PDA

View Full Version : I'll Be On ESPN NEWS Discussing The Dress Code

nbascribe
10-18-2005, 03:08 PM
I'll be on ESPN NEWS at 5:30 c.s.t with Detroit's Drew Sharp and we'll debate the dress code.

G-Mo

Kori Ellis
10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Cool.

Thanks for telling us, so we can tune in.

Good luck, Greg.

ChumpDumper
10-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Wear something nice for chrissakes.

:drunk

lilmads
10-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Good luck!:)

samikeyp
10-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Well done! Good luck Greg.

blaze89
10-18-2005, 03:19 PM

Yeah, wear something Tim Duncan would wear.

bigzak25
10-18-2005, 03:21 PM
G-Money, i got your back, but I hope your gonna say that the players should be able to wear whatever they want as long as it's not obscene. jeans and tshirt with sneakers should be acceptable minimum.

these are supposed to be professionals. they are MEN. let them be men.

if anyone toes the line of good taste? stern can give them a call.

i want to know who fucked it up for everybody?

what player was dressing so bad that they decided they need a dress code?

Good luck G-Mo, break a leg brother. :tu

Summers
10-18-2005, 03:31 PM

:lol

Manu20
10-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Good Luck! :tu

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 03:40 PM
I'll watch! Let em know! = )

BTW, know what a compliment this is to you. I don't watch espn :throwupsp for just anyone. = )

Obi wan Ginobili
10-18-2005, 04:18 PM
I say they all give Craig Seager a call and ask for his tailor in protest.

nbascribe
10-18-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm actually for the code as it stands.

Heck I had to adhere to thise during high school and taht was the early 1980s.

This isn't that bad. I see where Stern is coming from on this. It's about corporate image. The NBA has a corporate presence in the world now and the players need to at least leave the jerseys and other stuff at the crib.

GM

nbascribe
10-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Heck I'd give Craig Saiger's tailor a call if I could find something in a neutral color!! lol

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 05:19 PM
what channel?

Horry For 3!
10-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Pardon The Interuption is on at 5:30?

Pistons < Spurs
10-18-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm actually for the code as it stands.

Heck I had to adhere to thise during high school and taht was the early 1980s.

This isn't that bad. I see where Stern is coming from on this. It's about corporate image. The NBA has a corporate presence in the world now and the players need to at least leave the jerseys and other stuff at the crib.

GM
:tu

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 05:28 PM
I don't want to miss it.

Horry For 3!
10-18-2005, 05:30 PM
ESPNEWS i'm guessing

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 05:32 PM
channel number?

TheWriter
10-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Greg who?

Kori Ellis
10-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Angel, I think ESPNews is 229 or so on timewarner. Look on your guide.

Horry For 3!
10-18-2005, 05:34 PM
So he is going to be a guest on PTI?

angel_luv

Oh that explains it! I have :oops basic :oops cable.

I am missing every thing today! :depressed

Thank you though Kori! = )

Kori Ellis
I'm guessing so - the Dress Code topic is coming up.

Kori Ellis
10-18-2005, 05:54 PM
It looks like Greg is coming on at 6pm.

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 05:56 PM
I'd love to hear about it if anyone cares to comment afterwards = )

Gerryatrics
10-18-2005, 06:38 PM
The program alert/breaking news spot on the ESPNEWS ticker says: "AHEAD: Debate on NBA Dress Code", so it looks like I didn't miss it. I'll keep an eye open for the debate.

Kori Ellis
10-18-2005, 06:44 PM
It's on now.

spurschick
10-18-2005, 06:52 PM
He made some interesting points, but I think this is a debate that will go on for a while.

Gerryatrics
10-18-2005, 06:55 PM
I can't believe they showed Brent Barry in their video montage of NBA players dressing nicely.

Good stuff Greg. I think the most important point was; In almost any other job you're expected to dress in a certain manner, even if there isn't an official uniform. Why should the NBA be any different? When you go to work you should be presentable, I don't think making millions for playing a game means you can't wear a shirt with a collar or look like a professional instead of a gangsta rapper.

spurschick
10-18-2005, 06:56 PM
But some of those t-shirts they wear cost big $$$ :lol

Kori Ellis
10-18-2005, 06:58 PM
I can't believe they showed Brent Barry in their video montage of NBA players dressing nicely.

Me either. Most of the time I see him, he's in a t-shirt, jeans and athletic shoes.

If they want to clean up the NBA, they need to crack down on other stuff besides how people dress. You can wear a t-shirt and jeans and be a good guy and wear a suit and beat your girlfriend. Clothing doesn't make a man.

Gerryatrics
10-18-2005, 07:13 PM
I think one of the reasons the NBA is focusing on clothes is, it's something they can actually change. It's easy to say "Dress nicely or we'll fine you." it's harder to say "Live a moral and upright life or we'll punish you accordingly." A Dress Code wont change player's behaviour but at least it's a visible sign that the NBA expects a minimum of decorum in the public eye. It's not like we can expect the NBA to actually try to straighten their players out, it's the wife beaters, part-time drug dealers, gat-packing gangstas, a dozen kids he's never seen baby's daddies and plain old psychotic nutcases that bring in the money.

remingtonbo2001
10-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Sorry Timmy, I am going to have to part ways with you on this issue. It is within the NBA's right to enforce any rule that does not cause harm to another person, descriminates, or is considered unethical. I'm not sure why this is such a hot topic. Why do some players feel that the dress code will impose on their personal lives? OH, NO! I actually have to wear appropriate attire for the next 3 hours. Please, no, make it stop. It is such a sad day, when an employer demands that their employees appear presentable. It's as if THEIR 1st Amendment Rights have been violoted. Pssh! BULLSHIT!
I'm tired of those who have this attitude of "THE WORLD IS AGAINST ME". Obviously, Timmy was just stating his opinion, which is perfectly fine. This comment really isn't directed towards him, but to those who believe that because they are endowed with enormous amount of fame and fortune, that they may create exceptions to the rules. This is a much broader issue than players dressing inappropriately. If every player presented himself as well as David Robinson, or Tim Duncan, we would not even be discussing this, or anything remotely close. The league also wouldn't be quite as intriguing, never the less. Hey, if you want to return to a "no dress code" policy, then maybe you should try acting like mature adults. If I were Tim, or anyone for that matter opposing the dress code, I would focus your anger more so upon those who's actions have caused this policy to be implimented, rather than David Stern. Teamates must care for another, on and off the court. No, I don't mean by buttin' in, but just by taking notice and being there one another. I think the Spurs have set a wonderful example of this, and all associated with the NBA should take notice.

kris
10-18-2005, 08:42 PM
I am happy to see Tim Duncan's position on this and I hope he continues his strong stance. David Stern's power is out of control. With many schools already implimenting a similar system for dress code, the NBA's taking it a step further embarks on further paving the way for it to be commonplace for an authority figure of any kind to dictate dress. I understand why McDonald's needs a dress code. I don't understand why the NBA does. I like the way Tim Duncan dresses. He seems comfortable, carefree, and looks cool. Why does he have to wear a sport coat and and long sleeve shirt?

The no headphone rule is also crazy. I do not like this at all. Stern has stepped way over his authority. In high school, I remember I always had to pretend I had my shirt tucked in. I hated it. There still is no good reason behind it. I was an overweight kid and I liked to wear just regular types of tshirts and clothes - for example an Adidas or Spurs print tshirt and jeans. However, sometimes I was made to tuck my shirt in and I felt like I really looked bad.

I'm sure the teachers that were telling me to tuck my shirt in didn't even know why they were telling me to tuck it in. Many students, including LJ didn't participate or tried not to either and the teachers and administration went out of their way to spend any spare moments looking for dress code violations instead of doing something a lot more productive.

I would understand them taking out the obscene shirts or trench coats that the Marilyn Manson kids wore for obvious reasons. Security and incitement being the first two. Same with the jeans so baggy, they looked like garbage bags hoovering around a kids legs. Steel toed boots - I see taking those out too. These are the types of things that have a purpose in taking out. I understand why they needed to be banned.

David Stern is doing this just because he can. He doesn't dress like the players do and the people he hangs around with don't either. So now, he's making them dress like him. That's rediculous. You can't tell me they are now going to reach the previous non-fan business man because they wear suits and they can identify with the players now. Stern says they need to look professional. Professional what? They are professional basketball players. This is how a lot of basketball players dress. That's just how it is. They wear throwbacks for a variety of reasons, but I know a lot of them like to pay tribute to past players. If they were businessmen, then I would understand it. They are basketball players though, basketball players don't go for tight and formal clothes. They go loose and comfortable - that's how they work.

Sometimes they dress really nice and wear suits - why? Because they are usually going somewhere that dictates that. Sitting at a basketball game doesn't necessitate a suit or sport coat attire. I think it would be rediculous if fans started showing up in suits to watch a game. That makes no sense. If someone wants to wear a suit to go to a Spurs game and then go home, fine. Great, that's their choice. But, it should also be the player's choice to not wear that.

I have 7 pro football jerseys. Sometimes, I wear them to law school, sometimes I wear a polo shirt and khaki's like 99% of the guys do. Do i fit the image the dean is looking for everyday? No. But at least, I get to wear what I want which amazingly is more than NBA players get to do.

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 09:29 PM
What exactly did Timmy say?

Obstructed_View
10-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Here's the thing: I remember Iverson wearing different throwback jerseys last year and it was picked up by the media, and he was paying homage to a lot of old school players, and it was promoting the NBA. I've never seen a player in a suit do such a good job of promotion, and now the new dress code might as well say "look at Iverson and don't do that".

Kori Ellis
10-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Greg Moore. He's the one who started this thread and was on ESPNews.

mouse
10-18-2005, 10:53 PM
A white man telling black men how to dress, Priceless.

HB22inSA
10-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Yeah, what's next, signing their paychecks...

Oh, wait...

Just get over it, you're professional, dress the part.

After all, the NBA is your "job."

Clandestino
10-18-2005, 11:44 PM
yeah, they could go play in europe if the nba has too many rules.