PDA

View Full Version : Should the starting lineup be tweaked...

ElNono
12-30-2017, 09:16 PM
now that Kawhi is back and Gay is out? I get that Pau is a great passer, but with options #1 and #2 being ISO Kawbe and LMA postup, Pau is somewhat underutilized. Maybe start Fathead (until Gay is back) in his place and let MVPau shine with the bench?

Kinda same situation with Tony, not all his fault he's pretty useless offensively. Maybe having another shooter in Patty/Forbes, or a penetration guy like Murray makes more sense, and TP can also have his big moment in a different lineup, tbh...

ElNono
12-30-2017, 09:18 PM
You know it's not trolling when I mentioned starting Kyle, tbh

timtonymanu
12-30-2017, 09:19 PM
The starting PG should have been changed two seasons ago. But PATDrunkford still thinks the same backcourt from 2014 is still playable today.

SAGirl
12-30-2017, 09:20 PM
Pop should look at possible tweaks indeed.
It's not just Rudy injured, but also the lack of bigs for the bench. Rudy had hidden that fact very well, and Davis played well some games, but right now the entire team has an identity crisis.
We shall see. I suspect Pop is going to force guys into roles... he's going to give more time to the starters to gel... and for the bench to get it together.

He adjusted the lineups when they were understaffed early this season, but only after a 3 game losing streak (that became a 4 game losing streak when they lost to GSW)... the record with Kiwi back is alarming.

Pau is indeed getting wasted with the starters. He really shines with his passing in his best games.

ducks
12-30-2017, 09:21 PM
Jeff McDonald
Jeff McDonald
@JMcDonald_SAEN
You remember all those games when the Spurs play with like four starters down and the other team lets down? This is maybe that, to an extent.
Richard Streeter Richie_streeter
Replying to @JMcDonald_SAEN
I get that sure, but this is a Pistons team missing Jackson and Bradley. This seems like an odd game to play uninspired

UZER
12-30-2017, 09:22 PM
now that Kawhi is back and Gay is out? I get that Pau is a great passer, but with options #1 and #2 being ISO Kawbe and LMA postup, Pau is somewhat underutilized. Maybe start Fathead (until Gay is back) in his place and let MVPau shine with the bench?

Kinda same situation with Tony, not all his fault he's pretty useless offensively. Maybe having another shooter in Patty/Forbes, or a penetration guy like Murray makes more sense, and TP can also have his big moment in a different lineup, tbh...

Tweak this.....bitch.

With Love,

:pop:

ElNono
12-30-2017, 09:23 PM
Tweak this.....bitch.

With Love,

:pop: Kiss them rings

NASpurs
12-30-2017, 09:24 PM
The starting PG should have been changed two seasons ago. But PATDrunkford still thinks the same backcourt from 2014 is still playable today.

The loyalty is too strong and they'll go down in the sinking ship if it means being loyal to a fault.

Robz4000
12-30-2017, 09:25 PM
There really isn't any tweak that can be done with the SL at this point that can help. Moving Gasol to the bench only bogs down the offense more since they need his playmaking and adds another poor shooter in Kyle, and benching Porker puts in an even worse option since neither Mills or Murray can take care of the ball or run an offense. You could bench Kawhi but he's also the best bet for the SL to get back on track; him playing well makes the rest play well (or at least hide their poor play).

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2017, 09:25 PM
Time to get rid of the first 2 SG's in the rotation. They've become revolving doors on defense and they're negatives offensively.

Unfortunately Hilliard and BumP3 are behind them on the rotation....

New Year New Shooting guards please

UZER
12-30-2017, 09:31 PM
:pop: Kiss them rings

Ugh...Nono...tell me how my ass tastes. Nono....yeah.....tell me how my ass tastes.

Your Loyal to a Fault Friend,

P.s. New planets bruh

BackHome
12-30-2017, 09:31 PM
Tired of midget on our team we need to get rid of Forbes and Mills they suck so bad on defense.

tholdren
12-30-2017, 09:32 PM
Leonard kills ball movement trade

tbdog
12-30-2017, 09:38 PM
Our guard rotation is awful. Gasol, Lma, Leonard, Gay, and Kyle are all playing well. They is a solid 5-3 there. But TP, Mills, Murray, Green, Forbes, Paul, and Manu are so inconsistent, it hurts. I would seriously look into getting Fournier.

tholdren
12-30-2017, 09:41 PM
Our guard rotation is awful. Gasol, Lma, Leonard, Gay, and Kyle are all playing well. They is a solid 5-3 there. But TP, Mills, Murray, Green, Forbes, Paul, and Manu are so inconsistent, it hurts. I would seriously look into getting Fournier.

Leonard sucks

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2017, 09:45 PM
Lakers are trying to trade San Antonio native Jordan Clarkson tbh fyi

tholdren
12-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Lakers are trying to trade San Antonio native Jordan Clarkson tbh fyi

No

cd021
12-30-2017, 09:51 PM
Leonard kills ball movement trade

The ball movement was really bad with him in the game, Aldridge didn't get going until Leonard was out of the game.

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2017, 09:55 PM
No
Better than Kennard

tholdren
12-30-2017, 09:56 PM
The ball movement was really bad with him in the game, Aldridge didn't get going until Leonard was out of the game.

Its iso w star versus team ball movement. Interesting to see gasols assists with and wo kawhi playing

tholdren
12-30-2017, 09:57 PM
Better than Kennard

Not on sa

tholdren
12-30-2017, 09:59 PM
Better than Kennard

Kennard just owned leonard

cd021
12-30-2017, 10:06 PM
Really liked Anderson tonight wouldn't mind seeing him start but Gay makes more sense (when he returns) and have them split minutes at the 4; though benching Gasol - who has been the second best player isn't ideal.

Chinook
12-30-2017, 10:07 PM

I know I'm just a huge Leonard hater blinded by rage, but this was easy to see coming. Kawhi doesn't actually work within an offense during his best moments because of his iso plays. It's just too hard to make off-ball movements when you don't know when and where the ball is going to be. Had Leonard come in and dropped 30-plus, it likely would have been easy to overlook what was going on. But 18 points weren't good enough. It also didn't help that Kawhi is still trying to draw fouls under last year's rules. He's letting the lack of whistles get to him, but honestly I don't think he's getting hit too much. He rather seems to be initiating the contact. Objectively speaking, I'd be happy with those not being called for non-Spurs.

Moving Bertans into the starting lineup would definitely help the offense. Parker isn't the problem, as we've seen from his games without Kawhi. He works well with Pau and LMA, and the others know how to play off him. Bringing in a dynamic shooter would definitely help with spacing. The defense remains a concern, especially since Kawhi is not really back on that end. Pop had him guarding a two-guard (unsuccessfully) most of the game, conceding a size mismatch for Green and using a guy who's clearly still hurt as the primary defender. That is sickening. Anyways, it would definitely be a risk to start Bertans defensively, as the man misses rotations way more than a starter should and is a poor rebounder. But it's something I would like to see them do.

Again, though, the best thing they can do is have Kawhi take a backseat for a while and focus on getting back into basketball shape. The team will need him to be ready for them to be their best, but they weren't struggling without him. So he doesn't need to come back in and have everything like last year. He should get his legs under him, play off LMA and then start picking his spots again. As the season keeps going, he can keep getting more and more comfortable with the rest of his guys before being ready to take over during the stretch-run. It would probably also help if Kawhi is the first one out for now and having him come in and play with the bench for a while each stint. Without Gay, having a go-to scorer in the second would certainly help, and if he comes in as LMA is leaving, the issues with them both getting touches will be reduced.

cd021
12-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Its iso w star versus team ball movement. Interesting to see gasols assists with and wo kawhi playing

Aldridge doesn't get many post touches with KL on the floor but when he does he rushes shots he seems to rush them because he won't get many other chances. He seemed to play better during the final five minutes of the second quarter without Kawi.

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2017, 10:14 PM
Kennard just owned leonard
Kennard is an inferior specimen. Just as Larry Bird was to Magic

YGWHI
12-30-2017, 10:23 PM
Aldridge doesn't get many post touches with KL on the floor but when he does he rushes shots he seems to rush them because he won't get many other chances. He seemed to play better during the final five minutes of the second quarter without Kawi.

LMA is rushing shots and shooting like shit this month with and without Kawhi in the game.

29% vs Pistons 1st game, 39% vs Suns/Mavs/Rockets, 39%vs Jazz, 42% vs NYK...

He's not having his best games.

BackHome
12-30-2017, 10:26 PM
They desperately need a good SG next year someone who can dribble shoot and create his own shot. They need to get rid of the tiny midgets Forbes and Mills the time of one dimensional players is over oh and add Green I can dribble or make a layup in that category.

Play Boban
12-30-2017, 10:28 PM
Kawhi should be shown the dog house tbh.

UZER
12-30-2017, 10:31 PM
:lol Parker and Manu still major components of this team in 2018

Hoops Czar
12-30-2017, 10:33 PM
:lol Manu still a major component of this team in 2026
Fify

SAGirl
12-30-2017, 10:33 PM
I know I'm just a huge Leonard hater blinded by rage, but this was easy to see coming. Kawhi doesn't actually work within an offense during his best moments because of his iso plays. It's just too hard to make off-ball movements when you don't know when and where the ball is going to be. Had Leonard come in and dropped 30-plus, it likely would have been easy to overlook what was going on. But 18 points weren't good enough. It also didn't help that Kawhi is still trying to draw fouls under last year's rules. He's letting the lack of whistles get to him, but honestly I don't think he's getting hit too much. He rather seems to be initiating the contact. Objectively speaking, I'd be happy with those not being called for non-Spurs.

Moving Bertans into the starting lineup would definitely help the offense. Parker isn't the problem, as we've seen from his games without Kawhi. He works well with Pau and LMA, and the others know how to play off him. Bringing in a dynamic shooter would definitely help with spacing. The defense remains a concern, especially since Kawhi is not really back on that end. Pop had him guarding a two-guard (unsuccessfully) most of the game, conceding a size mismatch for Green and using a guy who's clearly still hurt as the primary defender. That is sickening. Anyways, it would definitely be a risk to start Bertans defensively, as the man misses rotations way more than a starter should and is a poor rebounder. But it's something I would like to see them do.

Again, though, the best thing they can do is have Kawhi take a backseat for a while and focus on getting back into basketball shape. The team will need him to be ready for them to be their best, but they weren't struggling without him. So he doesn't need to come back in and have everything like last year. He should get his legs under him, play off LMA and then start picking his spots again. As the season keeps going, he can keep getting more and more comfortable with the rest of his guys before being ready to take over during the stretch-run. It would probably also help if Kawhi is the first one out for now and having him come in and play with the bench for a while each stint. Without Gay, having a go-to scorer in the second would certainly help, and if he comes in as LMA is leaving, the issues with them both getting touches will be reduced.

You make several different points here.
1. Bench leonard (which you kind of make at the end), isn't going to happen... for who? Kyle? No way. Even Pop wouldn't commit that sin. Just no way Kiwi is benched. Team will go down in losing streaks with him in this state and not bench him IMO.

2. Bench Pau for Bertans? Am I understanding that one right? I could see it, but they won't be better. Pau still spaces the court well, and is better in every other possible basketball aspect besides shooting. Pau will benefit the bench bc they have no inside presence without Gay (and frankly POp played an assortment of Pau or LMA previously with the bench even with Rudy healthy so I don't understand why now that Gay is injured he feels compelled to throw Joff with Kyle out there all of a sudden). Pop also threw the kitchen sink in with how many different lineups and guys he threw out there.

Pau improves the bench, but the starters will not be better. However, I think the point is that with Kawhiso and LMA game, they don't need Pau's skils that much. OTOH some will say that precisely bc of the lack of skilled passing that group's natural tendencies have, an unselfish guy like Pau is needed. However Pau is really shining outside of the Kawhiso games.

YGWHI
12-30-2017, 10:36 PM

Kawhi was driving and kicking to open 3-point shooters who missed every shot. He had just 3 asts but should have been at least 6. Danny, Bryn, DJ missed wide open shots

While I expect to see a two-man game between him and LMA, Pop doesn't call it...Then P&Rs involving LMA are reduced to Parker/Manu plays. When these two guys have bad games like tonight...LMA seems a ghost because nobody sets him well.

Chinook
12-30-2017, 10:40 PM
You make several different points here.
1. Bench leonard (which you kind of make at the end), isn't going to happen... for who? Kyle? No way. Even Pop wouldn't commit that sin. Just no way Kiwi is benched. Team will go down in losing streaks with him in this state and not bench him IMO.

2. Bench Pau for Bertans? Am I understanding that one right? I could see it, but they won't be better. Pau still spaces the court well, and is better in every other possible basketball aspect besides shooting. Pau will benefit the bench bc they have no inside presence without Gay (and frankly POp played an assortment of Pau or LMA previously with the bench even with Rudy healthy so I don't understand why now that Gay is injured he feels compelled to throw Joff with Kyle out there all of a sudden). Pop also threw the kitchen sink in with how many different lineups and guys he threw out there.

Pau improves the bench, but the starters will not be better. However, I think the point is that with Kawhiso and LMA game, they don't need Pau's skils that much. OTOH some will say that precisely bc of the lack of skilled passing that group's natural tendencies and unselfish guy like Pau is needed. However Pau is really shining outside of the Kawhiso games.

I didn't advocate benching Kawhi. I advocated him being the first one out and then the first one back in. So Kahwi goes out after like four minutes and then comes back in when LMA sits. This puts one of the team's two best scorers on the floor at the same time while also maximizing their time apart. This idea is independent from the one about Pau going to the bench. I don't think it's as necessary to bring in spacing if it's only for a couple of minutes. However, it would also be something to consider when Gay comes back.

Essentially Kawhi will take over Forbes' spot and cedes part of his current spot to Anderson and the other wings. Same minutes but distributed between both lineups differently than before.

cd021
12-30-2017, 10:43 PM

Don't see Bertans as a viable option in the SL though I get the point, Gay make the most sense when he returns with Gasol anchoring the bench with Mills, Manu, and Anderson sharing the floor with him.

Your point about staggering so Leonard and LMA both get their touches is something that is probably the best option. Something like this might work:

1st
12:00-5:00-Leonard subbed out
12:00-2:00- Aldridge subbed out

2nd
9:00-0:00 Leonard subbed in
6:00-0:00 Aldridge subbed in

3rd
12:00-5:00-Leonard subbed out
12:00-2:00- Aldridge subbed out

4th
9:00-0:00 Leonard subbed in
7:00-0:00 Aldridge subbed in

This give each at least a little time to be the focal point of the offense. During the time that they play together, Leonard can't keep doing his Kawhiso's to the detriment of Aldridge and would it kill Pop to run Kawhi/ LMA pick and rolls/pops?

Leonard almost exclusively runs pick and rolls/pops with Gasol while Aldridge is standing in the corner knowing that he'll never get the ball from Kawhi because Leonard will either pull up or hit Gasol for an open shot. Thought Aldridge did a good job of moving the ball instead of jacking up shots whenever he got it; Leonard needs take a step back and try and make more of an effort to fit in, teams are still playing Kawhi closely, he can use the attention he's getting to help everyone else get more open looks.

I'm being hard on Kawhi but i've been annoyed with what i've seen from him the last couple of games that he's played.

SAGirl
12-30-2017, 10:49 PM
I didn't advocate benching Kawhi. I advocated him being the first one out and then the first one back in. So Kahwi goes out after like four minutes and then comes back in when LMA sits. This puts one of the team's two best scorers on the floor at the same time while also maximizing their time apart. This idea is independent from the one about Pau going to the bench. I don't think it's as necessary to bring in spacing if it's only for a couple of minutes. However, it would also be something to consider when Gay comes back.

Essentially Kawhi will take over Forbes' spot and cedes part of his current spot to Anderson and the other wings. Same minutes but distributed between both lineups differently than before.
Ok. I was very confused then as to what is your real suggestion. I think Kawhi can get his game back with playing himself into shape basically.

Maybe the starters just didn't come in really prepared and thought this game was going to be a piece of cake bc of how many guys the Pistons were missing. But I like the idea of staggering minutes more than Pop's idea of going through the entire suited up roster.

cd021
12-30-2017, 10:49 PM
LMA is rushing shots and shooting like shit this month with and without Kawhi in the game.

29% vs Pistons 1st game, 39% vs Suns/Mavs/Rockets, 39%vs Jazz, 42% vs NYK...

He's not having his best games.

To be fair, LMA struggled tonight because of the defense and that Utah game, he just missed a bunch of makeable shots. He has shot poorly for him this month (45.0%) but Kawhi hasn't helped by messing up the flow of the offense.

tbdog
12-30-2017, 10:53 PM
Leonard is definitely forcing, wanting to show his new skills, but he is totally out of sync.

Chinook
12-30-2017, 10:56 PM
Ok. I am very confused then as to what is your real suggestion. I think Kawhi can get his game back with playing himself into shape basically.

Maybe the starters just didn't come in really prepared and thought this game was going to be a piece of cake bc of how many guys the Pistons were missing.

Essentially Kawhi starts and then goes out after four or five minutes. Then he comes back in toward the end of the first when LMA sits. Then he goes back out a few minutes into the next quarter when LMA is ready to check back in. Then finally he comes in to close the half with LMA.

If we think of these as chunks of four minutes:

Leonard
Aldridge

12-8
IN
IN

8-4
OUT
IN

4-0
IN
OUT

12-8
IN
OUT

8-4
OUT
IN

4-0
IN
IN

It would obviously be more complex than that. But both guys are on pace for 32 mpg, the team has one on the court at all times and they each play half their minutes as the first option.

YGWHI
12-30-2017, 10:57 PM
Leonard almost exclusively runs pick and rolls/pops with Gasol while Aldridge is standing in the corner knowing that he'll never get the ball from Kawhi because Leonard will either pull up or hit Gasol for an open shot. Thought Aldridge did a good job of moving the ball instead of jacking up shots whenever he got it; Leonard needs take a step back and try and make more of an effort to fit in, teams are still playing Kawhi closely, he can use the attention he's getting to help everyone else get more open looks.

But you know that's not Kawhi's fault if Pop designed plays that way, right?

I've said before I still expect more two-man game between Kawhi and LMA but Parker/Manu seems the only guys running plays with LMA, while Kawhi does it with Gasol and even JLo.

I'm being hard on Kawhi but i've been annoyed with what i've seen from him the last couple of games that he's played.
Well, Kawhi is deferring/passing the ball a lot more than last season. It could be because he knows he's not 100% or because he wants to fit into the offense.

SAGirl
12-30-2017, 11:01 PM
Essentially Kawhi starts and then goes out after four or five minutes. Then he comes back in toward the end of the first when LMA sits. Then he goes back out a few minutes into the next quarter when LMA is ready to check back in. Then finally he comes in to close the half with LMA.

If we think of these as chunks of four minutes:

Leonard
Aldridge

12-8
IN
IN

8-4
OUT
IN

4-0
IN
OUT

12-8
IN
OUT

8-4
OUT
IN

4-0
IN
IN

It would obviously be more complex than that. But both guys are on pace for 32 mpg, the team has one on the court at all times and they each play half their minutes as the first option.

Are you just a little concerned that these guys aren't making each other better? Usually stars want to play with other stars bc they each make the game easier for each other. The entire success of this version of the Spurs may hinge on Pop precisely balancing the talent that he has.

It might be too soon to separate them so much... although we have seen this b4.

Also, this is an aside... I'd like Kyle to remain in the bench if he's going to ultimately stay a bench player. I think his unselfish nature makes him a guy that is more vulnerable to chemistry with teammates than most. I think he probably needs to be more aggressive with the bench than he is with the starters.

Also, I'd like for Dejounte to continue to get some time. I realize Pop's preference for Forbes is due to his shooting but Murray adds so much in the hustle factor, which this team lacks from their guards (specially aside from Danny who is hobbled, and Manu who has the hustle but is 40).

I am with the poster above who mentioned the team's guards are in a pitiful state. When they play well (like Tony's good games, Manu's good games, even Danny's good games) the team looks very different. I like Forbes enough but I am getting tired of seeing him as a wing out there.

ducks
12-30-2017, 11:02 PM
Pop told lma he can fucking do what he wants on o

ElNono
12-30-2017, 11:02 PM
Pop designed plays

Pop stopped coaching 3 years ago. Now he just goes on power trips against the rooks.

ducks
12-30-2017, 11:03 PM
Pop coached tp to finals mvp

ducks
12-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Spurs starters played 4 games together that even included preseason
and fans want a new starting lineup

SAGirl
12-30-2017, 11:12 PM
I mean this is nice to discuss, but we know Pop isn't tweaking squat.

It will take a losing streak for him to tweak someone in or out. He feels comfortable tweaking everyone but any of the top 8 rotation players.

They might start looking for an additional big.

YGWHI
12-30-2017, 11:18 PM
Pop stopped coaching 3 years ago. Now he just goes on power trips against the rooks.

"But but my players didn't respect the rivals, didn't respect the game...This is how it looked to me after the 1st quarter..."

I wonder how the best coach in the league couldn't adjust in the other 3 quarters

Still wonder how the best coach in the world couldn't make that Parker-Manu together work in the SL...Almost the same with Kawhi-LMA now

Imagine Phil benching Kobe for Shaq or vice versa...Kerr benching KD for Curry...

It's like everything outside of 4-down it's too hard for Pop on these days.

Phenomanul
12-30-2017, 11:22 PM

Tony needs more catch and shoot opportunities and less pick n rolls... they don't work against the faster guards, with a mobile big...

bklynspursfan
12-30-2017, 11:23 PM
I mean this is nice to discuss, but we know Pop isn't tweaking squat.

It will take a losing streak for him to tweak someone in or out. He feels comfortable tweaking everyone but any of the top 8 rotation players.

They might start looking for an additional big.

Nah he's tweaked the SL before. I think the problem is we've had so much instability with them that if he does, it won't be soon because essentially that would be like him doing it 6-7 games into the season with Kawhi just returning, and that's just too quick of a knee jerk reaction.

I wouldn't be surprised if a wing gets dealt but I guess we'll see. Going the route of subbing Kawhi in/out earlier for now might happen, but Kawhi/LMA need to figure out how to play together at some point, Pick and Pops/Rolls, whatever. It's a simple game

dabom
12-30-2017, 11:40 PM
We judging Kawhi coming back from injury? :lol

dabom
12-30-2017, 11:41 PM
No one was saying that shit last playoffs. :lmao

YGWHI
12-30-2017, 11:52 PM
Kawhi/LMA need to figure out how to play together at some point, Pick and Pops/Rolls, whatever. It's a simple game

Kawhi/LMA have to...? That is Pop's job.

This season is LMA's 3rd year as Spur and the plays for him and Kawhi are almost the same..Nothing changed in these three years.

Now some people here want Kawhi/LMA take turns on offense/on court instead of making both players work together...

Sounds a bit crazy how Pop has been reluctant to involve these two guys in plays..

bklynspursfan
12-30-2017, 11:58 PM

This season is LMA's 3rd year as Spur and the plays for him and Kawhi are almost the same..Nothing changed in these three years.

Now some people here want Kawhi/LMA take turns on offense/on court instead of making both players work together.

Sounds a bit crazy how Pop has been reluctant to involve these two guys in plays..

It's on all parties, but Kawhi has to sometimes slow it down and look for other guys, and LMA has to be more assertive and aggressive.

We don't know what plays Pop calls, but we do see sometimes Kawhi getting a little too selfish and LMA being passive and too unselfish. It's on the players too to figure it out, they're not some rookies who have no idea what they're doing.

tholdren
12-30-2017, 11:59 PM

Now some people here want Kawhi/LMA take turns on offense/on court instead of making both players work together...

Kl is a perimeter player who cant and doesnt make others better on offense. He needs to be the motor on defense, but since his return he is engaged half the time. Could be conditioning. Spurs cant have kl be the leading scorer and expect to ring, unless he is forcing tos and rebounding well enpugh to get others involved in transition. His approach to offense is terrible this year

YGWHI
12-31-2017, 12:08 AM
We don't know what plays Pop calls

But if most P&Rs involve one player with other player it's for design.

If Pop would want these two guys play together he would call them out if they wouldn't do it.

He has designed an offense where his two main scorers plays individually...

"Give LMA the ball in the post, if he gets double-teamed then kick to the perimeter guy...Give Kawhi the ball if he can't get his shot, then kick to the perimeter guy"

I didn't see interaction on court between these two...

YGWHI
12-31-2017, 12:15 AM
Kl is a perimeter player who cant and doesnt make others better on offense. He needs to be the motor on defense.
The Spurs looked fantastic in last two regular seasons with Kawhi as focal point of the offense. But of course, he should be just a defender...Ok.

Spurs cant have kl be the leading scorer and expect to ring
You make me laugh...Who would be the leading scorer in the playoffs? LMA? Pau? Parker?..You're a funny guy.

His approach to offense is terrible this year
His approach to offense is almost same that last season. The only difference this year is he's deferring and passing more

UZER
12-31-2017, 12:20 AM
"But but my players didn't respect the rivals, didn't respect the game...This is how it looked to me after the 1st quarter..."

I wonder how the best coach in the league couldn't adjust in the other 3 quarters

Still wonder how the best coach in the world couldn't make that Parker-Manu together work in the SL...Almost the same with Kawhi-LMA now

Imagine Phil benching Kobe for Shaq or vice versa...Kerr benching KD for Curry...

It's like everything outside of 4-down it's too hard for Pop on these days.

This Pop doesn't believe in adjustments. Doesn't believe in hot hands. Doesn't believe in a player's rhythm. Doesn't believe in anything over 35 minutes for one player. Doesn't believe set rotations. Doesn't believe a rook who can't start has any business playing any significant minutes in the POs until his third year. Doesn't believe he has to answer to anyone. Doesn't answer any legitimate basketball coaching questions. Doesn't believe basketball is important, even though the fans have made him a millionaire.

YGWHI
12-31-2017, 12:26 AM
This Pop doesn't believe in adjustments. Doesn't believe in hot hands. Doesn't believe in a player's rhythm. Doesn't believe in anything over 35 minutes for one player. Doesn't believe set rotations. Doesn't believe a rook who can't start has any business playing any significant minutes in the POs until his third year. Doesn't believe he has to answer to anyone. Doesn't answer any legitimate basketball coaching questions. Doesn't believe basketball is important, even though the fans have made him a millionaire.

You're right. I know he's the best but I have to admit I don't understand his decisions.

ducks
12-31-2017, 12:36 AM
Manu running the plays from bench?

tholdren
12-31-2017, 12:39 AM
The Spurs looked fantastic in last two regular seasons with Kawhi as focal point of the offense. But of course, he should be just a defender...Ok.

You make me laugh...Who would be the leading scorer in the playoffs? LMA? Pau? Parker?..You're a funny guy.

His approach to offense is almost same that last season. The only difference this year is he's deferring and passing more

Wut. Spurs just lost to detroit. Rookie kennard destroyed leonard

YGWHI
12-31-2017, 12:45 AM
Wut. Spurs just lost to Detroit. Rookie kennard destroyed leonard

Wut...LMA and Bryn took more shots than Kawhi and scored less points....But blame just Kawhi.

Also, when you watch the game and realize Kennard wasn't Kawhi defensive assignment...

marinoman
12-31-2017, 01:12 AM
Against the small rockets and warriors start lma at center and pau off the bench, pau is too slow and doesn’t use his size on them

Darius Bieber
12-31-2017, 01:20 AM
I prefer the guys sitting on the bench be tweaked. AKA Carlisle for Pop.

cd021
12-31-2017, 05:59 AM
Wut...LMA and Bryn took more shots than Kawhi and scored less points....But blame just Kawhi.

Also, when you watch the game and realize Kennard wasn't Kawhi defensive assignment...

Leonard took fewer shots but he had 4 possessions that ended with him taking free throws and four more that ended in turnovers. Basketball Reference has Kawhi's usage rate as 32.2% while LMA was 25% and Forbes at 22%

cd021
12-31-2017, 06:01 AM
Against the small rockets and warriors start lma at center and pau off the bench, pau is too slow and doesn’t use his size on them
Pau can start against GSW but I would only play him the 1st five minutes of each half and then have him sub for LMA.

He also did an excellent job protecting the basket against Houston in the 2nd round last year. But I generally agree.

Spurtacular
12-31-2017, 06:56 AM
I think Murray should be starting over Traffic Cone and Fatty Mills at least in grind-it-out road games like tonight at Detroit. But Poop knows best.

tholdren
12-31-2017, 10:22 AM

Kl high usage scorer. Turning into kobe. Shooting, losing, crying. Kennard was 20 times what leonard was

duncan2150
12-31-2017, 10:50 AM
Imo the problem is our bench, i’m not a forbes fan and He plays too much right now, he can’t do Nothing but shoot the ball. You Also have lauvergne who is a liability on both end of the floor.

Mills is inconsistent and we need another pg Who can take care off the ball. Murray needs To play more, at least he brings something different To the table.

And you have To wait To have some chemistry between the starters, especially on offense.

r0drig0lac
12-31-2017, 11:17 AM
Tired of midget on our team we need to get rid of Forbes and Mills they suck so bad on defense.

agree

in an era where a competitive team needs to have the largest number of long and athletic players, where GSW puts a lineup with Klay / Dray / KD / Bell / Iggy at the same time, Pop continues to think undersized and one-dimensional players will do some thing in the playoffs

UZER
12-31-2017, 11:25 AM
agree

in an era where a competitive team needs to have the largest number of long and athletic players, where GSW puts a lineup with Klay / Dray / KD / Bell / Iggy at the same time, Pop continues to think undersized and one-dimensional players will do some thing in the playoffs

El-oh-el, it's just basketball.

TD 21
12-31-2017, 05:08 PM
There is no tweak that makes sense and the problems go beyond that. Their prioritizing of culture and loyalty over talent and disregard for the way the game has evolved post '14 are the issues. Instead of attempting to rectifying these issues, they waited until the bottom inevitably fell out offensively.

Hopefully now people will give the post prime Duncan and Ginobili big 3 their proper due. The way they made it work offensively wasn't because of Pop's "system", it was because of their basketball IQ, competitiveness, talent and unselfishness. The fact that Leonard and Aldridge, with one less featured player mouth to feed, still look clueless playing together in their 3rd season, is proof of that.

There really isn't any tweak that can be done with the SL at this point that can help. Moving Gasol to the bench only bogs down the offense more since they need his playmaking and adds another poor shooter in Kyle, and benching Porker puts in an even worse option since neither Mills or Murray can take care of the ball or run an offense. You could bench Kawhi but he's also the best bet for the SL to get back on track; him playing well makes the rest play well (or at least hide their poor play).

:tu

FuzzyLumpkins
12-31-2017, 05:35 PM
I'm not worried about the starting lineup. The rebounding goes to shit without PAu on it. I'm worried about those three guard lineups with Mills and Forbes in them. They suck hard at pnr defense and cannot rebound. Pulling Anderson a decent rebounder out of that unit makes it worse.

Gay hasn't played well this month so losing him is a wash. Bertans needs more time at forward.

keithington1
12-31-2017, 06:33 PM
You can't beat the Warriors in the playoffs playing small.

gambit1990
12-31-2017, 08:10 PM
yes.

https://i.imgur.com/D9Y2kH9.png

tony doesn't fit in the stating lineup with kawhi/la, doesn't fit off the bench with manu/gay/patty/kyle/murray.

deandre would pair better with la than gasol and would pair better with gasol than la.

ducks
12-31-2017, 08:18 PM
Just like you said Tony would never win a finals mvp

sasaint
12-31-2017, 08:18 PM
You can't beat the Warriors in the playoffs playing small.

Yes you can. You just gotta out-small them.

Snaq O'Meal
12-31-2017, 09:40 PM

Yes you can. You just gotta out-small them.

And this is how Poop's team will look like in 2020. Very small and very white.

https://cbskroq2.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/63.jpg

YGWHI
01-01-2018, 06:16 PM
Leonard took fewer shots but he had 4 possessions that ended with him taking free throws and four more that ended in turnovers. Basketball Reference has Kawhi's usage rate as 32.2% while LMA was 25% and Forbes at 22%

Which is exactly what I expect how USG% would be in a normal team. The best player with a higher USG% than the 2nd option and the role players with less. In this case, Bryn's usage seemed too high.

Anyway, I was thinking about why Pop doesn't call plays involving Kawhi and LMA at the same time, I guess one of the reasons could be ...if Kawhi run those P&Rs/P&Pops with LMA, Parker becomes useless in that scheme

tholdren
01-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Which is exactly what I expect how USG% would be in a normal team. The best player with a higher USG% than the 2nd option and the role players with less. In this case, Bryn's usage seemed too high.

Anyway, I was thinking about why Pop doesn't call plays involving Kawhi and LMA at the same time, I guess one of the reasons could be ...if Kawhi run those P&Rs/P&Pops with LMA, Parker becomes useless in that scheme

Because kl isnt a playmaker hes a scorer. Huge difference

cd021
01-01-2018, 08:04 PM

Sure Leonard is better than Aldridge but Aldridge has been carrying this team this season. Kawhi is coming back from injury and has stepped right back into his role of leading the team in usage despite not being the same player that he was last season yet.

I'm not sure that makes sense. Pop has been experimented with Anderson handing the ball while Parker spots up. The Kawhi-LMA pick and roll/ pops makes sense because it puts your two best players in an advantageous spot to score i.e teams can't trap Kawhi without leaving Aldridge open and they can't switch without giving up a mismatch in the post or having a big, slower, player trying to cover Leonard.

I guess the Kawhi- Gasol pick and roll/ pops does get Gasol a bunch of open 3 pt looks at the top of the arc but Aldridge is usually spotting up in the left corner without the chance of getting the ball because Leonard doesn't pass in those situations often and when he does, Gasol usually shoots it. Gasol would be a better option in the left corner because he is a better 3pt shooter.

Parker does have good chemistry with Aldridge but that doesn't explain not having Leonard and Aldridge work together more, especially with Aldridge rolling to the rim.

YGWHI
01-01-2018, 08:19 PM
Sure Leonard is better than Aldridge but Aldridge has been carrying this team this season. Kawhi is coming back from injury and has stepped right back into his role of leading the team in usage despite not being the same player that he was last season yet.
I know, but sometimes players need it. I wouldn't expect that Kawhi plays off-ball 80% of his minutes until he proves himself he can or can't be back to his good version

I'm not sure that makes sense. Pop has been experimented with Anderson handing the ball while Parker spots up. The Kawhi-LMA pick and roll/ pops makes sense because it puts your two best players in an advantageous spot to score i.e teams can't trap Kawhi without leaving Aldridge open and they can't switch without giving up a mismatch in the post or having a big, slower, player trying to cover Leonard.

I guess the Kawhi- Gasol pick and roll/ pops does get Gasol a bunch of open 3 pt looks at the top of the arc but Aldridge is usually spotting up in the left corner without the chance of getting the ball because Leonard doesn't pass in those situations often and when he does, Gasol usually shoots it. Gasol would be a better option in the left corner because he is a better 3pt shooter.

Parker does have good chemistry with Aldridge but that doesn't explain not having Leonard and Aldridge work together more, especially with Aldridge rolling to the rim.

Agree. That's what I'm expecting from Pop since the 2nd season of LMA in SA. And since I couldn't find a good answer about why he doesn't do it, I thought it could be for Parker's role

YGWHI
01-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Because kl isnt a playmaker hes a scorer. Huge difference

It's not like Kawhi never gave a bigman a good shot before. But it's fine. You think he's not able at all, I already know he can...Agree to disagree.