PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi's hops

Big Empty
12-27-2017, 12:25 PM
What do you think about Kawhi and his vertical leap? Being considered the best two way player in the game, how do you thin it effects his longevity? I ask because when you look at a Jordan/Kobe/James type player, they played above the rim for so many years. It was when they were in their mid 30's that the leap started to fade. Is it me or does Kawhi not really have much of a good leap. As great as he is, does his athletic ability start to fade faster than the players I listed as he ages? Thoughts?

Play Boban
12-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Kawhi’s veritcal leap is actually lower than Matt Bonner’s.

AFMadison
12-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Yea Kawhi has no leap, which may greatly benefit him in the long run.

spurraider21
12-27-2017, 12:55 PM
What do you think about Kawhi and his vertical leap? Being considered the best two way player in the game, how do you thin it effects his longevity? I ask because when you look at a Jordan/Kobe/James type player, they played above the rim for so many years. It was when they were in their mid 30's that the leap started to fade. Is it me or does Kawhi not really have much of a good leap. As great as he is, does his athletic ability start to fade faster than the players I listed as he ages? Thoughts?
would also mean his effectiveness isn't entirely reliant upon elite athleticism/explosiveness, so his decline will probably be smoothed like timmy's as opposed to a cliff like amare stoudemire

cd021
12-27-2017, 12:59 PM

I wouldn't say Kawhi relies on his athleticism, because he is not an elite athlete- not like Westbrook and Blake do. He has freakish length and is actually very quick for his size. As Nate Duncan frequently points out, Kawhi is frigging strong and overpowers opposing players that should help as he ages.

I think his game could age well. He is an excellent shooter and already has an elite post game and in between game. Defensively, I do wonder, but his length and anticipation should go along way to helping him be good on that end into his 30's.

Strange but true.

bic50
12-27-2017, 01:19 PM
No it isn't.

bic50
12-27-2017, 01:21 PM
He seems to use it at certain moments. Plus his length doesn't really require him to jump high

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-27-2017, 01:24 PM
Kawhi's very athletic, the only reason people perceive him as not athletic are his ridiculously bad 2011 draft combine measurements. All of them - from his vertical, to bench pressing and agility are laughably bad and clearly inaccurate once you've seen him play in actual games. Whether he didn't take them seriously or wasn't feeling well or whatever, they contributed to him falling to the Spurs.

exstatic
12-27-2017, 01:51 PM
No it isn't.

DX had him at 27” standing vert at the draft combine. That’s pretty pedestrian.

SPURt
12-27-2017, 01:58 PM
https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/kawhi-leonard-putback-against-miami-game-4-b.gif?w=1000

hater
12-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Hes an old school playa

Dr J type or James Worthy. Those neegs never needed to jump high although the Dr could if he wanted to

exstatic
12-27-2017, 02:12 PM
https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/kawhi-leonard-putback-against-miami-game-4-b.gif?w=1000

His freakish 7’3” wingspan allows him to play above the rim. Since that is +8 on his height, it’s almost like an extra 4” on his vert.

daslicer
12-27-2017, 02:44 PM
Kawhi's vertical is 32 inches from what I have heard. That's above average but not super athletic. Lebron,Jordan,Pippen all had verticals that were 40 plus. Keep in mind Kevin Durant's vertical is only 33 so it goes to show you that also having large wingspan helps to compensate for not having super athletic hops.

Play Boban
12-27-2017, 02:48 PM
No it isn't.
Yes, it is.

bic50
12-27-2017, 03:14 PM
DX had him at 27” standing vert at the draft combine. That’s pretty pedestrian.
I remember it being in the 30s

bic50
12-27-2017, 03:15 PM
Yes, it is.
Doesn't look like it.

dabom
12-27-2017, 03:28 PM
Kawhi's very athletic, the only reason people perceive him as not athletic are his ridiculously bad 2011 draft combine measurements. All of them - from his vertical, to bench pressing and agility are laughably bad and clearly inaccurate once you've seen him play in actual games. Whether he didn't take them seriously or wasn't feeling well or whatever, they contributed to him falling to the Spurs.

dabom
12-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Kawhi doesnt fully jump or else he misses the rim entirely. You can see his athleticism when he goes for rebounds. Ya need to watch more basketball. :lmao

dabom
12-27-2017, 03:35 PM
Dude also weights 240. He'd be flying at 200.

Mikeanaro
12-27-2017, 04:26 PM
Cowhi has hops, not like Leroy who can almost touch the rim with his head, but with all those tendinitis/tendiopathy issues I bet he is not using the full tank, also I blame his sex life all that fucking and having babies destroys your legs, and causes tendishitis in the long term.
Women really weaken legs, said good ol´ Mickey.

sananspursfan21
12-27-2017, 05:40 PM
He dunks so easily because of his arm length. He has excellent hang-time. He tends to hang in the air for a long time but not necessarily very far up there. But the primary reason he can play above the rim so well is because of his wing-span. What I would do for wing-span...

tonight...you
12-27-2017, 06:14 PM
He dunks so easily because of his arm length. He has excellent hang-time. He tends to hang in the air for a long time but not necessarily very far up there. But the primary reason he can play above the rim so well is because of his wing-span. What I would do for wing-span...
Lol... who wouldn't? We all want wing span.

Snaq O'Meal
12-27-2017, 06:41 PM

Arm length is only part of that equation. Kawhi is quite explosive, though not elite.

Kyle has similar length/reach, but could barely get above the rim.

The guy with truly freakish length AND hops is Rudy Gay, at least before his Achilles injury. Even the Fake Greek couldn’t keep up with him.

Play Boban
12-27-2017, 07:21 PM

Play Boban
12-27-2017, 07:22 PM
Doesn't look like it.
:cry

itzsoweezee
12-27-2017, 07:44 PM
He isn't a great athlete, but his measurements are out of this world and he had supreme reflexes.

phxspurfan
12-27-2017, 08:18 PM
He's not jumping out of the gym these days. Probably still a little timid with it since he isn't completely over the injury. Notice how he takes off with the right a lot too.

UZER
12-27-2017, 08:37 PM
He's never been a big leaper. His wingspan makes up for his lack of big hops. He can rarely leap over guys, but he can easily extend out of their reach

But big hops or not, what he really lacks is quick vertical explosion. It's the reason he struggles so much in traffic. If the runway isn't clear for a big takeoff, he's off balance or gets easily bumped out of rhythm when going up in traffic. He has to fully get his footing under him like in the finals rebound clip, or have clear path to gather a big 1-2 step. Like he lacks quick feet coordination.

Wildcat67
12-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Not sure you guys know what you're saying. You're saying juming 40" repeatedly has more impact than jumping 32" (not exact #'s). You realize the microscopic difference in the forces generated between falling 40" and 32"?

spurraider21
12-27-2017, 09:26 PM
Not sure you guys know what you're saying. You're saying juming 40" repeatedly has more impact than jumping 32" (not exact #'s). You realize the microscopic difference in the forces generated between falling 40" and 32"?
:lol

i have no doubt that i can fall 40 inches and not sustain injury

that doesnt mean i have anything near a 40 inch vert

Wildcat67
12-27-2017, 09:44 PM
:lol

i have no doubt that i can fall 40 inches and not sustain injury

that doesnt mean i have anything near a 40 inch vert

Thanks for making my point. Falling 40" vs. 32" is not a meaningful difference is forces.

sananspursfan21
12-27-2017, 11:07 PM
Lol... who wouldn't? We all want wing span.

I just want to be able to fly, ok?

sananspursfan21
12-27-2017, 11:11 PM
Arm length is only part of that equation. Kawhi is quite explosive, though not elite.

Kyle has similar length/reach, but could barely get above the rim.

The guy with truly freakish length AND hops is Rudy Gay, at least before his Achilles injury. Even the Fake Greek couldn’t keep up with him.

Right, but he's no Vince Carter. He's athletic, but he won't wow you with his leaping ability. He wouldn't dunk in traffic half as much if you removed 6" from each arm.

tholdren
12-27-2017, 11:23 PM

It doesnt work like that

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-28-2017, 01:47 AM
Wildcat67's sig is the best part about this entire thread.

KL can hop.

Spurtacular
12-28-2017, 02:18 AM
Hes an old school playa

Dr J type or James Worthy. Those neegs never needed to jump high although the Dr could if he wanted to

Dr. J relied greatly on his leap; and even in his final season, he still had a bit in the tank even, tbh. In 82 or whenever that was that he was cradling Cooper to sleep or the play that he reached around the backboard and made the layup, he had actually already started the downhill of his career already; but he was just too much of a freak of nature to not do that.

dabom
12-28-2017, 07:51 AM
Some say westbrook is an athletic freak.

https://streamable.com/c3e8v

or Kawhi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpv4JPPTjhM

dabom
12-28-2017, 07:55 AM
westbrook barely gets the dunk meanwhile Kawgod cradles the ball two hands off of a bad rim bounce with a large gap towards the basket mans dunk.

YGWHI
12-28-2017, 08:14 AM
This is how Kawhi gets his points

He doesn't need to rely on freak athleticism to drive hard to the hoop, which is great for his future.

dabom
12-28-2017, 08:15 AM
Kawhi not even trying dunk at 1:30. :wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA1GYjD1yHo

Casually jumps off his left leg... rises with his right hand... lowers his hand and passes to his left... dunks with his left with ease. :wow

Imagine when he tries. :wow

cd021
12-28-2017, 01:14 PM
His freakish 7’3” wingspan allows him to play above the rim. Since that is +8 on his height, it’s almost like an extra 4” on his vert.

Agreed. That had more to do with his length than his ups.

cd021
12-28-2017, 01:17 PM
Kawhi's vertical is 32 inches from what I have heard. That's above average but not super athletic. Lebron,Jordan,Pippen all had verticals that were 40 plus. Keep in mind Kevin Durant's vertical is only 33 so it goes to show you that also having large wingspan helps to compensate for not having super athletic hops.

32' for a 3 is probably below average though I thought it was 34 inches which is closer to being average.

Gagnrath
12-28-2017, 02:54 PM
Speed at impact:4.08 m/s
or14.69 km/h
Time until impact: 0.42 s
Energy at impact: 907.97 joules

Roughly 32 inches

Speed at impact:4.47 m/s
or16.10 km/h
Time until impact: 0.46 s
Energy at impact: 1089.56 joules

At 40 inches... It does make a fairly significant difference in forces.

tholdren
12-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Agreed. That had more to do with his length than his ups.

Probably has to have a 10 inch vert to dunk. Whats his reach when he stands straight up? Over 9' i would assume

spurraider21
12-28-2017, 02:58 PM
the ability to withstand the impact from falling from a certain height is not the same as the ability to leap to that height :lol

this is such a ridiculous line of analysis...

keithington1
12-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Your right. He can throw down some of the nastiest dunks if he tried. We've seen dunks when his head was at the rim.

phxspurfan
12-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Can't wait till we get this Kawhi back

5iXRqNBUSsA

cd021
12-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Probably has to have a 10 inch vert to dunk. Whats his reach when he stands straight up? Over 9' i would assume

Found this:

At 6'7 in sneakers, Leonard possesses good size for a small forward to go along with his massive 7'3 wingspan. That wingspan and his 8'10 standing reach should contribute big-time on the defensive end. He also had an excellent 5.4% body fat and the second largest hands in the group.

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-measurement-analysis

Probably would need to only jump about 16 inches off the ground to clear the rim and be able to dunk.

tholdren
12-28-2017, 10:11 PM
Found this:

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-measurement-analysis

Probably would need to only jump about 16 inches off the ground to clear the rim and be able to dunk.

Good find.