PDA

View Full Version : Last Frontcourt Tandem To Average 20 & 10 Together?

Thomas82
01-04-2018, 09:45 PM
Have there been any other frontcourt tandems to average 20 points and 10 rebounds together since the Twin Towers did it in TD's rookie season? Been looking hard and can't seem to find another one.

Spurtacular
01-04-2018, 10:02 PM
So, this is a Davis/Cousins cream your pants thread?

Spurtacular
01-04-2018, 10:08 PM
Have there been any other frontcourt tandems to average 20 points and 10 rebounds together since the Twin Towers did it in TD's rookie season?

It's a shame that it went down like that, tbh. D-Rob didn't realize he was no longer the alpha and he basically cost the Spurs a ring and an epic soiling of MJ / passing of the torch / Duncan GOAT talk, imo.

Thomas82
01-04-2018, 10:17 PM
So, this is a Davis/Cousins cream your pants thread?

No, that wasn't the intent at all. It was an honest question, and I stumbled across the answer before I saw your post.

Thomas82
01-04-2018, 10:18 PM
It's a shame that it went down like that, tbh. D-Rob didn't realize he was no longer the alpha and he basically cost the Spurs a ring and an epic soiling of MJ / passing of the torch / Duncan GOAT talk, imo.

I really believe the team was good enough to give Chicago a run for their money, if not beat them in TD's rookie season.

Spurtacular
01-04-2018, 10:29 PM
BTW, the last tandem to do it before that was Moses Malone / Charles Barkley in 85-86. And the 86 C's shat all over them though.

Spurtacular
01-04-2018, 10:36 PM
BTW, the last tandem to do it before that was Moses Malone / Charles Barkley in 85-86. And the 86 C's shat all over them though.

Also, Olajuwon / Sampson were close in 85-86, but Sampson only scored 18.9 as Olajuwon was allowed more of the low post play and Sampson was relegate to more high post play. The tandem had accomplished it in 84-85 (Olajuwon's rookie season). The 86 C's shat on them too, though.

Thomas82
01-04-2018, 10:47 PM

I just saw the Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning did it in the 1992-93 season, Zo's rookie season. Too bad they couldn't make it work.

Spurtacular
01-05-2018, 06:55 AM
I just saw the Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning did it in the 1992-93 season, Zo's rookie season. Too bad they couldn't make it work.

I must've missed that. Yea, I kind of remember that now. Yea, that team had a lot of potential to compete, especially with the loss of Reggie Lewis who was tearing them limb from limb before he collapsed.

UZER
01-05-2018, 07:29 AM

Although nowhere near his level, LJ was like DRob. After the back injury, they were never the same.

Ice009
01-05-2018, 09:38 AM
I must've missed that. Yea, I kind of remember that now. Yea, that team had a lot of potential to compete, especially with the loss of Reggie Lewis who was tearing them limb from limb before he collapsed.

Reggie Lewis? I'm pretty sure he played for Boston. What's he got to do with Charlotte?

Phenomanul
01-05-2018, 10:40 AM

Your memory is askew.

D-Rob took a backseat from the get-go, averaging a career low FGA during Duncan's rookie season and allowing him to be the focal point of the Spurs' offense. He relinquished low block sets almost exclusively to Duncan.

During the playoffs that season and despite fewer minutes, Robinson had more rebounds, blocks, assists, and steals than Duncan. Yes, Duncan was the more efficient scorer, but Robinson's production (or lack thereof) was not the reason why the Spurs lost to the Jazz that season. Defensively they forced Malone into subpar inefficiency. The Jazz, however, simply had a more complete and experienced backcourt. Statistically the Spurs' backcourt (Avery Johnson, Vinny Del Negro, and Jaren Jackson) matched the combined prowess of (John Stockton, Jeff Hornacek and Byron Russell) but in the waning moments of critical games Stockton and Hornacek made all of the big plays. Key steal by Stockton in Game 1 with less than an minute to go sealed a victory for the Jazz (handing the Spurs a one point loss). Hornacek drains a late three in Game 2 (a three point loss).

Most importantly, the Spurs were without Elliott for the entire 2nd half of the season including the playoffs. You can be sure he would've been a difference maker.

Your horrible take inexplicably takes a cheap shot at Robinson for no reason at all - other than to reminisce at the possibility of a Bulls/Spurs showdown that never was.

Spurtacular
01-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Reggie Lewis? I'm pretty sure he played for Boston. What's he got to do with Charlotte?

I mean Boston was no longer the better team after he went down.

Spurtacular
01-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Your memory is askew.

D-Rob took a backseat from the get-go, averaging a career low FGA during Duncan's rookie season and allowing him to be the focal point of the Spurs' offense. He relinquished low block sets almost exclusively to Duncan.

During the playoffs that season and despite fewer minutes, Robinson had more rebounds, blocks, assists, and steals than Duncan. Yes, Duncan was the more efficient scorer, but Robinson's production (or lack thereof) was not the reason why the Spurs lost to the Jazz that season. Defensively they forced Malone into subpar inefficiency. The Jazz, however, simply had a more complete and experienced backcourt. Statistically the Spurs' backcourt (Avery Johnson, Vinny Del Negro, and Jaren Jackson) matched the combined prowess of (John Stockton, Jeff Hornacek and Byron Russell) but in the waning moments of critical games Stockton and Hornacek made all of the big plays. Key steal by Stockton in Game 1 at San Antonio with less than an minute to go sealed a victory for the visitors (handing the Spurs a one point loss). Hornacek drains a late three in Game 2 (a three point loss).

Most importantly, the Spurs were without Elliott for the entire 2nd half of the season including the playoffs. You can be sure he would've been a difference maker.

Your horrible take inexplicably takes a cheap shot at Robinson for no reason at all - other than to reminisce at the possibility of a Bulls/Spurs showdown that never was.

Your memory is askew. Robinson shot 39.5 fg to Timmy' 49.4. Yet he insisted on playing the hero. And Game 1 wouldnt have been blown if Robinson wasn't jacking up bricks and instead deferred to the hotter Duncan.

Phenomanul
01-05-2018, 02:35 PM
Your memory is askew. Robinson shot 39.5 fg to Timmy' 49.4. Yet he insisted on playing the hero. And Game 1 wouldnt have been blown if Robinson wasn't jacking up bricks and instead deferred to the hotter Duncan.

Robinson's shots were taken in the flow of the offense. I don't recall him trying to jack up contested shots against double teams, or accruing unforced turnovers, aka the definition of "hero ball".

Look, I don't care what your particular angle is in the rehashing of this particular episode (painful as it is), but trying to fault Robinson for the series loss against the Jazz that year is utterly asinine.

Robinson didn't have his best game to open the series on the offensive end. He was still a monster defensively (16 rebounds, 4 blocks). That's the game Malone kept hacking at Robinson and Duncan trying to see how much physicality he could get away with - it's amazing he ended the game with only four fouls (but on one particular play you could tell he was trying to break Robinson's left hand/wrist which the Admiral didn't take kindly to). I think it set a wrong tone for the series and the Jazz out-muscled the Spurs with cheap shots. I also recall Antoine Carr did us dirty that year.

Thomas82
01-05-2018, 06:04 PM

Wasn't that the series where Karl Malone knocked David Robinson out cold?

daslicer
01-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Wasn't that the series where Karl Malone knocked David Robinson out cold?

That happened during the regular season before the playoffs.

Spurtacular
01-05-2018, 09:44 PM
Robinson's shots were taken in the flow of the offense. I don't recall him trying to jack up contested shots against double teams, or accruing unforced turnovers, aka the definition of "hero ball".

Look, I don't care what your particular angle is in the rehashing of this particular episode (painful as it is), but trying to fault Robinson for the series loss against the Jazz that year is utterly asinine.

Robinson didn't have his best game to open the series on the offensive end. He was still a monster defensively (16 rebounds, 4 blocks). That's the game Malone kept hacking at Robinson and Duncan trying to see how much physicality he could get away with - it's amazing he ended the game with only four fouls (but on one particular play you could tell he was trying to break Robinson's left hand/wrist which the Admiral didn't take kindly to). I think it set a wrong tone for the series and the Jazz out-muscled the Spurs with cheap shots. I also recall Antoine Carr did us dirty that year.

You need to come to terms with the fact that D-Rob trying to win in 98 as the Alpha or co-Alpha if you prefer is what cost the Spurs a 98 Finals Appearance. When I read your first post, I had to question if my twenty-year-old memory on this was accurate. Sure enough when I looked, the stats backed me up. I'm taking my memory/stats over your revisionist history. I love D-Rob; but you're basically sperm shielding for him probably out of hero worship. I accept stuff for what it is though.

Phenomanul
01-05-2018, 11:50 PM
You need to come to terms with the fact that D-Rob trying to win in 98 as the Alpha or co-Alpha if you prefer is what cost the Spurs a 98 Finals Appearance. When I read your first post, I had to question if my twenty-year-old memory on this was accurate. Sure enough when I looked, the stats backed me up. I'm taking my memory/stats over your revisionist history. I love D-Rob; but you're basically sperm shielding for him probably out of hero worship. I accept stuff for what it is though.

Looking at the stat sheet doesn’t tell you the flow of the game. But nice try in trying to suggest that it does. A game one loss on the road is not the reason for losing a series. But nice try in trying to suggest that it does.

Missing our starting small forward half of the season and throughout the playoffs didn’t help the Spurs’ cause, but good job ignoring the obvious. You apparently also want to brush off the end game heroics by Stockton and Hornacek, but somehow that’s Robinson’s fault? Again utterly asinine.

You are so damn stubborn.

Thomas82
01-06-2018, 01:34 PM
That happened during the regular season before the playoffs.

Oh that's right....thanks for the clarification!!

Spurtacular
01-06-2018, 11:36 PM
Looking at the stat sheet doesn’t tell you the flow of the game. But nice try in trying to suggest that it does. A game one loss on the road is not the reason for losing a series. But nice try in trying to suggest that it does.

Missing our starting small forward half of the season and throughout the playoffs didn’t help the Spurs’ cause, but good job ignoring the obvious. You apparently also want to brush off the end game heroics by Stockton and Hornacek, but somehow that’s Robinson’s fault? Again utterly asinine.

You are so damn stubborn.

Utah was no slouch. IMO, better than the Bulls. They just did not have their best serieses vs. them / Stern. Not debating that a healthy Elliott wouldn't have been nice, but it looked like we matched up well with Utah that year, tbh. I think D-Rob tried to win as the alpha and that was the difference. If you want to disagree, that's fine. I might have been a bit harsh on my counter rhetoric.