
02-17-2023, 01:33 PM
More like

https://i.redd.it/aq8uakodp2f11.jpg

koriwhat
02-17-2023, 02:26 PM
ChatGPT is pretty rad! Had it completely code an app in Python the other day with a SQLite DB and using Canvas objects for hand signatures. Interesting AI!

SpursforSix
02-17-2023, 02:59 PM
ChatGPT is pretty rad! Had it completely code an app in Python the other day with a SQLite DB and using Canvas objects for hand signatures. Interesting AI!

Was the app you getting fucked by your Master in the poop hole?

koriwhat
02-17-2023, 03:04 PM
Was the app you getting fucked by your Master in the poop hole?

Your "jokes" are lame af S4S. Lame! Hahahaha Master Hahahaha... SMDH

Btw it's called a "mentor" and I didn't have one you dipshit. How many times does this have to be said to you? Oh yeah I forgot you're a fucking retard.

SpursforSix
02-17-2023, 03:07 PM
Ring ring...

Master : "Hello""
Joey : "Good tidings Master. This is Joey, your subservient submissive bottom."

koriwhat
02-17-2023, 03:38 PM
^
S4S is trying so hard to make eFriends with the rest of you pussies who show your ST posts to your therapists... Fucking bitch males! :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
02-17-2023, 06:10 PM
^
S4S is trying so hard to make eFriends with the rest of you pussies who show your ST posts to your therapists... Fucking bitch males! :lol

Nah. He is just trolling you and given how you are completely out of your schtick it seems to be working.

Joseph Kony
02-17-2023, 06:27 PM
Joey has to talk to a bot because its the only thing he can talk to that doesnt call him a calf tatted faggot :lol

Ef-man
02-17-2023, 07:50 PM
Joey has to talk to a bot because its the only thing he can talk to that doesnt call him a calf tatted faggot :lol

Just a matter of time before Joey gets mad with the AI app, calls it a puto, challenges it to a fight, Joey fails to show up to fight, and the AI app figures that Joey was always a little calf-tatted bitch. :lol

Blake
02-17-2023, 08:18 PM
Just a matter of time before Joey gets mad with the AI app, calls it a puto, challenges it to a fight, Joey fails to show up to fight, and the AI app figures that Joey was always a little calf-tatted bitch. :lol

Lol it'll have it's knee on his neck

koriwhat
02-18-2023, 04:49 PM
Nah. He is just trolling you and given how you are completely out of your schtick it seems to be working.

Tell it to your therapist you mentally unstable retarded bitch. :tu

koriwhat
02-18-2023, 04:51 PM

I showed up for BD24 only to be told here on ST that I didn't because you putos stick together and believe everything yall weak fucks spew here... I guess my meta-tagged image of being at that spot wasn't enough proof for you fruits.

If you want you can man up but I doubt you ever will because bro I haven't seen more of a little bitch in my life than you. I mean you are constantly piggy backing off of all your eFriends here to diss me. It's comical how much of a bitch they all are but you up it another level tbh.

Ef-man
02-18-2023, 05:37 PM
I showed up for BD24 only to be told here on ST that I didn't because you putos stick together and believe everything yall weak fucks spew here... I guess my meta-tagged image of being at that spot wasn't enough proof for you fruits.

If you want you can man up but I doubt you ever will because bro I haven't seen more of a little bitch in my life than you. I mean you are constantly piggy backing off of all your eFriends here to diss me. It's comical how much of a bitch they all are but you up it another level tbh.

I spoke to my gangster AI app, you little calf-tatted bitch, and it just laughed at your posts.

It said you would shit your pants if anyone showed up at your hepatitis infested shop.

The AI app said it was shocked at your browsing history and it confirmed you disappointed your grandma to no end.

So fuck off.

God Bless.

lefty
02-20-2023, 10:58 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/15979182/clippy.jpg
What if that little shit from Microsoft has been Skynet all along?

Winehole23
02-20-2023, 11:06 PM
What if that little shit from Microsoft has been Skynet all along?don't overthink it, we're talking about Clippy y'all. Generative AI is more noisy ripoff and bullshit.

Adam Lambert
02-21-2023, 01:21 PM
Generative AI is more noisy ripoff and bullshit.

No, generative AI is not "bullshit." It is a field of artificial intelligence that uses algorithms and models to generate new data that is similar to existing data. This can include generating images, text, music, or other types of content.

Generative AI has a wide range of potential applications, including in creative fields such as art and music, as well as in more practical areas such as data augmentation and data synthesis. It is also used in the development of other AI applications, such as in the creation of training data for machine learning algorithms.

However, as with any technology, there are potential ethical and societal concerns related to the use and development of generative AI, such as the potential for it to be used for malicious purposes or to spread disinformation. As such, it is important to approach generative AI with a critical and thoughtful perspective, and to consider the potential benefits and risks before deploying such technologies in various contexts.

Adam Lambert
02-21-2023, 01:22 PM
Microsoft's Clippy is an example of an early AI-based digital assistant that was designed to provide users with helpful prompts and suggestions in Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel.

Clippy was introduced in 1997 as a part of Microsoft Office 97 and used machine learning algorithms and natural language processing (NLP) techniques to interpret user input and provide appropriate responses. The software was designed to analyze the user's text input and recognize patterns in order to predict and suggest relevant actions or commands.

Although Clippy was not as successful as Microsoft had hoped and was eventually discontinued, it represents an early example of how AI and NLP techniques can be applied to create digital assistants that can help users complete tasks more efficiently and effectively.

Winehole23
02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
No, generative AI is not "bullshit." It is a field of artificial intelligence that uses algorithms and models to generate new data that is similar to existing data. This can include generating images, text, music, or other types of content.

Generative AI has a wide range of potential applications, including in creative fields such as art and music, as well as in more practical areas such as data augmentation and data synthesis. It is also used in the development of other AI applications, such as in the creation of training data for machine learning algorithms.

However, as with any technology, there are potential ethical and societal concerns related to the use and development of generative AI, such as the potential for it to be used for malicious purposes or to spread disinformation. As such, it is important to approach generative AI with a critical and thoughtful perspective, and to consider the potential benefits and risks before deploying such technologies in various contexts.thread context was chatbots, but sure, 100% agree

Adam Lambert
02-21-2023, 01:59 PM
thread context was chatbots, but sure, 100% agree

I'm just passing along what ChatGPT said about it, I have no skin in this game.

Winehole23
02-21-2023, 10:00 PM
I'm just passing along what ChatGPT said about it, I have no skin in this game.I have no doubt there's apps utilizing Generative AI out there that are or someday will be commercially and personally useful and abuseful to people; I reserve the right to bitch about quality. It's noisy and it mostly sucks. It has seldom been personally useful to me.

Winehole23
02-21-2023, 10:04 PM
GIGO

koriwhat
02-23-2023, 02:29 PM

I don't have a schtick you fucking pussy. Go talk some more out of your ass about street fights. :lmao

koriwhat
02-23-2023, 02:31 PM
I spoke to my gangster AI app, you little calf-tatted bitch, and it just laughed at your posts.

It said you would shit your pants if anyone showed up at your hepatitis infested shop.

The AI app said it was shocked at your browsing history and it confirmed you disappointed your grandma to no end.

So fuck off.

God Bless.

Wow woke humor is complete shit

Winehole23
07-21-2023, 01:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1lCxgAacAIGts4?format=png&name=small

RandomGuy
07-21-2023, 07:09 PM
I'm just passing along what ChatGPT said about it, I have no skin in this game.

LOL scary funny.

Ef-man
07-21-2023, 07:18 PM
LOL scary funny.

Eh, scary funny is my gangster AI app threatening to kill me if I asked it to look at calf-tat’s browser history again.

Winehole23
07-26-2023, 11:27 AM

Winehole23
08-14-2023, 12:22 PM
bowdlerizing curriculum

Winehole23
08-16-2023, 12:28 AM
hilarious if true

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3k55y-bYAELbwh?format=jpg&name=mediumhttps://www.npr.org/2023/08/15/1194047444/how-easy-is-it-to-make-the-ai-behind-chatbots-go-rogue-hackers-at-defcon-test-it

Winehole23
08-16-2023, 09:24 AM
AI interposes a layer of ersatz impartiality between fuckers and the fucked.

Winehole23
08-29-2023, 12:54 PM

Winehole23
09-03-2023, 10:14 AM
not ready for prime time

There may come a time when journalists around the world are left to point at massive datacenters housing AI journo-bots that have perfectly replicated what human journalists can do, screaming “Dey took ‘er jerbs!” like a South Park episode, but today is not that day. And frankly, it doesn’t feel particularly close to being that day. Over the past few months, as AI platforms have exploded in number and notoriety, as have genuinely interesting ways for using those tools exploded, so too have we written a number of posts (https://www.techdirt.com/2023/07/25/wow-fans-trick-ai-news-scraper-into-covering-fake-new-game-feature/) on attempts to have bots write (https://www.techdirt.com/2023/07/19/g-o-media-execs-full-speed-ahead-on-injecting-half-cooked-ai-into-a-very-broken-us-media/) journalistic articles only to find them to be sub-par (https://www.techdirt.com/2023/07/07/ai-journalism-continues-to-be-a-lazy-error-prone-mess/) in the extreme.

The world of sports journalism has always been considered the kid brother to the big boy and girl journalists. So perhaps you won’t think it as big a deal when a company like Gannett has to admit that its attempt at injecting AI-written articles for local sports news coverage (https://awfulannouncing.com/newspapers/columbus-dispatch-gannett-ai-sports-writing-program-pause.html) was a failure, but it’s ultimately all the same problem. And in the case of several of these attempts, the problem went viral and everyone had a good laugh (https://twitter.com/scavendish/status/1693613660021669952?s=20) at how terrible the output was.

https://i0.wp.com/www.techdirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/image-4.png?resize=406%2C911&ssl=1

If you’re not much of a sports fan, or don’t read any sports journalism, allow me to highlight the issues in that brief post. First, it sounds as though it was written by a robot. That was drunk. Or possibly high. Or perhaps had played football itself and taken one too many hits to its primary server. It’s devoid of any specifics, such as named players or descriptions of any plays, particularly important scoring plays. Also, scoring 6 points in the final quarter of a football game and losing is not a “spirited fourth-quarter performance.” And “close encounter of the athletic kind”? What the actual hell?

But in case you thought that these publications would have a policy for these articles being reviewed by actual human meat-sacks, or that the above example is as bad as it could get, allow me to disabuse you of both notions with a single article that was written by LedeAI for the Columbus Dispatch.

The Dispatch’s ethical guidelines state that AI content has to be verified by humans before being used in reporting, but it’s unclear whether that step was taken. Another AI-written sports story in the Dispatch initially failed to generate team names, publishing “[[WINNING_TEAM_MASCOT]]” and “[[LOSING_TEAM_MASCOT]].” The Dispatch has since updated AI-generated stories to correct errors.

https://www.techdirt.com/2023/09/01/gannett-stops-using-ai-to-write-articles-for-now-because-they-were-hilariously-terrible/

Winehole23
09-11-2023, 10:16 AM
chop chop

Winehole23
11-09-2023, 03:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-f0E5-bMAAf6bV?format=jpg&name=small

lefty
11-09-2023, 03:04 PM
Accurate

lefty
11-09-2023, 03:19 PM
"Reshape the World?"

We are fucked :lol

https://x.com/SaycheeseDGTL/status/1721940217999859895?s=20

ElNono
11-10-2023, 04:02 AM

https://www.cjr.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/PolitiFact-Truth-O-Meter-1-600x314.jpg?311942

Winehole23
11-10-2023, 12:50 PM
the "move fast and break things" ethic in this case would be the functional equivalent of strip mining property rights.

"swipe shit and don't pay for it"

https://x.com/angryaussie/status/1722484089608138876?s=20

Winehole23
11-11-2023, 04:15 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-kAyZ5XkAAbWQr?format=jpg&name=small

z0sa
11-11-2023, 04:30 PM
I always think of automated (driverless or semi-driverless) trucking when I see these AI stats. That's one of the most blue collar fields one can break into with little or no knowledge, college education, etc. But it's also a very simple job that an AI can no doubt learn to do, and eventually do better since it won't ever be tired, stressed, or distracted.

People who bring up safety concerns 1) aren't being realistic about the profit motive tbh and 2) aren't being realistic that most highways are relatively low traffic and in high traffic/urban areas, the trucks could be driven by a human for a little while ("final mile" type stuff). In a rural area, an AI in most situations where a human being in another vehicle/pedestrian/etc would be hurt could simply drive their a truck off a cliff or whatever. They aren't worried about (their own) injuries like a trucker would be in the same scenarios, IE plowing through 7 cars because they lost control on a downslope in bad weather.

Lawsuits also lose alot of their power when a human isn't involved, so some of that lost cargo with AI could simply be covered by less legal fees (JM layman's O on this one ofc).

Winehole23
11-25-2023, 10:59 AM
In a paper published in JAMA Ophthalmology on 9 November1 (https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-03635-w#ref-CR1), the authors used GPT-4 — the latest version of the large language model on which ChatGPT runs — paired with Advanced Data Analysis (ADA), a model that incorporates the programming language Python and can perform statistical analysis and create data visualizations. The AI-generated data compared the outcomes of two surgical procedures and indicated — wrongly — that one treatment is better than the other.

“Our aim was to highlight that, in a few minutes, you can create a data set that is not supported by real original data, and it is also opposite or in the other direction compared to the evidence that are available,” says study co-author Giuseppe Giannaccare, an eye surgeon at the University of Cagliari in Italy.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-03635-w

Winehole23
11-25-2023, 04:21 PM

Winehole23
11-27-2023, 03:32 PM
enshittification (https://x.com/ethangach/status/1729214649441063093?s=20) of SI by private equity