PDA

View Full Version : Year of Bad Fortune

MaNu4Tres
01-07-2018, 12:53 AM
The injuries won't stop.

I can't see this team being 100% healthy, confident, and playing on top of their games once the playoffs roll around.

Kawhi seems a long way away from the Kawhi we saw last year. Yes, he's had good games, but he still doesn't look like the player we saw last year. Not close.

Danny has been hurt for the last 5-7 weeks.

Tony has regressed and is invisible 3 out of 4 games.

Rudy Gay has been limping and sluggish the past 2 months and his body finally decided he needed a real break.

Lauvergne is playing through 3 injuries.

There's so many players that seem far away from being 90-100% physically and mentally.

Just a crazy year of bad fortune. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel until the summer.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-07-2018, 12:59 AM
Bad coaching and a horrendous free agency doesn't help matters much either.

MaNu4Tres
01-07-2018, 01:05 AM
Bad coaching and a horrendous free agency doesn't help matters much either.

Yeah last summer was pretty terrible to put it nicely.

Spurs will have to make a shift next summer if they want to have a chance to win big in the Kawhi era.

Get rid of Tony or Patty and upgrade the position.

If an upgrade can't happen, then really consider going the wings with size route at the 1 to 4 position ( still get rid of TP or Patty) -- move Kawhi to point forward like Giannis is at times (if he's right by next July).

Draft a defensive mobile big like Jordan Bell.

SAGirl
01-07-2018, 01:07 AM
Unfortunately I feel the same... I can't quite grasp how good they really are (or aren't... whichever way it goes), when they have had so many injuries like this.

It's just unfortunate. It's difficult to even get behind Pop's injury management when even the guys he isn't resting get hurt like Danny and Rudy, who played through injuries until their bodies compelled Pop to really sit them down.

The young players have picked up more playing time and that is good for their individual development and careers but one can't get a grasp for this team really that way. And they aren't the team from 2014, which also played a whole lot of guys and lineups all season. That team still had a very good veteran core used to play with each other anyways, and good contingent of young guys.

This team has relied a lot on Kyle and Bryn, now on Davis. The young guys have played more than anyone would have thought. I remember in Dec. 2014 Manu got run down and was never the same again that season. I hope that doesn't happen to Manu.

I don't have a good feeling about this season either. I don't know if they will ever be fully healthy and jiving bc at some point some of the other old players can break down too.

SAGirl
01-07-2018, 01:10 AM
How's this for Patty... I was going to make a thread asking feedback about this, but it might just as well go here.

MaNu4Tres
01-07-2018, 01:17 AM
How's this for Patty... I was going to make a thread asking feedback about this, but it might just as well go here.

It's no different than what his role was last season. imo.

Pop will always say the right things to support his players.

SAGirl
01-07-2018, 01:25 AM
It's no different than what his role was last season. imo.

Pop will always say the right things to support his players.
I am not sure if you read the entire article... there is some on Dejounte there too. How he has started some games, others he doesn't play, others he's played partial. Dejounte himself said it's frustrating for him. Pop said: "he's been a real pro." Mills said how it's different depending on who he's playing with. I get the sense with the starters he has to distribute more (to the best of his ability, we know that is not his forte), in the bench his focus is scoring...

The article focuses on the two of them. I wonder how tough it is also for Kyle. He's played a bunch of positions and lineups too. I wanted to get a grasp for him playing in the bench but there have been too little reps to really know. He's done well with the starters and depending on who he's playing with, he defers or takes on some of the scoring load.

It's tougher for guys like him and Dejounte who have to adapt to whomever, and basically float around in lineups. The article doesn't say it but Dejounte has played as a wing as well just out of necessity.

TD 21
01-07-2018, 01:34 AM
Does seem like injuries will derail the season, but they do still have nearly 100 days until the playoffs to get right. We've seen a bunch of dominant regular seasons where they fell apart down the stretch; hopefully we're seeing the opposite this time.

Think Parker gets lost in the shuffle when they're healthy. He's never really had to play off of a ball dominant perimeter player or two ball dominant players simultaneously. He's got to become a volume 3-point shooter. Far too often, he's either not spacing to 3 or stepping in and taking 20 footers.

Leonard can't play point forward and there's no help at PG on the horizon barring significant progress offensively from Murray by next season.

MaNu4Tres
01-07-2018, 01:35 AM
I am not sure if you read the entire article... there is some on Dejounte there too. How he has started some games, others he doesn't play, others he's played partial. Dejounte himself said it's frustrating for him. Pop said: "he's been a real pro." Mills said how it's different depending on who he's playing with. I get the sense with the starters he has to distribute more (to the best of his ability, we know that is not his forte), in the bench his focus is scoring...

The article focuses on the two of them. I wonder how tough it is also for Kyle. He's played a bunch of positions and lineups too. I wanted to get a grasp for him playing in the bench but there have been too little reps to really know. He's done well with the starters and depending on who he's playing with, he defers or takes on some of the scoring load.

It's tougher for guys like him and Dejounte who have to adapt to whomever, and basically float around in lineups. The article doesn't say it but Dejounte has played as a wing as well just out of necessity.

I did read it. I dont find it too interesting. Wings and PGs have the same responsibilities on the Spurs in the halfcourt offense ( PnR play, off ball play -- they all play in all the perimeter spots in the offense as the spots are interchangeable). They all are responsible for reading situations on the floor when they get the ball. The only thing a PG does different is bring the ball up the court against a set defense. Positions are overrated.

Mills has been inconsistent for years now. And even when he plays the two at times, he still is guarding smaller players or other point guards when they go small ( it's the same thing). Except when Pop puts him on Rodney Hood..that was not Pattys fault..that was Pops.

Really good wing players will perform well and be consistent regardless of the labeled wing position ( basketball is basketball).

Meh wing players will remain inconsistent regardless of the wing labeled position they play.

LakerHater
01-07-2018, 01:51 AM
So Harden has a hamsrting strain & is out 2 weeks, how long is Kawhi out?

When did Kawhi get injured & How?

Play Boban
01-07-2018, 02:00 AM
The injuries won't stop.

I can't see this team being 100% healthy, confident, and playing on top of their games once the playoffs roll around.

Kawhi seems a long way away from the Kawhi we saw last year. Yes, he's had good games, but he still doesn't look like the player we saw last year. Not close.

Rudy Gay has been limping and sluggish the past 2 months and his body finally decided he needed a real break.

There's so many players that seem far away from being 90-100% physically and mentally.

Just a crazy year of bad fortune. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel until the summer.
:cry

phxspurfan
01-07-2018, 02:32 AM
Meh wing players will remain inconsistent regardless of the wing labeled position they play.

Good point. Kind of like how guys like Isiah Thomas can still be good, especially in Today's NBA where scoring is basically all that matters in most games.

What's really sad is that scoring guards are the easiest to find (it is basketball after all), and the Spurs went super heavy on guards this year, yet still rely on Manu and Tony for everything out of the guard position. So much dead weight on this roster in terms of scoring.

Also look at it this way. The Dubs basically just got a 33 year old Swaggy P this summer, and look how awesome he's been. 33 year old Swaggy P. I hate how PATFO over thinks simple things in the draft/free agency sometimes.

itzsoweezee
01-07-2018, 02:42 AM
Any info on Kawhi's shoulder injury? Michael wright was saying it's serious.

LakerHater
01-07-2018, 02:48 AM
Any info on Kawhi's shoulder injury? Michael wright was saying it's serious.

itzsoweezee
01-07-2018, 02:52 AM

Wow, that's a relief

pookenstein
01-07-2018, 08:36 AM

Is there a timetable when he will go through the "Wiping his ass on his own"-tests yet?

TMTTRIO
01-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Hearing Manu talk about how close he was to retirement this past summer, I wonder if he regrets it now.

bklynspursfan
01-07-2018, 10:05 AM
Does seem like injuries will derail the season, but they do still have nearly 100 days until the playoffs to get right. We've seen a bunch of dominant regular seasons where they fell apart down the stretch; hopefully we're seeing the opposite this time.

Think Parker gets lost in the shuffle when they're healthy. He's never really had to play off of a ball dominant perimeter player or two ball dominant players simultaneously. He's got to become a volume 3-point shooter. Far too often, he's either not spacing to 3 or stepping in and taking 20 footers.

Leonard can't play point forward and there's no help at PG on the horizon barring significant progress offensively from Murray by next season.

Agreed. And TP still does a good job of setting other guys up. Last game with no LMA, I did notice Kawhi take on a lot of the ball handling duties. When LMA is in there, he's the beneficiary of TP's playmaking. I do hope he gets that corner 3 going again.

At the end of the day , despite everything, we still are 2 games back of the 2 seed despite the Rockettes starting red hot. I'm optimistic they can get on track cause there's still so much time left. Gay injury is probably good just to get him some rest, so as long as it doesn't linger, hopefully he comes back refreshed

K...
01-07-2018, 10:24 AM
uh what we are seeing is the long tail between the loss of the big three and the rise of the next gen. Right now you have no idea who is going to be on the roster 3 years out...kawhi and lma are good but not dominant enough to win in the current scheme. They are good, but not against all teams. the theme is slow it down and we've almost got that, but this team lacks depth in offensive talent. We don't have the tools to adapt to other styles like we did in the past. No explosive bench either. Those great passing bigs are gone and Manu is three steps slower.

Its just really amazing how much additional coaching and personal stress is caused by missing one T. Duncan.

TheGreatYacht
01-07-2018, 11:14 AM
In b4 we max out our washed 30yr old injury-prone replaceable SG

YGWHI
01-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Leonard can't play point forward
I guess he improved a lot in last playoffs and this season, he could be good in that role after all.

But I'd love to see an upgrade at PG because I wouldn't ask one player to be the leading scorer, best defender and also the top playmaker in playoffs...It's just insane.

However, no one team wanted to work with the Spurs in trades this season, Parker will get a new deal next offseason...

YGWHI
01-07-2018, 06:07 PM
The injuries won't stop.

Agree. Because an early-easy schedule the Spurs are still top 3 in the West while dealing with many injuries.

That's one of the reasons why this season doesn't look like 2015 yet...

MaNu4Tres
01-07-2018, 06:19 PM
I guess he improved a lot in last playoffs and this season, he could be good in that role after all.

But I'd love to see an upgrade at PG because I wouldn't ask one player to be the leading scorer, best defender and also the top playmaker in playoffs...It's just insane.

However, no one team wanted to work with the Spurs in trades this season, Parker will get a new deal next offseason...

Spurs don't need an upgrade at PG, they just need another playmaker on the perimeter that can shoot -- whether if its at SF, SG or PG. Preferably one that can defend to some degree. Positions on the wing, don't really matter anymore.

Keepin' it real
01-07-2018, 06:20 PM
Nothing to do with fortune. This is karma for all the "resting" bullshit. Just play your stars 40 minutes a night so they can earn their paychecks and fans can get what they paid for.

SAGirl
01-07-2018, 06:28 PM
You know who has played 41 minutes in games recently? Bryn Forbes...

TD 21
01-07-2018, 06:34 PM

He's still below average and can't be a primary play maker. He can't even run a simple p-n-p, let alone make more advanced reads. Most of his passes out of the p-n-r are late reactions or last resorts. He almost never manipulates the defense. Watch how often he misses Aldridge or Gasol wide open after they pop or someone wide open spotting up for 3 in the corner and watch their reaction. Gasol, especially last season, often couldn't or wouldn't hide his displeasure.

Guys like Aldridge and Gay make the occasional correct read / nice pass too, it doesn't make them play makers either.

YGWHI
01-07-2018, 06:51 PM
He's still below average and can't be a primary play maker. [i]He can't even run a simple p-n-p[/b], let alone make more advanced reads. Most of his passes out of the p-n-r are late reactions or last resorts. He almost never manipulates the defense.
Kawhi was leading the league almost whole last season as ballhander in P&Rs situations.

Also, it seems you didn't watch his last two games and the perfect P&Rs he was running...But it's fine

Watch how often he misses Aldridge or Gasol wide open after they pop or someone wide open spotting up for 3 in the corner and watch their reaction. Gasol, especially last season, often couldn't or wouldn't hide his displeasure.
I doubt he missed them.

Kawhi was a scoring machine last season while LMA and Pau were two shits on the offensive end. I guess he took the shot instead of passing because of his lack of trust in Spurs bigs.

Since LMA seems alive this time, we'll see how this works in April

TD 21
01-07-2018, 06:57 PM
Kawhi was leading the league almost whole last season as ballhander in P&Rs situations.

Also, it seems you didn't watch his last two games and the perfect P&Rs he was running...But it's fine

I doubt he missed them.

Kawhi was a scoring machine last season while LMA and Pau were two shits on the offensive end. I guess he took the shot instead of passing because of his lack of trust in Spurs bigs.

Since LMA seems alive this time, we'll see how this works in April

Maybe as a scorer. His assist percentage was in the high teens, while other elites were in the 40s.

If he doesn't miss them, then he's just flat out selfish, which is even worse. Gasol was I believe the 2nd best spot up 3-point shooter by percentage last season and Aldridge, despite his down season, was and is a proven shooter too. No matter how hard you try, there's no excuse for not making the right play.

YGWHI
01-07-2018, 06:59 PM
Spurs don't need an upgrade at PG, they just need another playmaker on the perimeter that can shoot -- whether if its at SF, SG or PG. Preferably one that can defend to some degree. Positions on the wing, don't really matter anymore.

I'd rather see an upgrade at the PG position. It's not easy to compete against elite, explosive guards with Parker and Mills. I love both players, I'd hate to lose them, but I realize the team needs to make a move. A move that the Spurs wil never do...

YGWHI
01-07-2018, 07:07 PM
Maybe as a scorer. His assist percentage was in the high teens, while other elites were in the 40s. If he doesn't miss them, then he's just flat out selfish, which is even worse . Gasol was I believe the 2nd best spot up 3-point shooter by percentage last season and Aldridge, despite his down season, was and is a proven shooter too. No matter how hard you try, there's no excuse for not making the right play.

I never said the lack of trust in teammates is a good thing. I didn't excuse him. I said it was a reason why...

Selfish? IDK. Since he was more efficient he could think the play he made was the right play, the high % shot.

Parker has been the Spurs SL playmaker in the last three years and he has missed open Kawhi at the 3-point line many times. Is he selfish for trying to drive to the hoop looking for his own shot instead of kicking to an open guy? Who knows

MaNu4Tres
01-07-2018, 08:29 PM
I'd rather see an upgrade at the PG position. It's not easy to compete against elite, explosive guards with Parker and Mills....

There's hardly any really good defensive PGs in the league in general to compete with the elite PGs (Beverly might be the only one). And the ones who have incredible gravity on offense to "compete against the elite" offensively are untouchable.

Spurs best bet is to go with length at the wing (for defensive purposes), and find another play-maker at the wing (regardless of the wing position he plays). Continue to work on Murray and White and hope one of them becomes THE guy. That's a more realistic approach.

ducks
01-07-2018, 08:44 PM
The injuries won't stop.

Just a crazy year of bad fortune. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel until the summer.atleast trump is president

ducks
01-07-2018, 08:45 PM
There's hardly any really good defensive PGs in the league in general to compete with the elite PGs (Beverly might be the only one). And the ones who have incredible gravity on offense to "compete against the elite" offensively are untouchable.

Spurs best bet is to go with length at the wing (for defensive purposes), and find another play-maker at the wing (regardless of the wing position he plays). Continue to work on Murray and White and hope one of them becomes THE guy. That's a more realistic approach. spurs are second in d in nba with lots of no klaw or green
Could you imagine if mills could play d like Murray

tholdren
01-07-2018, 08:47 PM

It really goes to show how untalented these bozos are playing the 1. I bet your moms internet i could avg 10 apg playing 30 mpg at the 1 with any lineup. These guys suck tbh.

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-07-2018, 10:13 PM
Kawhi missing training camp, pre-season, and 20+ games really fucked him up this season. Don't get me wrong, he can still easily put up 20+ points and several assists, rebounds, and blocks a night, but he's lacking the MVP figure from last season. I have no doubt next season, or late into this season, he'll be back in prime form. However, at this point, I think it's likely to assume this season is done. This season has been really fucking hard to watch.

LakerHater
01-07-2018, 10:34 PM
Goddammit Jounte