PDA

View Full Version : Offseason thread

Amuseddaysleeper
12-15-2017, 10:53 PM
After having the worst offseason for SA in recent memory and leading up to a D.O.A team it's time to start looking ahead to how the Spurs can fix this mess of a roster in the summer. A PG is desperately needed, as well as players who can actually shoot from outside.

ElNono
12-15-2017, 10:54 PM
I thought this was the official 2018-2019 offseason thread, tbh... might aswell be

AFMadison
12-15-2017, 11:03 PM
Should have gone all out for Kyrie tbh. Him and Kawhi would have been lethal

NASpurs
12-15-2017, 11:05 PM
Sign Jerry West to the GM position and send Buford to AA.

davi78239
12-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Can't do much now since they uped Aldridge. How much would we have to spend now?

objective
12-16-2017, 12:18 AM
it's time to start looking ahead to how the Spurs can fix this mess of a roster in the summer.

I don't think it can be fixed. Legitimately. The contention is over unless something unforeseen, beyond their expectation or control happens.

The roster was ruined by

A. Bad contracts wrecking caproom with players who aren't even able to close against good teams.
B. A lack of drafting say Bell who could have been a player getting minutes instead of White who sleeps on the bench behind everyone.
C. Throwing away a supreme asset like Simmons for nothing. They didn't even offer him the most money, like they did with Stephen Jackson. And they made sure everyone knew they offered Jackson the most money even though they didn't have restricted rights on him. They just screwed up so badly, Simmons was the best Harden defender on the team.

Almost none of that can be fixed.

MAYBE, they draft someone who can get minutes. That's it.

Mills and Gasol aren't going anywhere. That's another crap year minimum for Gasol, plus three years of cap hits when he gets stretched. And Mills isn't going anywhere either, three more years of crap. A pair of guys who won't be on the floor in crunch time against the real contenders.

Parker is likely to be re-signed, it's not like they'll have caproom to spend anywhere else.

There's no young talent anymore. Green and Anderson can leave. Paul isn't moving any needles. Forbes is no big deal, but he can leave.

Murray might turn into Antonio Daniels but that's no guarantee.

They desperately depend on Manu who is a soon to retire turnover machine.

They're done.

They drafted Milutinov, who I like very much, but refuse to bring him over, knowing the risk of him Splittering them. They even had caproom to bring him over after his draft, and it's not like they were paying Boban long term. But now they can hope to pay him from their MLE. Well, he won't be enough.

TimDunkem
12-16-2017, 12:20 AM
Can't do much now since they uped Aldridge. How much would we have to spend now?
Not much when you consider they're going to certainly re-up Green and Parker while seeing what's left to give to Kyle.

TheGreatYacht
12-16-2017, 12:20 AM
*Large Cranium, Danny League, Bryn Forbes get maxed out*

In b4 PATFO fluffers say 2018 wasn't the plan, it was 2023 all along.

Hoops Czar
12-16-2017, 12:26 AM
They did fucking what? What's next, a 15M bonus to Ginobili if he ever scores 20 points in a game again?

palangi
12-16-2017, 01:24 AM
Right now the Toros have 2 better PGs than the spurs do.

SAGirl
12-16-2017, 02:55 AM
You could have titled it trade deadline targets and it would be more appropriate.

Darius Bieber
12-16-2017, 03:08 AM
Get Rick Carlisle here. An actual coach who cares. He's doing magic work with the shit ass roster he has.

vander
12-16-2017, 03:12 AM
Will this offseason be any better than last? Extensions for TP and Green, losing a guy or two that should have been kept...

Amuseddaysleeper
12-16-2017, 03:40 AM
You could have titled it trade deadline targets and it would be more appropriate.

Let’s be honest, spurs aren’t going to do anything at the trade deadline so we are probably looking at the summer for a hard reboot. This team needs its biggest shakeup since the summer of 2009.

Darius Bieber
12-16-2017, 03:40 AM
Spurs never make a big splash in the off-season anyways.

TD 21
12-16-2017, 06:21 PM
Should have gone all out for Kyrie tbh. Him and Kawhi would have been lethal

Spurs didn't have the assets to make that deal. Should have offered Mills and Murray for Bledsoe though. Suns would have had to wait until yesterday, when Mills became eligible to be traded, but given what they got, they probably would have.

Now they're stuck, hoping Murray can become a star and soon. They should be working the back channels on Walker; he's a free agent at the end of next season. His situation is similar to Conley's and Holiday's, in that they're probably unwilling to trade him and willing to pay him damn near anything.

If they can sell him, he can request a trade through his representative(s), dissuade others (namely, Nuggets) from trading for him and maybe force their hands into trading him for Mills, Murray, 1st. That way Spurs would have his Bird rights, so he could still get a 5 year contract.

daslicer
12-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Spurs didn't have the assets to make that deal. Should have offered Mills and Murray for Bledsoe though. Suns would have had to wait until yesterday, when Mills became eligible to be traded, but given what they got, they probably would have.

Now they're stuck, hoping Murray can become a star and soon. They should be working the back channels on Walker; he's a free agent at the end of next season. His situation is similar to Conley's and Holiday's, in that they're probably unwilling to trade him and willing to pay him damn near anything.

If they can sell him, he can request a trade through his representative(s), dissuade others (namely, Nuggets) from trading for him and maybe force their hands into trading him for Mills, Murray, 1st. That way Spurs would have his Bird rights, so he could still get a 5 year contract.

I agree with you that the Spurs desperately need a PG but I hate Kemba Walker's game. I live in Charlotte so I have watched a ton of Hornet games for the last several years. Kemba is an undersized PG who is basically a slower less talented version of IT but not as good and is also a chucker who shoots a terrible FG percentages.

TD 21
12-16-2017, 06:56 PM
I agree with you that the Spurs desperately need a PG but I hate Kemba Walker's game. I live in Charlotte so I have watched a ton of Hornet games for the last several years. Kemba is an undersized PG who is basically a slower less talented version of IT but not as good and is also a chucker who shoots a terrible FG percentages.

Find me a better PG that could potentially be attainable anytime soon.

Hornets have had one of the most untalented rosters in the league for years. Of course that's going to have an adverse affect on his percentages (last 2+ seasons, he's still shot 36-40% from 3, on 6-8 attempts per game). On this team, he'd have a superstar and star to play off of some, which would mean more spot up shots and less off the dribble ones.

Of course, his lack of size would be a concern vs Warriors or Rockets, but at least Spurs would have someone who can go back at Curry and Paul, as opposed to this punch less back court, that essentially allows them to rest.

daslicer
12-16-2017, 08:09 PM
Find me a better PG that could potentially be attainable anytime soon.

Hornets have had one of the most untalented rosters in the league for years. Of course that's going to have an adverse affect on his percentages (last 2+ seasons, he's still shot 36-40% from 3, on 6-8 attempts per game). On this team, he'd have a superstar and star to play off of some, which would mean more spot up shots and less off the dribble ones.

Of course, his lack of size would be a concern vs Warriors or Rockets, but at least Spurs would have someone who can go back at Curry and Paul, as opposed to this punch less back court, that essentially allows them to rest.

Unfortunately getting a good PG anytime soon in immediate future will be a challenge for the Spurs. It doesn't seem like there is going to be quick fix to the problem but Kemba is not the solution to the problem. I have watched hundreds of games of Kemba since he was a rookie with the Hornets so I know his game very well. The Hornets don't have a talented team but that's not a bigreason why his percentages are down. I have seen Kemba take a lot of stupid contested shots that weren't necessary during the game where he could have passed the ball to the open man. He does have a Kobe mentality to take stupid shots. His defense also sucks. Another problem is that opposing teams can lock him up easily with taller perimeter players which has happened throughout his career. Also his decision making in close games in the 4 quarter is terrible. By the way he tried to outplay Chris Paul earlier this week and got schooled even worse than what CP3 did to the Spurs the other night. Curry and Paul have owned him throughout their careers especially Curry. So I don't see him providing any type resistance to those guys. Don't see the point of overpaying Kemba to get his ass curb stomped by Curry and CP3 when we can already experience that with the current roster. Right now I'm actually watching him get buried by Lillard.

Bledsoe like you mentioned in the previous post would have been more ideal to have to counter Curry and Paul. Despite shooting bad percentages Bledsoe is super quick and athletic and can easily get to the hole. He's the type of PG that can bother both Curry and CP3 on the offensive end of the court.

SAGirl
12-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Bledsoe like you mentioned in the previous post would have been more ideal to have to counter Curry and Paul. Despite shooting bad percentages Bledsoe is super quick and athletic and can easily get to the hole. He's the type of PG that can bother both Curry and CP3 on the offensive end of the court.
He would have provided a missing element to the Spurs.
They are super loyal to their crew though.

TD 21
12-19-2017, 06:14 PM
Unfortunately getting a good PG anytime soon in immediate future will be a challenge for the Spurs. It doesn't seem like there is going to be quick fix to the problem but Kemba is not the solution to the problem. I have watched hundreds of games of Kemba since he was a rookie with the Hornets so I know his game very well. The Hornets don't have a talented team but that's not a bigreason why his percentages are down. I have seen Kemba take a lot of stupid contested shots that weren't necessary during the game where he could have passed the ball to the open man. He does have a Kobe mentality to take stupid shots. His defense also sucks. Another problem is that opposing teams can lock him up easily with taller perimeter players which has happened throughout his career. Also his decision making in close games in the 4 quarter is terrible. By the way he tried to outplay Chris Paul earlier this week and got schooled even worse than what CP3 did to the Spurs the other night. Curry and Paul have owned him throughout their careers especially Curry. So I don't see him providing any type resistance to those guys. Don't see the point of overpaying Kemba to get his ass curb stomped by Curry and CP3 when we can already experience that with the current roster. Right now I'm actually watching him get buried by Lillard.

Appreciate the first hand perspective, but I still say it would be a no brainer . . .

- With the aura of Spurs and the presence of Leonard and Aldridge, I have no doubt he'd curve that considerably.

- Typical for a small guard, but also largely irrelevant because on this team, the best opposing wing defender guards Leonard.

- No, but like I said, at least they wouldn't get to essentially rest defensively anymore.

- Simple: He's the best they can realistically do and he'd get them closer. He also times a lot better with the core than Murray and despite what you may think of him, he's a top 12 PG and if one could guarantee Murray would become that at some point, I'm pretty sure everyone would take that.