PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan's First Playoff Game

Thomas82
01-08-2018, 02:46 PM
With last night's game being so frustrating, I was looking around on YouTube for something to get that bad taste out of my mouth. I was in the mood to watch some clips of a young Tim Duncan (pre-knee injury). I happened to stumble across Tim Duncan's first playoff game vs the Suns.....the full game. Since I didn't get to see the game in its entirety 20 years ago because I had a track meet, I decided to watch it right then. If I had to come up with a top 5 list of all-time favorite playoff games, this one would be on it.

The things that stood out most to me besides Tim Duncan's 2nd half explosion were:

-How athletic David Robinson still was at 32 years old after 2 career-altering injuries.
-How explosive young Antonio McDyess was before his knee injury.
-Our Triple Towers lineup.
-The Suns having Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, and Kevin Johnson as their point guard rotation.
-Us winning the game despite only getting 6 points from our bench.
-The Suns missing Rex Chapman.

Out of curiosity, does anybody remember why Phoenix was the 4th seed over us even though we had identical records?

Anyway, here's the game in case anybody wants to watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G71R8mPtoY

Kool Bob Love
01-08-2018, 03:03 PM
:wow :worthy::worthy:

daslicer
01-08-2018, 03:11 PM
With last night's game being so frustrating, I was looking around on YouTube for something to get that bad taste out of my mouth. I was in the mood to watch some clips of a young Tim Duncan (pre-knee injury). I happened to stumble across Tim Duncan's first playoff game vs the Suns.....the full game. Since I didn't get to see the game in its entirety 20 years ago because I had a track meet, I decided to watch it right then. If I had to come up with a top 5 list of all-time favorite playoff games, this one would be on it.

The things that stood out out most to me besides Tim Duncan's 2nd half explosion were:

-How athletic David Robinson still was a 32 years old after 2 career-altering injuries.
-How explosive young Antonio McDyess was before his knee injury.
-Our Triple Towers lineup.
-The Suns having Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, and Kevin Johnson as their point guard rotation.
-Us winning the game despite only getting 6 points from our bench.
-The Suns missing Rex Chapman.

Out of curiosity, does anybody remember why Phoenix was the 4th seed over us even though we had identical records?

Anyway, here's the game in case anybody wants to watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G71R8mPtoY

Spurs were 1-3 against the Suns during the regular season thus the Suns were given the tie breaker and got the 4th seed.

Thomas82
01-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Spurs were 1-3 against the Suns during the regular season thus the Suns were given the tie breaker and got the 4th seed.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that.....thanks!!

SAGirl
01-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Nice thread. :toast

Thomas82
01-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Nice thread. :toast

Thanks.....just wanted to give everybody a breath of fresh air after last night.

Spurtacular
01-08-2018, 06:53 PM
:lol Duncan guarding Kidd each trip up the court.

Thomas82
01-08-2018, 08:06 PM
:lol Duncan guarding Kidd each trip up the court.

Yeah, I got a kick out of it too.

BillMc
01-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Thanks.....just wanted to give everybody a breath of fresh air after last night.
:toast Well done.

Ice009
01-08-2018, 10:26 PM
Like I told you guys before, Pop had TD guarding PGs some games. He was pretty athletic back then. Everyone says he can't or couldn't ever jump over a phone book, but back then he could get up. He didn't have Amare hops, but I think overall Tim was more athletic than even Amare. TD also had great/elite lateral quickness. Athleticism isn't just about jumping high. He was the real deal back then.

Thomas82
01-08-2018, 11:27 PM
Like I told you guys before, Pop had TD guarding PGs some games. He was pretty athletic back then. Everyone says he can't or couldn't ever jump over a phone book, but back then he could get up. He didn't have Amare hops, but I think overall Tim was more athletic than even Amare. TD also had great/elite lateral quickness. Athleticism isn't just about jumping high. He was the real deal back then.

Even a rookie Tim Duncan would be the best big man in the game today.

YGWHI
01-10-2018, 11:45 AM
THANKS OP for this thread. :toast

Even a rookie Tim Duncan would be the best big man in the game today.
Without a doubt

Thomas82
01-10-2018, 12:28 PM
THANKS OP for this thread. :toast

Without a doubt

You got it man......I'll have something else for you soon.

Arcadian
01-10-2018, 07:11 PM
-Duncan starting at SF and guarding the opposing team's PG...people forget how versatile he was.

-Robinson vs Robinson, and Johnson vs Johnson

CGD
01-10-2018, 11:40 PM
Woah, great find.

Remember that triple tower bs, haha. Also, that was the last season I think D. Rob looked like prime D. Rob.

YGWHI
01-11-2018, 07:46 PM
You got it man......I'll have something else for you soon.

:hungry:

You always make great threads. A lot of good data, amazing video...Thanks you again. :tu

Russ
01-11-2018, 09:46 PM
One year later (as a mere sophomore) he was NBA Finals MVP.

Thomas82
01-11-2018, 11:36 PM
One year later (as a mere sophomore) he was NBA Finals MVP.

And probably should have been regular season MVP.