PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about resting

UZER
01-08-2018, 11:06 AM
Timmy was the exception. Manu is that now. It shouldn't be the norm, especially for guys under 35. This resting thing has taken on a ridiculous life of its own.

The season is longer, less back to backs, the game is way less physical the guys fly on team first class planes, yet Pop is resting guys more than ever.

As much as LeBron is a diva, the dude plays game after game. He's been in 6 straight finals, and numerous deep playoff runs. Sure he'll take a random game off, but most times he's on the court. Maybe he's built up such a galvanized stamina to avoid nagging, not freak, injuries because his body is just used to the grind.

What about responsibility to sponsors and fans? Should that be take into consideration? Fans pay the salaries. Sponsors, primarily the local ones put up lots of money too to run ads during regular season games that Pop is now consistently resting half the team. He's turning the regular season into a farce.

What do yall think?

SAGirl
01-08-2018, 11:30 AM
I do think only Manu and Tony deserve rest games. 40 and 35 or 36, plus Tony’s body has been falling apart, ( an issue the front office has to discuss with him when he wants another contract this summer).
Lamarcus has only rested a couple of games this season and otherwise has been a workhorse.
Pau has only rested a couple of games too.
Mills has played every game.
Danny is legit injured (not rested) and he tried to play through the groin injury after taking one or 2 games off. It was clear he needed more.
Rudy was coming back from a career ending injury. He was a risky signing the FO was able to assume to add talent. He had been in the injury list with ankles and back pains (listed as probable or questionable) but he played through some nags until his ankle forced him to sit due to inflammation.
Joff has been injured.
Kyle has been injured.
Early in the season Davis has a finger wrapped and he’s a shooter who was very off so he has to sit.
Derrick White fractured a wrist in the gleague.

It’s just been the year of bad fortune with injuries.

Then Kawhi’s injuries have taken a life of their own. He’s only played 8 games total and we are halfway through the season. Half of those games or more he was in minutes restrictions.

I am not in favor of needless resting but if guys are injured... what are you going to do?

bklynspursfan
01-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Timmy was the exception. Manu is that now. It shouldn't be the norm, especially for guys under 35. This resting thing has taken on a ridiculous life of its own.

The season is longer, less back to backs, the game is way less physical the guys fly on team first class planes, yet Pop is resting guys more than ever.

As much as LeBron is a diva, the dude plays game after game. He's been in 6 straight finals, and numerous deep playoff runs. Sure he'll take a random game off, but most times he's on the court. Maybe he's built up such a galvanized stamina to avoid nagging, not freak, injuries because his body is just used to the grind.

What about responsibility to sponsors and fans? Should that be take into consideration? Fans pay the salaries. Sponsors, primarily the local ones put up lots of money too to run ads during regular season games that Pop is now consistently resting half the team. He's turning the regular season into a farce.

What do yall think?

Is Pop really resting guys more than ever this year? It seems like it's just injuries hitting us this year, and if anything he's resting far less than previous seasons.

And Lebron fwiw has said he wants more rest and thinks it's beneficial. (He's given himself off several games for rest)

Ice009
01-08-2018, 11:52 AM
Lebron, I would assume has played more minutes or close to it than anyone else in the past 6 seasons combined. If he wants a few rest games, then he can have a few rest games. He's got a legit case for himself. Not many other players do, though.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-08-2018, 11:55 AM

Before this season LeBron was 4th in games missed due to rest after Duncan, Manu and Garnett. Bad example.

Rest is beneficial, it's no coincidence all teams are going this route, as well as reducing the players minutes per game, compared to the past.

boutons_deux
01-08-2018, 12:07 PM
Injuries have been a real drag on the season.

but much of Pop's resting has not been of injured players.

He's resting too many, too much. Is this some kind of self-defeating protest against NBA scheduling?

I'll never forget in Game 7 vs Miami, Pop started 4th qtr with Tim (resting?) on the bench?

wasn't the entire season-long resting strategy to have Tim, etc rested and ready to play for the Championship? WTF?

UZER
01-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Before this season LeBron was 4th in games missed due to rest after Duncan, Manu and Garnett. Bad example.

Rest is beneficial, it's no coincidence all teams are going this route, as well as reducing the players minutes per game, compared to the past.

LeBron also plays more minutes per game than these guys, and that goes up in the playoffs. And like I've said, he's been to 6 straight NBA finals. I actually understand doing it. The dude is a workhorse.

Pop has just gotten into this habit now of even resting young guys and bench players. Its like he's fallen in love with this pet he created and keeps feeding it more and more.

bklynspursfan
01-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Injuries have been a real drag on the season.

but much of Pop's resting has not been of injured players.

He's resting too many, too much. Is this some kind of self-defeating protest against NBA scheduling?

I'll never forget in Game 7 vs Miami, Pop started 4th qtr with Tim (resting?) on the bench?

wasn't the entire season-long resting strategy to have Tim, etc rested and ready to play for the Championship? WTF?

Examples? Cause I have seen guys not getting rested much this year due to injuries. Aside from Manu who isn't playing b2b's (he's played 34/41). TP/Kawhi are on injury management. Patty has played all 41 games, Brynn has played all 41, Murray has played all 41, Pau/LMA have played 39/41, and Green/Anderson who have both been injured have played 32/33 games respectively.

8FOR!3
01-08-2018, 12:19 PM
As far as LeBron goes he's the exception not the rule. Pop's definitely been resting a lot of non injured guys a lot this year, seems like more than normal. I don't have a problem with this as long as we win games and guys start playing more down the stretch and peak at the right time.

bklynspursfan
01-08-2018, 12:21 PM
As far as LeBron goes he's the exception not the rule. Pop's definitely been resting a lot of non injured guys a lot this year, seems like more than normal. I don't have a problem with this as long as we win games and guys start playing more down the stretch and peak at the right time.

See my post above yours. How has he been resting a lot of non injured guys this year? Am I missing something?

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-08-2018, 12:23 PM
LeBron also plays more minutes per game than these guys, and that goes up in the playoffs.

True, minutes and miles add up. There's a separate discussion about the effect of less minutes per game compared to missing full games. In any case LeBron has consistently missed about 5-10 games each season for various reasons. Don't think he's ever had a season where he's played in every single game.

The most important thing is that the players are available and at their best during the playoffs. Regular season is a chore and most games aren't significant in any way.

Prose
01-08-2018, 12:45 PM

yea...thats exactly how kobe until.....all of a sudden body can't take it and snap, there goes his achilles and career, he could still be playing if he was managed under pop, think about it he is younger than manu and manu just dropped near 50 in the past two games combined. Oh i guess that resting seems to be working for manu

tholdren
01-08-2018, 12:51 PM

Resting is untested, not proven to do anything. Not proven to prevent anything. Why do you think rest is necessary? Basketball is currently a soft, low contact sport. You believe it because it is the new hype, not because its proven

ElNono
01-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately, this is Poop on this right now:

https://i.imgflip.com/225dsg.jpg

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Resting is untested, not proven to do anything. Not proven to prevent anything. Why do you think rest is necessary? Basketball is currently a soft, low contact sport. You believe it because it is the new hype, not because its proven

Resting, as in real rest - massages, good sleep, recovery, etc. are proven to increase performance of athletes. Rest when spending the night in a club does nothing, of course.

As for teams, it's easy to statistically prove that teams on at least a day rest perform better. Also you can easily look through the rest splits of Spurs players for this season and conclude that they perform better on at least a day of rest.

r0drig0lac
01-08-2018, 01:06 PM
I am not in favor of needless resting but if guys are injured... what are you going to do?

this

Proxy
01-08-2018, 01:06 PM
can we get a transcript of this thread and send it to Pop? better hurry so we can save the season

bklynspursfan
01-08-2018, 01:45 PM

Some good nuggets here that offer different views than what you're saying.

But is there actually an articulated science doctrine on resting athletes? Without turning to a learned treatise, here are a few articles that sum up the theories:

-In 2013, Laura Hambelton of the Washington Post wrote an article detailing professional sports team trainers and their goals and concerns. Proper rest was a huge part of their concern. Washington Capitals trainer Greg Smith explained that (https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/pro-athletes-recover-faster-than-amateurs-partly-because-they-get-superior-medical-care/2013/11/11/9da3385c-d291-11e2-8cbe-1bcbee06f8f8_story.html?utm_term=.eebbaa4e8446): “You can’t make [athletes] tired. They have to have proper rest. They sleep eight to 10 hours a day. The better rest [a pro athlete gets], the better they recover.”

-In 2014, Cork Gaines of Business Insider wrote an article (http://www.businessinsider.com/spurs-resting-stars-playoffs-2014-11) detailing how Poppovich started to rest his players more over the years. Gaines wrote that in 2010-11, Pop would rest one of his stars every now and then late in the year. By 2012-13, however, Pop would started resting even early in the season and sitting the stars in groups. The pattern also showed that: “The move always happens on the road against a good team and on days when the Spurs had a game the night before.”

-In a 2016 article for the Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/04/rest-days_n_5085261.html), Daniel Duane found that resting was a vital component of the training process in the context of marathon trainers. Duane wrote that working out must be balanced with time off: “exercise physiologists have identified potential markers of the cumulative fatigue caused by long-term training -– spikes in enzymes, for example, associated with inflammation and muscle damage. Jump back into working out too soon, before you shed all that built-up fatigue, and you virtually guarantee substandard performance later.”

More- http://hoopsanalyst.com/?p=1674

marinoman
01-08-2018, 02:35 PM
The regular season isn’t important
You can’t get hurt in games you don’t play
if manu would’ve rested in more regular season games in the middle of his career maybe he wouldn’t have been injured or hurt so many playoffs. Like 4 or 5 seasons.

keep resting

KDKSpurs24
01-08-2018, 03:35 PM
The regular season isn’t important
You can’t get hurt in games you don’t play
if manu would’ve rested in more regular season games in the middle of his career maybe he wouldn’t have been injured or hurt so many playoffs. Like 4 or 5 seasons.

keep resting
I hate hearing this right here. It’s the statement of spoiled fans. There are hella teams that have to struggle to win games in the regular season just to make the playoffs. We just haven’t had to deal with that for a long time. By that time will come one day. And you won’t be saying that (that’s if you don’t hop off the bandwagon when you can’t take the losses). And how in the hell do you expect to get good seeding? People want to say just get in regardless of seeding but when has that really ever helped someone? Most teams that win have high seeds and homecourt advantage throughout.

Killakobe81
01-08-2018, 03:47 PM
What has the rest cost the Spurs possible 3rd instead of the 2nd seed?!
You weren't catching a healthy State ...
You can beat Rox without HCA ..
non of the bottom 5 seeds can beat the Spurs in a 7 game series...
Leonard wasnt winning MVP ...
none of this, matters . stay healthy and rested
only the 2nd round of the playoffs and further matters to Pop.
cuz he can beat everyone else with little effort ...
making sure KL is healthy in May is all he cares about ...

Killakobe81
01-08-2018, 03:53 PM
I hate hearing this right here. It’s the statement of spoiled fans. There are hella teams that have to struggle to win games in the regular season just to make the playoffs. We just haven’t had to deal with that for a long time. By that time will come one day. And you won’t be saying that (that’s if you don’t hop off the bandwagon when you can’t take the losses). And how in the hell do you expect to get good seeding? People want to say just get in regardless of seeding but when has that really ever helped someone? Most teams that win have high seeds and homecourt advantage throughout.

they got 2 seed last year lost KL and it all turned to shit ...hi health means more than seeding or chemistry tbh

Old School 44
01-08-2018, 03:56 PM
I actually think "resting" for the Spurs isn't completely about "resting" at all. It's about developing other players. By pulling players from the line up, players that normally wouldn't get as much time will get more time, in some cases they may even start. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of this practice, but I do think it's more than just "resting" players to protect them from injury.

phxspurfan
01-08-2018, 04:01 PM
Rest is about new analytics as people have alluded to. The consensus is that running guys into the ground playing 40 minutes gives u the Thibs/D'Antoni result. Impressive regular season teams that flame out in the playoffs. Case in point look at the 02 Lakers. Shaq basically rested all year and on B2Bs and they destroyed the field in the playoffs, playing like 40mins a game.

If you can coast and turn it on, you should. Just like GS is doing this year. It also prolongs your stars careers by 2-3 years. Look what happened to Grant Hill

Seventyniner
01-08-2018, 04:26 PM

This right here.

UZER
01-08-2018, 06:07 PM
How bout financially?

The spurs aren't the Lakers bulls or Knicks that have such a huge fan base and sponsors to draw from that they are fine whether the team wins or not.

This is what I mentioned in my original post. How much responsibility does the head coach have to keep the fans interested in the games? There are 41 home games and how many are diminished due to rest? The advertisers have paid for the spots. The fans still bought the tickets. But more and more, people aren't attending the games.

People talking about whether or not the Spurs will/won't should/shouldn't pay Kawhi the supermax. Can the Spurs afford to give it to Kawhi if the regular season games are going to be half to 3/4 full?

I think the stadium is half empty for lots of games partly because we're spoiled. But I also think partly because Pop has diminished the regular season to a pointless, boring, subplot that has no bearing to him on the playoffs. He doesn't even care about seeding anymore. Everyone always talks about how Pop gives games away. I know that's hyperbole, but alot of the resting and subsequent lineups play an huge outcome in seeding. if he doesn't care, why should fans? If he's just playing it safe waiting until the playoffs, why shouldn't the fans?

KDKSpurs24
01-08-2018, 06:09 PM
they got 2 seed last year lost KL and it all turned to shit ...hi health means more than seeding or chemistry tbh
Completely missing my points. What I bolded was what I was talking about. And then that health is thrown out the window when all it takes is for someone to rolled underneath your legs or you happen to fall and fracture your wrist. Hell, you can be at home and fall down some stairs or something. Hell, Kevin Love got injured from SLEEPING. Not resting was not the reason KL got hurt.. that can happen to the healthiest person.

ducks
01-08-2018, 06:27 PM
I believe that is what the former president did a lot the current president is kicking ass

ElNono
01-08-2018, 06:51 PM

This team isn't beating the Rockets if they have HCA... not with the calls Frauden and CP3 get, especially at home, tbh...

Also, choking to the Thunder is a Spurs' past time lately, I wouldn't put it past this team to go down against them too...

Killakobe81
01-08-2018, 07:57 PM
This team isn't beating the Rockets if they have HCA... not with the calls Frauden and CP3 get, especially at home, tbh...

Also, choking to the Thunder is a Spurs' past time lately, I wouldn't put it past this team to go down against them too...

can and will are two different things ...
Can the Rox win? Sure but so can the Spurs ...life depending on it gun to your head ...are you taking a healthy Leonard, Pau and Aldridge coached by Pop? Or the noted playoff strugglers led by Finals virgin D'antoni?!
Pop owns mike d ...

William Hung
01-08-2018, 08:05 PM
It's the elephant in the room. Everyone but Pop sees it.

marinoman
01-08-2018, 09:50 PM
Seeding isn’t important, you get 1 extra home game and only if the series goes to 7. It has nothing to do with being spoiled, we’ve lost serveral series having homecourt and we’ve won serveral series while losing homecourt in game 1. Homecourt means little, it’s not irrelevant , but little. It’s better to have it for a potential game 7 but it’s not important. If the spurs are a championship team then being the 1 or 4 won’t mean much
the reason most championship teams are the 1,2, 3 seed is in 82 games the cream rises to the top through 82 games. Cavs were the east 2 seed last year but noone picked them to lose. If cavs are a 3 sead this year will it matter? Hell no
the better team almost always wins regardless of homecourt. If two teams are razor close then yea homecourt will determine the winner
therefore if 1 potential extra home game isn’t important so the regular season isn’t important.
Just get through the regular season healthy as possible

Keepin' it real
01-08-2018, 10:03 PM

The point is they are getting injured because of the Pygmalion effect. The paranoid overkill in regard to injury prevention is leading to injuries.

No, I can't PROVE that. But it's obviously true in this case.

tholdren
01-08-2018, 10:29 PM
Some good nuggets here that offer different views than what you're saying.

More- http://hoopsanalyst.com/?p=1674

Lol resting for 8 hours of sound sleep is all you need for playing basketball 30 minutes in one night. The argument that you need days to recover is in fact stupid and just plain wrong.

tholdren
01-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Rest is about new analytics as people have alluded to. The consensus is that running guys into the ground playing 40 minutes gives u the Thibs/D'Antoni result. Impressive regular season teams that flame out in the playoffs. Case in point look at the 02 Lakers. Shaq basically rested all year and on B2Bs and they destroyed the field in the playoffs, playing like 40mins a game.

If you can coast and turn it on, you should. Just like GS is doing this year. It also prolongs your stars careers by 2-3 years. Look what happened to Grant Hill

You name one person and there are literally hundreds of other athletes that prove your grant hill theory wrong. Stockton, malone, kareem, hell magic had hiv and played consecutively... bird, mchale, jordan, iverson, shawn kemp, you want me to keep naming?

Youre talking about 30 munutes of playing.

Now think about bodybuilders... its just sad how this has become a thing

bklynspursfan
01-08-2018, 10:40 PM
Lol resting for 8 hours of sound sleep is all you need for playing basketball 30 minutes in one night. The argument that you need days to recover is in fact stupid and just plain wrong.

That's a really simplistic view that I guarantee no professional basketball player would agree with lol

tholdren
01-08-2018, 10:43 PM
That's a really simplistic view that I guarantee no professional basketball player would agree with lol

Of course they wouldnt. They know nothing about how the body works. 95 percent of these players have never taken a health nutrition or ex phys class.

Again acting like you need days to recover is stupid. Amazing how lamarsha has been the best spur, played over 30 mpg and what almost every game? All the other stars on teams do it. Youre not smart if you buy into this rest shit. Read a book

bklynspursfan
01-08-2018, 10:47 PM
Of course they wouldnt. They know nothing about how the body works. 95 percent of these players have never taken a health nutrition or ex phys class.

Again acting like you need days to recover is stupid. Amazing how lamarsha has been the best spur, played over 30 mpg and what almost every game? All the other stars on teams do it. Youre not smart if you buy into this rest shit. Read a book

Well, it's not only athletes, it's trainers and other folks who have some sort of insight and have read plenty of books.

I gave several quotes and you chose to think they're full of it lol no one is saying it's a requirement or you can't play well if you don't rest. But even using LMA as an example, how many games have we seen him look really bad and slow/passive/weak out there? It's happened a couple times this season where he wasn't himself. Maybe an extra day off would've helped him :wakeup

tholdren
01-08-2018, 10:52 PM
Well, it's not only athletes, it's trainers and other folks who have some sort of insight and have read plenty of books.

I gave several quotes and you chose to think they're full of it lol no one is saying it's a requirement or you can't play well if you don't rest. But even using LMA as an example, how many games have we seen him look really bad and slow/passive/weak out there? It's happened a couple times this season where he wasn't himself. Maybe an extra day off would've helped him :wakeup

Youre a retard if you think trainers say to work out for 30 minutes and then take days off for proper rest. Common weight splits are 5 and 2 with each of the 5 days pr ing.

bklynspursfan
01-08-2018, 10:57 PM
Youre a retard if you think trainers say to work out for 30 minutes and then take days off for proper rest. Common weight splits are 5 and 2 with each of the 5 days pr ing.

Keep going off topic and deflecting lol

The facts and science are there. Keep being ignorant on the topic tho. You've got experts in the matter who disagree

tholdren
01-08-2018, 10:59 PM
Keep going off topic and deflecting lol

The facts and science are there. Keep being ignorant on the topic tho. You've got experts in the matter who disagree

I just gave you facts. You have no idea what you are talking about. But keep posting. Dumb

bklynspursfan
01-08-2018, 11:02 PM
I just gave you facts. You have no idea what you are talking about. But keep posting. Dumb

You gave me an extremely irrelevant comparison. I gave you an article and several quotes. Workouts do not equal NBA basketball

tholdren
01-08-2018, 11:04 PM
You gave me an extremely irrelevant comparison. I gave you an article and several quotes. Workouts do not equal NBA basketball

The only logical thing you said is your last sentence

tholdren
01-09-2018, 12:23 AM
Lma b2b 30 and 10... no rest.. almost like science disproves the rest theory... which it does

ducks
01-09-2018, 12:24 AM
Science proves global warming is a myth

tholdren
01-09-2018, 12:25 AM
You believe in rest you believe in flat earth

KDKSpurs24
01-09-2018, 12:30 AM
Seeding isn’t important, you get 1 extra home game and only if the series goes to 7. It has nothing to do with being spoiled, we’ve lost serveral series having homecourt and we’ve won serveral series while losing homecourt in game 1. Homecourt means little, it’s not irrelevant , but little. It’s better to have it for a potential game 7 but it’s not important. If the spurs are a championship team then being the 1 or 4 won’t mean much
the reason most championship teams are the 1,2, 3 seed is in 82 games the cream rises to the top through 82 games. Cavs were the east 2 seed last year but noone picked them to lose. If cavs are a 3 sead this year will it matter? Hell no
the better team almost always wins regardless of homecourt. If two teams are razor close then yea homecourt will determine the winner
therefore if 1 potential extra home game isn’t important so the regular season isn’t important.
Just get through the regular season healthy as possible
Check my other reply somewhere around here. I spoke of how injuries can happen whenever.

Ice009
01-09-2018, 11:47 AM

The best players in the league usually play A LOT of minutes. There is exceptions, but the best players usually play higher minutes. The best player on the Spurs this season is by far LA. and he's played in most games and played more minutes than most of the other players on the team. Stop trying to back up the FO all the time.

This resting shit is retarded. The guy who a lot of people consider the best player of all time, his former trainer thinks it's stupid too.

bklynspursfan
01-09-2018, 12:35 PM
The best players in the league usually play A LOT of minutes. There is exceptions, but the best players usually play higher minutes. The best player on the Spurs this season is by far LA. and he's played in most games and played more minutes than most of the other players on the team. Stop trying to back up the FO all the time.

This resting shit is retarded. The guy who a lot of people consider the best player of all time, his former trainer thinks it's stupid too.

The bitching about resting is retarded this year considering he is resting people far less, due to all the injuries. Injury management does not equal rest. Manu's reason for being out last night? Rest... How often have you seen guys sitting out for rest?

The game is different than it was 25 years ago. The technology and science is available to show different things these days. I remember Kerr referencing something he saw on SportsVU that indicated his players were slowing down during a certain stretch of their schedule, so he opted to rest them the next game. Stuff like that didn't exist before.

But sure, it's retarded.

ceds
01-09-2018, 08:19 PM

This 100%!

As long as kawhi is 100% come playoff time we can beat any team aside from G/S in a 7 game series.

DeadlyDynasty
01-09-2018, 08:47 PM
I believe that is what the former president did a lot the current president is kicking ass
:lol

marinoman
01-09-2018, 09:54 PM
Check my other reply somewhere around here. I spoke of how injuries can happen whenever.
I don’t need to look at your stats or whatever on injury rate to know 40 marathons lead to less injury/pain than 40 marathons or whatever the constant running and jumping plus contact equate to

marinoman
01-09-2018, 09:56 PM
This

Stabula
01-10-2018, 07:19 AM
Honestly I wish NBA was like the NFL where each team only played once maybe twice per week and each regular season game had a lot of impact. It'd make the season a lot more exciting and rest wouldn't be an issue.

NameLess Scrub
01-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Resting is a given for older guys, imo. The body is wearing down and takes longer to recover. That's why they don't play b2bs.

For young guys, I think playing less minutes works. They don't need to rest entire games if healthy. Just don't run them to the ground every night so their bodies don't wear down as quickly or they run out of gas by the POs.

BB is a very high impact sport. Sprinting and jumping all the time, quickly changing directions, chasing offensive players laterally.. all that costs physically.

This doesn't mean a coach should constantly rest players, specially a lot the same night. That's when respect for fans, sponsors etc comes to play.

I do think seeding is important, it's just that health is more important.

tholdren
01-10-2018, 06:22 PM
The bitching about resting is retarded this year considering he is resting people far less, due to all the injuries. Injury management does not equal rest. Manu's reason for being out last night? Rest... How often have you seen guys sitting out for rest?

The game is different than it was 25 years ago. The technology and science is available to show different things these days. I remember Kerr referencing something he saw on SportsVU that indicated his players were slowing down during a certain stretch of their schedule, so he opted to rest them the next game. Stuff like that didn't exist before.

But sure, it's retarded.

Yep. Its less physical. No need for rest. Its a philosophy, not science. But keep pretending. Steve kerr was so dumb he tried to have his back surgically repaired when that is extremely ignorant. But keep quoting old, out of shape, and medically irresponsible people. Its like a fat person blaming genetics for lifestyle. You dont need to sit out for rest.

Stabula
01-10-2018, 06:33 PM
A lot of pseudo-intellectuals spouting off nonsense in here.

SequSpur
01-11-2018, 12:06 AM
If Pop rests players on Friday, I'm raising hell with the Spurs organization on Friday. I'm tired of getting fucking hosed trying to sell my tickets or going to games and seeing shitty players playing. They will probably lose to the lakers tomorrow and then rest everyone Friday. Book it.

UZER
01-11-2018, 12:18 AM
If Pop rests players on Friday, I'm raising hell with the Spurs organization on Friday. I'm tired of getting fucking hosed trying to sell my tickets or going to games and seeing shitty players playing. They will probably lose to the lakers tomorrow and then rest everyone Friday. Book it.

That's why I asked in my OP, what responsibility does Pop have to the fans and sponsors to put the best product on the floor? People have paid alot money to these players and franchise. He made the fans care less about the regular season just like he does. ands that's not good for franchise like San Antonio. It can be tolerated financially in spurts, but not year after year.

cjw
01-11-2018, 02:33 AM
You name one person and there are literally hundreds of other athletes that prove your grant hill theory wrong. Stockton, malone, kareem, hell magic had hiv and played consecutively... bird, mchale, jordan, iverson, shawn kemp, you want me to keep naming?

Youre talking about 30 munutes of playing.

Now think about bodybuilders... its just sad how this has become a thing

Bird’s body broke down as did McHale’s at relatively young ages. Just because you spew things doesn’t make it true. Try harder next time.

People saying rest / injury management doesn’t matter are as crazy as anti-vaccine people

tholdren
01-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Bird’s body broke down as did McHale’s at relatively young ages. Just because you spew things doesn’t make it true. Try harder next time.

People saying rest / injury management doesn’t matter are as crazy as anti-vaccine people

Larry bird played 13 seasons. He was scoring 20 ppg his last season at age 35. You have no idea what you are talking about. Injury management and rest arent the same. Youre just not smart

bklynspursfan
01-11-2018, 09:36 AM

Uh, I wouldn't book anything considering the Spurs don't play Friday.....

tholdren
01-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Rest in an nba schedule is not needed for supposedly the most elite atheletes in the world

Dex
01-11-2018, 06:28 PM
Uh, I wouldn't book anything considering the Spurs don't play Friday.....

Technically, he's bound to be correct. Pop will not be playing any players on Friday.

Book away.

Dex
01-11-2018, 06:29 PM

Bird also hurt his back trying to gravel his own driveway like a dumbass.

bklynspursfan
01-11-2018, 06:34 PM
Technically, he's bound to be correct. Pop will not be playing any players on Friday.

Book away.

:lol true.. whole squad/coaching staff gets a DNP-Rest

tholdren
01-11-2018, 06:36 PM
Bird also hurt his back trying to gravel his own driveway like a dumbass.

Yep not enough rest

SequSpur
01-12-2018, 07:24 PM

Book away.

Thanks for having my back bro... FO, I meant Saturday.

SequSpur
01-12-2018, 07:26 PM
That's why I asked in my OP, what responsibility does Pop have to the fans and sponsors to put the best product on the floor? People have paid alot money to these players and franchise. He made the fans care less about the regular season just like he does. ands that's not good for franchise like San Antonio. It can be tolerated financially in spurts, but not year after year.

Good eloquent take.. I never thought of that but you're exactly right. Why should we buy their shit if he doesn't give a shit? They will probably move to Seattle anyway. They are shit now and they rest their players. They don't have a chance in hell to win a playoff series right now. Foolsgold. Good stuff.

spursfaninla
01-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Rest does not guarantee you will not have injuries, but it reduces the chances. Few teams have the depth to survive in the playoffs without their key players. However we can optimally reduce the risk of injury while giving ourselves favorable seating for the playoffs and develop an offense and defense in rhythm is the right answer, and I think that is what pop shoots for.

The following study http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/1590-Preventing-in-game-injuries-for-NBA-players.pdf commissioned by Ticketmaster (?) indicated the following factors were the most reliable predictors of injury in NBA players:

(1) the average speed at which a player ran during games;
(2) the total number of games played;
(3) the average distance covered by a player;
(4) the average number of minutes played; and
(5) the average number of field goals attempted.

Resting players whole games, as well as resting them more during a game, would appear to me to impact several of those factors, and make it less likely the players will have injuries.

Having lived through several playoff runs ruined by injuries, I would think spurs fans would have learned that lesson and would always err on the side of caution. Not saying rest would have or could have prevented the injury per se, only that it reduces the risk of injury and I am in favor of that. Just like, no guarantee a seat belt will keep you from dying in a car crash, but I prefer to err on the side with probability on its side.

And as a fan, I understand being pissed off if i buy a ticket and my favorite player is not playing. But as a fan, I have the higher goal in mind, and would never be bitter about it because its all about the ring,and giving us the best chance at that.

If the NBA and sponors care about this, they can change the rules.

tholdren
01-15-2018, 08:02 PM
Rest does not guarantee you will not have injuries, but it reduces the chances. Few teams have the depth to survive in the playoffs without their key players. However we can optimally reduce the risk of injury while giving ourselves favorable seating for the playoffs and develop an offense and defense in rhythm is the right answer, and I think that is what pop shoots for.

The following study http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/1590-Preventing-in-game-injuries-for-NBA-players.pdf commissioned by Ticketmaster (?) indicated the following factors were the most reliable predictors of injury in NBA players:

Resting players whole games, as well as resting them more during a game, would appear to me to impact several of those factors, and make it less likely the players will have injuries.

Having lived through several playoff runs ruined by injuries, I would think spurs fans would have learned that lesson and would always err on the side of caution. Not saying rest would have or could have prevented the injury per se, only that it reduces the risk of injury and I am in favor of that. Just like, no guarantee a seat belt will keep you from dying in a car crash, but I prefer to err on the side with probability on its side.

And as a fan, I understand being pissed off if i buy a ticket and my favorite player is not playing. But as a fan, I have the higher goal in mind, and would never be bitter about it because its all about the ring,and giving us the best chance at that.

Of course. Not driving car every day decreases chance you get in wreck because you drive less. But youre right that doesnt decrease all chance of injury, and as spurs have seen this year, doesnt really fit into this probability. And i really dont know if it is possible to reach full potential doing this.

The body responds by pushing itself past previous limits. This is how you grow when lifting weights or conditioning. If someone is casually playing and never pushing themselves to beat past output i dont know how it is possible to get better/faster/stronger.

Capt Bringdown
01-16-2018, 03:07 PM
Spurs need to get better. A lot.
Resting will not accomplish that.
/sorted

spurraider21
01-16-2018, 03:09 PM
he has guys constantly getting injured this season... green, anderson, kawhi, manu, gasol, gay. i dont think ramping up their minutes is the solution tbh

lma has rested 2 games. this is being blown out of proportion

tholdren
01-16-2018, 04:52 PM
Cjw needs rest

Stabula
01-16-2018, 09:59 PM

Quality post.

Ice009
01-16-2018, 10:08 PM
My take is that everyone was healthy to start the season apart from Tony and Kawhi. Most players seemed to be OK for a good stretch to start the season (apart from Joffery who sprained his ankle), then when he started resting people on a regular basis, injuries started piling up.

cd98
01-16-2018, 10:40 PM
Latest Lowe Post episode goes into Spurs never playing anyone. Lowe says it’s impossible to assess if they are any good. VanGundy talks about how everyone used to play until this culture started treating the regular season like it was boring and unimportant. All good points. Van Gundy also hailed Spurs team performance against Rockets in the playoffs last year.

bklynspursfan
01-17-2018, 11:50 AM
My take is that everyone was healthy to start the season apart from Tony and Kawhi. Most players seemed to be OK for a good stretch to start the season (apart from Joffery who sprained his ankle), then when he started resting people on a regular basis, injuries started piling up.

Who was being rested on a regular basis? This is what i'm legit confused by some of you guys.I posted earlier the games played by most our rotation guys, even 39 y/o Pau isn't being rested. Outside of Kawhi/TP (who are rightfully being brought along slowly) and Manu on b2b's. there hasn't been much rest. DG had his injury thing, Gay got hurt , Anderson got hurt, Joff got hurt, Manu is now hurt,.. You won't find many DNP-Rest this season

Ice009
01-17-2018, 12:30 PM
I'm pretty sure Pau has rested a game or two. LA has rested at least one game, maybe two? Manu, as you said has rested even though he's looked fine in the first game of a lot of those back to backs. Rudy, I think I recall has rested some. Other players have gotten injured IMO because players being rested sit out the whole game, when all you had to do is limit their minutes within the so called "rest games". Sitting them out altogether from games is counterproductive. It's better that they play, but play less minutes. This way they can keep a rhythm too. Kyle got hurt in a game where resting was in practice. It's overworking the healthy players, who are then getting injured in later games when the extra stress that they're not used to starts accumulating.

I think LA is doing OK with playing more because he's used to it. He's more conditioned to it. Most of the other players on the team are not. You either get them conditioned, or leave them in their normal roles. Don't half ass it like Pop is doing. That's not helping anything.

bklynspursfan
01-17-2018, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Pau has rested a game or two. LA has rested at least one game, maybe two? Manu, as you said has rested even though he's looked fine in the first game of a lot of those back to backs. Rudy, I think I recall has rested some. Other players have gotten injured IMO because players being rested sit out the whole game, when all you had to do is limit their minutes within the so called "rest games". Sitting them out altogether from games is counterproductive. It's better that they play, but play less minutes. This way they can keep a rhythm too. Kyle got hurt in a game where resting was in practice. It's overworking the healthy players, who are then getting injured in later games when the extra stress that they're not used to starts accumulating.

I think LA is doing OK with playing more because he's used to it. He's more conditioned to it. Most of the other players on the team are not. You either get them conditioned, or leave them in their normal roles. Don't half ass it like Pop is doing. That's not helping anything.

I mean Pau has played 43/45 games, I wouldn't consider that being rested on a regular basis. Rudy I remember played most his games early on, then folks thought he needed a rest because his level of play started to go down. And it's not crazy, the guy was out of basketball for a long time, he was bound to go through some rough patches.

But like Anderson played a lot more because Kawhi was injured, not due to rest. And let's be honest here, he landed awkwardly. Maybe it was due to overuse (not definite) but again, he was in there because Kawhi has been out/limited.

Joff hurt his finger on a freak injury type deal, and hurt his ankle which is obviously quite common in basketball.

Aldridge (like Pau) has played 43/45. Patty/Bryn/Murray have all played 45/45. Davis has played 41/45 (tho his mpg are probably all over the place)

Forbes and Anderson's minutes have doubled since last season, (and Anderson played heavier mins to end last season with Kawhi going out) but our other core guys are all playing about the same amount of time. I don't know if you can attribute these guys injuries to overworking honestly. It just seems to be more bad luck than anything.