PDA

View Full Version : Woj: "San Antonio tried really really hard to get Irving."

SuperCam
01-04-2018, 01:40 AM

Of course they did, would have been the best move they made since drafting Kiwi.

take this moment to laugh at all the :cry det culture :cry idiots who were against it when the news kyrie wanted out went public :lol

SAGirl
01-04-2018, 01:43 AM
Good to hear they tried really hard.

I knew Murray sitting out most summer league was unusual. He needed as many reps as possible l. I thought at the time he was involved in trade talks (and tanking his value since he didn’t play well in summer league).

rasuo214
01-04-2018, 01:46 AM
Would have been nice to get him. At least they tried, wonder if it didn't work out because the Spurs didn't have what they wanted/they asked for too much/or the Spurs didn't want to trade someone they maybe should have.

NASpurs
01-04-2018, 01:48 AM
I'm happy to hear that they at least tried. The Spurs never have the assets to pull something like that off but at least the attempt was there.

He could believe the Earth was a triangle for all I care if it meant him dropping 40 on the Warriors. Oh well.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-04-2018, 01:50 AM
Would have been nice to get him. At least they tried, wonder if it didn't work out because the Spurs didn't have what they wanted/they asked for too much/or the Spurs didn't want to trade someone they maybe should have.

The only package that'd be better than Boston's would have included Kawhi, so safe to say it's the former.

Mikeanaro
01-04-2018, 01:51 AM
He is good, but will never win a title in Boston, had a fat chance in SA on the other hand.

dabom
01-04-2018, 02:35 AM
MVPorker, a bag of chips, fathead, and a first round pick.

phxspurfan
01-04-2018, 02:36 AM
D3Cp2aP1vwk

gambit1990
01-04-2018, 03:44 AM
fuck kyrie.

the spurs showing more interest in him than cp3 :lmao

rasuo214
01-04-2018, 03:50 AM
fuck kyrie.

the spurs showing more interest in him than cp3 :lmao

Because paying a dude 30+ Million a year in his mid to late 30s with an injury history and a propensity to choke in the playoffs is a great idea.

rasuo214
01-04-2018, 03:54 AM
The only package that'd be better than Boston's would have included Kawhi, so safe to say it's the former.

Well they would have needed to trade LMA for other players and it was clear no one was seriously interested in him.

gambit1990
01-04-2018, 03:58 AM
Because paying a dude 30+ Million a year in his mid to late 30s with an injury history and a propensity to choke in the playoffs is a great idea.
cp3 today > kyrie ever

kyrie couldn’t even get his team to the playoffs in the eastern conference before lebron came back.

duncan2k5
01-04-2018, 07:16 AM
cp3 today > kyrie ever

kyrie couldn’t even get his team to the playoffs in the eastern conference before lebron came back.

Wtf? Kyrie was like 21 when he was on the case by himself ������

bklynspursfan
01-04-2018, 07:41 AM
But PATFO dont ever try anything like this, and weren't interested in getting Kyrie. That's what the SpursTalk FO experts told me. Smh...

This is why I say just cause you don't hear of anything doesn't mean they weren't actively trying behind the scenes.

lefty
01-04-2018, 08:38 AM
MVPorker, a bag of chips, fathead, and a first round pick.

In what world?

dabom
01-04-2018, 08:58 AM
In what world?

The bag of chips too much?

Seventyniner
01-04-2018, 09:27 AM
I wonder if Aldridge was the breaking point? Perhaps it went like this:

Spurs: "You can have anyone on the team except Kawhi and Aldridge."
Cavs: "Nah, Aldridge has to be part of the deal."
(long, hard think by the Spurs FO)
Spurs: "It appears we cannot come to an agreement."

cd98
01-04-2018, 09:46 AM
The breaking point was that the Celtics had better assets and the Spurs were probably just given an audience to drive up the price the Cavs were asking the Celtics for. How you going to get Kyrie without giving up Kawhi or LMA?

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-04-2018, 09:46 AM
I wonder if Aldridge was the breaking point? Perhaps it went like this:

Spurs: "You can have anyone on the team except Kawhi and Aldridge."
Cavs: "Nah, Aldridge has to be part of the deal."
(long, hard think by the Spurs FO)
Spurs: "It appears we cannot come to an agreement."

I doubt it. Apparently they shopped disgruntled Aldridge for a lottery pick during the draft and couldn't find a deal. Both Thomas and Brooklyn's pick had higher trade values than an expiring Aldridge at the moment of the deal.

The best Spurs offer not including Kawhi would have been Aldridge, Murray + 2 picks, which is still worse than Boston's offer and probably worse than some other offers Cavs might have got.

SuperCam
01-04-2018, 09:51 AM
if Poop hadn't botched coaching LMA last year then he's probably enough to land Killa' Kyrie :bang

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-04-2018, 09:54 AM

Depends...what kind of chips are we taking about here?

bklynspursfan
01-04-2018, 09:55 AM
if Poop hadn't botched coaching LMA last year then he's probably enough to land Killa' Kyrie :bang

What makes you think the Cavs even wanted him? They have Love already

Ice009
01-04-2018, 10:01 AM
I'm happy to hear this. I'm OK with it if they weren't able to get him, I just wanted them to try as hard as they could to do it.

TheGreatYacht
01-04-2018, 10:06 AM
Would've instantly became the 2nd best guard in franchise history only behind MVParker. No disrespect to Belinelli

pookenstein
01-04-2018, 10:25 AM
Would've instantly became the 2nd best guard in franchise history only behind MVParker. No disrespect to Belinelli

Wow. What a clever and creative way to diss Ginobili. I'm sure that'll provoke pure rage and endless responses from Nono, DAF and all the others. Well done. You're almost on dumbombs level with the trolling. Sad.

NameLess Scrub
01-04-2018, 10:33 AM
I wish they told the Spurs offer(s).

SAGirl
01-04-2018, 10:34 AM
The breaking point was that the Celtics had better assets and the Spurs were probably just given an audience to drive up the price the Cavs were asking the Celtics for. How you going to get Kyrie without giving up Kawhi or LMA?
They probably were willing to give up Lamarcus. He was in trade rumors all summer and prior to his talk with Pop had requested a trade. No one wanted him, or at least no one wanted to surrender asssrts for him. One of the rumors involved Lamarcus and parts for Bledsoe and parts. I remember that, and a 3 team deal.

Chinook
01-04-2018, 10:40 AM
I doubt it. Apparently they shopped disgruntled Aldridge for a lottery pick during the draft and couldn't find a deal. Both Thomas and Brooklyn's pick had higher trade values than an expiring Aldridge at the moment of the deal.

The best Spurs offer not including Kawhi would have been Aldridge, Murray + 2 picks, which is still worse than Boston's offer and probably worse than some other offers Cavs might have got.

I do think it was LMA, Green, Murray and more for Kyrie and some filler. I think the Spurs would very possibly have a worse record this year had that trade gone through, but that's another post. I think LMA would be worth both the Brooklyn pick and Thomas easily right now, but even at the time of the trade, Thomas was expected to be out for a long time. He didn't have more value than Aldridge, who was already making near what he would on a new deal rather than expecting to get four times as much like IT.

I also don't think LMA wasn't moved simply because the Spurs couldn't do it. I think like with Kyrie, the Spurs were targeting a particular player in the draft and weren't able to secure that guy. In particular, they were likely trying to get Josh Jackson from Phoenix, since the Cavs seemed to want him as the basis for an Irving deal. PATFO doesn't trade players away for value. They either trade for someone or they dump the guy at all costs. If the team were looking to unload LMA last year, he'd be gone. Simply not getting a high enough pick would not have been a good enough reason to keep him.

Raven
01-04-2018, 10:45 AM
I suppose he'd have been useful, but not really a spurs player.

Russ
01-04-2018, 10:56 AM

or the Iceman . . .

Capt Bringdown
01-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Wow. What a clever and creative way to diss Ginobili. I'm sure that'll provoke pure rage and endless responses from Nono, DAF and all the others. Well done. You're almost on dumbombs level with the trolling. Sad.

George Gervin > Parker, Manu

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-04-2018, 11:23 AM
I do think it was LMA, Green, Murray and more for Kyrie and some filler. I think the Spurs would very possibly have a worse record this year had that trade gone through, but that's another post. I think LMA would be worth both the Brooklyn pick and Thomas easily right now, but even at the time of the trade, Thomas was expected to be out for a long time. He didn't have more value than Aldridge, who was already making near what he would on a new deal rather than expecting to get four times as much like IT.

I doubt the Aldridge extension or anything beyond 2018 meant much to LeBron and Rich Paul. He was disgruntled and was coming off an average season, whereas IT was both a direct replacement and an all star. IMO he had more value than Aldridge at the time even with his injury, especially to the Cavs who already had Love on a long term deal and no means to get a star PG replacement for Kyrie. In any case either of :

*Aldridge, Murray, picks for Kyrie
*Aldridge, Green, Murray, picks for Kyrie, Shumpert

were worse deals than what they got.

I agree about the worse record for this season though. The roster would have been incredibly unbalanced.

tonight...you
01-04-2018, 11:23 AM
:lol Well, if the chips in question were Funyuns... yeah, that's too much.
Funyuns are like gold in some countries.

UZER
01-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Tried really hard:

We'll give our 17 euro stashes.

DMC
01-04-2018, 01:16 PM

Probably because Irving didn't want to leave one shithole city for another where he gets his stats nerfed by Pop the Stat Nerf Bat.

pookenstein
01-04-2018, 05:33 PM
George Gervin > Parker, Manu

Before my time. Also before we in Germany had access to NBA-Basketball. I've seen highlights of the iceman, but nothing more, so I can't judge if he was better than TP/MG.

But anyway, TGY played his usual boring anti-Manu schtick, so I was referring to that.

illusioNtEk
01-04-2018, 05:48 PM
WOJ becoming a troll all of a sudden

sasaint
01-04-2018, 06:01 PM
I doubt the Aldridge extension or anything beyond 2018 meant much to LeBron and Rich Paul. He was disgruntled and was coming off an average season, whereas IT was both a direct replacement and an all star. IMO he had more value than Aldridge at the time even with his injury, especially to the Cavs who already had Love on a long term deal and no means to get a star PG replacement for Kyrie. In any case either of :

*Aldridge, Murray, picks for Kyrie
*Aldridge, Green, Murray, picks for Kyrie, Shumpert

were worse deals than what they got.

I agree about the worse record for this season though. The roster would have been incredibly unbalanced.

Agree totally. The only conceivable way the Spurs could have "tried hard" to get Kyrie would have been to recruit a third team facilitator. A direct Spurs-Cavs deal seems completely unworkable.

tholdren
01-04-2018, 06:10 PM

Better than kyrie

TD 21
01-04-2018, 06:21 PM
Should go without saying. As was discussed ad nauseam, they obviously never had the assets to do a direct trade and a 3 teamer would have been difficult too.

Unfortunately, it appears they're only willing to make a significant move if it's for a player of at least Irving's caliber, which isn't happening either in trade or free agency. Should have been in on Bledsoe and definitely should be if Walker becomes available relatively soon.

99 Problems
01-04-2018, 06:34 PM
Chance to play with Baynesy in Bostonerry or Bostononia or wherever Kyrie went was clearly too much to resist.

SAGirl
01-04-2018, 07:08 PM
Should go without saying. As was discussed ad nauseam, they obviously never had the assets to do a direct trade and a 3 teamer would have been difficult too.

Unfortunately, it appears they're only willing to make a significant move if it's for a player of at least Irving's caliber, which isn't happening either in trade or free agency. Should have been in on Bledsoe and definitely should be if Walker becomes available relatively soon.
I think you are right on this.
They seemed willing to be very aggressive only for Kyrie or CP3. They might think a lesser "star" isn't worth it and they might not be willing to part with assets for someone they aren't sure will make them truly better.

Maybe Pop overrates Tony at this point. They might try next summer again to improve the team which is why I don't expect any current Spur FA to give a discount, nor should they. Rudy only did that bc he was coming back from a tough injury...

YGWHI
01-04-2018, 09:03 PM
I wonder what means "tried hard"...Until we know the names involved or the offers -which Spurs will never reveal- it just all speculation.

cutewizard
01-04-2018, 09:59 PM

Finley says Hi.....! Lol

james evans
01-05-2018, 12:46 AM
You guys need to face it that these players toss love their stats. Nobody is willing to fuck up their stats with popovich resting bs. He took Leonard average down a while point the last few weeks of the season.

Chinook
01-05-2018, 04:56 AM
You guys need to face it that these players toss love their stats. Nobody is willing to fuck up their stats with popovich resting bs. He took Leonard average down a while point the last few weeks of the season.

No one needs to face anything. Irving wanted to go to SA, but they couldn't give Cleveland what they wanted. Complaints like yours belong on a different subject.

Ice009
01-05-2018, 08:35 AM
No one needs to face anything. Irving wanted to go to SA, but they couldn't give Cleveland what they wanted. Complaints like yours belong on a different subject.

Yep. Kyrie wanted to go to the Spurs. That was my main complaint at the time, I thought the Spurs weren't really trying, or even that interested in him even though he asked to play for the Spurs. I'm happy that they did try.

BillMc
01-05-2018, 08:39 AM
I'm surprised so many people are surprised by this. I'm fully confident RC would explore this given Irving's expressed desire to play for the Spurs. Since, it would have to have been through trade, you have to believe Kyrie. It's not like he was an FA and doing the "maybe the Spurs" thing for leverage as some do. But SA didn't have the assets Boston did. (No one has the assets they did).

Chinook
01-05-2018, 08:58 AM
I'm surprised so many people are surprised by this. I'm fully confident RC would explore this given Irving's expressed desire to play for the Spurs. Since, it would have to have been through trade, you have to believe Kyrie. It's not like he was an FA and doing the "maybe the Spurs" thing for leverage as some do. But SA didn't have the assets Boston did. (No one has the assets they did).

Philly could have done Jackson (taken at 3), Bayless and the LAL/SAC pick. In retrospect, Irving/Covington/Simmons/Saric/Embiid would have been absolutely insane.

MaNu4Tres
01-05-2018, 09:01 AM
I'm surprised so many people are surprised by this. I'm fully confident RC would explore this given Irving's expressed desire to play for the Spurs.

No kidding.

It was known Spurs were among the teams very interested in July. For those who are slow, that means Spurs were trying.

MoSpur02
01-05-2018, 09:15 AM
You guys forgot about Antonio Daniels.

tholdren
01-05-2018, 06:19 PM
You guys forgot about Antonio Daniels.

Met his cousin last week working at build a bear. I made the kyle anderson doll which was the huey duck with a larger head. I asked him who daniels thought was the best player ever. He said there was more talent that didnt make it to the nba than was in, and manu was best spur hed ever seen.

Ice009
01-06-2018, 01:25 AM
Met his cousin last week working at build a bear. I made the kyle anderson doll which was the huey duck with a larger head. I asked him who daniels thought was the best player ever. He said there was more talent that didnt make it to the nba than was in, and manu was best spur hed ever seen.

You asked AD or AD's cousin?

gambit1990
01-06-2018, 02:00 AM
ecstatic the spurs didn't get kyrie. he was a cancer on the cavs. spurs wouldn't have won with him.

it was reported the spurs didn't want cp3 because they already had an aging PG.

for the spurs to be interested in kyrie it meant they were willing to give up la and mills (because the spurs would've kept parker over him). spurs frontcourt would've been MUCH weaker. the spurs should've been willing to move Tony instead and acquire cp3.

-21-
01-06-2018, 04:55 AM
Should trade for Kemba Walker imo. The Hornets have nosedived for some reason, they are probably considering tanking and starting over. Kemba is underrated and he's improved on his weaknesses year after year. His talent is being wasted on that team.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-06-2018, 05:01 AM
Should trade for Kemba Walker imo. The Hornets have nosedived for some reason, they are probably considering tanking and starting over. Kemba is underrated and he's improved on his weaknesses year after year. His talent is being wasted on that team.

Spurs have nothing whatsoever to offer. Unless you want to trade Kawhi.