PDA

View Full Version : Song review: "Trouble" by Five Finger Death Punch

Fabbs
01-05-2018, 09:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGEn7pT3mK0

Fabbs
01-05-2018, 09:30 AM
I like the lead lick at the start of the song and repeated a couple more times thru out. Solo is pretty good too.
Heard he was on Hired Guns.

Vocals when they combine are almost exactly like Disturbed.

All in all, good song. Well done.

SpursforSix
01-05-2018, 10:41 AM
I like the lead lick at the start of the song and repeated a couple more times thru out. Solo is pretty good too.
Heard he was on Hired Guns.

Vocals when they combine are almost exactly like Disturbed.

All in all, good song. Well done.

I'm not a fan of this genre.

But you should check out a Netflix documentary called "Hired Gun". A documentary about session musicians. It's pretty good. Talks about some successes and failures of session guys.
I mention it to you because it has several interviews with Jason Hook and what he went through to make it into a band.

Kyle Orton
01-05-2018, 11:26 AM
Gay band. Their singer had an emo fit at a music fest a couple years ago and quit about 3 songs in.

Avante
01-05-2018, 03:46 PM
Like a lot of music we have what will endure and what won't. There we have...for the moment...music which is fine. But, it's to be out grown and totally forgotten as you evolve into a higher plain of musical interests, understandings. The manic sound, does have it's place however.

Big Empty
01-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Unfortunately rock as we know it is dead. With kids these days more into computers and hip hop no one jams in the garage with instruments anymore. There are no Metallica and Guns& Roses for kids to look up to like in the 80's or Pearl Jam or Nirvana influences for kids like in the 90's.

Avante
01-05-2018, 05:29 PM
I have a tape mix of actual sermons in black churchs*** where the choir gets involved, that is mixed in with legendary blues legends Son House, Charlie Patton, Bukka White, Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Willie Johnson, Josh White singing gospel. In a word.....riveting. Outerworldly would also fit.

Once you out grow the moment music you start to see the world of music, very very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hucTDV1Fvo

***I'm not really into religious music. Those old recordings are more about the passion involved. Yep, the real deal.

Eric Clapton has called Blind Willie Johnson the greatest slide guitarist ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mWNzTcc8Dg

Yes I own hip hop, rap, heavy metal, etc, it just seems so weak compared to that old stuff where $$$$$$ isn't the motivating force behind it. No worries about a target audience.

Hmmmm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyUwEAVEJJ4

Who are they trying to reach?

leemajors
01-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Unfortunately rock as we know it is dead. With kids these days more into computers and hip hop no one jams in the garage with instruments anymore. There are no Metallica and Guns& Roses for kids to look up to like in the 80's or Pearl Jam or Nirvana influences for kids like in the 90's.

You're old, how would you know?

Spurtacular
01-05-2018, 09:54 PM
I'll admit my bias that I'm not a speed metal fan; but isn't this just like any other sh** to be honest?

elege
01-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Music is fluid.
There was blues. (Obviously not the beginning of music but we'll start here)
Rock came along taking elements of blues.
Rock tried to hold on by incorporating rap.
Rap is now trying to hold on by incorporating electronic music.

Music is always changing. If you want the same thing as when you were a kid, you'll always be disappointed. It's like the creep who likes high school girls because as he gets older they stay the same age.

Avante
01-07-2018, 01:56 PM
Music is fluid.
There was blues. (Obviously not the beginning of music but we'll start here)
Rock came along taking elements of blues.
Rock tried to hold on by incorporating rap.
Rap is now trying to hold on by incorporating electronic music.

Music is always changing. If you want the same thing as when you were a kid, you'll always be disappointed. It's like the creep who likes high school girls because as he gets older they stay the same age.

The first recorded blues was in 1920 with "Crazy Blues" by Mamie Smith. And the first blues on records were ladies being backed by mostly jazz bands. The first "country blues" was in 1924 when the men began to record, Ed Andrews, Papa Charley Jackson, Daddy Stovepipe all recorded in 1924. Here is where it all started, the early 20's (as far as recordings go) White artists The Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers, Gene Autry, all paid homage to being black influensed musically. The great Hank Williams learned guitar from a black neighbor, his "Lovesick Blues" a cover of Blackface performer Emmett Miller. The first record Elvis recorded was a cover of black bluesman Big Boy Crudup. And so it went. Bob Wills "The King" recorded a ton of blues covers.

Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, made a huge impact on the beginnings of rock and roll. Black Jackie Brenson's "Rocket 88" widely considered the first rock and roll record, it can be debated. Brenson also recored at Sun Records (Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins)

Janis Joplin a huge fan of blues legend Bessie Smith, Jimi Hendrix a Guitar Slim fan, the Stones Brian Jones idolized slide guitar wiz Elmore James, (Their name Rolling Stones an old Muddy Waters tune) Bob Dylan coverEd tunes by black blues cats Blind Lemon Jefferson (first male star of them blues) Bukka White on his debut album. Dylan a huge Blind Willie McTell fan (The Allman Bros coverring McTells's classic "Statesboro Blues". Led Zeppelin's "Levee Breaks" a cover of a Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe McCoy classic)

And so it went.

Unless we see some passion involed in the sound it's just noise. Give me an old blind, poor, black man in 1928ish hunched over an old beat up acoustic gee-tar moaning his....my baby up and left me, walked out my doe, now I weep and moan, I can't take any....mo.

When it's just "see if this sells".....nay!

Listen to those black 50's vocal groups like The Flamingos, The Orioles, The Platters, The Coasters, The Drifters, The Five Satins, then play some rap, the difference simply in talent is dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otNICva63mQ

elege
01-07-2018, 09:36 PM
There's plenty of passion in different types of music. The stuff we hear on tv and in business offices are just bastardized pop derivatives of "purer" music forms. Some artists are still making good rap. Some are still making good blues, etc. You've just got to look for it (Internet is a great resource). Lots of passion even in electronic music. It just gets looked down on because it's not "made by hand." Like some dudes build a house by hand, which is obviously impressive, but skyscrapers can be pretty impressive, too. These dudes are still composing fantastic non-pop stuff. Amazing progressive compositions that are nothing like the terrible Americanized version of electronic music/dubstep that we've been subjected to. Like I said, you have to look for the good stuff.

Clipper Nation
01-07-2018, 10:20 PM

Plenty of rock music is still being made. The real problem with rock is that everything's been done to death already over the last 50+ years. Compare that to a vibrant genre like hip-hop that still has tons of unexplored potential, which means there's always room for new artists and new scenes to emerge.

Avante
01-08-2018, 12:47 AM
There's plenty of passion in different types of music. The stuff we hear on tv and in business offices are just bastardized pop derivatives of "purer" music forms. Some artists are still making good rap. Some are still making good blues, etc. You've just got to look for it (Internet is a great resource). Lots of passion even in electronic music. It just gets looked down on because it's not "made by hand." Like some dudes build a house by hand, which is obviously impressive, but skyscrapers can be pretty impressive, too. These dudes are still composing fantastic non-pop stuff. Amazing progressive compositions that are nothing like the terrible Americanized version of electronic music/dubstep that we've been subjected to. Like I said, you have to look for the good stuff.

I own books on music, this is how ya know the influenses behind what we hear today and it really does all end up way back when. I own all that old stuff, I have all of it, something by everyone. How ya going to know about Alabama blues unless you've read about it and know who to listen to? Same with Appalachian hick music, Western Swing, Soul, Funk, Gospel, etc. Ya have to know who was important in the story.

There is nothing...important.... in music tailor made for a particular target audience. Now it's just about the $$$$$$. I own rap, hip hop, and some of it's ok, but ya can tell it's trying to zero in on young black kids.

This is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clqHpkOY-_Y

Avante
01-08-2018, 02:29 PM
I own some African tribal music, yep, recorded right there in the village, in a word....riveting. I also own some convict musc, yep, right there on the chain gang. The real deal. Gospel music recorded right there during the sermon, talking 20's and 30's. Totally amazing listen.

Bob Wills, Hank Williams, Elvis, Patsy Cline, Jimmie Rodgers, The Carter Family. Frank Sinatra, The Ink Spots, The Beatles, Bob Marley, Bessie Smith, Louis Armstrong, Bob Dylan, Bill Monroe, Cab Calloway, The Mills Bros, Chuck Berry, Woody Guthrie, Robert Johnson, BB King, Muddy Waters, The Rolling Stones.....all of them very important, can't talk the music "world" without them. All this stuff just thrown out there with no real substance....nay!

You're having a party, yep... play what thumps, who cares about important. Just shake that booty. But......when alone....